Earlier, the iPhone Dev team has released the untethered jailbreak tool to jailbreak iOS 4.3.2. It’s a little bit late for us to put up the guide. Anyway, here we are. We’ll walk you through the whole jailbreak process with the complete guide to jailbreak iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS using Redsn0w.
Before we begin, please read through the note carefully:
- This guide is intended to jailbreaking iPhone 4 and 3GS running iOS 4.3.2. But it should also work for iPad (1st generation) and iPod touch (3G/4G).
- If you depend on ultrasn0w unlocking, please stay away from jailbreaking with redsn0w. You should create a custom IPSW using PwnageTool that allows you to preserve the baseband version. If you don’t know what we’re talking about, just stay with your current iOS version. Don’t upgrade to 4.3.2, otherwise, you’ll lose the unlock.
- Make sure you use iTunes 10.0 or up for the jailbreak. If you are using older version of iTunes, please upgrade it first. You can download the latest version of iTunes from Apple.
- As usual, before jailbreaking, make sure you have backup all your contacts, sms, photos, etc via iTunes. Simply sync your iPhone and backup the iPhone data.
- Disclaimer: Jailbreaking may void your warranty of iPhone. Again, jailbreak it at your own risk. There is no guarantee that this guide works on all iPhone devices.
Upgrading to iOS 4.3.2
2. Connect your iPhone via USB and launch iTunes.
3. Restore your iPhone with iPhone OS 4.3.2 For Windows, hold SHIFT key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file (i.e. For 3GS, please select iPhone2,1_4.3.2_8H7_Restore.ipsw. For iPhone 4, please select iPhone3,1_4.3.2_8H7_Restore.ipsw) you have just downloaded. For Mac, hold option key and click on the “Restore” button and select the firmware file to restore.
4. iTunes will then upgrade your iPhone to iOS 4.3.2. Just wait until the process completes.
Jailbreaking iOS 4.3.2 using Redsn0w
6. Launch Redsn0w
7. Click “browse” and select the iPhone 4.3.2 firmware file. For iPhone 4, please select iPhone3,1_4.3.2_8H7_Restore.ipsw. For iPhone 3GS, please select iPhone2,1_4.3.2_8H7_Restore.ipsw. Redsn0w then verifies your firmware file.
8. RedSn0w will now try to identify and process the firmware file. Once the firmware file has been identified click Next to continue.
9. Redsn0w then starts preparing jailbreak data based on the IPSW file. Just wait till you see the below screen. Select “Install Cydia” and click “Next” to proceed.
10. Now, make sure your iPhone is turned OFF and connected with your computer via USB cable. If you haven’t done so, simply connect it with USB and then power it off before you click the “Next” button.
11. Once you click “Next”, follow the procedures to put your iPhone into DFU mode. If you fail to do so, don’t worry. It won’t brick your iPhone and you can simply go through the procedures again until you get it work.
12. If you have successfully put your iPhone into DFU mode, redsn0w will do the rest. Just sit back and relax.
13. While jailbreaking, your iPhone will show downloading jailbreak data, flashing NOR, etc. And, just don’t touch your iPhone and keep waiting. Once completed, redsn0w will let you know the jailbreak process is successful.
After reboot, your iPhone should be jailbroken. Lastly, sync back your backup data with iTunes and restore all your contacts & SMS.
Founder, developer and chief blogger of simonblog.com