The Apple’s keyboard dock is a great companion for your iPad when you need to type a lengthy email. For some of the causal users, with the addition of a real keyboard, the iPad can probably replace your laptop to do something more serious. Say, use it for word processing and prepare a presentation. However, there is still one thing missing to make the iPad as a perfect replacement of laptop – the mouse.
As demonstrated by RedmondPie, you can pair a jailbroken iPad with bluetooth mouse via a cydia hack named “BTStack Mouse”. I also tested out this interesting hack and it works great with my Magic mouse.
Here is how you can configure your bluetooth mouse with iPad. If you own a jailbroken iPhone, this hack should also work for you.
1. First, make sure your iPad is jailbroken via Spirit. If not, you can check out this step-by-step guide to jailbreak your iPad.
2. On your iPad, launch cydia.
3. Tap “Search” and search for “BTStack Mouse”.
4. Tap on “BTstack Mouse” and tap “Confirm” to install
5. Once installed, locate the “Mouse” icon on the home screen. Launch the app.
Tip: Before launching the “Mouse” app, please turn off the Bluetooth. To disable bluetooth, you can go to Settings -> General -> Bluetooth and turn the switch to OFF.
6. When launched, the app automatically search for any bluetooth device. Make sure your mouse is in discovery mode. If you are pairing with Apple’s Magic mouse, you need to switch it off and then turn it on again to put it into discovery mode.
7. After the “Mouse” app discovers your mouse, tap on it to connect. You should then notice a mouse pointer on screen and now you can control the iPad via your mouse.
The mouse app is run in background. So, when you go back to home screen and launch other applications. You can still use your mouse for point-and-click. To disable the bluetooth mouse, simply launch the “Mouse” app again and click the “Discontinue” button.
I have only tested the hack with my Magic mouse. If you have also tried out the hack with your bluetooth mouse, remember to write back and let us know whether it works for you or not.