How To Download Free iPhone Apps from Japan App Store

Shortly after I posted the demo video of Taikono Tatsujin, a great Japanese game for both iPhone and iPad, I received a number of questions in my email box:

Is the game free?

How can I download it? The game is only available in Japan App Store.

Any way to register an iTunes account for Japan App Store to download the game? I do not have a credit card from Japan.

Okay, first thing first. The game is free for both iPhone and iPad. So, it comes to the second and third questions. As you know, App Store is not universal. Apple organizes the App Store by country and your iTunes account is associated with a specific App Store. Say, by using an U.S. iTunes account, you can only access the U.S. App Store.

In this case, to download the game or other applications in Japan App Store, you need to have the corresponding iTunes account registered under the Japan App Store. However, if you are not from Japan, you probably do not own a Japan credit card. Apparently, you need a credit card to register an iTunes account. In reality, Apple offers you an option to create an iTunes account without credit card.

About a year ago, I wrote a guide to show you how to register an iTunes account without the need of a credit card. The guide is written particularly for US app store. But, it also applies to Japan App Store (or store in other countries).

To download the “Taikono Tatsujin” game, simply hit this iTunes link. Then follow step 4-12 of this guide to register the Japanese iTunes account and download the game.

Does it work for you? Leave us comment if you experience any problem.

, , , , , ,

18 Responses to How To Download Free iPhone Apps from Japan App Store

1. cecileva June 4, 2010 at 5:51 am #

Worked great, now I’ve got to figure out if I’m playing correctly, seeing as how I don’t understand Japanese :-) Thanks for the tip

2. kool September 16, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

very useful and informative post! thumbs up!!

3. Luke September 20, 2010 at 11:45 am #

Great post, thanks for the information!

4. Rex October 27, 2010 at 7:35 pm #

I can’t use this method, now JP store don’t have an option “none” for credit card that blank.

Jp apple store have changed this area??? !?

5. Betty November 20, 2010 at 1:15 am #

what should i fill in for the address???

THX~

• Simon Ng November 21, 2010 at 10:40 am #

Any valid Japanese address.

6. jonas December 11, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

They really have done a good job promoting iphone in japan to make it such a success!

7. Fu00Fu December 14, 2010 at 2:12 am #

I Love you man

You saved my day

god bliss you thank you thank you T_______________T

8. movies January 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Wow a cool method indeed!

9. junnie January 19, 2011 at 11:35 am #

hi i am not really sure how to fill in a japan address..any examples?

10. NAT February 11, 2011 at 1:07 am #

You can buy Japan iTunes prepaid cards from http://www.japan-codes.com
    It’s an online store that sells gift cards, game cards from Japan.

• Maru March 2, 2011 at 6:27 am #

These cards can be used to buy apps from the App store too?

11. Toni November 5, 2011 at 5:51 am #

I see in the picture that you are on an iPad( which is what I have). When I go to the iTunes app on my iPad and try to follow the steps, it doesn’t work. So I tried to make a separate account and I wasn’t allowed to not add a payment method.. Any ideas?

12. kaze May 12, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

Hi

I’m from SG and i managed to download free Jap itunes app based on the above steps. But i can’t transfer them to my iphone! Help T_T

13. kaze May 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm #

I managed to sync them! I’m fine now! Sorry to trouble you.

14. zealpal February 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

Title:- Fishing Island

Description:-Fishing Island is Nice Boating Game
    * Just make a path to Fishing camp for boats using your tap on screen.

* After reach in Fishing camp just wait sometimes for loading fishes.

* After loading, make a another path for get out from Fishing camp.

* Don’t try to make accident with another boats.

* You will get a red symbol for which direction the boats are coming.

* After finished each level you’ll play next level.

Download URL:-https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/fishing-island/id589416135?mt=8

Promo Code:-589416135

1. Download Free Games from Japanese App Store | The iPhone Guru - June 5, 2010

[...] my newest fixation, Taikono Tatsujin. Unfortunately, the App Store is not universal, Apple has organized the App Store by country and if you live in the US your iTunes account is by defualt [...]

2. Download Free Games from Japanese App Store | The iPad Guru - June 5, 2010