How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 for iPhone 4 and 3GS using Redsn0w

This Sunday, the latest untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.3.1 was released by the Dev-Team. Here we are, with the complete guide to jailbreak your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3G using Redsn0w.

The Dev-Team has also updated PwnageTool for Mac to jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 but Redsn0w is not only available to both Windows and Mac users but also offers a faster jailbreak process since it does not require any custom IPSW to be created.

This guide can also be used to jailbreak the iPod Touch 4G and 3G and the iPad first generation. If you were putting off the update to iOS 4.3.1 on your device, due to the lack of a stable untethered jailbreak solution, your wait is now over.

Important Note: Read before Jailbreaking

If your iPhone is not factory unlocked and you use Ultrasn0w on your iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS then please note that Ultrasn0w does not work with iOS 4.3.1 at the moment. The Dev-Team will be releasing an updated Ultrasn0w in Cydia soon.

Also, you must not update your iPhone with stock firmware from Apple. In order to preserve the iPhone baseband, upgrade to iOS 4.3.1 using custom IPSW created in PwnageTool or by using TinyUmbrella only.

Preparing for iOS 4.3.1 Jailbreak:

You must first download Redsn0w and the iOS 4.3.1 firmware in order to proceed with the jailbreak. Here are the links:

redsn0w 0.9.6rc9:

iOS 4.3.1 Official Firmware:

Since, RedSn0w does not create any custom IPSW you need to update your iPhone to iOS 4.3.1 before performing the jailbreak.

Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable. Now press Alt key on your Mac’s keyboard and click on Check for update. Windows users need to press the Shift key and then click on update.

Update ios431

You can now select the IPSW file downloaded in the previous step to update your iPhone. In less than ten minutes, your iPhone will update and reboot.

We are now ready to proceed with iOS 4.3.1 jailbreak.

Instructions to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 using Redsn0w:

Extract the RedSn0w zip archive we downloaded earlier.

Redsn0w archive

Now launch redsn0w.

Jailbreak ios 4 3 1 using redsn0w 2

Now click on Browse and select the IPSW file corresponding to your iPhone or other iOS device that you are jailbreaking.

Jailbreak ios 4 3 1 using redsn0w 1

RedSn0w will now try to identify and process the firmware file. Once the firmware file has been identified click on Next.

RedSn0w will now start preparing jailbreak data based on the IPSW file.

Jailbreak ios 4 3 1 using redsn0w 3

Jailbreak ios 4 3 1 using redsn0w 4

After the jailbreak data has been prepared you will be led to the following screen.

Jailbreak ios 4 3 1 using redsn0w 5

By default the checkbox beside Install Cydia should be selected. You do not need to change any settings here. Click Next to proceed.

Jailbreak ios 4 3 1 using redsn0w 6

RedSn0w will now ask you to connect your iOS device to your computer and turn it off. You need to turn off your iPhone or iPod Touch after connecting it to the computer. Click on Next again.

The next screen will show you instructions to put the iOS device into DFU mode.

Jailbreak ios 4 3 1 using redsn0w 7

You need to hold and release the iPhone buttons in the said order to place it in DFU mode in order to proceed with the iPhone jailbreak. This is the last step for the user as after this RedSn0w will do everything automatically.

Jailbreak ios 4 3 1 using redsn0w 8

The iPhone will be jailbroken and then rebooted.

Jailbreak ios 4 3 1 using redsn0w 9

Click on Finish when you see Done! on your screen.

Jailbreak ios 4 3 1 using redsn0w 10

In a few minutes your iPhone will restart with the Cydia icon on the springboard.

Since, there was no custom IPSW involved as compared to the PwnageTool jailbreak, all your data on your iPhone should be intact eliminating the need to resync your data.

About Megha Bassi

Megha Bassi has a strong fascination for all things Apple. Not only does she religiously follow Mac and iPhone news, but also loves writing about everything pertaining to it, be it publishing useful tutorials or app reviews.

, , , ,

41 Responses to How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 for iPhone 4 and 3GS using Redsn0w

1. Benjamin April 5, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

Above mentioned “you must not update your iPhone with stock firmware from Apple..”
    Does this apply to factory unlocked devices?

I have factory unlocked device, so I can go ahead to upgrade using the IPSW downloaded from apple website (via the link to IPSW you gave)? Can I directly Update to 4.3.1 in iTunes instead of pointing to a downloaded IPSW?

• Megha Bassi April 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

@benjamin, since you have a factory unlocked device that doesn’t apply to you. you can update in iTunes using any method.

2. dude234 April 5, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

*// Get an Apple iPhone – Free! //*

Click here to find out more …. http://www.xpango.com?ref=91441865

3. corrsty April 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

hi. i just want to confirm if I can use this jailbreak for my iPhone 3G. thanks!

• Megha Bassi April 6, 2011 at 6:27 am #

@corrsty there was no update for iPhone 3G after iOS 4.2 since the iPhone 3G does not support iOS 4.3 or later.

• corrsty April 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

@Megha Bassi – thanks for this information. i was not aware of this as i was not following the updates since o/s 3.12

4. aKaDate April 6, 2011 at 12:47 am #

I jailbreak my iphone 4 w/ Redsnow everything work but I lost my “Service” well it took me all night to figured out how to restore it.

• DezVFX April 6, 2011 at 9:40 pm #

I’ve heard about this problem from others as well. You mind telling us HOW you solved the problem and what was the outcome. Please try to include details before during and after the jailbrake. Thank you.

• aKaDate April 7, 2011 at 7:07 am #

Lost Sevice when jailbreak.. I used a different PC and restore from there and everything went back to normal. and try to jailbreak again still lost Sevice, then I gave up.

• Megha Bassi April 7, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

this sounds like the activation problem. restoring from stock firmware instead of updating and then jailbreaking with redsn0w should help.

• DezVFX April 7, 2011 at 11:12 pm #

aKaDate, thanks for the update. I went thru the process above before I got your answer and had no problems at all successfully getting my 3GS Jailbroken. It actually went pretty smoothly from beginning to end. And I had no problems with losing service. I did see elsewhere that if you lose service, turn off your Data and 3G options and then turn them on again. Hope that helps you if you decide to give it another shot.

@GraphicDesignNY

• aKaDate April 8, 2011 at 11:08 am #

Okay I gave it another try and everything work. :D

5. Usman April 6, 2011 at 5:13 am #

@ Corrsty this will not work on 3G it will only work on 3GS and Iphone 4…..http://vsocio.com

6. Jean-Michel Perrin April 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

I have an Iphone 4 and already have the former tethered Jailbreak using the former version from redsnow. How should I Proceed to use the latest jailbreak from redsnow ? Am i going to lose the jailbroken apps which are already installed on my iphone ? Thanks for your answers.

7. Anthony April 6, 2011 at 8:39 pm #

I have an iPhone 4 and it is not jailbroken. It is already on 4.3.1. Must I still manually update via iTunes with the ipsw file? Or can I skip directly to the redsn0w step?

Thanks in advance!

• Megha Bassi April 7, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

@anthony just jailbreak it using Redsn0w. no need to repeat the update since you’re on 4.3.1 already.

8. Russell April 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Using a mac…….After I downloaded the ispw file, I cannot figure out what to do next.

I click on the folder in the download folder and it opens itunes, nothing happens, but I have no idea what to do next.

Can someone help me. I am sure it’s simple.

• Megha Bassi April 7, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

@russell download redsn0w and launch it

9. Russell April 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

I found it. I had to create a desktop folder and put the icons in that folder, then I could find em.

Now, I have jumped through all the steps and it’s stuck at the “Exploiting with limera1n” screen.

I’ll keep trying though.

10. Anthony April 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

Hi, I wonder I can jailbreak the iPad 1 with OS4.3.1 using this redsn0w 0.9.6rc9. Thanks

11. nazyr April 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

Hi..
    Just restore&update my iphone4 from 4.1 to 4.3.1 using this method.
    It works, only some error 1013 after restore and few minutes blackout during final step of JB.
    Thanks to Megha Bassi for this guide. :)

12. nazyr April 7, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

….also thanks to iphone Dev Team for this JB…. :)

13. Alex April 8, 2011 at 3:40 am #

I have been trying to jailbreak my factory unlocked iphone4. however redsnow crashes right at the last part where it says uploading ramdisk.
    I have windows vista. Did anyone else have this problem?

here are the details of Redosnow crashing
    Problem signature:
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: ea39
    Additional Information 2: b511b5f235b215895bb73bdf0438aeb1
    Additional Information 3: 808c
    Additional Information 4: 8e7be555868529f4102eae59a39f593b

14. Alex April 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

Ok after about 20 attempts I gave up. This morning at work on my windows 7 Pc started trying again, and luckilly the jailbreak succeeded after just 3 attempts.
    everything seems to work at first glance.

Big thanks to the Dev team and Simon.

15. Craig April 8, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

Jailbroke last night after some difficulties. Now I have no service. I used pwnage tool and have 4.3.1 update. I have tried turning the device off and on, as well as turning cell data and 3G off and on, with no success. Please assist. I like the jailbreak, but need the phone to work more.

16. Keir April 9, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

Thanks for these detailed instructions. Very good indeed!

17. BNel April 10, 2011 at 10:30 am #

I am trying to jailbreak my Iphone 4 and I cannot seem to get the .ipsw file to download. I get a bunch of other programs that are included with the zip file, but no .ipsw file that RedSn0w with recognize when I try to direct it to the file.

any ideas? I am using a windows pc, and I have tried with windows 10 and vista, still no .ipsw file to point RedSn0w at….

• W April 10, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

Before u save the file, type .Ipsw after the file name in the save box

18. kaez April 11, 2011 at 1:10 am #

hi. i have iphone 3gs version 4.2.1 jailbreak, but i want want upgrade to 4.3.1 jailbreak. can someone teach me how to solve this? shud i update via itunes 1st then jaibreak it?

19. tay April 11, 2011 at 10:37 am #

I downloaded the firmware and redsn0w for my 3gs and when I launch the redsnow everything is fine. Once I hit browse and then click on firmware it goes to two files dfu and all flash then when I click on both they both says no items match your search. I also changed the file from .zip to .ipsw which didn’t work. Plz someone help walk me through ( I may have changed the file name incorrectly) I’m using Windows.

20. Tay April 11, 2011 at 10:44 am #

Someone plz help me I downloaded the redsn0w and firmware and launched redsn0w everything was fine. Once I hit browse I clicked firmware and it gave me another page that had all flash, and dfu. When I hit both it comes back and says no items match your search. I reloaded the firmware and changed the name from .zip to .ipsw and still nothing.( I may have changed the file incorrectly) Plz someone walk me through it and I’m on Windows XP.

21. Blurry252 April 11, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Hi,im a new iphone 4 user. Im interested in jailbreak but heard that d app is not stable n cause harm to iphone later. So should i or should i not install d apps?

22. Lisbeth22 April 11, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

I am stuck on “waiting to reboot”. Please help me what to do, somebody..Thank you so much.

23. Subbu April 15, 2011 at 5:00 am #

I could not get some content here:

Anyways, here is my situation. I have 3GS (Jail broken) with OS Ver 4.0.1. I want to upgrade it to 4.3.1. Can I do that using the guide above?

Subbu

24. Tim April 15, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

I accidently jailbroke my iPhone using the latest version of redsn0w but i forgot to update my iPhone to 4.3.1 before I did this so I am still stuck with a jailbroken iPhone on 4.1.

When I try to restore my iPhone to 4.3.1, it doesn’t work and gives error 3194.
    How do I get my phone to 4.3.1 jailbroken?

25. Niraj April 16, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

It was just smooth jailbreaking… thanks for the blog

1. How to Enable Multi-Touch Gestures in iOS 4.3.1 for iPhone 4, iPod Touch and iPad | MBVN Travel News - Share Free For You - April 7, 2011

[…] While this is not a very difficult tweak and anyone can enable multitouch gestures on their iOS device using this guide, I will advise you to backup your device in iTunes lest something go wrong. In case, you haven’t upgraded to iOS 4.3.1 read our previous guide to update and jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 using Redsn0w. […]

2. Ultrasn0w Unlock for iOS 4.3.1 Released by Dev-Team - April 10, 2011

[…] 4.3.1 and jailbroken it yet you can read our previous guide to jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 on iPhone using Redsn0w or […]

3. Update Iphone 3G ke IOS 4.3.1 « masdri.co's Blog - April 20, 2011

[…] RednSnow Windows : Posted in: Uncategorized ← FLASH MOTOROLA MILESTONE (SBF) SukaBe the first to like this post. Be the first to start a conversation […]

4. Redsn0w 0.9.6 RC14 Released to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.2 - April 20, 2011

[…] procedures for iOS 4.3.2. But if you can’t wait for it, at the mean time, you can refer to our previous jailbreak guide. The procedures for jailbreaking iOS 4.3.2 using redsn0w should be very […]

5. How to Enable Multi-Touch Gestures in iOS 4.3.1 for iPhone 4, iPod Touch and iPad | WapToDay.Info - November 3, 2011