Complete Guide: Untether Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4 and 3GS

iOS 5.0.1 Jailbreak with Redsn0wAs you may know, the iPhone Dev team recently released an updated version of Redsn0w to untether jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone and iPad. You may have already downloaded the tool to jailbreak your device. As usual, to support those who are not familiar with jailbreaking, we write up a complete guide to walk you through the jailbreak process.

So here you go!

Before proceeding, read the note carefully

Before we step into the jailbreak process, let us highlight several points you need to take note:

• This guide is intended to jailbreaking iPhone 4 and 3GS running iOS 5.0.1. But it should also work for iPad (1st generation) and iPod touch (3G/4G). Just make sure you download the correct firmware.
  • The current version of Redsn0w does not support the jailbreaking on iPhone 4S (and iPad 2) running iOS 5.0.1.
  • If you’ve already jailbroken your device with earlier version of redsn0w and want to convert it to untethered jailbreak, this guide also works for you. Alternatively, you can also install “Corona Untether” app available in cydia to do the conversion.
  • If you depend on ultrasn0w unlocking, please DO NOT follow this guide. By upgrading to iOS 5.0.1 directly you’ll lose the unlock. If you want to keep the unlock and upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 as well, make sure you create your own custom IPSW.
  • Please use iTunes 10.5 or up for the jailbreak. If you haven’t upgraded your iTunes, please download the latest version of iTunes from Apple. As usual, backup all your contacts, sms, photos, etc via iTunes before jailbreaking.
  • Disclaimer: Jailbreaking may void your warranty of iPhone. Again, jailbreak it at your own risk. There is no guarantee that this guide works on all iPhone devices.

Okay, let’s get started.

Upgrade Your iPhone to 5.0.1

First, you’ll need to upgrade your iPhone to iOS 5.0.1. Redsn0w won’t do the upgrade for you. You can simply follow the below instructions for the upgrade.

Note: If your iPhone is already using iOS 5.0.1, just download the firmware file (i.e. step 1) and go to step 5 directly.

1. Download iPhone OS 5.0.1 firmware (iPhone 4 [GSM] / iPhone 4 [CDMA] / 3GS) and save it into a folder.

2. Connect your iPhone via USB and launch iTunes.

3. Restore your iPhone with iOS 5.0.1. For Windows, hold SHIFT key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file (i.e. For 3GS, please select iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw. For iPhone 4 (GSM), please select iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw. For iPhone 4 (CDMA), please select iPhone3,3_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw.) you have just downloaded. For Mac, hold option key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file to restore.

4. iTunes will then upgrade your iPhone to iOS 5.0.1. Just wait until the process completes.

Jailbreaking iOS 5.0.1 using Redsn0w

5. Next, download redsn0w 0.9.10b3 from here (Windows / Mac). Extract the zipped file after download.

6. Power off your iPhone (if you haven’t done so).

7. Launch Redsn0w
redsn0w logo

8. Click the “Jailbreak” button.

redsn0w jailbreak

9. Click “Next” button and follow the on-screen instructions to put your iPhone into DFU mode.

Redsn0w - Instructions to Put into DFU Mode

Redsn0w - Putting iPhone into DFU Mode

redsn0w dfu mode detected

10. Wait until the process to complete. Select “Install Cydia” and click “Next” to proceed.

Note: For those re-jailbreaking a tethered jailbroken device, please DO NOT select “Install Cydia”.

redsn0w install cydia

Once confirmed, redsn0w proceeds to install cydia on your iPhone. Just be patient and wait. The process takes around 5 minutes to complete.

redsn0w iOS 5.0.1 Jailbreak Complete

Your iPhone will be rebooted automatically after cydia is installed. Lastly, sync back your backup data with iTunes and restore all your contacts & SMS.

As always, if you have any questions, please leave us comment below.

, ,

46 Responses to Complete Guide: Untether Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4 and 3GS

1. Joe Leonardo January 3, 2012 at 11:44 am #

I currently have an iPhone 3GS which is cydia jailbroken to iOS 4.3,3 (8J2).
    Do I restore this phone first via itunes to 5.01 then use redsnow 0.9.10b3, or do I just begin the upgrade from my current iOS 4.3.3?
    My phone is backed up to iTunes. Will I lose everything I’ve put into this phone no matter how I am to upgrade to Cydia 5.01?
    Thank you for your answer.
    Joe

• JB_completed January 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

JL,

Straightaway update to 5.0.1 using latest iTunes. iTunes will force a backup of your apps and settings before update. And no, you won’t lose everything, only Cydia apps and settings.

Then JB using RedSn0w.

You can backup contacts and photos to iDrive.

• Joe Leonardo January 5, 2012 at 1:11 am #

As a followup question to my original one, after I upgrade, update to iOS 5.1 via iTunes, will my phone then still be unlocked, but not jailbroken? If so, I then would be able to use any GSM network?

2. Richard January 3, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

After following all steps: Restored to 5.0.1, redsnow .9.10b3 run as administrator, and tried about 10 times with variations. Redsnow returns error: “Exploit failed” Pls help

3. chikanoz January 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

is this unlock for all baseband on 3gs or only selected? i am afraid i am not qualify when it comes on the baseband.

4. seewee January 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

after following all the JB step, redsnow prompt me with the “Unexpected Error”. What should i do next?

5. Joe Leonardo January 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

The comments and problems in just a few of the responses make me feel not qualified or ready to make the jump to 5.0.1. One site tells me to upgrade to the iTunes 5.0.1 others say not to. Still others tell me to backup my baseline. I don’t know what they are talking about. Even the one company I contacted said they would walk me through the setup, but would not guarantee it will work. Maybe I’ll just stick with 4.2.2 and next year when the iPhone 5 comes out it’ll have iOS 5 all straighten out.. Or not..maybe ios6 or 7 will be out by then.

6. mayank January 7, 2012 at 11:22 am #

i m using iphone 4 on ver5.0,,is this guide will help me to jail break it easly,after updating to 5.0.1,as it shows to “This guide is intended to jailbreaking iPhone 4 and 3GS running iOS 5.0.1″

7. mayank January 7, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

sorry sir i m running on ver 4.3.3 not on ver 5.0

• Simon Ng January 8, 2012 at 9:51 am #

I assume you’re using a factory-unlocked iPhone 4. So you can just follow this guide to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 and jailbreak it using redsn0w.

8. Deejay January 8, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

Hi! I followed your instructions but my iphone won’t open, it seems like it’s rebooting over and over again but won’t open. Please help me, thanks.

9. T. Derso January 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

Dear Simon,

I have relied on your instruction provided through this channel to upgrade my iPhone 3GS and to jail break and unlock it many time to different firmwares, for which I thank you very much.

My iPhone 3GS is on 4.3.3 now and I would like to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 before Apple brings out 5.1. But, I am not very much clear on all the points that apply this time. You did say :

“If you depend on ultrasn0w unlocking, please DO NOT follow this guide. By upgrading to iOS 5.0.1 directly you’ll lose the unlock. If you want to keep the unlock and upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 as well, make sure you create your own custom IPSW.”

That is one of the most important points for me. Jail breaking alone is not some thing I am interested in. My iPhone has to be able to work with my carrier here.

I have identified that my iPhone 3GS has the old BootRom. I have already created a custom firmware using RedSnow 0.9.10b3. But, I am not so sure if the jailbreak will be tethered or untethered. This uneasiness is caused by what I have read else where. But, may be what I read was written before RedSnow 0.9.10B3 came out.

Could you please clarify on this? I would like to be sure before I proceed.

Thank you.

• Simon Ng January 14, 2012 at 10:35 am #

The jailbreak is untethered. If you depend on ultrasn0w, you have to use redsn0w to create a custom IPSW file (which preserves your current baseband for later unlocking). That’s what you have done. Then you can restore your iPhone with the custom IPSW.

10. amar January 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

hi sir,
    i didnt took the backup before jailbreak.. can i restore from anywhere?

11. Tivere David January 28, 2012 at 4:00 am #

Hi my iphone 3Gs is having a problem with d backlight. The light nevers dim or off it remains on till my battery went out..can jailbreaking the phone fix this problem?….plz reply me quickly is urgent thanks

• Avi January 28, 2012 at 8:22 am #

about the dimming backlight, on my jailbroken 4.3.3 iphone 3gs i installed an application from cydia (the jailbreak app store) called sleep depriver, it basically sets the phone to stop locking and only dim the backlight.

i haven’t upgraded to 5.0.1 yet (hoping this guide is good, gonna try now) :-)

12. al January 29, 2012 at 4:04 am #

My Iphone 4 CDMA is at 5.0.1 and I tried to use RedSnow 0.9.10b3 to Jailbreak. The process works fine in the beginning until it says “Waiting for reboot. I see my Iphone reboots and nothing happens. I let it wait for 15 mins just in case but still RedSnow is at the same stage. Any ideas?

13. zeekotaqaz January 29, 2012 at 6:59 am #

My Iphone 4 CDMA is at 5.0.1 and I tried to use RedSnow 0.9.10b3 to Jailbreak. The process works fine in the beginning until it says “Waiting for reboot. I see my Iphone reboots and nothing happens. I let it wait for 15 mins just in case but still RedSnow is at the same stage. Any ideas!!??
    exactly same here

14. Sanford Barnett February 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Fantastic, beneficial information. My new iphone4 is now perfectly jailbroken and i have a performing Cydia symbol on the home screen. Maintain up the good work!

15. Asif February 7, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Does it also unlock iphone 4 on iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 ?
    Any other options available to unlock?

Please guide how to unlock iphone 4 on iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 ?

16. markuz1411 February 23, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

can i jailbreak open line my iphone 4 with a modem firmware of 04.10.01 and version of 4.3.5 (8L1) ? anyone?

17. Jenish April 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

I having iPhone 3gs .My iOS is 4.1(8B117) and firmware is 06.15.00.
    My phone is jail broken.
    I wanted to upgrade my iOS so please help me how can I upgrade my OS.

It will be really helpful to me.

Regards,
    Jenish

18. Saba April 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Thanks a million! … It was so easy unlocking iPhone 4 with your blog :)

19. Syed April 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

I jailbroke my iphone 4 but cant acces camera ,the icon is missing

20. Syed April 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

I jailbroke my iphone 4 ios ver 5but cant acces camera ,the icon is missing

21. Syed April 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

I jailbroke my iphone 4 ios ver 5 but cant acces camera ,the icon is missing

22. Syed April 13, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Nd neither apple store

23. Joe April 13, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

Last night I received 6 emails regarding this upgrade to 5.0.1. Each one stated the iPhone model that could be jailbroken, but none for the 3GS GSM phone. The CDMA was listed for the 3GS.
    My question is was this an error, or are we out of the loop.
    My 3GS GSM. Running iOS 4.3.3 (8J2), ser. Numbers 3,4,&5 are 9,3,0. And my firmware is 06.15.00..
    I get different upgrade suggests from other blogs and upgrade sites. Most say I’ll have a problem with the GPS if I upgrade because of the firmware I have, 06.15,00. Others say its not a problem. Who can we trust? If my phone seizes and becomes a brink, who do I go to?

24. gaurav April 14, 2012 at 2:17 am #

i m usung iphone 3gs jail break through cydia,my current version is 4.2.1(8c148a),now i want to upgrade it to new update,so can i update it.
    waiting for your reply

25. dhiraaj April 30, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

i dont have backup and my iPhone updated to iOS 4.1 to 5.1 can i get all the contacts?

26. alan f May 1, 2012 at 7:57 am #

http://allmobileunlocks.weebly.com my site has software for sale to unlock all iphones includin 4s in minutes, all networks all newest firmwares :)
    your welcome

27. Jemi May 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

I already jaibreaking my iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1, but everytime i lock the phone, it went to DFU mode. Any suggestions about that???

28. Saahil May 2, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

Hi, I am using ios 5.1 on Iphone 3gs, can I also follow the steps on this guide and do the jailbreak? Doing it for the first time ….

29. Joe May 4, 2012 at 11:21 am #

I attempted to run redsnow and the run the IPSW segment. It started but after about 20 seconds I get a message, “memory exhausted” and the software stops running and states “failed to complete segment”
    My question has anyone received this message? Were you able to correct it? If yes, how?
    I ran redsnow several times and get the same message. I also ran it in a modified safe mode thinking programs running in the background were causing the problem. The same thing happened with the same messages.

30. san May 16, 2012 at 6:48 am #

i followed all the steps that u mentioned and i was able to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS and install cydia. But i am stuck with one problem. my phone keeps saying no service or no sim card though the sim card is inserted.
    what could be the possible problem?

31. RedBoneKilla May 21, 2012 at 4:14 am #

Is this possible without a sim card .? I jailbroke my Iphone 4 but its from sprint . Is there a guide for unlocking it so that i can change the carrier.? Do i need a sim card.?

32. Adriana May 23, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Hi i have an iphone 4. The setting tab is offering me an upgarde to ios 5.1.1 i have the 5.0 installed. What happens if i upgrade from my phone? My current firmware is 4.10.01 will i be able to turn my phone back on or will i have to rboot it with the computer? I know i will lopse jailbreak but will the phone e able to turn back ok ?? Thanks soo much for your help!!
    Also is there a new jailbreak version for this new software? How can i install it? Thanks!!:)

33. tom c June 11, 2012 at 10:49 pm #

Hi Simon, thank you for your very informative blog. I successfully jailbroke my 3GS (sn:881011…) on ios verson 4.x and use it for a while with no problem. But I updated it to 5.1.1 9B206 recently and I could not jailbreak it using the latest redsn0w_mac_0.9.12b2. So I downgrade it to 5.0.1 9A405 by creating a an ipsw file and ran redsn0w again but it still would not work. I guess I just don’t know what I was doing. Please help. Thanks

34. Upeen July 24, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Hi

35. Upeen July 24, 2012 at 11:31 am #

I have i phone 4 n its already jail broken(unthreated)5.0.1 but while deleting some files in ifile i deleted some files of cidya and after that my phone is in activation mood which doesnt activate…… I can still use my phone by double taping home botton but it reboots every some time…. Can some body please help me what should i do ????

36. Amit Malik August 8, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

i jailbreak my iphone 3gs and still shows NO SIM. while i try to connect to cydia ipharelhos.com, it displays error as request time out after VERIFICATION URL..
    also, i select the iphone back option after jailbreak. can i go for another jailbreak.
    kindly help.

• Joe August 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Amit. I had the same problem. I downloaded SnowBreeze to jailbreak my 3GS
      Remove the sim card.
      Jailbreak with SnowBreeze, latest version
      Run SnowBreeze.
      Change the baseband to 06.15.00
      After your phone jailbreaks, go to Cydia and search for UltraSnow.
      Run it, then insert the sim card.
      It should work. That’s how I got my iPhone 3GS to both jailbreak and unlock.
      Good luck.
      Joe L

37. Lelanii September 6, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

I have an iphone that was already unlocked/jailbroken to accept any sim. I made the foolish mistake of trying to update it after buying the phone off a friend. The restore process of ios 5 will not complete,due to network problems/technical issues and Itunes doesnt recognize that my phone has a sim in it since trying to restore. Is there any way i can fix this, since i have read that its impossible to downgrade since apple doesnt allow it. The phone was originally locked to the same provider as my sim is anyway, so i dont understand why it should be an issue after restore. I dont think i can ‘re-jailbreak’ the phone while its in its current state of not completing the restore,any advice?

38. yash agarwal October 28, 2012 at 1:00 am #

dude its an utmost outstanding way to just jailbreak your iphone with utter ease
    thanks to the simon blog
    ull just rock guys keep it up

39. Ananda Akachuku March 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

after i enter the DFU mode Redsnow shows missing keys.plist data for this build: Please what should I do next. Really urgent