Other than the thinner form factor and the introduction of camera, video mirroring is another exciting feature comes with the iPad 2 that lets you easily mirror what’s on your iPad onto HDTV. What’s great is that the mirroring feature works on all apps out of box. You can show your video, document or photos on an even bigger screen. What you need to do is to purchase Apple’s digital AV adapter, attach it to your iPad 2 and it works instantly.
The mirroring feature is pretty impressive however it is limited to iPad 2 owner only. Fortunately a hacker has found a solution to enable video mirroring feature on the iPad 1. Best of all the hack also works on other iOS devices including iPhone 4 and iPod touch (4G).
To use the hack and enable video mirroring, you need to have a jailbroken device running iOS 4.3.1. In case you haven’t jailbroken your device, you can check out our guide about how to jailbreak iOS 4.3.1.
If you’re ready, follow our detailed instructions after the break.
Procedures to Enable Video Mirroring
1. Use iPhone Explorer or SSH to access to system/library/coreservices/springboard.app/
2. Depending on the device you’re working on, download the corresponding plist file. For iPad, downlaod the K48AP.plist. For iPhone 4, download the N90AP.plist.
3. Edit the plist file and add “display-mirroring” with value “YES”.
Tip: For Windows user, you can use Plist Editor to edit the file.
4. Save the plist file and transfer it back to your device. Remember to place the file under system/library/coreservices/springboard.app/.
5. After that, reboot the device to make the change effective.
That’s it. Attach the Digital AV Adapter to your device and enjoy video mirroring on HDTV!
If you’re not familiar with video mirroring, check out the demo video to see it in action:
[Thanks to Nature's Eye Studios for providing the solution]