A few days ago, iPhone Dev Team released the an updated version of PwnageTool to cater for iOS 4.1 jailbreak. To walk you through the jailbreak process, I have updated the jailbreak guide for PwnageTool and the guide works for iPhone 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4.
Okay, let’s go straight to the jailbreak procedures.
Before you read on and take action to jailbreak your iPhone, please note that:
- This jailbreak guide is for PwnageTool, which is for Mac Only. If you do not have Mac, try to seek a friend with a Mac. You can use his/her Mac to create the custom firmware (i.e. IPSW file) and restore it on your Windows machine.
- This guide is for jailbreaking only. But as PwnageTool can preserve the existing baseband, you use ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone after jailbreaking.
- You can use this guide to jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G. If you are using jailbroken iPhone running OS 3.1.x or 4.0.x, you can also use PwnageTool to create the custom firmware to upgrade and jailbreak iOS 4.1.
- As usual, jailbreaking may void your warranty and this guide is just for reference only. For any reason, it may not work for your iPhone. So, use it at your own risk.
Ready? Let’s get started. http://wonderfulwebwomen.com/?topic=How-To-Earning-Normal-Money-Without-Investment-In-Angola How To Earning Normal Money Without Investment In Angola Grant Comment gagner sur le Forex Trading Monaco Preparation for the jailbreak
1. First, make sure you have upgraded to iTunes version 10 (or up) and backup your iPhone data by synchronizing it with iTunes.
Tip: If you’re upgrading the iPhone from older version of firmware, make sure you sync the iPhone with iTunes. This ensures all your SMS, contacts and applications can be restored after the firmware upgrade.
Tip: Please use Firefox to download the iOS 4.1 file. Do not use Safari as by default it’ll unzip the IPSW file.
3. Launch PwnageTool_4.1.2.dmg and copy PwnageTool to your desired folder. It’s recommended you put it into the same folder that contains the IPSW file.
Note: If you’re jailbreaking iPhone 3GS or 3G, the IPSW file should be iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw and iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw respectively.
4. Finally, connect your iPhone to the dock/USB cable. Please keep connected for the whole process and close iTunes if it has been launched.
Running PwnageTool 4.1.2
5. Let’s start the core part. Go to the folder you save PwnageTool. Click “PwnageTool” to launch it.
6. Click “Expert mode” and select iPhone. Then click the arrow to continue.
7. Next, select the “Browse for IPSW” option and click the arrow to continue. PwnageTool will pop up a dialog for you to select the IPSW file. Select the firmware file you have downloaded in step 2.
Note: Please note the above screenshot is for iPhone 4. For iPhone 3GS/3G, the firmware file will be different.
9. In PwnageTool main menu, select “General” and click the blue arrow.
In general settings, please set the root partition size to 888MB. This value works fine for me. But if you have any problem with your jailbreak, you can try to set the partition size to larger value (say, 900MB).Once you’ve configured the size, click the blue arrow to continue.
Note: If you are using a legitimate iPhone from official carrier (for instance, iPhone with AT&T), you need to uncheck the “Activate the iPhone” option.
10. Next, you will be go through several configuration screens. Keep all the default settings and proceed as shown.
11. After complete all the settings, you will go back to the main screen. Select “Build” and click the arrow to start building the custom firmware.
12. Accept the default filename for the custom firmware. (Of course, you can choose a better name)
13. Next, Pwnage will start creating a custom firmware file that will be used later to recover the iPhone. During the process, you will be prompted to enter your logon password.
Put your iPhone into DFU Mode
14. Now, Pwnage shows you some instructions to follow. You should follow exactly the instructions to put your iPhone in DFU mode. Remember timing is important!
15. By following exactly the instruction, your iPhone can enter DFU mode. In case you fail, don’t panic! It won’t brick your iPhone. I did the procedures twice when I first jailbreak my iPhone.
16. Ok, your iPhone should appear as if it’s turned off. Don’t touch it. Quit Pwnage and go to the final procedures.
Install the Custom Firmware
So far what you have completed is that you have created a custom iOS 4.1 and put your iPhone into DFU mode. The remaining procedures are to use iTunes and install that custom firmware onto the iPhone.
17. Start iTunes and it automatically detects your iPhone is in recovery mode.
18. Confirm “OK”. Hold down “Option” button and click “Restore”. You will be prompted to select the firmware file. Remember to select the custom firmware file.
Note: For iPhone 3GS and 3G, the filename is different. Please choose the correct file accordingly.
19. Now, iTunes will start loading the firmware onto iPhone. Don’t touch anything, keep your iPhone connected. It may take several minutes to complete the process. Once complete, iTune will prompt you that it has recovered your iPhone to the default factory settings.
20. Okay, I believe everything is smooth. You should see your iPhone boots up with iOS 4.1.
21. Finally, you can sync back all your data using iTunes.
Note: As said before, PwnageTool does not handle the unlock for you. To unlock your iPhone, follow this guide and use ultrasn0w to unlock it.
Founder, developer and chief blogger of simonblog.com