The business of developing iPhone applications has a bright present and a great future. If you are active in this domain or just think of starting there are two options available for you – develop for other companies or develop for yourself and monetising through specialised websites. The process of listing your iPhone app on iTunes is not complicated and the big callenges come after you will list it.
I gathered 10 tips advices which will help you achieve greater results with your app:
1. Promote your app outside of iTunes. Your primary goal will have to be to arrive in top 25. If you limit all your promotion to iTunes, your product will be one of the others more than 250,000 listed.
2. Start with studying the Facebook Developer’s page and try to link your product to Facebook and also use this social network to promote your app. Also a Facebook page for your product will be necessary.
3. Open an account on Twitter for your app and start to get followers and communicate with them.
4. Start a Youtube channel or at least publish a video about your app because people will like to see some images about what your app can do. Don’t forget to add title, tags and description to the video and a link to your app’s page on iTunes.
5. Launch a blog about your app or at least dedicate a specialised page for your app on the company’s website.
6. Submit for review your app to appshopper.com, appcraver.com and iphoneapplicationlist.com – these sites are managed by professionals and will review your app accordingly. They are great resources which are checked for reference by future buyers.
7. Gather testimonials from satisfied customers and publish them on your site or blog.
8. Offer a free version for your app followed by a paid upgrade – this way, any potential customer can test your application for free and decide if will go further and buy or not.
9. Promote coupons for special discounts on certain websites for limited periods of time.
10. Inform yourself by reading articles and ebooks to keep up with the news in the market.
Editor’s Note: Adrian Niculescu is a social media strategist with international expertise. He is active in publishing articles in online and offline press around the world regarding his areas of expertise. He also regularly attends national and international conferences as speaker.