Yesterday, we have covered the release of limera1n, the jailbreak tool for iOS 4.1. I have just jailbroken my iPhone 4 using the tool. Despite it’s still in beta, the whole jailbreak process is very smooth.
To give everyone an idea about the jailbreak process using limera1n, here is the jailbreak guide.
Before Proceeding Jailbreak
Before you dive into the jailbreak process, please read through the following points carefully:
- As usual, before kicking off the jailbreak, remember to backup all your iPhone data via iTunes. You can simply connect the iPhone to your computer and sync all the data. This step is crucial. In any case you are stuck in the jailbreak process, you can always restore your iPhone back to the original state.
- If you haven’t upgraded the iTunes to the latest version, download and install it before proceeding to jailbreak.
- Limera1n works on iPhone 3GS, iPhone4, iPod touch 3G and iPod touch 4G running on iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.1. But for this guide, I only tested the jailbreaking for iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1 only.
- Limera1n is not an unlock tool. It?s just for jailbreaking only. If you rely on ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone, please DO NOT upgrade to iOS 4.1, as the baseband version will also be upgraded.
For now, Limera1n only supports Windows only. GeoHot will soon release the Mac version.Limera1n now supports both Windows and Mac platform.
Procedures to Jailbreak iPhone using Limera1n
1. Download Limera1n from limera1n.com.
2. Connect your iPhone to computer via USB and launch limera1n.exe you have just downloaded.
3. Simply click “make it ra1n” to kick off the jailbreak process.
4. Once the jailbreak process starts, limera1n will put your iPhone into recovery mode.
5. Follow the on-screen installation to put your iPhone into DFU mode. You may not be able to make it for the first time. Don’t worry. Limera1n allows you to retry till you put the iPhone into DFU mode.
6. When you successfully put your iPhone into DFU mode, limera1n will jailbreak the iPhone with bootrom-based exploit. The jailbreak process takes less than 30 seconds to complete.
7. Close limera1n and disconnect your iPhone from computer.
8. Power ON your iPhone. Once started, you’ll notice an icon of limera1n.
9. Tap on the limera1n icon. When launched, select cydia and then tap “Install” to install it.
10. That’s it. Cydia is installed on your iPhone! In case you can’t find the cydia icon, try to reboot your iPhone.
Not Working? Try again!
For some reasons, you fail to jailbreak the iPhone for the very first time. In that case, you can simply reboot your iPhone and go through the whole process again. Usually, the jailbreak should work normally for the next trial.
If that still doesn’t work, you probably need to wait for the final release of limera1n.