Emoji icons are picture characters that are very popular in Japan for text messaging. Nearly all mobile phones in Japan have Emoji icons built-in. Since the release of firmware 2.2 in late 2008, Apple has brought Emoji icons to iPhone. However, it is for iPhone users using Softbank network in Japan only.
I enjoy using the Emoji feature since then. After I upgrade my iPhone 3GS to iOS 4, however, this feature is gone even I restore my data back using iTunes. Anyways, it is a good time to revisit the trick to re-enable the feature.
For those who want to use Emoji icons on iPhone, simply follow the step-by-step procedures:
1. Launch App Store and search for “Emoji Free“. It is a free app that enables emoji icons on your device. Simply install it.
2. After installation, launch it and click the “ok, lets do this!” button to proceed.
3. The process only takes a few seconds. After that, your iPhone is allowed to use Emoji icon.
4. Click HOME button to go back to home screen. Tap “Settings” -> “General” -> “Keyboard” -> “International Keyboards” -> “Add New Keyboard…”. Tap on “Emoji”.
5. You should notice a new Emoji keyboard installed after it goes back to the previous screen.
That’s it. You can then launch any iPhone app (say, Notes) to try out the feature. To switch between different keyboards, you can tap on the “globe” button.
Tip: In case it doesn’t work, restart your iPhone and try again.
What do you think about the Emoji feature? If you like it, make sure you tell your friends to enable this feature. Otherwise, he/she will not be able to view the icons. As usual, leave me comment if you have any questions.