iPhone Tip: How To Block Your Caller ID From Appearing on Other’s Phone

Caller ID is a common telephone service that allows you to see the caller’s phone number before answering the call. Conversely, when you make a call to someone, your caller ID will also appear on other’s phone.

For whatever reason you want to hide your caller ID from appearing on the callee’s phone, you can use one of the following methods to disable the caller ID feature.

Temporarily Block Caller ID

Generally, mobile operators offer special code for you to block your call ID on call-by-call basis. In case you just want to hide your caller ID for an individual outbound call, you can dial the special code prior to the number you’re calling to enable the blocking. Say, you’re in U.S. and want to dial 212-323-3322. In North America, you can use the special code *67 to disable caller ID. So instead dialing the number directly, dial *67-212-323-3322. This will prevent your caller ID from appearing and your callee will just see a “Blocked” call.

However, the special code varies by countries. According to Wikipedia, you can use the following special code to disable caller ID:

• Argentina: *31*
  • Australia: 1831
  • Denmark and Switzerland: *31*
  • Germany: *31# (for some mobile providers may use #31#)
  • Hong Kong: 133
  • Israel: *43
  • Italy: #31# (most cell phone companies)
  • New Zealand: 0197 (Telecom) and *67 (Vodafone)
  • North America: *67
  • United Kingdom and Ireland: 141
  • Sweden #31#

Permanently Block Caller ID on iPhone

If you plan to block your caller ID for all calls, you can to go to “Settings” -> “Phone” -> “Show My Caller ID”. Simply disable the caller ID feature by turning the switch to OFF.

For now, when you make any call, your callee cannot view your caller ID and usually the number will be appeared as “Blocked” in other’s phone.

As always, if you find any problem with the iPhone tip, feel free to contact us by leaving comment below.

36 Responses to iPhone Tip: How To Block Your Caller ID From Appearing on Other’s Phone

1. Manmeet January 31, 2011 at 8:14 am #

Hi Simon…. We cannot disable the caller I’d switch by turning it off as it is hidden… I am from india … Pls help to resolve this issue…..

• Sandeep January 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

Hi Manmeet, Disabling caller ID is not allowed in India. for this you need to get a special permission from the Police department.thats the reason you see this option disabled in india

2. peter stone February 1, 2011 at 2:04 am #

damn india lags in everything now even for disabling the caller id on iphone , people have to take permission from police.
    nice share Simon really useful

3. Manmeet February 1, 2011 at 9:37 am #

Thxs Sandeep.. Fr updating this information….

4. J February 21, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

This isn’t exactly germane to the article, but its related – and I’m not really sure where the proper place to ask it is, so I’ll just ask here…

When just about anyone calls my landline, the caller ID will display the person’s # and name – even if I’ve never received a call from them before.

If landlines have access to a magic caller ID directory in the cloud, why can’t mobiles? Why is it if the number isn’t in my phone book, all I get is just the number…. Can’t Verizon or AT&T or whoever also push the name along with it? I doubt it’d take that much extra data/bandwidth or whatever…. Maybe if the number is in my phone, the local data could take precedent – so it reads Mom instead of Barbra Jean Allen or whatever…. But it would still be nice to know who the occasional random caller not in my phonebook was….

5. Steph March 4, 2011 at 5:01 am #

There is no comparable feature to temporarily turn-off the Caller ID on the Verison iPhone as is available on the ATT iPhone. Why was this feature eliminated? [It should not be necessary to input *67 each time to disable the Caller ID feature for each such call.]

• Keith March 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

Steph, did you ever get a reply to your question about hiding your caller ID on verizon iphones? I’m having the same problem.

• drdeputy March 29, 2011 at 10:42 pm #

Even in the iPhone 4 Portable Genius Verizon Edition it says you can disable CID, but it’s simply not a choice on the phone settings menu. Apparently Verizon doesn’t have the capability to do that remotely (they can do it if you call them), even though the book’s author thought it did. Just another difference between the ATT and VZ iPhones I guess. I would have liked the option to do it myself on occasion w/o having to go through VZ customer service.

6. Kennections Plus January 4, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Thanks for some other excellent post. The place else may just anybody get that type of info in such a perfect approach of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am at the search for such information.

7. Caesar February 29, 2012 at 12:43 am #

I am holding my Verizon iPhone 4s in my hands. Thre simply is no settings field that refers to turning on, turning off caller ID.

8. DJ March 23, 2012 at 5:17 am #

So this is basically the opposite of how it worked in the previous version? Before the upgrade, I would turn caller id off and I would dial *82 first (in US) if I wanted to UNblock my number. That doesn’t seem to work now. When I set “Show my caller id” to off, *82 doesn’t override the block and display my number.

Now, I have to set show caller id to on and dial *67 when I want to block.

I liked it better the other way.

9. Cal April 19, 2012 at 1:29 am #

My service provider is Sprint and there is NO tab in the phone section of settings for my IPhone 4S to turn off caller ID. Any other suggestions??

Thanks!

10. Forrest April 19, 2012 at 2:42 am #

There is no such option on a Verizon iPhone as ‘Show My Caller ID’, in other words, you cannot turn it off.

11. Joker May 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Hi, tried following the steps given from the iphone tip to hide my number. In that field to disable my identity the field is grey shade completeley. I’m currentley using the iphone 4S, is there any othe way to go about this.
    H.E.L.P!!!

12. Lastik Forum May 12, 2012 at 3:28 am #

Thank you for information. Conversely, when you make a call to someone, your caller ID will also appear on other’s phone.

13. Vince May 30, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

My carrier is sprint and I too do not have the CID in my phone menu and I don’t know is if I have to call sprint or if there’s an easier way so please post an update if any of you find a solution! Thank you!

14. Michael June 12, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

Simon, I’m in North America, is there a way to permanently block caller ID & then on a call by call basis unblock so the caller can see the caller ID ONLY for that call?

Cheers,
    Michael

15. NIGEL July 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

HI,IM GETTING PROBLEMS TO HIDE MY ID IN SEYCHELLES

16. Mohamed September 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

With my 3GS I can turn on/off caller ID
    but with 4s I can’t turn it off,it’s light blue and the does not function.am in Kenya

17. mark September 17, 2012 at 3:15 am #

the question was posed but no one answered, maybe i didn’t see it or was deleted.

there is no CID in the settings>phone window.

Just has my phone number. How do I get this to work?

18. Javier Sagardia November 14, 2012 at 12:26 am #

Correcion en Argentina en los celulares GSM se digita #31# y en los fijos *31# Saludos.-

19. bong January 7, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

hi all, i juz wanna share in my country, my service provider has locked this show my caller id function, however, required extra charges each month in order for operator itself to hide your caller id :)

20. Eric February 12, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

What about in India for iPhone 4S

21. Karthikeyan March 27, 2013 at 12:13 am #

Permanently Block Caller ID on iPhone option is not working for me, im from INDIA.

22. huang March 28, 2013 at 10:50 am #

i am using i phone 5 and have blocked my caller id permanently (as mentioned above) and i was using calling card to make a overseas call, even then my phone number was shown up on the callee phone. how its possible?

23. juamedina May 3, 2013 at 2:07 am #

I just dont see the option on my 4S! Clues?

24. Dawn June 19, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

There is no longer the option to hide your number

25. Unknown July 14, 2013 at 7:19 am #

When ever my contacts call me they come up unknown and I don’t know who has called and who to call back its really annoying. Help

26. Jack August 23, 2013 at 4:08 am #

I cant turn off the caller id option on my iphone 4

• C October 2, 2013 at 2:20 am #

its fo the 5 and up, not the 4

27. Ali osman September 9, 2013 at 5:16 am #

Its dont work in egypt ??

28. Che November 10, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

I’m using 4s now, but I cannot able to off it. Why? Can u help me? Please… Thank you…

29. [email protected] January 21, 2014 at 4:21 pm #

am in sudan and i want to hidden my number if i call to any one to do that

30. Ali Soliman May 1, 2014 at 5:45 am #

please what’s the blocking code in Egypt ?

1. iPhone Tip: How To Block Your Caller ID From Appearing on Other's … « mobile vid - January 31, 2011

[…] the original post: iPhone Tip: How To Block Your Caller ID From Appearing on Other's …   No […]

2. How To Block Numbers On Iphone 4s BoxNews.US - Latest Breaking News | BoxNews.US - Latest Breaking News - September 28, 2014

[…] PDF File Name: Iphone tip: how to block your caller id from appearing on Source: http://www.simonblog.com » DOWNLOAD « […]