This is a big news for iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 users. Earlier, a Chinese iPhone hacker Loktar_Sun has released a solution for unlocking a jailbroken iPhone using Sam Bingner’s SAM (Subscriber Artificial Module) package. This SAM unlock method should work with all baseband versions.
I’m not able to test the method on my iPhone 4S as it’s a factory-unlocked version. However, the method has been verified on U.S. carriers by the iPhone Dev team member musclenerd as well as another iPhone blogger.
What You Need
To unlock your iPhone 4S or 4 using the SAM approach, you need to have:
1. A jailbroken iPhone running on iOS 5.0 (or up) with cydia installed.
2. The latest version of iTunes installed on your computer with Internet connection.
Procedures to Unlock Your iPhone
1. Launch cydia and add the repo (repo.bingner.com) to your Cydia source. Then install SAM and SAMPrefs.
2. After the installation completes, open SAM. Go to Utilities, and tap Deactivate. Your ActivationState under “More Information” should now be “Unactivated”.
3. Go back to the SAM main menu, and tap More Information. Under SIM Details copy your IMSI number.
4. Remove your SIM card and put in the SIM you wish to use (e.g. T-Mobile).
5. With SAM enabled, tap Method, and select By Country and Carrier. Go back a menu, and select the correct country and then the correct carrier for your SIM card.
6. Go back to More Information, and tap Spoof Real SIM to SAM. Under SAM Details, delete the current IMSI number and replace it with the one you copied in step 3.
7. On the SAM main menu go to Utilities, and tap Attempt Activation. Your iPhone should respiring.
8. Open SAM again and disable SAM. Close SAM.
9. Next, launch iTunes and plug in your iPhone to your computer. You should receive a message stating that it failed to activate your device, this is normal, just click ok. Just wait for a moment and you will see the carrier logo for your new SIM.
Be patient. You may have to unplug it and plug it in a few times.
Congratulation! You’ve unlock your iPhone and make it work with your preferred carrier. According to the developer of the hack, Push notifications may stop working after this procedure. However, it can be easily restored with “clear push” utility in SAM followed by connecting to iTunes.
Remember to leave us comment and tell us if the unlock method works for you.
Founder, developer and chief blogger of simonblog.com