iPhone Home Button Not Working? Assistive Touch can be the Workaround

iPhone Home ButtonObviously, the Home button is the most-frequently-used button on iPhone. It’s not uncommon the home button becomes less sensitive after extensive use. In worst case, the home button is completely not working. The best way to fix the issue, if your iPhone is still under warranty, is to bring the device back to Apple Store and repair it.

However, it takes time to repair your phone. What if you need to use your iPhone to handle some urgent issues? Here we would like to show you a way to workaround the home button issue.

In any case your home button becomes less sensitive or is even broken, the Assistive Touch feature in iOS 5 may work as an interim solution. The Assistive Touch is one of the accessibility features that helps people with disabilities experience using the iPhone. That said, the feature can serve as a workaround when your home button is broken.

How To Enable Assistive Touch to Access Home Button from Screen

First, go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility. Scroll down to find the “AssistiveTouch” option. Tap on it and set the “AssistiveTouch” option to ON.

iOS 5 AssistiveTouch Option

Once you activate the option, you’ll find a transparent button at the lower-right corner of the screen. Tap on it to bring the touch menu.

iOS 5 AssistiveTouch Touch Button

You’ll see the “Home” button option that provides the same function as the physical home button.

iOS 5 AssistiveTouch Home Button

Does this tip help? Leave us comment and let us know your thought.

If you find this tip useful, you may want to check out our iPhone Handbook app that covers more iOS 5 tips.

, ,

53 Responses to iPhone Home Button Not Working? Assistive Touch can be the Workaround

1. Ken November 6, 2011 at 12:30 am #

this is why I subscribe to your newsletter, Simon! Keep them coming! very useful feature for me even though my Home button is working fine.

2. Claire November 15, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

Brilliant!

3. dichoz November 19, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

good feature..

4. Britt November 22, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

Thank you so much!!! My phone has been muted for weeks! This got it off!!!

5. Willy December 1, 2011 at 12:35 am #

Thank you. It solved my problem.

6. David December 20, 2011 at 3:36 am #

EXCELLENT !! I have been searching for an alternative way to access the home screen since the home button doesn’t work. Thank you !!

7. Lars December 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

Genius!!

8. Philip January 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

wwooooooo… my grilfriend just get smile after fixed!
    by Philip :D

9. toniann February 10, 2012 at 1:33 am #

thank you so much I have finally found a solution that works :D

10. popcorn February 23, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Hi, any idea how to restart an iphone if the power button is not working? Do I have to let the battery get to 0% then charge the phone? Does it work this way?

• iphoneuser March 2, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

You use the lock screen option on the assistive touch and hold it until asks you to slide to switch phone off.

• Debbie June 19, 2012 at 3:35 am #

Hi
        Once u have turned it off by holding down the lock screen icon how are u able to turn it back on?
        Don’t want to go ahead and slide and switch off if I cant get it back on.

• Zach June 25, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Just plug it into any power source and it’ll turn on

11. Monica March 23, 2012 at 8:55 am #

THANK YOU!!! This really helped me.

I also found that if the little Assistive button is in the way, you can drag it to another spot on your screen.

12. jez March 25, 2012 at 6:45 am #

brilliant! great fix thank you!

13. Terra March 27, 2012 at 5:29 am #

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

14. Tina March 27, 2012 at 10:16 am #

:) Thank U !!

15. catrina April 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

does it work with iphone 3g also?

16. Ea May 23, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

Is the an assistive touch for ios 5.0.1?

17. gilatpr May 24, 2012 at 1:28 am #

I had the same issue but instead of doing what you said I used a dab of DeOxit onthe home button, I then pressed the button many times and after a couple of minutes the product found its way in and viola it’s fixed! Cleaned up the mess with a napkin. This worked for me but maybe not for you, who knows. just my 2 cents.

18. Vanessa May 29, 2012 at 2:36 am #

I can’t find this setting on my phone what sobi do?

19. Naresh June 14, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Hi i’m using Iphone 3GS with IOS 4.3.2, do i need to upgrade the IOS to get this feature.

20. Sonia June 19, 2012 at 3:41 am #

AMAZING, solved my problem! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

21. Prasad June 29, 2012 at 12:11 am #

Many thousands of thanks to you. You really saved my phone.

22. manish July 4, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

i m using iphone 3g and there is no option of Accessibility
    pls help me out of it

23. Nico July 8, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

very helpful .. thank you :)

24. Wendy July 20, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Absolute genious!!

25. Susan July 23, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

Only thing that worked!! Thx so much.

26. Mary Dixon August 10, 2012 at 2:05 am #

this is just what I needed. I need more great tips and will be looking at your site very often. this tip saved me a trip to the Apple store and all that madness.

• Jenny August 13, 2012 at 5:16 am #

Thank you! I’ve been browsing around looking for a solution. This actually worked as a great alternative fix to replacing the home button completely. THANKS!

27. Jenny Block August 23, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Help! How do I get to settings when I can’t use the home button? Thanks!

28. Jenny Block August 23, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Sorry. Never mind. I just turned the phone off. Sigh. All set! Thank you SO much!!

29. Haris August 24, 2012 at 1:21 am #

Assistive Touch feature should also be provided for the iphone 3g. is there any way i can have this feature in my iphone 3g ios 4.1????

30. Mildred Po September 6, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

Please help me to have assistive touch im using iphone 3gs.. If i ugrade it to Ios 5.1 will i have it?.

31. Hannah October 2, 2012 at 4:05 am #

Thank you SO. MUCH. My home button is a lot less sensitive lately so I’ve been mashing on it harder to get it to register (which is probably just exacerbating the issue) and I’ve been terrified that it’ll stop working and I’ll be stuck. I had no idea this feature existed and am thrilled that there’s such a simple solution. Thank you, thank you!

32. Oswald October 12, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

Tried a number of things, including this suggestion. It worked intermittently, so I reverted. However finally I tried Windex, and that seems to be holding. Will keep monitoring.

33. M October 21, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

<33333

34. Ng Yan Ting November 4, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

I’m using Iphone 3g … any suggestion other den goin to fix the home button?

35. Caity November 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

36. Darren December 17, 2012 at 5:16 am #

That is the best answer on the net to a non working home button. Free and will see me through to upgrade. Thanks.

37. tommy February 25, 2013 at 3:36 am #

thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!! best tip on the whole damn internet!

38. Silversurfer March 28, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

Mostly the reason for a non working home button is dirt
    disturbing the contacts…

you can find a lot of crazy solutions in the web – a view
    months ago i found http://ifixthebutton.com

it really helped me…my HB is working now for months

Without sending my phone in or open it

39. skandoqueen April 18, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Thank you, my 22 month old got hold of my phone and turned off the assistive touch. A helpful guy in the Storm centre in Exeter put it on there for me, so when my daughter turned it off I found your page which easily helped me to return it. Im not good with techy things so your guide was fab, thank u.

40. Louis245 August 13, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Usually, people discard their iPhones and settle for their old phones. They wait for the next generation of the iPhone to come out instead of buying a new one because it is a hefty investment for a gadget. Another option is to repair it themselves. The last option is to take it to a repair shop. There are many DIY kits that allow you to replace your cracked iPhone screen. Before you make a purchase, make sure that you know the right part to buy. These repair kits are usually non-refundable and cannot be swapped.

41. Gideon January 27, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

Simon,
    Thank you very much. My home button is not working. But your post helped me :-)

42. Keala August 13, 2014 at 5:49 am #

Hello ,
    My home button won’t work and I went to turn assist ice touch on but it won’t let me at all , help?

1. iPhone Home Button Not Working? Assistive Touch can be the Workaround | iphone 4 repair - November 6, 2011

[...] The strange post was published on Simon Blog.  [...]

2. How to Fix iPhone’s Unresponsive Home Button after Extensive Use - November 18, 2011

[...] the impatient user facing this problem, SimonBlog has an easy solution. In just three steps, the Assistive Touch feature available with iOS 5 will help with a broken home [...]

3. How to Fix iPhone’s Unresponsive Home Button after Extensive Use | newiphonefeatures.com - November 24, 2011

4. iPhone Home Button Not Working? Try This Fix (requires Jailbreak and Activator app) | Mitch Fournier - June 12, 2012

[...] showed me the built-in iOS acceptability option which places a software home button on the screen, but it always seemed to be in the way and I [...]

5. Ipod Touch Gen 4 Accessories - June 26, 2012

[...] Touch Gen 4 AccessoriesiPhone Home Button Not WorkingiPhone Home Button Not Workingvar base_url_sociable = [...]

6. Official Cell Phone/Plan Thread - Page 618 - September 6, 2012

[...] your home button is on the screen, so you don't have to use the button. I know a few who use this. http://www.simonblog.com/2011/11/06/…he-workaround/ Reply With [...]

7. How to Troubleshoot Around a Stuck iPhone Home Button | GalaPrice - November 17, 2012

[...] http://www.simonblog.com/2011/11/06/iphone-home-button-not-working-assistive-touch-can-be-the-workar… – research source [...]