Yesterday, we have covered the release of limera1n, the jailbreak tool for iOS 4.1. I have just jailbroken my iPhone 4 using the tool. Despite it’s still in beta, the whole jailbreak process is very smooth.

To give everyone an idea about the jailbreak process using limera1n, here is the jailbreak guide.

Before Proceeding Jailbreak

Before you dive into the jailbreak process, please read through the following points carefully:

• As usual, before kicking off the jailbreak, remember to backup all your iPhone data via iTunes. You can simply connect the iPhone to your computer and sync all the data. This step is crucial. In any case you are stuck in the jailbreak process, you can always restore your iPhone back to the original state.
  • If you haven’t upgraded the iTunes to the latest version, download and install it before proceeding to jailbreak.
  • Limera1n works on iPhone 3GS, iPhone4, iPod touch 3G and iPod touch 4G running on iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.1. But for this guide, I only tested the jailbreaking for iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1 only.
  • Limera1n is not an unlock tool. It’s just for jailbreaking only. If you rely on ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone, please DO NOT upgrade to iOS 4.1, as the baseband version will also be upgraded.
  • For now, Limera1n only supports Windows only. GeoHot will soon release the Mac version. Limera1n now supports both Windows and Mac platform.

Procedures to Jailbreak iPhone using Limera1n

1. Download Limera1n from limera1n.com.

2. Connect your iPhone to computer via USB and launch limera1n.exe you have just downloaded.

3. Simply click “make it ra1n” to kick off the jailbreak process.

4. Once the jailbreak process starts, limera1n will put your iPhone into recovery mode.

5. Follow the on-screen installation to put your iPhone into DFU mode. You may not be able to make it for the first time. Don’t worry. Limera1n allows you to retry till you put the iPhone into DFU mode.

6. When you successfully put your iPhone into DFU mode, limera1n will jailbreak the iPhone with bootrom-based exploit. The jailbreak process takes less than 30 seconds to complete.

7. Close limera1n and disconnect your iPhone from computer.

8. Power ON your iPhone. Once started, you’ll notice an icon of limera1n.

9. Tap on the limera1n icon. When launched, select cydia and then tap “Install” to install it.

10. That’s it. Cydia is installed on your iPhone! In case you can’t find the cydia icon, try to reboot your iPhone.

Not Working? Try again!

For some reasons, you fail to jailbreak the iPhone for the very first time. In that case, you can simply reboot your iPhone and go through the whole process again. Usually, the jailbreak should work normally for the next trial.

If that still doesn’t work, you probably need to wait for the final release of limera1n.

Enjoy jailbreaking!

, , , ,

62 Responses to Complete Guide: How To Jailbreak iOS 4.1 for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS using Limera1n

1. xdesmus October 12, 2010 at 12:29 am #

So if I already have my phone jailbroken right now and then I follow this guide will it seamlessly bring over all of my existing jailbroken stuff (Lockinfo, Sbssettings, etc) or will I will need to reinstall all of that stuff even though I’m going jailbreak to jailbreak?

• Zoey October 12, 2010 at 8:21 pm #

We all wish that was the case. As soon as you update to 4.1 you will lose your jailbreak which means all your cydia apps will be removed from your phone. If you backed up your cydia apps you can reinstall them all again.
      Good luck.

2. Xushi October 12, 2010 at 12:36 am #

In addition, it might be worth mentioning in the very beginning (to those that haven’t upgraded to 4.1, or already have it jailbroken on 3.x, 4.0.x) that they will need to upgrade to 4.1 first (un-jailbreaking it obviously – which now is normal), then running limera1n, which will re-jailbreak it, and then restore from their backup.. Correct me if i’m wrong please.

Thanks!

• Zoey October 12, 2010 at 8:14 pm #

No need to correct you – your spot on correct :)

3. zdeto October 12, 2010 at 12:51 am #

So, this is not working on iPhone 3G with iOS 4.1?

4. Marvin October 12, 2010 at 3:12 am #

Does MMS works in iphone 4.1 after jailbreak?

• Zoey October 12, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

Yes it sure does.

5. ocho October 12, 2010 at 5:07 am #

hi Simon, can I use limerain to jailbreak apple TV2? tnx

6. vince October 12, 2010 at 5:57 am #

the only real reason i want to jailbreak iphone4 is to get fontswap back… does it work for all system fonts yet? as of a couple months ago it didnt. It only worked on “Notes” font.. Anyone who knows, a answer would be awesome. Thanks

• Zoey October 12, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

Hi. Answer to your question NO fontswap does not work on OS 4.1 no1 has bothered to update it since 3.1.3 it has never worked on any OS 4 firmwares.

7. Cruisin October 12, 2010 at 7:32 am #

thanks for a very detailed guide…i jailbroke a friends iphone4 and works good.

8. tarakrp9 October 12, 2010 at 11:41 am #

Hi, I tried limera1n, it works. I have iphone 3Gs but 4.1 and still it jailbreak. Thanx it just took 69seconds. But I don’t know how to unloak this. Please let me know…

9. MjkSoft October 12, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

After installing limera1n, and next step to install Cydia, It doesn’t work .. Takes a long time ,,, Then raising an error : Error downloading Cydia ………….
    Tried many time but it doesn’t work .. my wifi is working fine Safari is working fine.

some other pepole face the same problem in different blogs, but no one offereing a soultion.
    I have iPhone 4 4.0.2 1.59.00 never jailbroaken before.

10. myaser112 October 12, 2010 at 4:25 pm #

ko

11. Shijin October 12, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

Simon, Is this will work for iPhone 3G 4.1 and 05.14.02 Baseband?

12. jack thomas October 12, 2010 at 6:26 pm #

can i use limera1n with jailbreak iphone4?

• Zoey October 12, 2010 at 8:19 pm #

Yes you can. That’s the whole reason why they released it. Good luck – it works perfectly.

13. Eoin Delaney October 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm #

I recently went through a college exercise on blogging about Jailbreaking iPhones/iPods and why it’s done http://jailbreakfree.blogspot.com/2010/10/jailbreak-your-way-to-free-dom.html. Why do you think hackers do this? To get Fifa11 for free, or to get one up on a big company like Apple? and these activities don’t look like slowing, Limera1n (which I used yesterday) being a perfect example

14. sumegh Kadam October 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

How to upgrade os4 on iphone 3g 8 gb model?
    any idea?

15. Alex October 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm #

For those of you who wants 4.1 and still want to unlock, there is a way..
    You can upgrade to 4.1 without changing your baseband from 1.59.0 and unlock it with ultrasn0w. I did it for two iphone 4′s.

16. Alex October 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

For those of you who want to unlock 4.1, it is possible if you have your baseband as 01.59.00. You can upgrade to 4.1 and still maintain your baseband as 01.59.00 using tinyumbrella. i have tried this and it worked perfectly well. Now i have two iphone 4 that is on 4.1, baseband 1.59 and unlocked using ultrasn0w.

17. mjksoft October 13, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

After installing Limera1n, Next step is to install cydia, After a long waiting for a slow downlaod its completed .
    Rebooting and Icons are there Limera1n and Cydia, BUT when open Cydia it doesn’t work just flash the black screen and close in a second !!

I did the remove and install Limera1n 5-7 times and the same result

Any Idea ??

I have iPhone 4 4.0.2 1.59.00

18. Ochiroo October 14, 2010 at 9:11 am #

are Jailbreak and Unlock different?
    I have 3G iphone. is that tool can Jailbreak for My phone?
    How can i do unlock for my iphone (3G os4.1, firmware 05.14.02)?
    please help me :(

19. shamz October 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

Really appreciated…for your jailbreak…already tried and it work perfectly well…fantastic…your really..really great..
    Now my iphone 4g with 4.1 already jailbreak…

20. shamz October 14, 2010 at 2:49 pm #

plz….help me how to used video call by iphone 4g….i tried 2 many times..but really upset…
    maybe due to country, they make blocked for video call..its posible…
    now im using vodafone…anybody can help to solve this problem…

21. sam October 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm #

hi, i would like to know if i can get the installer after i jailbrake using Limera1n?

22. sam October 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

hi there,
    wanted to check, after the jailbrake with Limera1n, am i able to use the installer?

• Simon Ng October 14, 2010 at 10:15 pm #

@sam,

Cydia already replaces installer.

23. Luc Vlaemynck October 15, 2010 at 6:30 am #

Thanks Simone, it was for my level not easy but I did it, so it works.

For those that forget some… here the needed software and settings. You have WinSCP and VNC Viewer on the pc I guess, the hierarchy of the settings I did is: upgrade 4.1, load Cydia, than manage and sources, typ and load (cydia.hackulo.us) = installous. Later search in Cydia for SBSettings, than ‘open SSH,’ than ‘terminal’ in the section “Featured” also in Cydia. Immediately you need to change “alpine” passwd, because when you don’t do this… Cydia don’t listen well, some hacker ar litle busy on your iphone. It was my experiance because what I look for he give other thing that I don’t ask for etc. So afther passwd change you load veency en than VNC viewer for connecting your iphone with the pc.

Maybe I forget some but it is afther a long time good to remember this name’s.

Than I load all my software (app) that I save before on the pc. Some are not deleted in installous downloads what was a gift of God.

Note… I load two time sbsetting because of confused… so now when I go to Cydia, I have alway’s an error or when I reboot than I need to reboot again because of working in savemode. In fact… afther this small things the iphone jailbreak is a succes…. And this all thanks the help of “Simone!”

Luc

• Luc October 16, 2010 at 2:13 am #

I forget to write my email adres and missed up the message… So that is bad luck!

I answer on my message

Remove Background is the problem that reboot failed. It happen only when use the sbsetting app RemoveBG.

Also in Cydia… it most all the time reload … why?

GPG EROR

http.. etc Myrepospace.com NODATA 1 NODATA 2

Failed to fetch:

http etc… dMobilecinema.com/./nl.bz2

Something is strange… noone of the… Frash and RemoveBG is downloaded by the new upgrade… It comes free with the new SBSettings. It is possible that Frash and RemoveBG most be deleted and install again. The problem is… In Cydia are 3 apps from remove background… I don’t know which I have. Second, what I do with the bad GPG eror from My repospace (NODATA) and Frash.

Thanks for reading this message!

Luc

24. tara subba October 15, 2010 at 9:26 pm #

hello simon,
    i successfully jailbroken my iphone 3gs iso 4.1 but some of my apps are not display but when i type on search it’s there. From cydia also when i install some apps are not display n not find in search also. Please help me.

• Luc October 16, 2010 at 2:19 am #

Dear Tara

I’m not a proffessional but what I say now works for me… afther download app… It is alway’s needed to Respring. You need to move with your finger above the screen to activate sbsettings, than use power for reboot or respring.

I think that you gonna see the downloaded apps fro installous.

Luc

25. happylight October 17, 2010 at 12:30 am #

Hi, Simon,

Do you have any suggestion about iphone 2G. Is that possible to jailbreak using Limera1n too? Thank you very much!

• Simon Ng October 17, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

@happylight,

Apple has ended the support of iPhone 2G for iOS 4.0. You can only upgrade your iPhone 2G to iOS 3.1.3 and then use redsn0w to jailbreak it. Check out this jailbreak guide for further details.

26. Luc October 17, 2010 at 3:17 am #

Is very strange to hear that MAC iphone friends still waiting for jailbreak IOS 4, let us hope that this fix come very soon.

I had a solution for the problem that is explanated in my reply but maybe is it to much… the forum don’t allow it… Pity!

Luc

• Simon Ng October 17, 2010 at 2:27 pm #

@Luc,

Limera1n is now available for Mac user. You can check out the details here.

27. Marvin October 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm #

MMS is not working :(
    Anyone facing the same problem as me?

28. doug October 19, 2010 at 8:51 am #

ok so please confirm if you can how to backup existing Cydia apps (on jailbroken 3GS 4.0.1) and then how to restore those once the update to 4.1 and re-jailbreaking takes place. THANKS!

29. james October 19, 2010 at 11:35 am #

I’ve jailbreak to my iphone os to os 4.1 using limera1n. However i can’t seem to get my mms to work even though i’ve got the right settings for the mms apn.
    Is there something that i would have missed?

30. Pierre Bichoupan October 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

We really dig what you write about here. We try and check your site every day so keep up the good posts!

31. Jeffrey October 21, 2010 at 9:20 pm #

Thanks so much Simon. Worked just as you said it would for my 3GS.

32. Anesh October 31, 2010 at 4:12 pm #

I am trying to restore my iPhone 3GS by downloading the iOS 4.02 from the below site…http://www.simonblog.com/iphone-software-download/ so that I can jailbreak and unlock the phone (iOS 4.0.2).

My phone present settings are as follows:
    Modem Firmware – 05.11.07
    iOS version – 3.1.2 (7D11)
    Jailbroken and Unlocked phone (3GS)

When I try to restore the iPhone using iTunes 10, and the “iPhone2,1_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw” file downloaded from the simonblog website (download section) … I get the following error – “iTunes Error: The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)”

Any advice/ help?

33. TRiXXUS November 11, 2010 at 8:35 am #

Newbee ! looked all over web for jailbreak. and this looks like the only helpful site I could find ! welldone simon.

I dont really want to jailbreak. I just need to unlock from 02 to vodafone.
    But looks like to do this I have to jailbreak first!
    and if I have this right I can unlock to voda with cydia after jailbreak ?
    So if this is correct my question is…
    GREENPOISON DEV TEAM or now limera1n????
    iphone 3gs firmware 4.1 (8B117)

THANX

34. USMAN November 13, 2010 at 3:12 am #

well Limera1n hacktivate the iphone 4 or we will have to use a official sim card to run it after jailbreak.

35. Tuitionhomebiz November 18, 2010 at 8:18 am #

Hi Simon & experts out there,

Wish to know for jailbroken Iphone 3GS and Iphone 4 with IOS 4.1 , are following apps still workable? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

a) Activator
    b) biteSMS
    c) HapticPro
    d) iBlueNova
    e) iFile
    f) iPhoneDelivery
    g) iProtect
    h) iSmart Dialer
    i) Notifier
    j) PdaNet
    k) USB Drive
    l) PkgBackup

36. tc November 21, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

recently i updated my iphone 4 to ios 4.1, everything was great …but it keep dropping call when i disable my 3g service which is meant that it will dropping call during edge… any ideas?

37. tc November 21, 2010 at 4:15 pm #

38. Luc November 21, 2010 at 5:26 pm #

I can’t see all the video on safari websie, I use frash: repo.benm.at.
    I download and delete many time, is there an ios4.1 compatble problem? Thanks

39. Luc November 21, 2010 at 9:10 pm #

Since I upgraded to an iPhone 4.1, several web pages that I frequently visit will crash Safari every time I attempt to load them. The page loads for a few second, starts to display the content, and then as the page is almost fully loaded, boom, I’m back on my home screen. The funny thing is these pages load before fine in ISO 3.1.3., maybe also in ios 4. When I disable Java Script in the Safari Control Panel or sbsettings, the pages will load, although they do not display ads and do not have working navigation controls. I have inspected the page source code and can find no other explanation. Why do they load correctly and work well in an older operating system, but not in ISO 4.1?

40. cool December 14, 2010 at 11:23 pm #

i got iphone ios version 4.1 do i still need to upgrade it to 4.2? my phone is jailbroken already..i cannot install some application and there is a pop up which says need to upgrade to 4.2 but there is a warning…most of free games from cydia are not nice…im really confuse anyone can help?

• Simon Ng December 15, 2010 at 1:09 am #

Most iPhone apps available on App Store should support iOS 4.1. So I think you can stay with iOS 4.1 rather than rushing for 4.2. Please note that you’ll need to jailbreak your iPhone again after iOS 4.2 upgrade.

41. Luc December 16, 2010 at 4:05 am #

Simon has right, me also don’t upgrade to 4.2… when some apps don’t work than download an older version. The new update 4.2 is something good for specialist or office workers as print directly from iphone. For normale use there is nothing special and by the way… jealbreak is not big job, it is updating of the settings that make allot of work. So do as me… wait to 4.3 or something!

Luc

42. john December 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

hello quick question.
    i was wanting to know if once i jailbreak my phone and then put in my tmobile sim card willl i be good to go or is there still another process i would have to take?

43. Everette Mcclurkan January 20, 2011 at 5:17 am #

I am really thankful to this topic because it really gives useful information ‘”:

44. Luc January 20, 2011 at 6:40 am #

Today my 3 GS sold, I still waiting for iphone 4 and then use again IOS 4.1, not higher because it is still the best baseband!

Ask what is the best scratch resistant protective film for the iPhone, also as regards the metal side!

45. Brandi January 24, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

ok so i just tried to jailbreak my phone using this program and i followed all the steps and got to “in DFU mode…wait” and my phone is stuck. it will not do anything else. I tried to unplug it and try it again but my phone will not even power on. When i try to restore it it says I have to upgrade to software 4.2. What do I do now? Please help

46. Luc January 24, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

You need to inform everyone which baseband you use before, type of iPhone etc. It is also interessted for me… because when I have the iPhone 4 and the baseband is 4.1 and I need make an jailbreak again. It is possible that there is something change since this last jailbreak, something in the system that don’t allow jailbreak anymore… so give more explanation and someone that know the reason come sure back to the topic.

Luc

47. Yash February 5, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

Hi. I followed each and every step you mentioned here. I got every part right. But, when I open the ‘limera1n’ app on my iPod to install Cydia, it generally quits unexpectedly! When I first tried, Cydia icon came on the Home Screen, when I opened it, it doesn’t open. Only a light flashes kinda and nothing happens!

I have iPod Touch 4G running on iOS 4.1 and I used my MacBook, Mac OS X 10.6

Please, help me.

Thanks :)

48. Cocowa March 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

Did they release an unlock for BB 3.x and 2.x? I heard it should be available soon but never seen it online!

49. Ash April 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

I completed the jailbreak but don’t have the make it rain icon and don’t know how to get Cydia.. Can anyone help please?

50. lobid October 21, 2011 at 2:22 am #

today i update my iphone 3gs to ios4.1 but now my itunes can’t find my phone! if my itunes couldn’t found it i lost my all data which was backupd! now what thing i have to do?

1. Lowest Prices on iPhone Stuff » Post Topic » PwnageTool Now Supports iOS 4.1 Jailbreak - October 23, 2010

[...] iPhone even after the upgrade. And that’s the main advantage over other jailbreak tools like Limera1n and [...]