Why Personal Hotspot Is Missing After iOS 4.3 Upgrade?

Personal Hotspot for iPhone 4One of the most interesting features comes with iOS 4.3 is the introduction of Personal Hotspot for iPhone 4. Simply enable the feature and you can instantly turn your iPhone 4 into a portable wireless router that lets you create a WiFi hotspot and allows other WiFi-enabled devices (e.g. iPad) to gain 3G access anywhere.

Many of my friends have hurried to upgrade to iOS 4.3 so as to gain access to this lovely feature. I also upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 4.3 right after its debut. However it turned out I couldn’t find the personal hotspot option in Settings after the upgrade. The usual way to resolve technical issue is to reboot the device. Okay, I rebooted it and hope the option will appear. But I still couldn’t find the personal hotspot option after reboot.

I also tried other ways (e.g. re-sync the device) to resolve issue. It ends up you can easily bring back the personal hotspot option by a simple reset. In case you also find it missing after iOS 4.3 upgrade, give this solution a try.

Reset the Network Settings

Just go to Settings -> General. Scroll down to the bottom and select “Reset”. Tap on the “Reset Network Settings” option and confirm the reset. Your device will then be rebooted. Once it boots up, the personal hotspot option should appear in Settings.

iphone reset network settings

To learn more about how to use personal hotspot, you can further check out our how-to guide.

Oops! The Personal Hotspot is Still Missing!

Still missing the Personal Hotspot option? It’s likely your carrier doesn’t support Personal Hotspot or you have to pay extra to enable the support. You can refer to Apple’s Support page for a list of iPhone carriers that support Personal Hotspot (aka Internet Tethering in the support page).

Does this solution work for you? Let me know by leaving comment below.

, , , ,

47 Responses to Why Personal Hotspot Is Missing After iOS 4.3 Upgrade?

1. nrutter2000 March 20, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

The Personal Hotspot option has moved. It is still there after upgrading, but not in the main ‘Settings’ menu.

Goto ‘Settings’ -> ‘General’ -> ‘Network’ -> ‘Personal Hotspot’.

Should work exactly as before.
    Even remembers your unique password, etc.

Hope this helps!

• MAK June 6, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

This was really helpful. Thank you very much.

• Samuel November 3, 2011 at 5:48 pm #

It’s true it had moved. It is just as you said. Thanks man!
      Cheers!!

• deb August 1, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

Thank you. Have just bought a new ipad. You were a life saver, I would never have looked under network.

2. Firsta90 March 22, 2011 at 11:58 am #

My personal hotspot dissappeared about 2 weeks after I upgraded to iOS 4.3. The network reset recommended did the trick for my 3GS.

3. J March 30, 2011 at 6:34 am #

Really helpful…and esp @nrutter2000 thanks – it really helped!!! :)

4. james potter March 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

Guys, when you turn your 3g (mobile internet data) off, the personal hotspot dis-appears.
    because apple doesn’t want you to share your iphone’s wifi internet with wifi less PC.
    The previous version could do that.

So, beware when you upgrade. They keep on removing features.

Besides, they don’t allow you to downgrade officially.

5. Ricardo Cavenecia March 31, 2011 at 11:13 pm #

Didn’t work for me. I am with Claro @ Lima Peru

6. Anita April 2, 2011 at 1:56 am #

It doesn’t work for me tooooo!!! China Mobile @ China does not support this! So upset!

7. Dy May 9, 2011 at 8:47 am #

hey guys, thanks!!! this is a big help!!! it worked for me!!!! whiii!!!!!
    i tried to call the provider but they seemed to be clueless about this…ahaha

thanks again! :)

8. Ska May 26, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

Still it doesn’t work for me. I’m in Korea. I used Personal Hotspot so often before upgrading to iOS 4.3.3. Very frustrated…

• Nick June 23, 2011 at 8:14 am #

I tracked it down to a profile installed by an app called Onavo.
      TO check if any apps have installed a profile go to
      settings –> general –> profile
      remove the profile.

• KIKi July 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

A BIG thanks :)

• Mike August 2, 2011 at 9:49 am #

OMG thank you! This worked. None of the other choices worked, not even ATT.

Thank you!

• jeremy August 3, 2011 at 6:48 am #

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!! Finally I have it. I’ve had two conversations with ATT and an hour long session with an Apple tech. I even restored my iphone to factory settings. You’re the one that solved it.

• Simon Ng August 4, 2011 at 12:40 am #

That’s great! Glad to know that my solution helps.

• [email protected] September 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

Thanks Nick, it was driving me nuts. I found 2 apps in the profiles so I removed them and Viola! thanks again bro.

• chol June 28, 2011 at 7:38 am #

this also happened to me. were you able to resolve it?

9. Sakti May 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Its work!!! thanks a bunch

10. Chip Wee May 28, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

Work for me. Thanks. So is this a bug?

• Simon Ng June 5, 2011 at 11:29 am #

Hmm… Not sure if it’s considered as a buy. From what I know, the issue is only experienced by some iPhone users.

11. Lawrence June 5, 2011 at 9:32 am #

Simon, Thanks so much for this tip. It works as intended. I was about to do a full factory reset before I stumble upon this blog. Thanks a lot from Singapore!!

• Simon Ng June 5, 2011 at 11:27 am #

That’s great! Glad the tip helps you.

12. Arix June 6, 2011 at 9:08 am #

Thanks for the post. This is very helpful. I just reset the Network Settings and the Personal Hotspots appeared after it boot-up.

13. hami June 25, 2011 at 6:33 am #

i did full factory reset , and now even use ur tip , but stile not working , i check in website it supporting hot spot in my area, i really dont know what else i have to do …. thanks

14. BOB July 9, 2011 at 5:52 am #

Sometimes after a restore or setting up “new phone” it takes a whyle to sync with the 3g network to open up some settings if a reboot doesnt work and a network reset doesnt work and waiting with full bars in a 3g network for about 10 min doesnt work then your provider doesnt support the hotspot feature sorry :(

15. saurabh July 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

the soln is that u have to enter the apn settings to internet tether too. and it will automaticaly will be displayed after 1 or 2 day .
    i also got personal hotspot feature after 2 days of entering settings

16. Kobe July 10, 2011 at 12:11 am #

It works for me! Thanks a lot..

17. Sreejith July 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

It works for me, Thanks

18. Lavender July 16, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

Thx u it worked! You just have to fill the carrier APN,username and password in cellular data network setting at internet tethering section to make the personal hotspot option appears.

19. Yournameistaken July 22, 2011 at 2:22 am #

It works great. Thanks!!!

20. lafestion July 24, 2011 at 1:46 am #

Thanks! really helpful!

21. Neill July 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

You need to ensure that:
    General->Network->Cellular Data->On
    Otherwise the option for Personal Hotspot will not be there.

22. David August 11, 2011 at 2:20 am #

didn’t work for me. have also tried turning wifi, bluetooth and cell data on/off and still no personal hotspot option in settings nor network. my iPhone 4 was purchased directly from Apple website and am on Pay&Go web data tarrif on O2 UK.

23. Nina_lush September 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

I have the same profile. my carrier is orange and I am in kenya. The personal hotspot was there and i used to use it all the time. now it vanished! i have the iphone 4 with the iOS 4.3.5 and nothing is there even the cellular data settings wea u put the APN settign vanished. when i go to settings>general> there is no place like profile. HELP ME THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING!!!!

24. cagb80 October 20, 2011 at 6:48 am #

Hi everybody!
    This work for me! Try it!

If you have installed MyTime ¡UNINSTALL IT!
    Add this repo’ source: http://clubifone.org/repo/
    Find this tweck: TetherMe

Restart Springboard and look how your hotspot bottom appear!!!

Regards FROM HONDURAS TO ALL THE WORLD!!!!

25. firm October 24, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

It works for me! Thanks a lot.. :)

26. Nic November 4, 2011 at 6:36 pm #

Absolute genius! I went crazy when I couldn’t find the option and I was adamant I could do it. You’ve saved me stupid money and time solving this. Thanks!

• Happytogether18 November 5, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

Thanks cagb80. I got Hotspot now.

If you have installed MyTime ¡UNINSTALL IT!
      Add this repo’ source: http://clubifone.org/repo/
      Find this tweck: TetherMe

Restart Springboard and look how your hotspot bottom appear!!!

Regards FROM HONDURAS TO ALL THE WORLD!!!!

27. Val December 24, 2011 at 5:50 am #

WORKS GREAT!!

28. Renixy January 11, 2012 at 12:48 am #

I find my personal Hotspot after I plugged in my pc and it synced itself . I also tried to check Network menu and Reset network setting but it didn’t help . Any resolution for this ? Please help this new iPhone 4 user !!!!!

29. Josh Ward January 30, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Dude – Thanks a lot! I had called ATT for help on this and they had no clue. After reading your blog I reset network settings and all is well.

30. Heera March 19, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

To fix the Personal Hotspot missing is to retype the access point name through Internet Tethering settings:

Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data
    You will find APN under “Internet Tethering”
    Type in an access point name. You won’t require username and password.

• Lin April 14, 2012 at 11:45 am #

@Heera-you are a genius! I bow to you one million times. I just ordered my iphone 4s with ios 5.1. I opened the phone up and the first thing I checked for was for (Personal Hotspot). I called apple and the lady was half death and didnt know anything about iphones! I was about to give up and return the damn thing. By the way I was a Android user and loved it, to bad my phone broke and my cell provider were being asses about the data. ANYWAYZ back to the subject, Im super happy with the phone now….. YAY thanks a million.

• HEERA April 14, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

Hey Lin,

Glad that you found the solution. Where you from