iTunes 11: How To Create Free Ringtone and Text Tone

Apple has officially released the iTunes 11. The user interface is completely redesigned that is much simpler and clean. So far I love the upgrade but I’m concerned if it still allows user to create custom ringtone from any song in my music library.

It turns out the feature is still here and you’re allowed to create ringtone with 40-second in length. If you want to create your own ringtone or text tone for your iOS devices, instead of purchasing the tones from iTunes store, this step-by-step guide is specially for you. The procedures are completely tested on Mac, however, I think they should also work for Windows users. For those who are using older version of iTunes (e.g. iTunes 10) and have no plan for the upgrade, you can refer to the earlier guide.

Okay, let’s get started.

Procedures to Create Free Ringtone on iTunes 11

1. Launch iTunes 11.

iTunes 11 Logo

2. In your Music library, select a song you want to convert to ringtone.

iTunes 11 Music Library

3. Right-click on the song and select “Get Info” to view the song properties.

iTunes 11 Song Get Info

4. Select “Options” tab. Fill in the “Start time” and “Stop time” to extract the portion of song you want to create as ringtone. From what I know, the length of custom ringtone should not be longer than 40 seconds. Otherwise, iTunes will not recognize it as a ringtone. When you are ready, click “OK” to confirm.

iTunes 11 Song Properties

5. Next, right-click on the song and select “Create ACC Version”.

iTunes 11 Create AAC Version

5. iTunes then automatically extracts the portion of song you have instructed in the previous step. The new song file is just 40-sec in length. This is the song file you’ll work on from step 6 and onwards.

iTunes 11 Extracted Song File

6. Next, right-click on the song and select “Show in Finder”. This opens up Finder and locate the song file you just created.

iTunes 11 Show in Finder

Note: For Windows user, you should choose “Show in Windows Explorer” instead.

iTunes 11 m4a song file

7. Rename the file extension from “.m4a” to “.m4r”. For Mac users, select “Use .m4r” when prompted.

iTunes 11 Rename m4a to m4r

8. Go back to iTunes. Right-click on the song you have created (i.e. the 40 sec version) and select “Delete” to delete the song.

iTunes 11 Delete Song

9. Click “Delete Song” to confirm the deletion and then click “Keep File” when you’re prompted. This tells iTunes to delete the song (the 40 sec version) from music library and keep the actual file.

iTunes 11 Keep File

10. Go back to Finder and double-click on the ringtone file (.m4r) you have just renamed.

iTunes 11 m4r ringtone file

11. The ringtone will automatically add it to the “Tones” library in iTunes. You can now sync it to iPhone as a ringtone or text tone. Enjoy!

iTunes 11 Loaded Tones

As always, leave us comment if you find any problem or have any questions.

, , , ,

296 Responses to iTunes 11: How To Create Free Ringtone and Text Tone

1. Erika H. December 1, 2012 at 3:47 am #

I can’t seem to figure out how to rename the file extension. I am a windows 8 user.

• Simon Ng December 3, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

For Windows 8, you can click “view” on the top toolbar of File Explorer, and select to show file extension. Then click on file name and change the file extension.

• Anthony December 27, 2012 at 5:45 am #

i cant find view… my windows tool bar only says views, and that to change how the icon looks
        please reply and thank u

• Ruby December 28, 2012 at 9:28 am #

The first thing to do is open Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and view the file you wish to change. Go to organize > Folder and Search Options, then click the View tab. Uncheck the box titled “Hide extensions for known file types” Click OK. Now you should be able to see the file extension.

• Von Ehh January 7, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

Thank you thank you. this post really helped A LOT!!!! thank you again =)

• jamasskie February 3, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

THANK YOU RUBY!!!! It took me 2 days to figure this shit out!!!

• Kt February 24, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Thank you Ruby! Was puzzled myself on how to do this x

2. Margaret December 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

I did it. just followed the instruction and got OWN ringtone ever. Thank you so much.

• irina January 7, 2013 at 6:20 am #

i’ve followed all the steps. my ringtone appears on iTunes,section ringtones,but when i’m looking for the ringtone on my iPhone 4S (settings/sounds)does not appears.I’ve sync my iphone after i put my song in ringtones (in itunes).
      What is the problem?Any ideea?
      I have windows 7 and iTunes version 1.0.1

• tony January 24, 2013 at 7:08 am #

wow you are so lucky,I have been trying this for past 2 hours, follow all the instructions perfectly, then when it comes to plugging in my i phone, it syncs my music, but nothing appears in settings/ringtones. Should I be looking for this somewhere else on my phone, or what. Please tell me your secret.
      I have i phone 5 and windows 7

3. Corey December 3, 2012 at 2:20 am #

Thanks for your guide first of all.

I’m having a problem with this still, after several hours I have a 2 second tone that is finally showing up on my iphone 5, however it only shows up as a ringtone, and not as an Alert Tone as I would like to use it. Is there a reason it doesn’t show up as both, or something I can do to make it show up as an alert tone.

4. Tamara December 3, 2012 at 8:33 am #

mine will not change to a m4r it says that there but doesnt ask if i want to change it and says its an mpeg-4 audio file?
    I used to do this all the time on old itunes and now no go :(

5. Rich December 3, 2012 at 11:16 am #

This doesn’t work for me. Even after setting a start and stop time, when I right-click on the song there is no option to Create AAC Version. Anyone know why? I’m on Win7 and iTunes 11.

• Rebbeca December 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

I am having the same problem. I do not have an option for “Create AAC version” I only have an option for “Create MP3 Version”. I tried following the same steps, but it doesn’t work. I am also on Windows 7 and itunes 11

• Rebbeca December 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Okay duh. Found on another board…

“You can only convert to whatever your current import setting is. Go to preferences then import settings to change your import format to AAC. Then you can convert any current song to AAC.”

See I didn’t want my ripped cd’s to be saved in Apple’s lame format so long ago I changed it to copy in as mp3. To make ringtones, I had to switch back temporarily.

Also had to follow Brii’s advice on how to make file extensions visible.

IT WORKED!!

• Paul December 12, 2012 at 3:33 am #

Thank you Rebbeca!! I wasn’t aware of needing to make that change. I see it all so clearly now!!!

• Jon Quimbly December 23, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Thanks, Rebbeca, that’s what I needed also.

• Kyle February 17, 2013 at 5:22 am #

Is there an option to choose where the AAC version saves to? When I create it I hear a sound, so I know its creating the file. But it doesn’t show up in the playlist. I can’t seem to figure out where the file is going.

6. Lili December 3, 2012 at 11:55 am #

I’m on Windows and all the steps worked up to the .m4r thing. I don’t THINK the file converted, and when I went to delete the file from iTunes, it didn’t give a “keep file” option. After I deleted it and clicked on the file in the other folder, it opened with Windows Media Player. More importantly, I don’t see a Tones library anywhere on iTunes . . .

• Jolar December 7, 2012 at 3:37 am #

I have the same problem as you with the keep file option it just deleted it. Thankful if you would help.

• Connie February 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

I too had the same problem…it just deleted the song, and now I can’t find it! Do I have to start all over??? Any help would be great!! :-)

7. Andrew December 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

When i create the AAC version it doesn’t show up in the library!!

8. Brii December 3, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

My file can’t be converted to m4r just by changing the name. I’m using Windows 7. And I can’t just add the (un-converted) file to ringtones, it just doesn’t show up. please help!

• Brii December 4, 2012 at 1:01 am #

I just solved my problem when I took a little time and looked it up. If you’re file doesn’t show up in the tones folder but in music(doesn’t convert to m4r file when changing name), do this:

1. After creating the AAC version of the song you want to use as ringtone, right click on the AAC version.
      2. Click “Show in Window Explorer”. This will open the window where your AAC version is stored.
      3. In the Explorer window, press Alt key on your keyboard. This will bring up the menu bar above your toolbar.
      4. Click , then select to bring up the pop-up window.
      5. Select tab. in the Advanced Setting box, look for “Hide extensions for known file types”. Uncheck it by clicking the box.
      6. Now you should be able to see all the file extensions. Check that your AAC version that you created earlier has indeed m4r extension from the file options.

• Cat December 4, 2012 at 10:56 am #

I’m with you up to #4. Click what? The ALT brought up the menu bar, but I’m confused about how to get to the Advanced Setting box. ???

• Brii December 5, 2012 at 5:54 am #

Yeah sorrym it didnt copy all of it

4. Click Tools, then select Folder options… to bring up the pop-up window.

5. Select View tab. in the Advanced Setting box, look for “Hide extensions for known file types”. Uncheck it by clicking the box.

There you go!

• Anon December 10, 2012 at 12:59 am #

This worked perfectly (Windows 7). Thank you.

• Jamie January 19, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

Where is “tools?”

• Jamie January 19, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

Found it!

9. jmr December 4, 2012 at 1:19 am #

I had some issues with this process which are now resolved. However, in making my errors I ended up with 9-copies of the ringtone in my iTunes Tones library. Is there some way to delete the tones that I don’t need?

10. Daniel December 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

I cant delete the aac version and when i double click the m4r version from the finder it doesnt show up in the tones category because my itunes doesnt have one.
    HELP!!!

11. Jacky December 5, 2012 at 12:43 am #

Hello,

I created the ringtone successfully, it is on my tones library but it doesn’t add to my iphone 4, if you have an answer please help, thank you.

• johnny December 5, 2012 at 10:12 am #

im having the same issue, its on the tones library but it doesnt want to sync into my iphone 4s, all my music does though , very odd

• johnny December 5, 2012 at 10:18 am #

hey i solved it when you plug in your iphone to sync, the iphone icon on the right witht the eject button shows up, click the word iphone not the eject button and then go to tones on the top and check sync all tones , then apply on the bottom right and it shows up on the phone

• Europark2003 January 19, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Johnny’s advice help to solve problem with Windows users, great tips…….

• Rob January 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

Thank you, Johnny. You gave the missing step!

• Brian December 28, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

I have the same issue. I have successfully made a ringtone which appears in my Tones library but when I try to sync with my Iphone I get a pop up window that says it did not transfer that specific tone because it “could not be found”.
      Makes no sense to me.

12. Nia December 5, 2012 at 7:10 am #

Brii thank you so much i got confused then with all the changes x

13. Jessica December 6, 2012 at 12:29 am #

When I create the ACC Version, it is zero seconds long. It never retains the time extracted from the original version.

Any help?

14. James December 6, 2012 at 1:28 am #

i did all wht u said.Songs displayed in TOnes library then i connected to iphone afterwards wht to do guide me i couldnt find in Itunes help me

15. James December 6, 2012 at 11:44 am #

I recieve a message saying that “The Ringtone was not copied to Iphone bcz the duration is too long ”

but original duration is just 0.50 sec only

16. sagi December 8, 2012 at 12:21 am #

I did same as mentioned above and I can see the created ringtone in itunes but when i sync no ringtone is stored on my phone.

Thanks in Advance…

• yefim December 12, 2012 at 4:29 am #

Same here… Hadn’t any problem with the previous steps, but after the syncing no file appears on the list of tones.

17. SHAWN December 8, 2012 at 1:16 am #

Thanks a lot mate, worked perfectly!

18. Joshua Ng December 8, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

I’m using Lion OSX and iTunes 11, and there’s only “Create MP3 Version” which was “Create AAC version” on previous version of iTunes. Then never mind, I’d converted the song and changed the file name into m4r, but I can’t drag it to my “Tones” library there. :( How to fix it? Just synced my iPhone and all of my old ringtones had gone!

• Blugh December 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm #

You have to change the “import CD” settings to aac instead of mp3. Then the “create aac version” will appear instead of mp3.

19. Valoren December 9, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

Thanks so much, all of the directions (and comments!) helped a lot! Worked perfectly with the iPhone 4 and iTunes 11 <3.

20. MissGema December 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

I have followed all of the instructions and I’m still having trouble creating a ringtone.
    I have an iPhone 5 with the latest software (iOS 6,) I have the latest version of iTunes (v.11) and I’m on a Windows Vista.
    I really want Heavy Cross (The Gossip) as my ringtone, it has been my ringtone for years :( My next step is to throw my mobile and laptop out the window.
    Your help is really appreciated.

• Kaylie January 2, 2013 at 7:41 am #

I, too, am having the same issue as MissGema. I have been at this for two days now and cannot get the ringtone on my iPhone 5. I have it in iTunes and in my library in Windows Vista, but can’t download the ringtone to my phone. Can someone PLEASE help us out?

21. sophie December 12, 2012 at 8:37 am #

very helpful! thank you

22. Sarang December 12, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

i did all steps.
    and on step 9 Click “Delete Song” to confirm the deletion and then click “Keep File” when you’re prompted. This tells iTunes to delete the song (the 40 sec version) from music library and keep the actual file.

–it dint ask me to ‘keep file’ , but still i went ahead by removing file.but i found file in finder window that was still open in background.

when in finder i double clicked the m4r file, it was added to the ‘Tones’ library.

But even after sync with iPhone i am not able to see it in sounds->ringtone

Please help…

PS : Using win7 and itunes 11 and IPhone 4s with iOS 6.0.1

• Sarang December 14, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

Hey i figured it out…

once you play it in itunes, go to your Iphone (in itunes s/w) there on top along with apps,music,summary… ect.
      there is a menu for ‘Tones’ open it and select ‘sync tones’
      and now sync your phone.

after sync finished it shows in your iPhone

:) :)

Sarang.

23. Cat December 12, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

I have the same problem not being able to add the tones to my phone even after syncing in iTunes with they phone sync button. It looks like it’s syncing but after it’s over, there are no new tones on my phone. I have the 3G (I know, I know… old school)… Thanks for helping!

• Sarang December 14, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Just check my comment on my post…it is figured out…

• Cat December 21, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

Sarang, thanks for replying, but I did figure out what you did about clicking the sync button (exactly what you described) and that does not work for me. I have the tones created and they exist and play in iTunes. I opened the Tones menu and clicked “Sync Tones” and it did something, but my phone never received the tones. Not sure where to go from here. There are no error messages or pop ups that may give me a clue. It seems to work, but the tones do not transfer to the phone. Sigh…..

24. shawn December 14, 2012 at 2:36 am #

The song clip plays in the tones on itunes 11. When I sync my iphone 5 it does not show up. Windows 7.

• Sarang December 14, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

check my latest post and you will be able to add your tone to iPhone

25. Julie December 16, 2012 at 1:10 am #

Okay I’m having problems it will work all the way until I change the file extension to r at the end and then a box pops up and says that it may be unusable and I click okay and delete it like the instructions say but it wont show up in my itunes help please thanks

26. Trang December 16, 2012 at 9:28 am #

This procedure works with iphone 4 but not 4s

27. krishna December 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

thanx brill and simon blog i maked my ringtone again thanx to brill

28. Kyle December 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

Sooo, the song wont sync to my phone? Though it shows up in my itunes “Tones” tab.

29. Cheng December 18, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

I go to my library, but then all I have are “music”, “movies”, “tv shows” and “home sharing”. “Tones” does not appear. So I tried to go to Files > Library > Organize Library, it would not allow me to organize my media into sub-folders. What should I do?

30. thenakats December 19, 2012 at 3:41 am #

i have a Mac OS; itunes11, iphone5 with iOS6 – I have done all of the above and the music and/or iTunes on the phone will not show anything in ‘tones’ other than those to purchase or are in the iTunes store. All my devices are in the cloud why can’t I find my 30sec. tone? I’ve been working on this all day so frustrating

31. Doc Bill December 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Outstanding instructions! Thanks, it worked great (once I actually followed them!)

32. Jon December 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

Wow that was easy – thanks for the instructions!

33. Harry December 23, 2012 at 1:54 am #

Worked Perfectly, Thanks!

34. Terry Adams December 23, 2012 at 8:45 am #

I tried every step above and the ringtone is in the tones part of iTunes. I sinyced with iphone4s, but cannot find the ringtone when I try to add it to a contact.
    Please help!

35. Matthew December 24, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

I cannot seem to change the m4a into m4r.
    There isn’t .m4a after the song name
    however i can see that it is .m4a in properties but i cannot change it
    putting .m4r after the name only changes the name of the tune but has no effect.
    Can you please help me?

36. Matthew December 24, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

I cannot seem to change the m4a into m4r.
    There isn’t .m4a after the song name
    however i can see that it is .m4a in properties but i cannot change it
    Please help me!

37. Kieron December 25, 2012 at 9:32 am #

Thanks for the help!

38. Rachael December 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

For some reason, I no longer have the option “Create AAC Version,” when I right-click on the .mp3 after adjusting the start/stop time.

39. Thomas December 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

For some reason I do not have a “tones” tab in my itunes. I am running itunes 11.0. I have gone under preferences and selected the “tones” box to make the tab view able, but it does not show up. Any help?

• Joelu December 27, 2012 at 3:24 am #

The same happens to me, i dont have a tones tab, please help! :(

• Joelu December 27, 2012 at 3:35 am #

never mind, i just found it… it was in the preference section, you have to select it, and then it appears.

• Thomas December 27, 2012 at 3:37 am #

I have mine checked and i still do not see the tones tab

40. Ezniel December 26, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

How come my songs don’t have m4a
    ??

41. Anthony December 27, 2012 at 5:30 am #

i cant change the file to .m4r im a wondows user. i cant find “file name”

42. Keith December 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

New iPhone 5 user here.. and this helps a lot! Thanks!

43. max December 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

thankyou so much this is fantastic!

44. Pam December 28, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

I have a Motorola Milestone X2 which uses MotoCast USB to sync. The MotoCast USB software does not give me the ability to sync TONES. Is there a way to keep the new ringtone in MUSIC (like it did in previous version of iTunes) so that it will sync to my phone?

45. Guest December 31, 2012 at 2:59 am #

Fantastic! That’s what I am looking for.

46. Minna January 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

I have the ringtone in the tones library but my itunes does not sync it? What to do?

• G January 7, 2013 at 3:55 am #

Have been following the steps to create a ring tone for an Iphone 5 using windows 7 with Itunes 11 but once I create the tone cannot find a “tone library” on my Itunes screen, what am I missing?

47. JC5 January 2, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Worked perfectly – thank you!

48. Phillip Tran January 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Hi i have a question i made the ringtone and everything and i put it into tones and next to the tones that ive made have a circle and i dont see them on the phone so what should i do.

if you can email me at [email protected]

Phillip Tran
    Thanks,

• Octavio January 5, 2013 at 5:32 am #

Same problem here!!! :(

49. Octavio January 5, 2013 at 5:29 am #

I can create the ringtone and all, but when I try to drag the file into the Library – Ringtones, nothing happens, but if I drag it into the iPhone section, the name of the ringtone appears in the Ringtone section of the iPhone, but with grey letters and a dotted circle to the left and anyway its useless and cant be played. :(

I believe this is some iTunes 11.0.1 issue. Help please!!!

50. L January 6, 2013 at 12:33 am #

Ok, guys after doing my head in of what is logical becasue techs say dont make ringtones longer then 30secs, even though on some forums i have read that with version 11 itunes you can go as max 40secs, doesnt work to use for Text tone, New Voicemail, etc what ever you do not not make your ringtones longer then 30secs, as soon as you do which i have tried to do all ringtones at 40secs they will appear in Ringtones to be used for ringtones only and nothing else. So i re-did all my ringtones to max 30secs and sweet, i can use all ringtones for everything else and even my Alarm, everymorning i awake to different tones. One thing to remember is that the ringtones will be under ringtones and not under alert tone where you will see ‘None’, so say when chosing your ringtone ‘Text Tone’, scroll down to Ringtones and you will see all your tones you have created.

• becca arnott July 16, 2014 at 8:20 pm #

is 30seconds the max your ringtone has to be .. or can it be shorter?… I cant find my ringtone that ive made on my phone but i see it on iTunes .. its as if it hasnt synced but I don’t know why?

51. CyrusV January 8, 2013 at 1:19 am #

Hola que tal, saludos desde Mexico
    Con la renovacion del iTunes a mi me dejo de aparecer “Crear Version AAC” ahora me aparece “Crear Version MP3″ trata de hacer la misma operacion pero iTunes no me lo reconoce
    Que es lo que puedo hacer?

—————————————————————————————

Hello that such, greetings from Mexico
    With the renovation of iTunes to let me appear “Create AAC Version” now I get “Create MP3 Version” is doing the same operation but iTunes does not recognize me
    That is what I can do?

52. Anon-I-Mous January 10, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Everything works fine until the part where you have to double click it so it will open into iTunes. It plays in iTunes, but I can’t find it anywhere. No tones folder is created, and dragging and dropping isn’t helping either. Help please?

53. dj January 10, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Thanks a lot dude!!

it was quite helpful. especially with itunes 11

54. JD January 11, 2013 at 4:52 am #

Works brilliantly, thanks so much, would never ever have figured that one out myself!!

55. Michaela January 12, 2013 at 5:53 am #

Ok so every time i click the “create ACC version” it just makes a copy of the whole song. Yes I am putting in a start and stop time before doing this and it s 40 seconds in length. Im on a mac and its really started to tick me off that i cant get this to work!

• Dando, UK February 17, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

Me too. Despite putting in the start and stop time, the stop time remains the length of the song. iTunes therefore does not replicate the song to the length I want. Despite trying this time after time, I get nowhere. So frustrating. I have an iPhone 4 and am running Windows with ITunes v 11. Grrrr

56. Artur January 13, 2013 at 6:36 am #

I figured out that if you will create ringtone longer than 40 seconds, after a sync, it will not show up in iPhone.

All instructions worked for me without any problem btw. Thanks

57. Susan January 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

I have spent hours on this today and have done so previously too but I am told every time that it will not be downloaded on my iphone (4) because it is too long. I have created files of 24 seconds, 30 seconds and 40 seconds and none work. Help before I go completely crazy! FYI when I right-hand click on the song at the beginning no screen comes up. I had to fish around in the iTunes tool bar to find the next steps. S

58. eric January 14, 2013 at 3:01 am #

with the problem iphone doesnt show as a ring tone it has to be exacly 40 sec. long or else doesnt work i hope this helps……………………

59. Austen January 19, 2013 at 3:59 am #

It works great but whenever i go into text tone it doesn’t show up???

60. Doreen January 19, 2013 at 4:32 am #

Please I need help…I’m not having trouble following your instructions but its at step 10 or 11. I go back and find the song ( and this is where maybe my problem is…its not a song its a short tone and its a mp3) I double click it and it doesn’t go back into my itunes…Please can anyone help please…

61. Meyerman January 19, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Thanks for setting it all out so clearly! Worked perfectly.

62. JP January 19, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

Thanks for this, after much hassel and fannying about, this walk through actually works. why do apple make it so hard, if they want to please their users why not just create a button that does all this for you :)

63. Caryl January 20, 2013 at 12:00 am #

Everything worked perfect until the last point. When i double click on the song in finder it doesn’t appear in the tones, it just disappears. Help please, i’ve been at this all day :(

• Doreen January 20, 2013 at 3:36 am #

Same here Caryl…I’ve been trying for 2 days now and still can’t past the last step…wish someone would help us here…

64. Sara January 23, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Hey, my itunes does not create the AAC song, like shortens the song under the original. Any tips?

65. Patti Cobbs January 24, 2013 at 4:35 am #

I purchased an alert tone from itunes on my phone but did not copy into my Sounds folder on my iphone 5. When I did my next sync it did transfer to my MacBook.

Since this tone was already the length it needed to be and was already an AAC format, I duplicated the file and changed the copy to m4r extension. I then went back to itunes and deleted the original but kept the file. Returning to Finder, I followed your instructions and double clicked the m4r file which did put it in itunes and a Genre called Tones. It did not, however, put it in the Ringtone Tones (Bell icon) and if I go back to Finder, it is in a folder called Alert Tones. Even if I drag it to the Tones folder where my other ringtones are located, it does not show up in itunes with the other ringtones and will not sync to my Sound folder on my phone.

Am I doing something wrong or will this not work because of how it was originally records & saved by whoever made it?

66. steve January 24, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Tone does not transfer to phone?
    Is this because I have itunes match on?

67. dckfly January 25, 2013 at 9:23 am #

I get as far as step 5 when I attempt to convert to AAC it says the protected file can not be converted to another format. The file kind is protected AAC. Hmmm…seems no one else has had this problem. What do I need to change to make this work? Thank you in advance for your help.

itunes 11 on Windows 7 pro

68. Alex January 27, 2013 at 4:33 am #

Thank-you so much, you explain it so well and so clearly!
    Keep up the good work :D

69. DJ Six 4 January 28, 2013 at 11:31 am #

I am having issues seeing the new AAC file when I make one, I see itunes is converting it and get a tone when it is done but can only see the original track. I even looked via the finder just to see if maybe I couldn’t see it in iTunes but only the original is on my HD.

• DJ Six 4 January 28, 2013 at 11:43 am #

Ok now I found them but when I change them to mr4 they do not show up in my iTunes to be able to sync to my phone

70. Kaity January 29, 2013 at 4:51 am #

I am good up until the last step…

I double click on the mp4 file
    iTunes appears, playing the file, in the Tones section, but the song is NOT LISTED in tones.

???

71. Dee February 1, 2013 at 11:09 pm #

My iTunes is no longer showing a “Create AAC Version” option for any of my songs. All I get is a “Create MP3 Version” option. Uncertain on how to get the “Create AAC Version.”

72. Nick Bluhm February 4, 2013 at 1:16 am #

Although I had previously created several custom ringtones (Windows) before iTunes 11 , I cannot do it now.

ACC encoder selected in iTunes, shorter ACC Version is created and visible in Windows explorer, File extension is visible……but second shorted track with same file name is not added to iTunes library

Any thoughts?

73. safwan February 4, 2013 at 3:07 am #

thx man,,rly thx,,keep it up bor :)

74. BIg Tip :D February 6, 2013 at 9:58 am #

BTW GUYS, MAKE SURE THE RINGTONE YOU MAKE IS NOT LONGER THAN 0:30 SECONDS OR ELSE IT WON’T SHOW UP IN YOUR RINGTONES ON YOUR IPHONE! :D

75. Jim February 7, 2013 at 8:50 am #

After I click Get Info and enter in the start and end times and click okay, the smaller file does not appear in itunes, just the original song full song that starts and stops at the times I entered in.

76. luke February 7, 2013 at 11:39 am #

it doesnt ask if i want to keep file

77. Dan February 7, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

If you don’t see the Create AAC command go to preferences/import CD setting and change them to AAC. Then the menu will show.

I use iTunes for a lot of MP3 conversion and had to figure it out. Hopefully, this will save someone some time.

78. kroxemia February 10, 2013 at 8:20 am #

I did succeed in creating a ringtone for certain songs. I’ve followed all the steps correctly, but for some reason, when I go the song I extracted from, it only plays that 30-40 second time limit! I can’t listen to the song in its entirety now! What do I do?

• Luciano February 11, 2013 at 1:10 am #

Very easy. Go to this tune’s properties and delete the previously chosen “Start time” and “Stop time” you once filled in for the tune.

79. Luciano February 11, 2013 at 1:07 am #

Hi! This has been frustrating so far. I use a Mac Book Pro and have a ITunes 11.0.1 running. I can thus get so far as right-clicking the file and choosing “Get Info” and filling in “Start time” and “Stop time”, but when I right-click on it again, it doesn’t give me this option “Create AAC version”. I am stuck, how do I go further from here, please?? Thanks very much.

80. BOO February 12, 2013 at 7:11 pm #

Thanks a lot buddy. worked like a charm. :)

81. jo.tee February 16, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

followed your instructions and successfully created a new ring tone and synced with my Iphone but how to i get to use it as a text alert tone? it only shows as a ring tone on my iPhone! (using iTunes 11 on a macbook pro and iOS 6.1 on iPhone 4.

82. Kyle February 17, 2013 at 4:58 am #

I right clicked on get info and chose the time of the song I wanted to create as a ringtone. I went back to the song and right clicked but create AAC version doesn’t show up. How do I find that option? I have itunes 11 and I’m on windows XP

• Luciano February 17, 2013 at 8:17 am #

Hey, didn’t you read my post a few lines above yours? I experience the very same issue. Create AAC version is not displayed on ITunes 11, but in earlier version. I saw how to set up your ITunes for synchronising tunes as AAC, but can’r recall the steps. Try finding this by synchronising your device to your ITunes by going through “settings” or sth like that.

83. ct February 17, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

i followed all the step and when i sync all the tones with my iphone,it didn’t appear on my sounds list..only few tones are synced.why its happen?

84. Leanna February 18, 2013 at 8:54 am #

I got to step 6 but i can not find show in finder it only shows, show in playlist, itunes store, and windows explorer. How do i get to that.? And i know on the old iTunes it automatically showed your library how do i find that or the tones icon?

85. Yhel February 19, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

Thanks johnny…
    You are right.. click the iphone not the eject button..
    and click all tones

86. Dando, UK February 21, 2013 at 5:15 am #

I’m using iTunes 11. I want to make a ringtone but I can’t get iTunes on my PC to start and stop the music at 40 seconds. I fill in the Options box with the start and stop time but whatever time I put in for Stop, it automatically discards it and just puts in the length of the song. Then when I select AAC version I cannot find the duplicate song,no matter if it is the same length as the original. What am I doing wrong. Its doing my head in. I have an iPhone 4 but we don’t ever get as far as syncing it cos I can’t get the PC to create a duplicate song. Thanks for anyone’s help1

87. David February 22, 2013 at 8:42 am #

I created ringtone and text tones, the ringtones worked fine, the text tones appear in the ringtones section of my iphone instead of the alert tones section and when somebody send me text, no sound. My text tones are under 30 sec. Any idea ?

88. TPaige February 22, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

I made the tone and it’s on my phone as a ringtone but it’s not coming up in the text tone section. What do I need to do?

89. renato February 23, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

It worked! But I changed in Preferences > General > Adjustments to use AAC format instead of MP3 to convert to m4a

90. amit February 25, 2013 at 6:29 am #

how to enable the options in the get info section

91. Miguel Callejas February 28, 2013 at 12:20 am #

Amazing! :) Really good with pictures. Sharing.

92. @cole007 February 28, 2013 at 7:12 am #

Thanks Simon – was struggling for a Mac example that worked and explained things properly/simply – cheers

93. Molly Campbell March 1, 2013 at 7:06 am #

I’ve tried these same instructions over and over. The file gets created fine, it’s the right format, but when I double click the file in Finder, it just launches in iTunes, but doesn’t add to the Tones library, and I can’t find any other way to get it there.

• Molly Campbell March 1, 2013 at 7:15 am #

Found the solution – delete the original song and ringtone version from iTunes (keeping the main files) and then try to add back in.

94. gd89 March 1, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

I can’t sync it to my iphone 3GS

I’m using itunes 11, I have the .m4r ringtone in the Tones list and ticked in the box, iphone is connected. ( and this tone is not in my music library either )

I am in the tones tab now and can’t see any button that will let me sync my tones to my iphone.

The only place I can see is in file> devices > sync iphone, but when I do this my tone isn’t transferred to my phone?!

Any advice??

95. Jenn March 3, 2013 at 1:01 am #

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Much easier than another tutorial I was trying to follow.

96. Justin Calderone March 4, 2013 at 12:43 am #

Create AAC isn’t an option on the Windows version

• cosmoscarey March 6, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

yes, i am having this same problem. this is the OLD way to create a ringtone in itunes, but steps don’t work in version 11.0.2.26. No right click to “create AAC”. Help!

• Joeseph Wind March 6, 2013 at 4:56 pm #

i tried the create mp3 then found the file in explorer, figuring i’d be able to change the format there. but no go. nothing i do with the file in explorer lets me change the format

• Ang March 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

1. go to preferences
        2. select the general tab

3. on the general tab, near the bottom, there’s an ‘import settings’ option next to a drop down menu. click on it.

4. the first drop down menu on that page select import using AAC encoder. then click ok.

now when you go back to itunes and right click on a song, you will have the create AAC option.

• Darin Haar March 13, 2013 at 9:34 am #

tried this, it still doesnt show the option to create the acc file?

• Ang March 14, 2013 at 5:18 am #

thats weird, it should have worked.

97. dibbler March 7, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

Thanks for this – step 10 was completely eluding me and therefore couldn’t get it to work until I found your instructions!

98. Katherine March 8, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

When I click delete it just deletes without saving the file . Help?

99. Katherine March 8, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

I got it in my Tones folder already but there’s a dotted circle next to it, why?

100. Qlty > Qty March 11, 2013 at 5:05 am #

Perfect, thank you.

101. JJL March 11, 2013 at 10:31 am #

When I right click on a song and click on the options tab, all the choices including start and stop times are “grey” and don’t activate or respond? Solution?

• LechatnoR March 22, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

This happened to me and I finally realized that the song was playing from icloud (and I imagine you can’t mess with something that’s not actually saved on your machine). I clicked the download icon next to the song title and it worked fine.

102. Emmy March 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

It´s not working. I have tried for 2 hours now, I´m so frustrated. The musicfile I have made to m4r is not showing in my ringtones folder. It shows only in my music library. And I can´t sync it to my Iphone. It only shows as a song in my tunes library. What can I do to fix this?? Please help me out.

• Blue April 25, 2013 at 2:38 am #

I got stuck on this too. You have to do the below steps for revealing the file extension and THEN change it to an m4r. Otherwise it doesn’t make the change, so the file remains an m4a. Good luck!

• Natasha May 16, 2013 at 9:51 am #

go to folder options and uncheck “hide file extension” this would reveal the actual extension which you need to change to .m4r

• Amanda June 19, 2013 at 1:48 am #

I can’t seem to find this option?

• Bella August 27, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

Simon TimK

• 5 months ago

——————————————

-go to control panel

-apperance

-folder option

-view

-uncheck hide extensions

-then just change whatever file you want to “myfile.m4r”

• Amisha July 19, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

you have to double click the m4r file that is in the finder/windows explorer and it gets into the TONES section of itunes. When you run a sync with your phone, make sure you check box the SYNC TONES option

• roby rob November 7, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

go to google and search m4r convert and then add your song then add to itunes for some reason windows is not letting us change the file that easy

103. wa March 13, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

It wont allow me to change to m4r file in windows explorer

• TimK March 17, 2013 at 6:35 am #

Same problem I’m afraid, rename just lets me rename song but won’t let me rename file extension. Any ideas?

• Simon March 17, 2013 at 8:48 am #

-control panel

-apperance

-folder option

-view

-uncheck hide extensions

-then just change whatever file you want to “myfile.m4r”

• LechatnoR March 22, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Brilliant! Thanks.

• irritated!! August 20, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

THAAAAAANK YOOOOOUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          i almost popped a freakin blood vessel in my brain trying to get this shit to work!!

104. Oyadioo March 13, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

Thanks a million……it worked

105. Joelle Lan March 16, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

I cant change to m4r file also, is it because its in Chinese words

106. Lola March 18, 2013 at 4:03 am #

katherine,

I get the same error. When I delete the file it’s gone I don’t get the option to keep the file. What did I do wrong?

107. blakers989 March 18, 2013 at 8:51 am #

on my iphone it lets me make the ringtones but its not letting me make a text tone? anyone know how to fix this?

108. NolinLakeKy March 19, 2013 at 10:28 am #

I’ve gone as far as “delete” and cannot find the delete choice when I right click. I have iphone 5 with itunes 11.

• NolinLakeKy March 20, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

I think I figured out why it wouldn’t delete because I built the 2nd file for the ringtone in my folder of “Recently Added”. I did get the ringtone however by double clicking on it in windows explorer and it automatically added it to the Tones folder. I tried this again and this time I tried the whole process on another song in the “Purchased” folder and it did not make a copy but overrode the song. I cannot find the original song in it’s full length but I do have the ringtone. Can I re-download the song again? I know I will have to pay for it but it will be cheaper that than my time in figuring out what happened.

109. Onemom March 20, 2013 at 1:20 am #

I’ve used this exact process to create my own for years. (PC) However, I am now unable to change to m4r in Windows Explorer. It gives me a warning that it may become unusable, and I accept anyhow. (That warning never showed up until this version, btw) Upon deleting the file in iTunes and clicking on the WE file, I no longer have the new file show up and play immediately in iTunes like it used to. (FWIW, my setting were already correct in my control panel…) Anyone else have this same issue?

110. rdowen March 23, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

It worked! Thanks!

111. ElliotR March 23, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

Get a Windows Phone. Geez. It’s drag and drop in Windows, none of this convert crap LOLOLOL

• RaptorzI March 28, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

I agree. I used to have a “normal” phone with drag n drop. So easy! I don’t know why I let myself get talked into this iPhone. I’ve tried 5 times to add custom ringtones and it never works.

112. kristin March 24, 2013 at 3:42 am #

Thank you!!!

113. ashley March 25, 2013 at 1:21 am #

i got everything to work correctly except i for some reason dont have a “Tones” tab on my itunes so its just saving it to my music? what do i need to do?

• Marc D. Torrence March 28, 2013 at 5:29 am #

Ashley, I’m having the same issue. Can follow all the way through, but don’t find a “Tones” library. Did you ever figure it out?

114. RaptorzI March 28, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

I’ve followed the instruction and the m4r is in the Tones folder, but it won’t sync to my phone and there’s no drag n drop feature with iTunes. So, how do I get the stupid thing on to my phone?????

115. Zarkoon March 29, 2013 at 1:18 am #

it’s absolutely working .. I’ve created many ringtones through it ..

116. Fla March 31, 2013 at 2:48 am #

Genius…Worked 1st time…End of frustration…Thanks

117. reutbmo March 31, 2013 at 5:51 am #

if i go to “get info->options” it wont let me cut the song, i cant press on anything in that screen, everything is grey..
    so i made my oun m4r file, but when i try to drag it to any librery on itunes it dosent work (nor the “add file to librery”)
    please help!

118. Tommy March 31, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

This is a great article. I was able to setup my favorite songs as ringtones on my iPhone 5. Thank you!

119. Ann Kallista April 2, 2013 at 12:27 am #

THANKYOU!

120. Guest April 3, 2013 at 6:50 am #

This does not work–it will not allow me to delete the file extension at all! and rename it in windows explorer! I am using Windows 8 and what the person below suggested with the control panel, there is no “appearance” icon to choose.

121. Quincy Bills April 4, 2013 at 11:31 am #

This is magnificent…

122. gorn April 5, 2013 at 11:05 am #

I have a bit of an odd problem… I have the files converted to .m4r and everything, and I go to import them into iTunes… and they’re just not showing up. I’ve tried just about every roundabout way to import files into iTunes that I can think of and it’s not working. Halp.

123. beanie April 5, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

i have an windows 8 laptop & this doesnt seem to work for me .. i followed the directions through .. but when i double click the ringtone , it plays in itunes

124. Seaman April 6, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

Working, Thanks!

125. Jen April 7, 2013 at 4:58 am #

After doubling clicking, the music file I created wasn’t appearing on my iPhone. What I then did was clicked on my iPhone in iTunes, selected the Tones tab and synced all. The tone then appeared in the Ringtones section of my iPhone!
    Hope that works for anyone having issues.

126. Hau Nguyen April 8, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

i do until the 11st step, but i can’t syn the song to Iphone, could you please help me !!1

127. Loy April 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Thank you! It works. :)

128. Tina April 10, 2013 at 12:01 am #

I have done this; when I get to the sync tones part, I get a pop up warning that my iPhone is synced to another ITunes library. My 2 choices are remove and sync or cancel. I really don’t want to lose my tones that are in my iPhone presently. I have backed up my iPhone to this computer and set this computer as my iTunes system. Do you have a solution?

• Jehad Tayyem October 31, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

same as you, any suggestions?

129. Tennam April 11, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

well in my i tunes I’ve got create MP3 version instead of create ACC version

• Tony Mayo April 27, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

Thanks to cosmoscarey

1. go to preferences
      2. select the general tab

• Rebecca Sutherland May 10, 2013 at 11:53 am #

THANK YOU! I have been going through countless online tutorials trying to figure out how to use the new version of iTunes 11 to do this. I kept running into the same problem as “Tennam” in that mine only gave the option to convert to WAV. You are the only person who has explained how to change this, and it’s working perfectly now!

130. AFitz April 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

Thank you so much! This was driving me & my husband crazy, but this worked – yay!

131. Cherry2k3 April 15, 2013 at 3:51 am #

Yes I have a problem need you help? I have windows 7 and I tried doing everything like you said for my ringtones and it works but it doesn’t show up on my text tone, alert tone , or any of my tones but it just shows in my ringtone? Please let me know wats wrong u can email me [email protected] thank you

132. heidi April 23, 2013 at 12:38 am #

really works… awesome … can easy make a personalised ringtone

133. jack April 28, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

bro it doesnt cum in my tex options only ringtone, and i only did 4 sec

134. Leony May 2, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

how can i delete a ringtone that i’ve made???

135. Alel May 3, 2013 at 11:11 am #

I cant find the ringtones i made in my text tone.. it just appears in ringtone.. what to do?

136. Alan Mejia May 5, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

Works wonderfully

137. Allan Wetzel May 10, 2013 at 3:53 am #

Thank you so much! A few other write-ups for this same tutorial left out the critical step where you must delete the renamed .m4r file from the library and then re-import.

Thanks again!

138. Taz May 20, 2013 at 12:44 am #

This does not work as I followed instructions and there is no Convert ot AAC option in itunes 11

139. glenn May 22, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

how do you change extension with windows 8?

140. suhas May 27, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

i followed all the steps i found tones in tone folder but after synchronizing its not appearing in Ipone 5, where to check those tones in device ??

141. FA June 1, 2013 at 6:29 am #

i have all steps right except that my itunes does not ask “Keep File” as mentioned in step 9 so my original song gets deleted as well.. can any help me fix this??

142. Vincent Carrigan June 4, 2013 at 6:38 am #

Another way to do this is get your sound files you want to use for the tone. Use Soundswitch file coverter to convert to M4R, renaming alone is not enough. Once converted Open iTunes and click “Tones” on the left. Drag your M4R files into iTunes, then make sure the phone is set to Sync tones and sync it.

143. Happy June 5, 2013 at 4:01 am #

Thank you! This worked perfectly, I am thrilled!

144. Integra NOS June 11, 2013 at 4:48 am #

Worked perfect for me! Thanks Guys!

145. Adam June 29, 2013 at 9:18 am #

I cant find “Creat an ACC Format.. ” yes my options are set to encode ACC.. but i cant still find it?

• halehouse August 25, 2013 at 10:38 am #

i’m having the same issue. I have set it to encode in acc but not seeing the option in the right click menu for “Create AAC version”.

146. Jacco June 29, 2013 at 10:10 am #

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever this needs to be this difficult. Holy crap I’m irritated right now.

147. Paxton July 1, 2013 at 12:33 am #

You’re the best. :)

148. Bauke July 11, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

unbelievable, you’re the first that finally fixed it…

I am laughing through all the steps, no man in this world can think of this solution :) you must be an alien. My compliments

149. gåℓє νιℓℓåℓυz July 16, 2013 at 8:26 am #

i’ve done step 1-4 and when i reached step five, i couldn’t find the Create AAC Version when i right clicked the song. I’m confused, help me out please.

150. Jordon July 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

its not working

151. FML July 17, 2013 at 8:47 am #

For some reason my Itunes doesnt have a “Tones” option from the drop menu??

• Joanie July 23, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Go in the options on the left top, tap preferences and in general you will see tones.. check it and press ok. Then you’re supposed to see the option in your menu.

152. Kellie July 17, 2013 at 10:53 am #

i managed to create the tone, but it won’t sync to my iPhone coz iTunes stated the duration is too long. My tone is only 25 sec and 1MB. I tried few times and failed. Please help!

153. Amisha July 19, 2013 at 11:30 pm #

this is great. it worked in the first go! though had to concentrate on the instructions. But i have my ringtones from my blackberry so am excited

154. Jo July 25, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

Genius!! Thank you – brilliant step by step guide. I’ve been searching around for ages for a guide to do this. (I’m a PC!)

155. karimm July 26, 2013 at 5:17 am #

Thanks a million for this great tutorial.

Just one small correction that needs to be done.

On step 5, if you’re using Windows(don’t know about Mac), you have to LEFT-click the file first and then RIGHT-click it.
    Right-clicking only doesn’t show the “Create AAC option” for some stupid reason.

156. Paul July 28, 2013 at 5:44 am #

Thanks, this was the BEST explanation out on the inter webs :) worked great for me. no i have massive ringtone selections

157. questionmark69 July 31, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

Thanks!! This is the only tutorial I managed to follow… :) Worked for me!

158. Alison August 4, 2013 at 6:12 am #

Worked like a dream, thanks.

159. Mrs_Blonde August 10, 2013 at 11:12 pm #

This worked like a charm, thank you so much!!

160. Daniel Gilder August 12, 2013 at 9:03 am #

you don’t need to do all that if you download iringer create your rig tone then instead of dropping it into you phone you drop it in to tone in you library (in iTunes 11) select and hold desired ringtone a side bar should appear with your device name all you do is drag the tone on to it

161. nikhil August 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

created m4r format tones cannot be copy to itunes. can u give me a solution for that

162. Z August 22, 2013 at 6:02 am #

I never would have figured this out myself…you’re AWESOME!! Thanks for the post :)

163. RUDY August 25, 2013 at 12:48 am #

Hi I am using Windows and once I choose Windows Explorer and rename the file if I select “Delete” the file in iTunes ; it just deleted my file and not ask me about “KEEP FILE” ; can you explain how create a Ringtone using Windows please. THANK YOU

164. markeyboy August 25, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

very helpful. thanks a million!!

165. Kyle August 27, 2013 at 5:28 am #

once it’s downloaded it and successfully put on my phone I can only make it a ringtone not a text tone

166. Steve August 29, 2013 at 6:59 am #

ok, all good up to steps 10 & 11, when I dbl click the only thing that happens is the clip plays and will not load into Finder, either with dbl click attempts to drag it. (I have an iPhone 5, Mac iTunes 11). Any ideas? btw, it didn’t work with either a 20 sec. or 40 sec. clip.

167. Rhian August 29, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

i have windows and if i double-click the file(m4r) to move it to itunes, it does not allow me. please reply with help! this is so frustrating and i cant figure out how to do this!!

168. Gupps September 1, 2013 at 2:44 am #

Worked great, thanks!!! The only addition I would add is to go back in to the original file and uncheck the start and stop times so that when the song plays next, it’s the full song.

169. re5513 September 1, 2013 at 11:38 am #

Great. Now, tell me how I can delete a ringtone from iTunes. Step by step, just like you showed above.

170. ieva September 4, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

hello,
    i did al steps 1-10, but then i double click on sond, it plays on itune, but not apperas in tone section… can you help me..

171. ieva September 4, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

hello,
    I did all steps from 1 to 10, but when I double click on ringtone it only plays on itune, but not appears in “tones” section, can yo hellp me?

172. flashtivo September 7, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

Create a ringtone from a song in iTunes 11 on a Mac

1. Open ITunes.

2. Click on Music

3. Search for the song you want to make a ringtone from

4. Click on the Names column header until that song is at the top of the list

5. Double click the song to play it

6. Watch the seconds time counter to see where you want your ringtone to start within the song

7. Write down that time

8. Right click on the song

9. Click on Get Info

10. Click on the box in front of Start Time

11. Enter the time from step 7 above

12. Click on the box in front of Stop Time

13. Enter a time 30 seconds or less beyond the start time. This will be the length of your ringtone. For example, if you specified a start time of 0:10, specify a stop time of 0:40 or less.

14. Click OK

15. Right click on the song

16. Click on Create ACC Version

17. Soon you should see another version of your song just below the original song. The new song will have a Time of 30 seconds or whatever length you specified in step 13 above.

18. Click on the shorter version of your song and drag it to the desktop and drop it. You may have to make your iTunes window smaller so that you can see your desktop, to drop it on.

19. Right click on the shorter version of your song in iTunes and Delete it. Click Move to Trash. This is an important step. If you don’t do this, later steps will not work.

20. Right click on your original song in iTunes and click on Get Info.

21. Uncheck the Start Time and Stop Time, so that your song will play normally in the future. Click OK.

22. Right click on the song on your desktop. Click Get Info.

23. In the Get Info box, find the Name and Extension section. Click on the name of your song and right arrow to the end of the name. You should see .m4a at the end.

24. Backspace one character and change the a to an r.

25. Press the Enter key. You will get a warning. Click on Use .m4r . The file is now a ringtone.

26. Close the Get Info window.

27. In iTunes, click on Tones on the left side

28. Right click on your song on the desktop and drag it to the iTunes window and drop it. Your song should now appear in the Tones list.

How to get the ringtone on to your iPhone

1. Connect your phone to your Mac

2. Click on your phone on the left side of the iTunes window

3. Click on Tones at the top of the window

4. Make sure that Sync is checked. Click either All tones or Selected tones.

5. If you click Selected tones, be sure to check your new ringtone

6. Sync your phone.

• mike March 6, 2014 at 10:53 pm #

i have done everything you said, and double checked as well. everyhting is in m4r, the songs showed up in tones, I synced my phone, and all of my tones are still the defaults that come with the phone. I have also read through the other questions and noticed other people are having the same problem but you do not answer their question. What else do I have to do to see the ringtone appear in my I phone so that I can select it for a ringtone? Is there something I need to change on my Iphone’s settings for this to work?

173. Danny September 8, 2013 at 9:58 pm #

i Got a Problem , i Cant Sync the tones to my iphone 5 from my itunes. It Appears Tunes at my itunes but when i sync i just get some ringtone but another some wont get sync to my phone , what Problem is this ? i tried whole day keep fail…

174. Sally September 14, 2013 at 8:23 am #

It works well! Thankyou for the tutorial~

175. Bonnie Jean September 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

thank you :) The article helped and the comments further helped me troubleshoot.

176. Karen Zinn September 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

In step 5, my window only shows “create an MP3″ as an option, not AAC – I am on a Mac, and using itunes 11.05. Is there a setting in itunes that allows me to change this?

177. Mike September 23, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Very clear and excellent instructions. Many thanks

178. Bill September 27, 2013 at 9:08 am #

Will this work if your music is on IMatch? I’ve tried following the directions but nothing seems to happen.

179. bm October 7, 2013 at 4:06 am #

this doesnt work… as soon as i change the file to m4r it doesnt transfer over to Tones…. please help

180. Mandi October 9, 2013 at 8:46 am #

I’m so fusterated it doesn’t say on mine create AAC version. I did exacely what you said to do! D:<

181. checkpointcheryl October 10, 2013 at 9:35 am #

did not work – all steps work fine until the end, the new file does not show up in the tones or anywhere else — seems to vanish :(

182. Carlos Ishmael October 18, 2013 at 7:21 am #

On the PC, after changing the codec to mp4r, then going back into iTunes and deleting the mp4r, iTunes automatically places the ring tone in the tones folder

183. Hannah October 18, 2013 at 10:51 am #

Everythings working, it was pretty simple, but when I double click to send it to tones its not there? im on windows

184. PK October 21, 2013 at 1:59 am #

Awesome

185. Chi October 24, 2013 at 9:51 am #

The reason that the tone created is not sync to the iphone is the length of the tone. Try to keep it under 40 seconds, and it should work.

186. Aj86 October 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

Excellent. Works perfectly.

187. Hacksaw November 6, 2013 at 9:05 am #

I didn’t have any problems, just wanted to say these instructions were very straight forward and made a relatively complex process extremely simple. Well done Simon

188. heather h November 9, 2013 at 10:39 am #

I cant change mine from a .m4a to a .m4r
    HOW DO I DO IT (on a windows computer)

189. NCBlue November 12, 2013 at 5:54 am #

Anyone having an issue not seeing the AAC or if it is greyed out. Make sure the actual mp3 is showing in your library and that if it is showing in iMatch it has been downloaded. If it isn’t that will prevent you from making an AAC version for copyright reasons

190. jbow November 20, 2013 at 1:11 am #

Hi, I got the cip I wanted, changed it to M4r, it is in my “Tones” folder in iTunes but I cannot get it to my iPhone5. I tried doing a sync and it copied all my albums from my computer to my phone until it ran out of space. I do not keep music on my phone, I use Spotify. I WOULD like to use some custom ringtones but am hung up with the M4r in my tones folder, I managed to delete all the albums off my phone. Is there a way to SYNC WITHOUT getting everything? I see no option except “SYNC” and here comes everything again, don’t want that. Thanks.
    Jb

• jbow November 20, 2013 at 1:12 am #

Clip, not cip…

191. jbow November 20, 2013 at 1:41 am #

The answer tis that the ringtone can not be over 30 seconds long, not 40 seconds. I used this tutorial again with the same music, cutting it down to 29 seconds and put it in the “tones” folder then click dragged it over to mu iPhone (using iTunes). It started to sync a lot of other files and I just clicked the “x” beside the “progress bar and it all stopped, went to Settings>general>usage>music and deleted everything again. The rigntone is on my phone, works, and all my space isn’t used up by music! All is well… 30 seconds MAX.

192. Cristina December 5, 2013 at 3:58 am #

193. Pash December 6, 2013 at 4:03 am #

Works perfectly, done it like in 5 minutes following the instruction

194. C December 9, 2013 at 3:31 am #

Hi I cannot get my ringtone to appear in the tones tab on iTunes. I’ve followed the steps and it is an m4r file. I have windows 8? Is that why I can’t open it up???

195. coopdog1 December 23, 2013 at 9:31 am #

I found it doesn’t work when you do “show in finder”. You need to drag it onto your desktop and then re-drag it into your tones. That worked for me.

196. Satish December 29, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Awesome, THANKS..I really lost hope that iPhone cannot play customize ringtones..your step by step instructions WORKS..I am so amazed that i am playing my favorite ringtone :)

197. David Frank December 31, 2013 at 7:40 am #

Where is the “tones” folder?

198. Bobbi January 21, 2014 at 3:12 am #

I get 1-8 fine. When I hit delete it completely deletes the song.
    Do not get the window asking if I want to send to recycle or keep file. What am I doing wrong?

199. Erica January 22, 2014 at 7:51 am #

yes! worked! Thank you! Follow the instructions but at the end when he says “You can now sync it to iPhone as a ringtone or text tone. Enjoy!” Be sure before you Sync your phone that you go to the tones tab on top and check the box to Sync tones so it will show up in your ringtones section on your phone.

200. sonni January 31, 2014 at 11:46 pm #

thankfull to yu its worked followed yu step by step n iget ma fav tone thanks

201. ?? February 8, 2014 at 11:56 am #

don’t forget when you got the ringtone in your iPhone, go back to the music, right click the music that you just select to create a ringtone, select get info, select options, and uncheck the start and stop time, then ok. However, if you don’t do it, every time you play the music on your desktop, it will be started based on your ringtone time

202. Honest Bob February 15, 2014 at 12:03 pm #

You sir, just stopped me from returning my brand new iPhone. Thank you. this should be tops on the google list. so many have this problem.

203. Venkatesh February 16, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

Hi, that was a great tutorial. I tried and completed all the 11 steps. I can see it in under the Tones in my iTunes library. But could not see the same in Tones folder when I access it through the Settings-> Sounds -> Ringtone. Dont know what is the mistake that I am doing. Please help.

204. Chuck February 19, 2014 at 10:53 am #

Worked perfectly.The amount of steps are a bit annoying but worked like a charm. Thanks

205. The Doctor February 22, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

the .m4a doesnt appear on the file so I cant change to .m4r

206. Jagan March 1, 2014 at 4:45 pm #

I am windows os in that version 9 step is not seen …how to overcome this help me

207. Donna March 11, 2014 at 11:14 pm #

Thank you!

208. Moetanche April 9, 2014 at 11:31 pm #

WORKS!! Just remember when you’ve successfully created the ringtone to go back to the original song and UNcheck the start and stop times so that it will play that song as normal in its entirety.

209. Helpmeplease May 1, 2014 at 12:01 am #

Perfect instructions! simple, clear and effective!

210. Ian May 8, 2014 at 10:12 am #

this process has worked great for me twice now. thank you!

211. Dave West May 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

Do you know what to do when iPhone wont send pictures?

212. TIFF May 26, 2014 at 9:32 am #

SCORE THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

213. pragnesh June 5, 2014 at 6:01 pm #

guys mp4 to mar can not transfer directly . but you have to download music conveyer than u can drag mp4 file in it than it directly transfer it to mar file than it will show automatically in iTunes tones section . try it very wasy

214. Ken August 10, 2014 at 1:19 am #

I just wanted to tell everyone that I finally got it all figured out. Thanks to simonblog for the instructions for creating the ringtones for iPhone and to Johnny for helping get the tones to my iPhone 5s. It all works now an I am a happy camper. Thanks again!!!

215. marc August 12, 2014 at 2:14 pm #

As you can reveal from Finder, the song file is in .m4a extension and we’ll change it to “.m4r”, which is the file extension for tones. so now i’m getting the problem here.i’am win 7 user and 11itunes .now who will change it for me? it’s still on m4a format.

216. Jstar September 4, 2014 at 11:41 am #

The most. amazing walkthrough… EVER.

1. iTunes11 is out! Using it to make ringtones and my thoughts on the new version… « iPad and Technology in Music Education - December 1, 2012

[…] For some reason, as tech oriented as I am, I have never really gotten into creating my “own” ringtones or buying them. But my son’s phone ringing this morning got me to thinking about why I have never done this before. Of course when I went googling around for instructions all of them were outdated because of the new version of iTunes11! I figured it out and then decided I should write a tutorial on how it works, because the process is really easy. Of course then someone beat me to the punch! Simon (I think his name is Simon) has written a tutorial exactly as if I had written it so go check this out…. RingTones on iTunes!! […]

2. iTunes 11 Make Custom Ringtones/Text tones/Alerts on Mac/Windows » TechiSky - December 4, 2012

[…] article is originated here  Posted by admin at 1:47 pm  Tagged with: create iphone ringtones itunes 11, export […]

3. Free Instructions How Make - December 26, 2012

[…] iTunes 11: How To Create Free Ringtone and Text Tone – Simonblog Apple has officially released the iTunes 11. The user interface is completely redesigned that is much simpler and clean. So far I love the upgrade but I'm. […]

4. Cyclone Weather Alert Ringtone. - January 29, 2013

[…] audio on an iPhone… If I remember and/or get ambitious enough, I'll post instructions here… iTunes 11: How To Create Free Ringtone and Text Tone | The iPhone and iPad Blog 2012 Big 12 Elimination Competition Champion "No. Instead, there's a pole. Requires […]

5. Ringtones – Apple ID’s – Back Up – The Links to ALL! « KreWLange Consulting - February 18, 2013

[…] iTunes 11: How To Create Free Ringtone and Text Tone […]

6. Create Custom Ringtones on iTunes 11 | Judgmental Giraffe - August 11, 2013

[…] Create Custom Ringtones on iTunes 11» […]

7. How to create a ringtone or message alert using itunes - Ender - June 14, 2014

[…] then automatically extracts the portion of song you have instructed in the previous step. The new song file is just 40-sec in length. This is the song file you’ll work on from step 6 and […]