As you may know, the iPhone Dev team recently released an updated version of Redsn0w to untether jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone and iPad. You may have already downloaded the tool to jailbreak your device. As usual, to support those who are not familiar with jailbreaking, we write up a complete guide to walk you through the jailbreak process.
So here you go!
Before proceeding, read the note carefully
Before we step into the jailbreak process, let us highlight several points you need to take note:
- This guide is intended to jailbreaking iPhone 4 and 3GS running iOS 5.0.1. But it should also work for iPad (1st generation) and iPod touch (3G/4G). Just make sure you download the correct firmware.
- The current version of Redsn0w does not support the jailbreaking on iPhone 4S (and iPad 2) running iOS 5.0.1.
- If you’ve already jailbroken your device with earlier version of redsn0w and want to convert it to untethered jailbreak, this guide also works for you. Alternatively, you can also install “Corona Untether” app available in cydia to do the conversion.
- If you depend on ultrasn0w unlocking, please DO NOT follow this guide. By upgrading to iOS 5.0.1 directly you’ll lose the unlock. If you want to keep the unlock and upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 as well, make sure you create your own custom IPSW.
- Please use iTunes 10.5 or up for the jailbreak. If you haven’t upgraded your iTunes, please download the latest version of iTunes from Apple. As usual, backup all your contacts, sms, photos, etc via iTunes before jailbreaking.
- Disclaimer: Jailbreaking may void your warranty of iPhone. Again, jailbreak it at your own risk. There is no guarantee that this guide works on all iPhone devices.
Okay, let’s get started.
Upgrade Your iPhone to 5.0.1
First, you’ll need to upgrade your iPhone to iOS 5.0.1. Redsn0w won’t do the upgrade for you. You can simply follow the below instructions for the upgrade.
Note: If your iPhone is already using iOS 5.0.1, just download the firmware file (i.e. step 1) and go to step 5 directly.
2. Connect your iPhone via USB and launch iTunes.
3. Restore your iPhone with iOS 5.0.1. For Windows, hold SHIFT key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file (i.e. For 3GS, please select iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw. For iPhone 4 (GSM), please select iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw. For iPhone 4 (CDMA), please select iPhone3,3_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw.) you have just downloaded. For Mac, hold option key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file to restore.
4. iTunes will then upgrade your iPhone to iOS 5.0.1. Just wait until the process completes.
Jailbreaking iOS 5.0.1 using Redsn0w
6. Power off your iPhone (if you haven’t done so).
7. Launch Redsn0w
8. Click the “Jailbreak” button.
9. Click “Next” button and follow the on-screen instructions to put your iPhone into DFU mode.
10. Wait until the process to complete. Select “Install Cydia” and click “Next” to proceed.
Note: For those re-jailbreaking a tethered jailbroken device, please DO NOT select “Install Cydia”.
Once confirmed, redsn0w proceeds to install cydia on your iPhone. Just be patient and wait. The process takes around 5 minutes to complete.
Your iPhone will be rebooted automatically after cydia is installed. Lastly, sync back your backup data with iTunes and restore all your contacts & SMS.
As always, if you have any questions, please leave us comment below.
Founder, developer and chief blogger of simonblog.com