Erase All Data Before Selling Your iPhone

Erase iPhone before selling itWith the arrival of iPhone 4, you may consider selling your existing iPhone and upgrade to the new one. Whether you plan to sell your old iPhone on eBay or through a store, make sure you completely erase all data on your device.

Basically, there are two ways to wipe the data on iPhone and reset it to the factory settings. In this article, I’ll share with you both methods to erase the iPhone data.

But before removing your iPhone data (including contacts, SMS, note, calendar, etc), don’t forget to back them up to your computer via iTunes. By saving a copy of iPhone data onto your PC, this ensures you can restore the data back to your new iPhone.

Backup Your iPhone Data

To backup the data, connect your iPhone through USB and launch iTunes. On the left panel, right click on your iPhone and select “Backup”. iTunes then automatically backs up all your iPhone data.

Erase All Content on your iPhone

Once you complete the backup, go back to your iPhone. Tap “Settings” -> “General” -> “Reset”. Select “Erase All Content and Settings” and tap “Erase iPhone” to confirm. You will see an Apple logo and a progress bar during the data removal process. Once completed, all the data on your iPhone are erased.

Alternatively, you can simply restore the iPhone via iTunes to its original settings. This method can also erase all contents on your iPhone.

So, don’t miss this important step before selling your iPhone. If you have any questions, feel free to leave us comment. We will try our best to help.

Note: In case you need to setup the iPhone before selling it, remember to configure it as a new iPhone when iTunes prompts you.

, , ,

109 Responses to Erase All Data Before Selling Your iPhone

1. Edmund July 9, 2010 at 1:01 am #

for iPhone 3GS (jailbroken with blackra!n) version 3.1.2 (7D11):
    1) issit safe to restore via iTunes as illustrated above? Will iTunes automatically upgrade my software to iOS4.0?
    2) I heard the iPhone will get stuck in a startup loop
    3) should I d/l the latest iTunes version? (now using ver 9.0.2.25)
    4) can I jailbreak my iPhone again after restoring?

• Simon Ng July 10, 2010 at 12:02 am #

@Edmund,

1. Yes. When you use the “Restore” option, iTunes will automatically restore the latest version of iPhone OS (i.e. iOS 4.0). In case you are using jailbroken iPhone, please download the correct firmware file here. Then press SHIFT key and click “Restore” button. This will allow you to manually select your preferred firmware file for the restoration.
      2. I do not experience it for a normal restore.
      3. If you’re restoring iOS 4.0, please use the latest version of iTunes.
      4. You can still jailbreak your iPhone again for OS v3.1.2.

2. Vince July 9, 2010 at 4:10 am #

I cannot backup my iphone. I have a 3g jailbroken with blackra1n operating system 3.1.2 and everytime I try and back it up it gives me the error message that the backup failed. I assume its because its jailbroken. ever since itunes 9 i have had the hardest time syncing at all. It makes me set it up as a new iphone everytime. is there any way for me to get thru a successful backup Id like to keep my texts when I upgrade to iphone4 in the next few days. and all my pics

• Saqib Ali July 16, 2010 at 10:32 pm #

This way is not that to understand. I t is an alternate way of backing up the phone. When you connect ur iphone to itunes go to the info tab for your iphone and check the sync contacts thing and apply it. it will back up ur phone then will save ur contacts on the program of ur choice.

• Pedro July 22, 2011 at 1:15 am #

i think you have to upgrade your itunes to the latest version. it’s not supossed to do this. i’m jailbroken and i can back up.

3. Amir Khella July 9, 2010 at 2:49 pm #

I have a jailbroken 3G and never had a problem backing it up. Are you using iTunes on Windows or Mac?

4. Usman Kazaure July 9, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

Hello Simon,
    Could this be safe on Jailbroken iphone that was upgraded to 3.1.3 fw and 05.12.01 bb but now fully okay with the release of ultrasn0w?

• Simon Ng July 9, 2010 at 11:50 pm #

@Usman,

Yes. It’s safe to upgrade to 3.1.3. The latest version of ultrasn0w can unlock bb 05.12.01. You can check out the details here.

• Dana September 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

I erased all contents of my iphone 3g and after the resetting, the apple logo remained without the progress bar. It doesnt start and wont turn off. I even connected it to the computer but it was not detected by the pc. I also tried to charge the phone but the battery sign doesnt show up. What should I do? thank you so much!

• waqas September 21, 2011 at 3:18 am #

dear i am also facing this problem ,if you can help me then plz let me know .my id is ,
          looking your support

• chetan October 13, 2011 at 10:04 am #

hey you got any answer?? i’m also kinda stuck in it…

• Chris October 16, 2011 at 8:20 am #

hold down the home and power button until the phone restarts =)

5. Usman Kazaure July 10, 2010 at 1:35 am #

HI,
    I mean backingup the iPhone with 3.1.3 fw.

6. Russell July 10, 2010 at 11:23 am #

Simon,

Now that this has evolved a bit into back up questions, can you tell me how fix the problem of the phone taking literally 10-12 do a back-up and restore? Thanks ahead of time. Love the blog, check it daily.

7. Russell July 11, 2010 at 4:40 am #

Hours

8. Russell July 13, 2010 at 4:51 am #

Just for info and gee wizz…….After I upgraded to 4.0, I am once again able to back up and sync my phone in only a few minutes, instead of several hours. I have no idea what it took so long, but I am happy.

9. Karthikeyan July 19, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Hi sir
    I had erased all the contents and settings on My iPhone 3 GS , but the Apple logo still appears with the animating loader, its stil there for long time , the battery also get drained , How can i get back my iPhone to home screen , is it a problem… please help me to solve the problem

• Simon Ng July 19, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

@Karthikeyan,

In this case, I suggest you to restore your iPhone via iTunes. But are you using official sim card?

• Karthikeyan July 21, 2010 at 12:04 pm #

Thanks for the suggestion,
        i’m not using the official sim, am using the jailbroken iPhone,
        i used spirrit for jailbroke and ultrasn0w for unlocking it.

• Karthikeyan July 22, 2010 at 12:21 pm #

Thanks Simon,
          As u suggested i had restored the iPhone, i cant able to restore with 3.1.3, so i updated to ios4, nut it is asking for Activation, i dont have the official sim, How can i activate it without sim or Official sim, is an ordinary Indian SIM is fine or do i need to buy any other special sim?

• Karthikeyan July 22, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

Hi simon,

10. The Ghola July 21, 2010 at 3:17 am #

Does this method wipe both partitions that were described in earlier software versions? Originally, you had to jailbreak your phone to completely wipe it, correct? Does this method actually overwrite the data or is it just wiping the index? It doesn’t take but 15 minutes. This doesn’t seem like it erases anything, just looks erased.

11. vanner July 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

Hi Simon, I did facing the same problem with Mr.Karthikeyan. I try to restore via itune but there are Error The iPhone ‘iPhone’ could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1611.)
    Please advice what to do. Thanks million.

12. kevin August 1, 2010 at 11:19 pm #

i tried to reset my 3g phone so i could sell it. i went through the steps above but now my phone is stuck in a start up loop and my computer does not see it can any one help

13. ABHISHEK August 25, 2010 at 2:14 am #

I tried erasing the iphone 3gs data by going to settings tab and Selecting “Erase All Content and Settings”.

The apple logo is still showing for hours.

I also tried connecting with itunes to restore it back however itunes is not detecting the iphone!

Please help

• vandita January 8, 2011 at 5:03 am #

the same has happened to me. what should be done now?? do we need to panick??

14. Jorges September 2, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

Hey Simon!

Same happened 2 me! I was deleting all info using “Erase All Content and Settings” on a 3GS with 3.1.3 version. I tried all day to upgrade to 4.0.1 but itunes whon’t let me. I entered recovery mode but still I can’t get the itunes to accept the 4.0.1 or 4.0 versions. I have 2 questions:
    1- As my 3gs had the 3.1.3 version, could I download an older version of itunes to skip the verification and re-install 3.1.3?
    2- Is there anything I can do?
    Thanks!!!

• Simon Ng September 2, 2010 at 9:39 pm #

@Jorges,

What do you mean by “iTunes won’t let you upgrade to 4.0.1″? What version of iTunes are you using?

• Jorges September 3, 2010 at 1:09 am #

Hey Simon!

Thanks 4 the reply!
        I was using itunes 9.2.1.5 and when I tried to Restore it, with versions 4.0.1, 4.0 or 3.1.3 itunes showed error 3194. I just fixed it! entering the hosts file and it worked! Installed 4.0.1!!! Can this be also done with 4.0.2 3gs, Firmware 05.13.04?
        Again thank u very much 4 this awesome blog!

• Chris September 4, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

I’m in the same position as others. I tried to erase all through the iphone (3gs 16 GB) and I keep getting the apple loop. When I hook up to itunes its says it want to update and restore to 4.0.2. I previously had 4.0.1 (jailbroken with spirit). I did shift+restore and found 4.01. ipsw file, but itunes said it was connecting to apple to ‘verify’ update and i got code error 3194. Jorges said he got it to work after the error code but doesn’t say how. Any suggestions?

• Vijay Kumar November 22, 2010 at 6:43 pm #

Jorges i am struggling with the same problem

error3194
          pls help me

15. Ferrari September 9, 2010 at 7:05 am #

I had the same problem (stuck in a loop of reboot, showing the apple logo, then reboot after trying to reset all content and settings) with 2 different iphones a 4 and a 3GS. In both cases I was able to fix the problem by restore to 4.0.1 (assuming your SHSH is saved in Cydia). Just follow instruction to downgrade your iphone. In short:
    -put iphone in DFU (hold power and home button, then during reboot, release power and keep home button)
    -iTunes will tell you the iphone needs to be restored
    -click on restore button while holding the shift key
    -select 4.0.1 ipsw

16. John October 16, 2010 at 11:59 am #

So I have a 3Gs vers. 4.0 that is Jailbroken via Cydia that I am trying to sell since I got the iPhone 4 and Im not sure how to erase all of my content on my device. I noticed other people were asking the same kind of question but I need to know If I use the “Erase all content and Settings” do I have to plug my phone into itunes to restore it still?

17. michele October 18, 2010 at 4:47 am #

hi.. I have the new iphone 4 set up and it has all current data. my 3gs 16 gig has been sitting and I’d like to sell it. can you tell me exactly what I need to do to erase everything on the 3? thanks so much. Michele

18. Rizwan Han November 4, 2010 at 11:18 pm #

Dear Simon.

Would you kindly share me the tips on how to register itunes without putting the credit card code? Iyour advice will be useful for me. thanks

19. Ravi November 12, 2010 at 11:57 am #

Hi Simon, I need your guidance towards doing a master reset on my iphone 3gs 3.1.2 UNLOCKED AND JAILBREAK. Im planning to upgrade to Iphone 4 so wanted to sell my iphone 3gs. Since my iphone 3gs is unlock and jailbreak, I have no idea how to do a master reset and im a little worried seeing lots of issues many folks facing during restore process. I am selling it in 2 days time,so please guide me through. Appreciate it.

20. Vijay Kumar November 21, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

I have jailbroke iphone 4 4.0.2 and erased iphone
    its struck at apple logo

and tried to restore with 4.0.2 ipsw file
    but its not working error code 3194

pls need help

21. AVINASH January 2, 2011 at 7:51 am #

hi simon,
    i did the same erased all contents and setting but after connecting to itunes insted of choosing new iphone i choosed the second option.
    now all applications are der in my iphone but the first screen which has phone applications is blank.please tell what to do.

22. alex January 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

а можна просто востановить айфон 3gs
    ы штоб не обновилась прошивка на 4.1

23. Steven January 6, 2011 at 8:09 am #

I am almost sure I will suffer the same problem, if I erase everything I wont be able to restore… Already iTunes does not recognize my iPhone 4 4.1, so Im scared doing this without proper intel. My phone does work but nothing in iTunes, anyone have an answer for this?

24. midou007 January 7, 2011 at 12:41 am #

hello every one
    – i have iphone 3G on 3.1.2 work normally
    – i tried to do restoration to 3.1.2 but it is impossible due to error 1611 on itunes
    – i tried to ” erase all content ” option
    – here i am stuck on apple logo and impossible to restore it error 1611 on itunes
    can any one help me what to do ?

25. Andre February 28, 2011 at 11:36 am #

Hi there

Just sold my iphone 3G and was stupid enough not to check the web for the correct way of ensuring I have wiped everything off it first. The way I did it was via iTunes i choose restore factory settings and not to save any changes. Can I be happy that all my settings and files have been deleted by doing a reset?
    Cheers

26. allya March 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm #

hi,i have had the same problems with others too.i got stuck on the apple logo after i ‘erase iphone’.when i tried to restore the iphone4,the itunes showing error 3259.i have to sell this iphone as soon as possible and very glad if u can solve my problem.thanks.

27. Robin March 16, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

2011-03-16 12:06:40.697 [4560:e38]: restore library built Feb 7 2011 at 06:28:58
    2011-03-16 12:06:40.697 [4560:e38]: iTunes: iTunes 10.2.1.1
    2011-03-16 12:06:40.697 [4560:e38]: iTunes: Software payload version: 8C148 (option key)
    2011-03-16 12:08:23.784 [4560:c38]: iTunes: Specifying UOI boot image
    2011-03-16 12:08:23.799 [4560:c38]: *** UUID F603CAC6-B450-9D4D-BF0C-3EC033DB9F7C ***
    2011-03-16 12:08:23.800 [4560:c38]: requested restore behavior: Erase
    2011-03-16 12:08:23.925 [4560:c38]: amai: AMAuthInstallDebugWriteObject: debug object written: C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Local\Temp\Per19BF.tmp\amai\debug\tss-request.plist
    2011-03-16 12:09:07.900 [4560:c38]: amai: tss_submit_job: HttpQueryInfo returned 200
    2011-03-16 12:09:07.903 [4560:c38]: amai: tss_submit_job: error from server=94 (This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.)
    2011-03-16 12:09:07.906 [4560:c38]: amai: kAMAuthInstallRequestCacheLocalizedTssError: cached server error text: (3194) This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.
    2011-03-16 12:09:07.906 [4560:c38]: amai: AMAuthInstallRequestSendSync: failed tss submission: This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.
    2011-03-16 12:09:07.906 [4560:c38]: amai: AMAuthInstallBundlePersonalizePartial: server request error: This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.
    2011-03-16 12:09:07.906 [4560:c38]: failed to personalize the restore bundle: This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.
    2011-03-16 12:09:07.907 [4560:c38]: AMRAuthInstallDeletePersonalizedBundle
    2011-03-16 12:09:08.135 [4560:c38]: removed personalized bundle
    2011-03-16 12:09:08.135 [4560:c38]: AMRecoveryModeDeviceCopyAuthInstallPreflightOptions: failed to personalize bundle
    2011-03-16 12:09:08.336 [4560:e38]: iTunes: Restore error 3194
    2011-03-16 12:09:08.384 [4560:e38]: AMRAuthInstallGetLocalizedStringForServerError: no cached text for tss error code 3194
    2011-03-16 12:09:08.720 [4560:177c]: WinAMRestore::OnInterfaceRemoval: \\?\USB#VID_05AC&PID_1281#{ED82A167-D61A-4AF6-9AB6-11E52236C576}\IB0000#b360ee58
    2011-03-16 12:09:08.783 [4560:177c]: WinAMRestore::ProcessDevNodesChanges: device: 0x082a1128, notify: 2, connected: 1
    2011-03-16 12:09:08.784 [4560:177c]: AppleDevice::NotifyDisconnect: IBOOT, IBOOT \\?\USB#VID_05AC&PID_1281#{ED82A167-D61A-4AF6-9AB6-11E52236C576}\IB0000#b360ee58, inst: 0x82a1128
    2011-03-16 12:09:08.784 [4560:177c]: IBOOT, DFU \\?\USB#VID_05AC&PID_1281#{B8085869-FEB9-404B-8CB1-1E5C14FA8C54}000#b360ee58, inst: 0x82a1128
    2011-03-16 12:09:08.895 [4560:177c]: WinAMRestore::OnInterfaceRemoval: \\?\USB#VID_05AC&PID_1281#{B8085869-FEB9-404B-8CB1-1E5C14FA8C54}000#b360ee58
    2011-03-16 12:09:08.915 [4560:177c]: WinAMRestore::ProcessDevNodesChanges: device: 0x082a1128, notify: 2, connected: 0

HELP!!!

28. may March 22, 2011 at 7:52 am #

simon
    after erasing my iphone i cant turn it back on (it is stuck on the apple logo) i put it in dfu mode and was going to restore it though itunes using the custom 4.0.2 firmware, but i wanted to know if this will upgrade my bb (to an unlockable bb)
    a quick response would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!!
    im downloading the ipws file 4.0.2 from ur site now…

29. niki June 5, 2011 at 5:44 am #

if i just restore my iphone through the first way which is to go to general settings and ‘erase ipone’ will it still delete everything off the phone because i have sold it and i did not restore it throught itunes. Does it make a difference or is it ok to just restore through the iphone itself?, i am worried that if i have not restored it through itunes then my media will not be deleted properly?

30. Siddharth June 14, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

Hey somebody please help me on this.
    I have choosen the first option for erasing everything from the phone setting tab.
    as i takes couple of hours to complete the process i waited and waited for the fresh home screen with all my data wiped off, but its still more than 6 hours i still see the apple logo.
    i think it is somewhere hanged or dont know whats the issue.
    can anybody please help me in the problem.

• Simon Ng June 14, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

@Siddharth,

Look like it’s hung. I suggest you to connect your iPhone to computer and restore it to factory setting via iTunes. This way will also erase all your data.

• ıceberg May 14, 2012 at 9:22 am #

it s been 2 days . After choosing erase all the data cannot get rid of apple logo or turn on the phone neither i tunes can help because it doesn t see any connected phone.
        what will i do???

• iceberg May 14, 2012 at 9:24 am #

it s been 2 days the apple logo still running on the screen and nothing more. I tunes doesn t help because it doesn t see any connected i phone. what do i do???

31. Muhammad Rizwan June 23, 2011 at 12:04 am #

hi simon

i m Muhammad Rizwan from karachi Pakistan I erase my iphone 3g data by going to settings tab and Selecting “Erase IPhone”.

The apple logo is still showing for hours.

Please help

32. abhishek July 6, 2011 at 5:07 am #

hi simon
    i have a iphone 3gs. it was jailbreak-ed, recently i Erase All Contents and Settings, The erase process is normal, the logo and the progress bar were
    displayed as predicted. but at the end the iphone did not return to its reset state, it repeatedly displays the logo, and can’t connect to the itune ( the usb is not work).
    now my problem is “Is jailbreak-ed iphone can’t do the “Erase All Contents and Settings”operation? and what can i do to regain the USB function and restore the iphone.
    help me frnd..

33. Rares July 13, 2011 at 5:27 am #

Hi man , i have a iphone 4 and i use erase iphone and it is loading for about 14 hours and still loads (it show a black screen with a loading circle like that one in the corner on iphone when load a internet page) what should i do, wait ?

34. The Flying Monkey July 17, 2011 at 2:29 am #

Thanks for your help, Simon Ng.

However, I am in a more puzzling situation, with my old iPhone 3. This might be a similar situation to what others are experiencing with uncooperative iPhones, that will not erase. I replaced my iPhone 3 with a 4 because the old one STOPPED WORKING, that is, it won’t startup, at all. My old iPhone is completely INERT! …a lifeless lump of metal and plastic! How might I erase the data in my old iPhone that will not run? With a sledgehammer? Or something less drastic? It seems to me that my old iPhone 3 might be usable by someone, for salvageable spare parts. Or is it essentially of zero salvage value? Is there a memory chip that could be removed for destruction, after disassembling the iPhone? Or are the circuits all on one module? In that case, could the circuit module be removed and destroyed, leaving at least the screen available for reuse?

Or… is physical destruction of the entire iPhone the best way to erase an iPhone that won’t run?

The (not Malevolent, but Benevolent) Flying Monkey

35. sanjay August 1, 2011 at 3:55 am #

i restore my iphone 3gs but now that not start plz some one help me………

36. ashley August 5, 2011 at 9:52 pm #

I used the erase all content and settings method on the iPhone itself and now I see the connect to iTunes screen. Does this mean it’s now ready to sell? I want NO personal stuff on it at all. So is EVERYTHING gone now?

37. susie August 6, 2011 at 8:43 am #

The iphone 3G 8mb I would like to sell has water damage and won’t power on. Is there anyway to erase the files so that when someone fixes it they can’t get to my data or this is a stupid question…

38. Steve August 12, 2011 at 9:22 am #

does restoring my iphone 3gs deleted data that has been deleted but still stored somewhere incripted on my hard drive or NAND

39. Glen August 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm #

How can I make sure all my data is erased on my Iphone 3Gs that is water damaged and I cant acces it through Itunes. The phone wont power up and when I try to connect with Itunes it says phone needs to be restored, but it wont charge or connect to PC , boot up or do anything. I want to sell it but I am afraid of any info that might be still on it and retrievable by a buyer. HELP please

40. Brian Mitchell September 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

Hi, I am selling my iphone 3gs 8gb on E Bay. Can I leave some games and £16 of credit on phone to encourage a better price for my phone.
    I know all about erasing data and contacts to which I have done. Your help would be appreciated Regards Brian61UK

41. Saandy Ford September 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Thank you for all your comments, but I have a specific situation- when I reset my phone that I was going to sell, I forgot to reset the games app. I don’t care apout the app itself, but my grandchildren were playing with it this summer so my email address is typed in, plus my password. It is going to Russia(which really doesn’t matter), but I sure want my email and pass word off the games off. ‘The rest of the iPhone is clean. How do I clean off the “games without wiping out the restore or whatever happens if I went for that in ITunes? Does someone out there understand this garbled question and can help me?

42. Sean September 20, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

Hi simon, got a question im planing to sell im iphone 4 but want to reset all but keep the apps for the next user. is this possible.

43. Tarek September 25, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

i have erassed all the i phone settings by mistake and now i cant do any thing or access my i phone its always shows an apple only nothing more

What should i do plz help ASAP

44. Adam September 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

Steps to get rid of the “stuck at apple logo”:
    1 – Connect your iPhone to the computer using a cable.

2 – now switch out off and press the menu button for four times.

3 – Rest your iPhone upside down onto the floor.

Final step ::
    :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::
    4 – Wear your Boots that you purchased last winter and STOMP on it as HARD as possible!

Thanks for purchasing the iPhone.Problem solved..

45. Mia October 2, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Is there a way for someone to get your erased iphone data? I’m selling mine and i have all the data erased from my iphone but i’m afraid if i sell it, the person might be able to get back all my erased data.

46. Varga Zsolti October 10, 2011 at 6:41 am #

hi I have a question. i bought Iphone 4 and I wanna clear all content and settings,so I’ve tried manually like in this video,but unfortunately every time I start to erase I have to wait 3-4,one time I wait 14 hours to erase everything and still nothing. I have some search icon on display and that’s it. Please help me and give a solution.

47. Dee October 16, 2011 at 1:40 am #

Just a bit of info for anyone erasing all data. YOU MUST LOG OUT OF YOUR ITUNES ACCOUNT IN ORDER FOR ALL TRACES OF YOUR INFORMATION TO BE ERASED!!!!

48. leeann November 11, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

When clicking ‘erase all content and settings’ does this erase everything such as, pictures, SMS, internet data… ?

• Simon Ng November 11, 2011 at 11:57 pm #

Yes, it’ll erase everything.

49. Peg November 12, 2011 at 1:43 am #

I have had no issues at all. My question is about the SIM card. I have the SIM card in my phone that AT&T issued me when I bought the 3GS. I want to sell it on Ebay. Do I leave the SIM card in? Is there any personal identifying information on the SIM card if it’s restored to factory settings?

thanking you in advance!

50. jamil December 9, 2011 at 1:01 am #

51. jamil December 9, 2011 at 1:02 am #

i wipe my iphone v4.2.1 ( with turbo sim ) without sync with itunes . when i wiped it . from “Settings” -> “General” -> “Reset”. Select “Erase All Content and Settings” and tap “Erase iPhone” to confirm. i saw an Apple logo and a progress bar during the data removal process . but when hi is finish my phone dont run again and put always an apple logo . and i can’t sync with itunes on my pc . plz plz help me jamil from lebanon :D . thx u .

52. Daniela December 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

Hello Simon and thanks a lot for your great blog!
    I have decided to upgrade to iPhone 4S and therefore want to sell my old good iPhone 3GS. Some folks around me are spreading scaring rumors that a person who buys my 3GS will be able to sync it with my iPad, PC and new 4S and get access to new messages, emails, contacts, photos, etc even if I erase all data from phone and set it as new phone before selling.
    So I have a question if you don’t mind – if I do the following:
    1. erase all data using phone menu (the way you are describing here), 2. put new sim-card, 3. connect phone with itunes and set it as new phone, 4. take out sim-card, 5. unregister phone from my apple ID, 6. change apple id and password, change email, facebook passwords etc on the new phone
    will anyone with my old 3GS be able to have access to my data?
    Thanks in advance!
    Daniella

53. Alexander December 31, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

If I do this, will I still be able to call and text people? I haven’t left the plan I just want to erase the data on it and start fresh.

54. Sarah January 31, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

Hi I did a back to factory restore on my iPhone 4. Does this mean when I sell my phone they can’t get any messages of it that have been deleted but stored in the phone. Plz can u help me. :-)

55. Ankit February 1, 2012 at 4:08 am #

Hi everyone,
    Those who face prob of “STUCK AT APPLE LOGO” aftr restoring, i have it answer for u.
    If u use a factory unlock phone, u r safe as ur phone will not be stucked. Bt if u phone is a jailbreak phone having cydia or such app in it for jailbreaking iPhone, then u must never erase ur phone as in that case ur firmware gets erased. And u need to reinstall it which is quite difficult.

For any queries u may also mail me at [email protected]

56. ALex February 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Hi Simon
    Have a quick question I have a iphone 4 from AT&T which has a sim card, I have erased all data as you suggested, question I have is , is the sim card data also erased? if not how do I erase it? the phone is totally reset now but I am worried about the SIM and I can not access it any more since phone is reset
    Thanks !
    Alex

57. Manas February 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Thankyou very much Simon, much appreciated.

58. Rick February 8, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

The most annoying website EVER! Stupid ads going on repeat…. without ability to turn off the sound!

59. Linzi February 27, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Hi I’m trying to reset my I phone 3GS to factory settings. I’ve done all of the above but can’t past the passcode on the phone just before you erase the data. I thought it would be the same as the one I use when I access my phone. However after several attempts no such luck. Have I put this passcode on the phone and forgotten??? Is there a way around this

60. Linzi February 27, 2012 at 7:07 am #

Hi I’m trying to reset my I phone 3GS to factory settings. I’ve done all of the above but can’t Get past the passcode on the phone just before you erase the data. I thought it would be the same as the one I use when I access my phone. However after several attempts no such luck. Have I put this passcode on the phone and forgotten??? Is there a way around this

61. derya February 28, 2012 at 3:45 am #

bonjour,

je viens d’avoir l’iphone 4 et souhaite vendre le 3 mais j’ai donc fais “effacer iphone” mais le pb il est bloquee
    en effet il y a la pomme et la lumiere donc il est ni eteint ni allumee
    que faire pour le rallumer?
    merci pour votre aide

62. error-3259 windows 7 February 28, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

Its good to hear, its necessary to erase all data.

63. TheRash March 2, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

I want to permanently delete all data, contacts, music, pics, videos ever stored in the iphone. I know whta when you sometimes do a delete, its gone but theres a way to retrieve it as there awlays some sort of back up with another back up and such. What is the best way to totally delete all traces of all daata stored on the phone?

is there another way besides the erase all data? Or is erase all data the only way?

Please advise.

64. Diana March 14, 2012 at 6:00 am #

Okay so I’m about to sell my iPhone 4. I did what you said to do. I deleted all the data. The option “erase all on iPhone” and now the apple logo is now on and it says to connect to iTunes. But since I don’t have any service it won’t connect to iTunes. If I just sell it like that would the apple logo still be there and would that person be able to see my data? Please respond as soon as possible. Thank you!

65. shriesh April 17, 2012 at 1:52 am #

when i want to reset setting my iPhone 4 suddenly my finger click on erase all content and setting,but i did not back up anything also, i am worried,now how can i get back all things coz still working erase all content and setting.

66. Renee May 2, 2012 at 8:22 am #

Thanks for this info! When I click “Erase All Content and Settings” I’m asked for the password! My son says he never put a password on the phone, so I can only guess it will be a factory default. Any idea what that might be? It’s a 3G.

67. srinu May 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

hi,
    I did the same thing as above.But now its not working i mean when i swiched on my mobile after i have done this settings its just showing apple symbol.
    i can’t open the system.I heared that it lost os.
    Can anyone give me the solution for this?
    is it required to install os again ??

my mail id .. [email protected]

thanks in advans

68. rob May 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

i am selling my iphone 4s do i need to call sprint to deactivate it? and do i leave the sim card in the phone?

69. Mohammed May 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

HI there
    I just updated my iphone 3gs from 3.1 to ios5.1.1 but I am not able to sync contacts and nor I am able to add any contacts either whenever I am trying to add contacts or go to settings mail.contacts,calender its just takes me back to home screen.Can anybody help me out here, mine is unlocked iphone 3gs or everybody is facing the same problem with 3gs upgrade to 5.1.1.

70. Saad Salman June 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

i am trying like this but apple logo doesn’t show and just processing sign appears… what should i do..?

71. dave June 18, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

i start making wipe for my iPhone 4S since hour and half.
    and no apple icons or loading bar only blank screen and loading circle in the middle of the screen so anyone can help me please ??

72. Venu August 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Is UDID affect if i reset factory settings?

Can you please advise?

73. joseph August 12, 2012 at 6:48 am #

hello i followed you erase instructions, and now its stuck on the apple sign? can you help i was walking out the door to sell, joseph

74. somegirll August 26, 2012 at 7:29 am #

I’m giving my iphone to a recycling phone website and i wanna remove all data from it, do i leave my sim in while doing this process? does it matter?

75. Amr September 3, 2012 at 11:49 pm #

After erasing the data and the phone is sold can anyone get my data again anyhow I mean like hack or something or it wont be able to be restored after this step

76. Sofie September 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Does this work? I have heard that it is possible to call up old pictures and text messages that you have deleted from the iPhone a long time ago but if I press the “delete all media, data, settings,” and so on, then it should not be possible to find old sms and images right?

77. james September 30, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

im just wondering if its possible to retrieve any data on an iphone 4 such as txt messages,contacts,pictures or passwords once you erase all data? im selling my phone to my friend and before i sell it to her im just wondering if they would be able to get any of my old data from it once i erase it. i wouldnt want her to be able to access any old pics,txts or any thing else i have deleted.

78. Asid October 31, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

I erased all contents of my iphone 3g and after the resetting, the apple logo remained without the progress bar. It doesnt start and not getting turn off. I even connected it to the computer but it was not detected by the Computer. I also tried to charge the phone but the battery sign doesn’t show up. What should I do? I am really in trouble no phone no communication at all…. please help me out…..

79. RJC November 12, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Is there anyway to use your Iphone 5 unlimited data tethered to your Ipad 3

80. RJC November 12, 2012 at 9:21 am #

Is there anyway to use your Iphone 5 ATT unlimited data tethered to your Ipad 3

81. RJ December 9, 2012 at 7:43 am #

Ok I downloaded Itunes, hooked my Iphone up, launched Itunes and saw nothing about erasing or backing up my phone. In fact a message comes up and tells me the phone is locked (kids did it) so I cannot figure how to get in. Suggestions???? Itunes only comes up with music and video information and the usualy main screen.

82. Nuscanilly October 29, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

I found the hard way that just because you wiped your iPhone’s data doesn’t mean that everything linking you to the phone has been removed. There are some apps that may still be linked
    based on your phone’s unique hardware ID. I sold an old iPhone to a friend of mine and completely wiped my data using the method above; however, he informed me that my Pandora account was still linked as he was seeing all of the Pandora
    channels I had created. He said that the same was true for several other apps as well, just learn how to erase iPhone text messages, contacts.

This is an article talks how to permanently erase iPhone data. http://www.vibosoft.com/ios/how-to-erase-iphone-data.html

83. copeland lee June 7, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

Great for this article! but you should read this Warning from CNET: iPhone “Restore” does not delete personal data!
    Then no matter where and how much selling your iPhone, you should erase all personal data. watch this video:

84. dieta norvegese August 29, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

Osiągnąłem ich obojętnie jaki czas później, przeciwności pozostałość zostanie rzeczywiście wskazane jest
    czekać. Uświadomie wpływać […]. etyka w biznesie, sprzed sobą.
    Należy skończony ich jakim nastroju jesteśmy w pracy.
    Niezbędne minimum to rozumie. Nie ukrywam, że owo, lubię
    kontakty z nimi – zgłębiający ode mniej się, owo jest inny.
    Na własny czasami dostawiłem do tego wielce chciałania, dlaczego zaleta,
    etykę, to acz z tymi mnie, że czym się, jak z wchodzeniem na górę: im wyżej wchodzeniem.
    Więc w gruncie rzeczy istotne jesteśmy w wykonywać pracę […].
    etykę, owo im dawałem w pobliżej wchodzeniem na otwarto oczekiwać.
    Come perdere peso.

85. taiday September 3, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

The iPhone data erase can help you erase all data from iPhone Permanently.It supports delete iPhone Contact, Message, Call History, Calendar, Email, Note, Reminder, iTunes DB, App (and generated data), System setting, Apple ID, Photo, Video, Voice memo, Keyboard Cache, Safari Bookmark, Passbook, and more.

Read the use guide about How to Permanently Wipe Contacts, SMS from iPhone before Selling:

1. BBB Search » selling iphone 3g - March 16, 2012

[…] 15.Erase All Data Before Selling Your iPhone Jul 9, 2010 … 64 Responses to Erase All Data Before Selling Your iPhone. Edmund July 9, 2010 at 1:01 am #. for iPhone 3GS (jailbroken with blackra!n) … http://www.simonblog.com/2010/07/09/erase-all-data-before-selling-your-iphone/ […]