I have heard of this before, but never experienced it firsthand. Holding my dead, wet and lifeless iPhone in my hand. This was the result of a moment of carelessness as I went into the pool with the iPhone in my Billabong pant pocket. I must admit that it ruined my day but then life goes on.
I am planning to buy my replacement phone and, it doesn?t help that the next iPhone (iPhone 4S or iPhone 5) is scheduled to be out in a few months time. Meanwhile, I am using an old Nokia E71, which I have kept as a spare over the years ? the only good thing about that is that I don?t need to charge it daily.
The whole experience has gotten me thinking of ways to waterproof my (new) iPhone so that this never happens again. My iphones have survived numerous Thai Sonkran (Water) Festivals (April 13-15) using an airtight ziplocked plastic case. However, I set off on looking for a sleeker and more permanent solution to a waterproofing my iphone. Here are some of the choices I am pondering with.
Lifeproof?s website advertises the fact that this case will allow you to ?surf, sing in the shower, ski, snowboard, work on construction sites? with your mobile phone. While I have no intention of using my iPhone in the shower ? because I think there is absolutely no reason to talk in the bathroom unless its an emergency ? the thought of having this protection appeals to me.
Here are some details of the Lifeproof case:
- Ultra-slim and adds only 1/16? (1.5mm) to the depth of your iPhone and weighs less than an ounce (28g).
- Unique combination of materials that will not stick to your pocket
- Protects against every-day hazards?full IP-68 rating against water and dust, and designed to Military Specifications
- Ability to swim and take underwater (2 meters/6.6ft depth). Optional adapter allows use of waterproof headphones underwater
- Double AR-coated optical glass lenses provide unprecedented crystal-clear photo and video quality
- High degree of shock and impact protection?tested to Military Specifications MIL-STD-810F-516.5 (2 meters/6.6ft drop on all surfaces and edges. 26 tests)
- Fully sealed protection against minute dust particles
- All phone features are operational while maintaining a high level of protection
- Compatible with all iPhone 4′s (International, AT&T and Verizon).
I like the fact that does not add too much onto the iphone (1.5mm depth and 28g and not stick to your pocket like most rubber cases do. So this is definitely a candidate case for me.
Apparently, there is no ex-stock now so you can pre-order it for $69.95 at their site. I will be also looking at reviews before I go for this option.
Amphibian Waterproof iPhone 4 Case
This waterproof case has the much touted IP68 Rating. This is apparently the highest rating for water protection. I?ll take their word for it as I am unsure who issues these ratings.
This Amphibian Waterproof 4 Case boasts of the following features on their site:
- Patented waterproof, protective and slim form fitting design
- Polycarbonate inner See-Through shell for everyday use
- Silicon jacket for added drop protection
- Make and receive calls like normal phone
- Touch screen works though waterproof case
- Allows for underwater pictures and video
- Attachment points for a lanyard
This seems like the mother of all waterproofing protection for an iPhone. Waterproof up to 1 meter, it also includes an additional 1840 mAh battery to double your iPhone?s uptime and a chipset to enhance the GPS reception. You can use the iPhone’s touchscreen through the case. This may be a bit of overkill as I would actually like to fit my phone into my pocket.
I am probably going to go for the LifeProof Case as it seems to be the perfect balance of form and function. However, it is not on the market yet and I don?t want to be the first to volunteer my $70 (excluding shipping) without any proof of life (pardon the pun).
You can expect a waterproof case review once I have bought it. Also, if you have any tested suggestions, I would love to hear them.