We posted about SpeakEvents Cydia tweak that reads out SMS, emails and iMessage notifications. This can come in handy when your iDevice is not accessible when you?re driving or are just not in the mood to hold it. Another somewhat similar tweak has been released. Details below!
The new Cydia tweak is known as Aloud. It adds voice to every notification on the iOS device and gives the option to choose from 30 different languages for the alerts. It?s a simple and nice tweak that allows you to choose apps whose notifications you want to be read aloud, adjust the rate of speech and much more. This tweak will work with all the installed apps on the iDevice.
Here’s a complete list of features the tweak offers:
- The tweak speaks over 30 different languages
- The voice can be customized with a custom volume and rate
- Allows the original notification sounds to be suppressed
- Select the apps which you don’t want the tweak to speak for
- Many rules to set so the tweak doesn’t interrupt:
- State of the device (just unlocked or both)
- Disrespect of the mute switch
- Using only the headphones to speak
- While charging only
- Keep quite in ccall
- Keep quite on particular days
- Keep quite on particular hours
- Use Activator actions to listen to this set of rules or vice versa
- Speaking formats (custom):
- Speak the title, message or both
- Dynamic format – Configure automatically for emails, messages and music with MusicBanners!
- The following Activator actions:
- Last notification repeating
- Keeping quite
- State (Wi-fi, battery)
- Time and Date
- You can tell it to “Read” the last notification and it works great with Hands-Free control
The Activator Actions can be setup to repeat the last notification or stop speaking the current one. If you set Activator Action ‘Hold’ for system state, you will get voice notification, as soon as the screen is pressed for few seconds. Information about the Wi-Fi, Battery life etc. will be displayed. If you set Action ‘Swipe Left’ for system state, you’ll be notified with the current date and time as soon as you swipe your iOS device screen from left to right.
The tweak can be configured in such a way that it speaks for certain selected apps or turn-on to make the app speak only for the selected apps. It works with the notifications of incoming messages.
There are endless options to configure. ‘Notification Rules’ can be set when you don’t want the tweak to interrupt you such as in a meeting or while driving. These rules can be applied when the device is in a locked or unlocked state. The voice notifications can be turned off during special occasions or holidays. It also works with MusicBanners and gives you banner notifications of song names, alburm art etc.
By using the activation rules, you can select the Activator actions to be forced to listen to the settings that you set for notifications rules or yo can have any action disabled by the Activator app. However, if the Aloud tweak is used with Activator, it will override the settings set for the notifications rules. In preferences under the custom-formatting section, Aloud allows you to select how the notifications are spoken. ‘Dynamic’ will be enabled by default. It will say (for example) “app: Twitter mentioned by @adiqayum, hey how you doing?” However, you can set it to read only the message, or the title or both.
The features are quite amazing. The tweak is currently available in Cydia for just $0.99 under the Modmyi repo. But that is only a limited offer price. If you wait too long, the price will go up. So if you want a tweak that reads out all the notifications, then this tweak is worth a try. It is compatible with a jailbroken iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch running iOS 5.