How To Check iPhone 3GS Bootrom Version

After I published the post about PwnageTool for iOS4 jailbreak, one frequently-asked question that has been raised by many readers is:

How can I check the bootrom version of my iPhone 3GS? How does I know it’s an old or new bootrom?

For those who do not read the article about PwnageTool, you may wonder why we need to know the bootrom version. As of now, the PwnageTool is only applicable on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom. The old bootrom is indicated by a version number of iBoot-359.3, while the new bootrom is with iBoot-359.3.2. So if you are using iPhone 3GS, before jailbreaking iOS4 with PwnageTool, the very first step is to determine whether your iPhone is using the old or new bootrom.

To check the bootrom version, you can follow these step-by-step procedures:

For Windows User

1. First, put your iPhone in DFU mode.

(i) To put your iPhone into DFU mode, first connect your iPhone to computer (via USB cable)
(ii) Next, power off your iPhone.
(iii) Next, press and hold both POWER and HOME button for exactly 10 seconds.
(iv) Then release the POWER button and continue to hold the HOME button for 10 more seconds.
(v) At this point, your iPhone should remain blank and your computer should detect a device in DFU mode. If your iPhone shows “Connect to iTunes” screen, you have put it into recovery mode instead of DFU. Please go through the steps again.

2. After your iPhone is in DFU mode, open “Control Panel” -> “Hardware and Sound” -> “Device Manager”.

Control Panel - Hardware and Sound

3. Navigate to “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” and select “Apple Mobile Device USB Driver”.

4. Right click on “Apple Mobile Device USB Driver” and click “Properties”.

5. Click “Details” and select “Device Instance Path” for the “Property” field

You can reveal the bootrom version from the “Value” field. For the above screen, the bootrom version is iBoot-359.3. That means the iPhone 3GS uses an old bootrom.

For Mac OS User

1. First, put your iPhone in DFU mode.

(ii) Next, power off your iPhone.
(iii) Next, press and hold both POWER and HOME button for exactly 10 seconds.

2. After your iPhone is in DFU mode, open “Applications” -> “Utilities” -> “System Profiler” on your Mac.

3. In “Contents”, select “USB” under “Hardware” section.

4. Navigate the USB device tree, you should find “Apple Mobile Device (DFU mode)”. Click on it and you can find the bootrom version under “Serial number”.

For the above screen, the bootrom version is iBoot-359.3, which represents an old bootrom. In casae your iPhone uses a new bootrom, it should show iBoot-359.3.2.

After you check the bootrom version, you can simply press and hold both HOME & POWER button for a few second (until you see the Apple logo) to bring your iPhone back to normal.

Can you manage to check the bootrom version of your iPhone 3GS? If you have any questions, simply leave me comment below. I will try my best to help.

Update: For those using Windows XP, you may not be able to find the “Device Instance Path” property. In this case, you can download USBView to discover your bootrom version. After launching USBview, locate “Apple recovery (DFU) USB driver”. Then click on “Options” and select “Config Descriptors”. Next, click “File” -> “Refresh” and you should be able to view the bootrom version under “SerialNumber” field.

, , , , , ,

26 Responses to How To Check iPhone 3GS Bootrom Version

1. Randy June 28, 2010 at 4:54 am #

I followed the steps, and properly started in DFU mode. However, when I started Device Manager and went to Details, there is no “Device Instance Path” only “Device Instance Id.” I am in Windows XP Pro.

• Charles June 28, 2010 at 9:06 am #

yes have the same prob anyone who can help us?

• Simon Ng June 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm #

@Charles,

You can use USBView to view the bootrom version on Windows XP. I have updated the guide. You can check it above.

• Charles June 29, 2010 at 6:50 am #

Hi i’m a little bit newbie but where do I go to usb view

• Charles June 29, 2010 at 7:18 am #

I’ve dwnl the usbview but still when I click on the apple thing i don’t get the iboot

• Simon Ng June 28, 2010 at 3:11 pm #

@Randy,

2. Maynor June 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm #

Hi Simon, I can’t see the iBoot, I’m using the UBS view, I managed to see the iphone in DFU in the program but it doesn’t show the iBoot, I’m working with XP SP3.

3. Maynor June 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm #

• Charles June 29, 2010 at 7:19 am #

same here

• Simon Ng June 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

@Charles,

In USBview, click on Options and select “Config Descriptors”. Then click “File” -> “Refresh”. This should work for you.

• Simon Ng June 29, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

@Maynor,

In USBview, click “Options” and select “Config Descriptors”. Then click “File” -> “Refresh”. You should then view the bootrom version.

• Charles June 29, 2010 at 6:26 pm #

thnx simon it worked for me

4. Cindy July 1, 2010 at 12:45 am #

Helllo Simon, I have a 3gs on windows xp trying to figure out if i can jailbreak. when i installed USBview i only see this driver Apple Mobile Device USB driver- and when i refresh and show config under serial number all isee is a long serial number.

5. Liz July 6, 2010 at 11:58 am #

worked well thanks! i use a mac and could still see the bootrom even though itunes said it was in recovery mode

6. Bartolo July 9, 2010 at 4:08 am #

Hey, thanks for the info!
    One piece of advice, it’s important to make sure no SIM CARD is installed to be able to watch the iBoot version on the USB View.
    I spent a long time to figure this out.
    Thanks!

7. ramesh July 25, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

Hi Simon, i have new iPhone 3GS IOS4. i tried to look for iBoot version even with USB viewer and with DFU mode(the opther option).but it is not showing the version. can you help me here?

8. Satyam July 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm #

Thanks a lot,, i’ve been trying to know my 3gs bootrom version since few days but all guide that i’ve found on internet was not so explicit and i couldnt get to know the boot. i used XP and USBview, your guide about using USBView was a perfect guide,,
    thanks

Regards,
    satyam

9. Nitin R December 6, 2010 at 11:51 am #

Simon, you are the man.. Thanks so much..I had windows XP and was facing the issue where I wasn’t able to determine my bootrom version for iphone 3GS . Now I know that I have an old bootrom .yoyoyo…

10. Chel November 4, 2011 at 11:18 pm #

Thank you so much Simon. I detector didn’t work and I was trying to figure out which bootrom I had.

11. Prateek February 28, 2012 at 2:52 am #

Thanks Simon. USBView helped.

Thanks,
    Prateek

1. PwnageTool 4.01 Available to Jailbreak iOS 4 - iPad – Technology Insured Future - June 30, 2010

[...] To determine whether your iPhone 3GS is using the old or new bootrom, you can check out this post for [...]

2. iOS 4 Jailbreak Guide for iPhone 3G & 3GS using PwnageTool « Rosiechenzy's Blog - July 6, 2010

[...] You can use this guide to jailbreak iPhone 3GS. But it only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom. If you are using newer version of bootrom or you haven’t jailbroken your iPhone 3GS before, the tool is not for you. To determine the bootrom version, you can further check out this how-to article. [...]

3. iOS 4 Jailbreak Guide for iPhone 3G & 3GS using PwnageTool | How To Buy Tech Insurance - July 6, 2010

4. iOS 4 Jailbreak Guide for iPhone 3G & 3GS using PwnageTool - iPad – Technology Insured Future - July 6, 2010

5. iOS 4 Jailbreak Guide for iPhone 3G & 3GS using PwnageTool « Geejenkins's Blog - July 7, 2010

6. iOS 4 Jailbreak Guide for iPhone 3G & 3GS using PwnageTool | Best Ways To Pimp Your Apple iTouch - July 20, 2010