News Flash to all AT&T iPhone users! I know you have been waiting for this one. Although most of you would find it difficult to turn down a free unlock ? especially if your carrier is offering it free of charge and voluntarily. However, there?s a catch. You?re going to lose all your apps and jailbreak tweaks if you surrender your device.
AT&T?s unlocking service is now available, and it came into effect earlier this month. The process includes restoring via iTunes ? and it?s a dilemma for you because you could lose out the jailbreak depending on the firmware version.
And to the rescue, thank goodness! With the help of Redsn0w, the most trusted jailbreak software, unlocking your device is possible. What?s more, it will spare all your data and prevent it from losing your untethered jailbreak, especially if you have an iOS 5.0.1.
Without sweat, you can follow these simple steps on how to unlock your AT&T iPhone effectively without losing the jailbreak. However, make sure you have requested your carrier to get your device unlock. You should first meet the requirements for official unlock. You can follow these simple steps here (AT&T iPhone unlock).
2. Launch the application then put your iPhone 4 in DFU mode, connect your device directly with computer using USB cable.
3. Redsn0w automatically recognizes your iPhone 4. Click the ?Jailbreak? option.
4. You?ll see the next screen. Simply de-select ?Install Cydia? and select ?Deactivate? option (image below). In this scenario, choosing the Deactivate will deactivate your device, and it will boot with the Connect to iTunes or welcome screen found on iOS 5 +. This needs activation via the original carrier sim card.
5. Redsn0w will process your device, and it will flash codes on screen. Wait for a few minutes and your iPhone 4 will reboot.
6. Lastly, open iTunes. It will prompt a message: ?Congratulations, your iPhone have been unlock.? This means you have successfully unlocked your device.
If you have questions, simply drop them below.