Whenever someone release a new tool to jailbreak iOS firmware, most users will automatically assume that it’s stable enough to use Cydia right away. In rare cases, that’s totally true. However, with packages like Cydia Substrate, Winterboard, and many other popular jailbreak tweaks and themes that rely on each other, the whole tweak will break.
Jailbroken users are always recommended to hold off on installing new jailbreak tweaks and themes that aren’t compatible with their firmware.
Now that iOS 9 Jailbreak is achievable using Pangu tool, it’s no doubt that you’ve tried to install at least one theme and applied on Winterboard. Noticed how the tweak isn’t working and the overall interface of your iPhone or iPad doesn’t change at all. This happens because developers need sometimes to update their packages.
Luckily, there is a simple way to fix Winterboard from not working and make it compatible with iOS 9.
Winterboard is not working? Here’s how to fix it
Note: Remove the current installed Winterboard before you proceed.
- Go on Cydia > Install iFile and iCleaner
- On your iOS device download this modified Winterboard .deb file for iOS 9
- Navigate to /applications in the iFile tweak and modify Winterboard.app to anything you want (Ex: Winterboard1.app)
- Open up iCleaner and tap on the Clean button
- Respring your iPhone or iPad
- Repeat Step 3 but this time change the .app back to its original name and also Step 4
Winterboard should adopt all the changes that we’ve made earlier and you should be able to use it without any problem on iOS 9. Test it out by installing a theme from Cydia and apply it.
You can call me a geek, blogger, jailbreaker, or anything you want. Just know that I love to write about All Things Apple, Cydia tweaks, and Jailbreak Guides.