How To Remove iPhone Jailbreak and Restore to Factory Setting

Before you take your jailbroken iPhone back to Apple store for service, one important thing you have to do is to remove the jailbreak and restore it back to the original setting. This is crucial as jailbreaking voids your warranty according to Apple.

However, it’s pretty easy to convert your jailbroken iPhone back to factory setting. This tutorial walks you through the steps to restore your iPhone. The procedures should apply to both iPad and iPod touch as well.

1. Connect your device to computer via USB.

2. Launch iTunes

3. Select your device in the left column of iTunes.

4. Click “Restore” button.

Note: If you need to restore to a specific version of firmware, press SHIFT (for Windows user) or OPTION (for Mac user) key and click “Restore” button. This will pop up a file dialog for you to select the firmware file (i.e. IPSW).

4. If you don’t want to lose your data (such as contacts, sms, photos), backup your iPhone by selecting the “Backup” option. Otherwise, just proceed to restore without backup.

From now onwards, iTunes will restore your device to the latest version of firmware. It’ll take some time for the restoration process. Once complete, your iPhone will be rebooted automatically. That’s it. Your iPhone is now returned to the factory settings with the jailbreak, as well as, all cydia applications removed.

9 Responses to How To Remove iPhone Jailbreak and Restore to Factory Setting

1. Haley June 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

Get on a fuckin computer. It is a Phone. Not a life line: I got bricked, and I wasn’t even “jailbroken” fucking bill is outrageous. You’re retarded for doing that.

• charlie April 30, 2012 at 3:17 am #

is your bricked you have to jailbreak it out of it using pawnd DFU mode

2. pravin May 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

i have a jailbroken iphone 4 , i’m using Gvevy sim card to use it with other carriers, now i want to unjailbreak, can anyone please help.

• lenielle August 20, 2012 at 4:22 am #

All you have to do is connect to a computer and then left click scroll to restore and then it’ll ask you a series of questions

3. Your Mom July 12, 2012 at 8:06 am #

@Hayley Maybe if you knew what you were doing, your stupid self wouldn’t have had a bricked phone or an “outrageous” bill. Usage = $$$. Did you ever think of that? Go ponder that, moron :)

4. Tae Wuk the asian who needs help August 20, 2012 at 1:34 am #

Hi!
    I have a Ipod 4th gen 5.1.1 software version.
    I jail broke my iPod with redsnow 0.9.14b2 and I want to Un-jailbreak it cuz my iPods acting weird, how do I??? Thanx….in advance…xP

5. Newbie October 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

my laptop is the second itunes and it cant detect my iphone which had jailbreak, what is the matter between?

6. Adam January 30, 2013 at 3:00 am #

I restore my phone a month ago using this steps and I jailbreak it again. Check this website on how to jailbreak: http://jailbreakhome.com

7. Dave West April 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

How can I restore iPhone to factory settings?