Tutorial: How To Jailbreak iOS 4.3.3 for iPhone Using Redsn0w

A few hours ago, the iPhone Dev team released an update for redsn0w. You can now jailbreak iOS 4.3.3 for most iOS devices including iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Most importantly, it supports untethered jailbreak.

As usual, we’ll walk you through the whole jailbreak process with this tutorial post. But before we begin, let us highlight several points:

• This guide is intended to jailbreaking iPhone 4 and 3GS running iOS 4.3.3. But it should also work for iPad (1st generation) and iPod touch (3G/4G). Just make sure you download the correct firmware.
  • If you depend on ultrasn0w unlocking, please stay away from jailbreaking with redsn0w. You should use PwnageTool instead that lets you create a custom IPSW while preserving the baseband version. If you don’t know what we’re talking about, just stay with your current iOS version. Don’t upgrade to 4.3.3, otherwise, you’ll lose the unlock.
  • Make sure you use iTunes 10.2 or up for the jailbreak. As usual, backup all your contacts, sms, photos, etc via iTunes before jailbreaking.
  • Disclaimer: Jailbreaking may void your warranty of iPhone. Again, jailbreak it at your own risk. There is no guarantee that this guide works on all iPhone devices.

Okay, let’s get started.

Upgrade Your iPhone to 4.3.3

To jailbreak iOS 4.3.3 with redsn0w, your iPhone should be upgraded to 4.3.3 via iTunes. Connect your iPhone to computer and upgrade it to the latest version of iOS. Or you can follow these instructions to upgrade it.

Note: If your iPhone is already using iOS 4.3.3, just download the firmware file (i.e. step 1) and skip the rest of the section.

1. Download iPhone OS 4.3.3 firmware (iPhone 4 [GSM] / 3GS) and save it into a folder.

2. Connect your iPhone via USB and launch iTunes.

3. Restore your iPhone with iPhone OS 4.3.3. For Windows, hold SHIFT key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file (i.e. For 3GS, please select iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw. For iPhone 4, please select iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw) you have just downloaded. For Mac, hold option key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file to restore.

4. iTunes will then upgrade your iPhone to iOS 4.3.3. Just wait until the process completes.

Jailbreaking iOS 4.3.3 using Redsn0w

5. Next, download redsn0w 0.9.6rc15 from here (Windows / Mac). Extract the zipped file after download.

6. Launch Redsn0w

7. Click “browse” and select the iPhone 4.3.3 firmware file. For iPhone 4, please select iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw. For iPhone 3GS, please select iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw. Redsn0w then verifies your firmware file.

redsn0w jailbreak 4.3.3 step 1

8. RedSn0w will now try to identify and process the firmware file. Once the firmware file has been identified click Next to continue.

9. Redsn0w then starts preparing jailbreak data based on the IPSW file. Just wait till you see the below screen. Select “Install Cydia” and click “Next” to proceed.

redsn0w jailbreak 4.3.3 step 2

10. Just follow the on-screen instruction. Make sure your iPhone is turned OFF and connected with your computer via USB cable. If you haven’t done so, simply connect it with USB and then power it off before you click the “Next” button.

redsn0w jailbreak 4.3.3 step 3

11. Once you click “Next”, follow the procedures to put your iPhone into DFU mode. If you fail to do so, don’t worry. It won’t brick your iPhone. Just restart your device and go through the procedures again.

12. If you have successfully put your iPhone into DFU mode, redsn0w will do the rest. Just sit back and relax.

While jailbreaking, your iPhone will show downloading jailbreak data, etc. Just don’t touch your iPhone and keep waiting. Once completed, redsn0w will let you know the jailbreak process is successful.

After reboot, your iPhone should be jailbroken with cydia installed. Lastly, sync back your backup data with iTunes and restore all your contacts & SMS.

, , ,

18 Responses to Tutorial: How To Jailbreak iOS 4.3.3 for iPhone Using Redsn0w

1. moe May 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

great job guys it worked fast and easy with me :)

2. titus May 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm #

All work perfectly fine.. except I cannot locate the ipsw file. Btw I am using Win 7. Hence all you need to do is to run a search and copy the ipsw file to the jailbreak folder. And after that you should be running with it. Good luck and enjoy.

3. Oliver May 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm #

hi,
    i just jailbreak my iphone 4 on 4.3.3 using redsnow 09.6.6.RC16. I noticed that my battery drains fast after jailbreaking, i was thinking maybe because of the redsnow jailbreakin,is that possible? i turned off everything on my iphone.
    any reply would be appreciated.thanks

• sue June 1, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

hi, just to check wth u, is it reli after jailbreak can download all games even those that previously need money also can

4. Aipena June 5, 2011 at 11:06 am #

Hello Simon,
    I’ve tried to JB my iPhone 4 using redsnow 0.9.6rc16 but failed.I’m using windows 7 ultimate.Here are the step i did.

1.Download the latest 1.2.2 itunes.
    2.Upgrade my iphone 4 firmware to 4.3.3 from itunes.
    3.Download 4.3.3 ipsw file,unzip and place it to desktop
    4.Download redsnow 0.9.6rc16,unzip and place it to desktop too.
    5.Launch 0.9.6rc16, browse but it cannot identified/find the ipsw.

That is the problem.It cannot find/point to iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.

Can you help me?is there any step i missing?
    This is my first time JB using redsnow.Before this i’m using greenpoison.

• Simon Ng June 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

Seems like the firmware (.ipsw) file you have downloaded is incorrect. The file name should be iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw for iPhone 4.

• Titus June 6, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

Hi aipena, if you are using the correct version and the software and still can’t locate the ipsw. file, please refer to the post. Hope you will be fine.

5. Srini June 9, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

I have one question, I have a locked AT& T Iphone 4. Can I follow the above steps and jailbreak it?? Please reply before I proceed with the above steps.

Thanks,
    Srini

• Simon Ng June 9, 2011 at 11:56 pm #

So, are you going to use AT&T after jailbreak? If yes, that should be fine.

6. Giza June 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

Hi! I jailbroke my iphone4 from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3 but I havent updated it yet with the latest version of redsnow. According to some, rejailbreaking with the latest version of redsnow u’ll have a better battery life which I desperately need it but will this remove my current jailbreak?

Thank you !

7. Venkat July 8, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Firstly Thanks for the wonderful updates in the site. I am having a iphone 3GS locked to telstra. Is there any unteathered unlock solution for 4.3.3 version OS. Thanks in advance for the updates.

8. Singh August 10, 2011 at 1:59 am #

Im always getting error 3914 (unknown error) when trying to restore. Have tried changing the host file with below entries one by one and restarting itunes and restore in DFU mode but still same error

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

doing google shows i may need to save SHSH so tried autoshsh but can’t find on the internet. some fourm say’s it’s no more available.
    Tried TinyUmbrella and tried to save SHSH, the log shows following errors:

CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone3GS 5.0b1 (9A5220p) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE. The same line is repeated in log with various versions of iPhone 3GS

What on the earth am I missing ?

• toroloco October 19, 2011 at 9:45 am #

hay Singh i got the same damn probleme and i fond no way out :s
      but tiny umbrella is not working with i phone 4 4.3.3. or up :s

9. Arlyne Sanchez October 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

I have to say that Redsnow is GREAT. I’ve just jailbroken my iphone in only 3 minutes and with just a few clicks. Thanks for the great tutorial!

10. Cassandra Orozco October 20, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

Great guide. I have to admit that redsnow is the most suitable jailbreak tool, much betterthan snow breeze or greenpoison. I’ve hardly ever experienced any glitches while jailbreaking with redsnow.

11. HAROON October 30, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

Hi Simon!, I have Iphone 3gs, it was a version 4.3.3 earlier, by mistake it updated to iOS 5, after updated and jailbreak it was given no service, then i downgrade to 4.3.5, but problem remain same baseband 06.15, lastly I downgrade 4.3.3 with sn0wbreeze 2.7.3, now every thing is ok except “No Service”, how can i unlock carrier? I tried also ultrasn0w from cydia but no result. please help!!!!

• Naresh December 21, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

Hey Haroon….is u r problem resolved buddy….is there any unlock solution for 4.3.3 version. Do let me know the details buddy….Thanks

1. iPhone Tip: How To Move Multiple Icons All At Once (Jailbreak Required) - May 9, 2011

[…] MultiIconMover is available on cydia for free download. However, as usual, you need a jailbroken iPhone (or iPad) to enjoy the hack. If you’d like to jailbreak your device, you can check out our tutorial on jailbreaking. […]