iPhone Tip: Transfer Voice Memo from iPhone to Computer

Voice memo is a built-in app that lets you turn your iPhone into a voice recorder. However, if you’re new to iPhone, you may find it tricky about how to transfer voice memo from the device to computer.

Basically, you have two ways to do it. In this article, we’ll walk you through both methods to copy the voice memos on iPhone back to your computer.

Just Send it via Email

If the size of your voice memo is not too large, the easiest way is to send it via email. Later you can simply download the file on your computer. To share voice memo via email, you can tap the lower-right button in Voice Memo app, select the voice memo and tap the “Share” button. You can then select “Email” to send the voice memo as attachment.

Voice Memo App for iPhoneShare Voice Memo via Email

Transfer Voice Memo via iTunes

Obviously the first method is best suitable for short voice memos. For voice memos with large file size, you better transfer it using iTunes.

Just connect your iPhone to computer via USB. Launch iTunes and select your device. Under the “Music” tab, there is an option called “Include voice memos”. Check the option and then sync your iPhone.

iTunes Voice Memo Transfer

Your voice memos will be transferred from iPhone to computer during synchronization. Once iTunes completes the sync, you can find the memo under the voice memo playlist.

As always, feel free to leave us comment if you have any problem.

, ,

16 Responses to iPhone Tip: Transfer Voice Memo from iPhone to Computer

1. tderso March 24, 2011 at 5:07 am #

Thank you for this.

My voice memos would not sync until I renamed them. That is, after recording them, they had only the date and time to differentiate between them. With that, I was not able to transfer them to my computer.

2. Russell March 24, 2011 at 5:30 am #

I wish there was a way to transfer a voice memo to a different computer. For example, I’d like to save a voice memo to my work computer, but I don’t have itunes on that computer. That means I have to go home, sync, copy to disc/thumb drive, then take that to my work computer and upload it there.

(Talking about files over a couple minutes that are too large to email. )

Any ideas?

3. Mieow March 31, 2011 at 10:52 pm #

Cool! Thanks!

4. mrs bud September 14, 2011 at 3:18 am #

i can’t transfer voice memos from neither my ipad2 nor iphone 3Gs to PC. my itunes version is 4.3.5, can anyone please help?

• TDerso September 14, 2011 at 4:00 am #

Hi mrs bud,

Did you rename your voice memos? That is, you need to change the names of your voice memos from what ever the iPhone had named them to some thing else. My voice memos would not be saved to my computer either until I renamed them.

5. TDerso September 14, 2011 at 4:02 am #

One thing mrs bud, I did not get it that you said your iTunes version is 4.3.5. I think you must be referring to the OS version?

6. Winni November 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

Following your steps, i can transfer the voice memos dated recently from iphone to the computer.

For those voice memos recorded before, i cannot transfer.

Any solutions?

Thanks!!!

7. Jacob January 16, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

If only I’d known that a bit earlier. I was trying everything, and in the process I synced with my old “Voice memos” playlist, and it deleted all my memos from the last year or so.
    So I should have renamed them before transferring? How was I supposed to know that?
    What I don’t understand is how Apple is so big with beyond crap software like iTunes. If it was designed to annoy the hell out of users and waste their time, it would have won awards. I simply wanted to transfer data from one device to another, so I could make use of it. A floppy disk would have done a lot better than iTunes.

8. bt March 1, 2013 at 10:08 am #

once the memo is synced and in itunes, how can the file location be found? I’m trying to save the memo on our work server but cant get it from itunes.

9. calinere June 4, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

Thanks, i have tried your way and it works well. In addition, i also find this way useful: http://www.istonsoft.com/iphone/transfer-voice-memos-from-iphone-to-computer.html

• davis1234579 September 12, 2013 at 10:23 am #

That’s great.It is very detailed and easy to understand

10. soolsy September 11, 2013 at 11:14 am #

I used iStonsoft iPhone to computer transfer to copy voice memos from my iPhone 4s to windows 7, easy to use and worth a recommendation!!!

• davis1234579 September 12, 2013 at 10:29 am #

It’s useful of me to use.because I often encountered such a problem. iStonsoft iPhone can help me to solve it.

11. Guest September 12, 2013 at 11:02 am #

You can also use iPubsoft to transfer your iPhone voice memos to computer, i always use this!

12. kathine October 23, 2013 at 10:51 am #

There are many ways you can save your voice memos to your computer, If you have a few voice files, you can send them to your computer by E-mails, it’s very convenient, but if you have large number of voice files, you may need some app, I always use Coolmuster iPhone iPad iPod to computer transfer, it works well.

13. edfghu July 22, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

Vibosoft iPhone/iPod/iPad Transfer is also a useful transfer tool to solve this problem.