Earlier, we’ve put up a guide to walk you through the untether jailbreak process for iPhone. If you’re planning to jailbreak your iPad running on iOS 5.0.1, here is another jailbreak guide for you.
Before proceeding, read the note carefully
Before we step into the jailbreak process, let us highlight several points you need to take note:
- This guide is intended to jailbreaking iPad 1 running iOS 5.0.1. If you’re looking for reference for jailbreaking iPhone, check out our guide here.
- The current version of Redsn0w does not support the jailbreaking on iPad 2 running iOS 5.0.1.
- If you’ve already jailbroken your device with earlier version of redsn0w and want to convert it to untethered jailbreak, this guide also works for you. Alternatively, you can also install “Corona Untether” app available in cydia to do the conversion.
- Please use iTunes 10.5 or up for the jailbreak. If you haven’t upgraded your iTunes, please download the latest version of iTunes from Apple. As usual, backup all your data via iTunes before jailbreaking.
Okay, let’s get started.
Upgrade Your iPad to 5.0.1
First, you’ll need to upgrade your iPad to iOS 5.0.1. Redsn0w won’t do the upgrade for you. You can simply follow the below instructions for the upgrade.
Note: If your iPad is already using iOS 5.0.1, just download the firmware file (i.e. step 1) and skip the rest of this section.
1. Download iOS 5.0.1 firmware for iPad and save it into a folder.
2. Connect your iPad via USB and launch iTunes.
3. Restore your iPad with iOS 5.0.1. For Windows, hold SHIFT key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file (i.e. iPad1,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw) you have just downloaded. For Mac, hold option key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file to restore.
4. iTunes will then upgrade your iPad to iOS 5.0.1. Just wait until the process completes.
Jailbreaking iOS 5.0.1 using Redsn0w
6. Power off your iPad (if you haven’t done so).
7. Launch Redsn0w
8. Click the “Jailbreak” button.
9. Click “Next” button and follow the on-screen instructions to put your iPad into DFU mode.
10. Wait until the process to complete. Select “Install Cydia” and click “Next” to proceed.
Note: For those re-jailbreaking a tethered jailbroken device, please DO NOT select “Install Cydia”.
Once confirmed, redsn0w proceeds to install cydia on your iPad. Just be patient and the whole process takes around 5 minutes to complete.
Your iPad will be rebooted automatically with cydia installed when the whole process completes. Lastly, sync back your backup data with iTunes.
As always, if you have any questions, please leave us comment below.