How to Transfer Photos from Camera or SD Card to iPad Directly

Transfer Photos with iPad camera connection kitSo you’ve always wondered there should be something that can make the photo transfer from your camera to the iPad a bit faster than what it takes to do it through iTunes. No worries, there’s this Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit to make your life easier! This is actually a hardware accessory that lets you connect a SD card into your iPad or let’s you plug your camera in to your iPad straight, using a USB. No computer in between the transfer is required. It’s between your camera and iPad now. Sense the ease?

Here’s the how-to guide for you:

Step 1

Get the Camera Connection Kit at Amazon.com or Apple Store

Step 2

Opt for the suitable connector. The kit includes two connectors with different interfaces. You can connect to your camera directly via the USB interface. Or simply insert the SD card into the connector with SD card reader.

Step 3

Connect Camera Connection Kit to your iPad.

iPad Camera Connector

Step 4

The Photos app on your iPad device will start up and fetch the pictures from your SD card / camera automatically.

iPad Photos Camera

Step 5

You’ll see the “Import All” button. Tap it to import all photos from the SD card. Else you do have the option to choose which images you wish to transfer, on an individual basis and then, go for the “Import Selected” option.

iPad - Import Photos from Camera

Step 6

Once you’re done with the importing of photos, you are prompted with a choice whether to keep or delete the imported photos on your camera/ SD card as backup.

iPad - Import Photo Complete

Step 7

Now disconnect the Camera Connection Kit.

That’s it! You have them transferred and you can find the imported photos in the “Last Import” album.

iPad - Photos Last Import Album

About Farrukh Zafar

Farrukh Zafar is the inside-out gadget guy at Simonblog. You can always reach him at Twitter.com/fariZafar

, ,

16 Responses to How to Transfer Photos from Camera or SD Card to iPad Directly

1. Robert September 8, 2011 at 6:29 am #

Very cool. It’s nice to know that a $900 iPad can transfer files the same way as a 15 year old windows 95 pc. As long as you buy a few attachments and add some software.
    It still amazes me that people buy this device. How does a company stay in business that can’t perform simple file transfers. The idea that you cant’ just drag and drop files from your iphone to the desktop and then onto a new iphone is beyond comprehension.
    It is a beautiful device and it sure looks pretty. However it is about as useful as a Viewmaster when you consider its capabilities.
    I really wanted to like Apple, used to praise them, and OMG after buying one it was like I got hit with a stupid stick. Uhhh a couple times.

2. Write the Name =digital photography September 16, 2011 at 12:47 am #

You’ve got great insights about digital photography, keep up the good work!

3. cavalars February 28, 2012 at 5:45 am #

does it work as the same on iphone 4?

4. Carolyn April 17, 2012 at 4:11 am #

Even though I choose to import pix individually, it imports all every time. I would like to know how to delete the duplicates without deleting it from everywhere. Is this possible?

5. Mike June 17, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

It works.. Somewhat..
    If you take the card directly from the camera,
    It works like a snap.
    If you have other photos on your computer (jpg) and transfer it to the card the connect it to the iPad it may or may not work. I got some to transfer but then there are others that the iPad refuses to see. I played around with renaming some photos. Lsome of those got transferred but others cannot. I have yet to figure out what the heck the IOA is looking for to recognize the photos..

6. Tf June 26, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

I keep getting an error when using the camera connection kit plugged into my camera and I pad. The error says the accessory uses to much power. Any ideas what to do????

7. Lo-Yi Chan June 28, 2012 at 12:21 am #

Once transferred to the iPad2, how do I transfer the images to a desktop computer for post processing?

8. Helen Dunbar September 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

I downloaded photos to my iPad from a SD card but did not erase them from the card. After taking more photos with the card, I inserte d the SD card into the iPad. A dialog box appeared stating that some photos were duplicates. I responded not to load duplicates. But they were downloaded again. Any way to avoid this from happening?

9. Kim October 5, 2012 at 11:47 pm #

Unable to download as stated from Kodak Easyshare Z990. No issues with my Canon, but Kodak is a different animal. Ipad doesn’t recognize it unless you attach and do everything EXACTLY right. I have to “guess” every time and hope I get it right. I have tried every order, and still haven’t found the right one. Have done it before, but again, it won’t.

At present trying to download and NOTHING is working. Ipad doesn’t recognize camera. And nothing is being downloaded. If I could, I would trash this camera, but my husband bought it, and I have to “deal with it”!

10. Dave West May 13, 2014 at 5:05 pm #

Does anyone know how to transfer photos to iPad without iTunes?

11. http://tinyurl.com/kcfc4bx August 29, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

If you would like to increase your exxperience simply keep visiting
    his web site and be updated with the latest information posted here.

1. iPhone5&ipad2 » How to Transfer Photos from Camera or SD Card to iPad Directly - June 14, 2011

[...] article, How to Transfer Photos from Camera or SD Card to iPad Directly, was originally published at [...]

2. How to Transfer Photos to iPad Without iTunes | Photo Bucket - January 10, 2012

[...] to an Apple iPad | Video …How to Transfer Songs from iPod To Computer FREE w/ iTunes …How To Transfer Photos from Camera or SD Card to iPad DirectlyiPad to iTunes Transfer – iPad to iTunes Transfer Review No related posts. /* [...]

3. Ipad Camera Connection | computer laptop reviews, desktop computers, notebook reviews - July 21, 2012

[...] Auto Charger $24.99 many more accessories to choose from Colorado Springs, CO … Fetch Here IPhone And iPad Remote Monitoring Q-See’s QS Series Of DVRsIPhone and iPad Remote Monitoring …%;" alt="Ipad Camera Connection Images" title="Ipad Camera Connection Images" [...]

4. Import Photos To Ipad From Sd Card | Get Your iPad Now - October 8, 2014

[…] How To Transfer Photos from Camera or SD Card to iPad … – Jun 12, 2011 · So you’ve always wondered there should be something that can make the photo transfer from your camera to the iPad a bit faster than what it takes to do …… […]