Untethered Jailbreak Guide for iPhone 3.1.3 Using Spirit

As reported yesterday, an iPhone hacker has released an untethered jailbreak solution called Spirit for all models of iPhone running OS 3.1.3. I have tried out the tool and it is the simplest jailbreak tool ever. The one-click jailbreak process is quick and very straightforward.

To let you have an idea about jailbreaking via Spirit, here is the jailbreak guide that walks you through the whole process. As usual, before you consider jailbreaking your iPhone, remember to read the requirements carefully. If you have anything unclear, just leave your question in the comment.

First and foremost, Spirit is NOT an unlock tool. If you are looking for unlock solution on 3.1.3, this is not for you. Spirit is just a tool that lets you jailbreak (untethered) your iPhone and with cydia installed. For those who are still confused by the term “jailbreak” and “unlock”, check out this post that explains clearly the difference.

Prerequisite

• Make sure you are using iTunes 9.0 or up
  • You should be using either iPhone OS 3.1.2. or 3.1.3. For those using iPhone 3G/3GS and needs to stay unlocked, please remember NOT to upgrade to iPhone OS 3.1.3.
  • Your iPhone should be activated before using Spirit. That means, it should not be in the emergency screen or connect to iTunes screen

How to Jailbreak iPhone Using Spirit

Before you kick off the jailbreak process, remember to sync your iPhone with iTunes to backup all your data.

1. Download Spirit jailbreak tool from here and extract the zip file

2. Click the Spirit icon to launch the application

3. Once the Spirit tool is launched, plug into your iPhone via USB and the tool detects your current iPhone OS version. To kick off the jailbreak process, simply click the “Jailbreak” button.

4. That’s it. Your iPhone will be restarted and goes through the Spirit jailbreak process.

5. Once completed, your iPhone is jailbroken with cydia installed.

If you have jailbroken your iPhone using Spirit, remember to leave us comment and share your jailbreak experience. It would be very useful for other readers.

Disclaimer: Please note that Jailbreaking may void your warranty. And the above procedures are only tested using my iPhone and for your reference only. Please use it at your own risk.

, , , ,

93 Responses to Untethered Jailbreak Guide for iPhone 3.1.3 Using Spirit

1. mendoukusai May 5, 2010 at 3:02 am #

How do you activate the iphone first? I usually just use redsnow to do everything in one go.

2. Umar May 5, 2010 at 3:55 am #

Thumb up for your (almost) daily posts. Every letter and symbol always seem important to me.
    Love you, man

• Simon Ng May 6, 2010 at 1:15 am #

@Umar,

Thanks for your support!

3. Alicia May 5, 2010 at 4:31 am #

I used Spirit yesterday without any problems on my 3GS 3.1.3. It was the EASIEST and FASTEST jailbreak method I’ve seen! I hears that you should perform a backup within iTunes prior to jailbreaking, as some people reported that their Camera Roll got deleted. I backed up and didn’t need to use it. After installing Spirit, my phone was loaded with the Cydia icon and I installed Font Swap, Fake Carrier, Categories, MyWi and then themes and widgets! I missed my jailbreak on my original iPhone. So happy I can use it on my new 3GS! Back up first then download Spirit. Have fun!

4. Victor T. May 5, 2010 at 5:06 am #

Simon I have a question, i am running a 3GS 3.1.2 iphone which is unlocked by blacksn0w. can i use Spririt to untether my iphone?

5. Dennis May 5, 2010 at 11:07 am #

Hey Simon,

I’m now using iPhone 2G with OS 3.1.2 – Jailbroken and Unlocked.

Now the question is, can I use this Spirit to upgrade to OS 3.1.3?

Thanks :)

–Dennis

6. Alex May 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

I have an iPhone 3GS,3.1.2, JB blackra!n, Firmware 05.11.07. Can I upgrade to 3.1.3 and still jailbreak it with Spirit? (I dont want to unlock). Also I read Spirit doesnt support hactivation. I have installous on my iPhone. Can i still install it thru Cydia after JB ?

Thanks in advance..

7. justin May 5, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

works 100% perfect on my 3Gs with the new bootrom. very happy indeed!!

• kris May 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm #

Hi Justin,

Happy to hear from you. I tryed to do this but the screen is loading for 7-8 hrs so i restored it back … Please give me any suggestion. Do you jailbreak with windows or MAC??? Here iam using MAC.

Krish

8. venki May 5, 2010 at 8:40 pm #

Its strucks after the step 4. Its not at all rebboting. I tryed to restart buts its not happening. why is there mistake is done by me?

Tx
    Kris

9. KING Ayub May 6, 2010 at 3:25 am #

ITs Working Like a charm On My Iphone 3g

Thanks Simon

10. Rainrose May 6, 2010 at 4:29 am #

THE BEST! Big thanks to the creator of this jailbreak and thanks Simon for the info and instructions. :D

11. ALEX May 6, 2010 at 11:43 pm #

Hi…
    Spirit Rocks… My phone is free again…from the tetherings….
    Thanks Simon for the blog …. Good work..keep it up ..
    God Bless

12. Joe May 7, 2010 at 1:10 am #

Currently using 3G 3.0 (Jailbroken) Using Spirit, do I need to upgrade to 3.1.3 first. Is there any problem with the new baseband.. Thanks

• Simon Ng May 8, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

@Joe,

If you are using an unlocked iPhone 3G, please don’t upgrade to 3.1.3 as this will make your iPhone unlockable. I suggest you to upgrade to iPhone 3.1.2 instead. You can use blackra1n to jailbreak it. Here is the guide.

13. Si May 7, 2010 at 3:42 am #

Thanks for the great Blog Simon! :-)

Cant seem to get Spirit to work on my 3Gs os 3.1.3. Phone screen says restore in progress, spirit says ‘jailbreaking’ sits like this for ages. How long should it take? I quit Spirit while it was running and the iphone just restarted itself and carried on as normal. Any suggestions??

• kris May 7, 2010 at 3:51 am #

Hi Si,,,,

I am alos facing the same issue.. Its just showing the screen for whole night and its not restarting… so again i restore my old version and iam using it as ipod :(

Let me know if you find any thing else…

Tx
      kris

• Mr Buttershis May 9, 2010 at 8:03 pm #

kris, si and venki. I also had that very same issue using a mac to jailbreak. Twice I had bricked the damn thing restoring to default however third time I tried it worked. I don’t know how much difference it made but when the phone started rebooting it syncs with Itunes, I canceled this process and it all worked as planned.

• Simon Barnett May 19, 2010 at 5:21 am #

I Have done it!
          Spirit worked on my G5 mac and my 3gs is jailbroken.
          Here is what I did.
          1 Restart the mac in safe mode by holding down the shift key.
          2 Connect the iPhone
          3 Manually launch iTunes to back up the phone-Leave it running.
          4 Launch Spirit and click unlock. The unlock is very fast-3-4 seconds. The phone shows Restore in progress, Restore complete, and then the Spirit Screen for about a minute.
          The phone then restarts and the job is done.

Hope this helps someone,

Si.

• Amit Sharma May 19, 2010 at 7:51 pm #

so that means you have unlocked your iphone 3gs 3.1.3???
            Can u unlock with Spirit?? Can we do this on windows 7??
            Please help.

Amit Sharma

14. Vishal May 8, 2010 at 9:29 pm #

I used spirit to jailbreak my 3GS 3.1.3….. and i was amazed at the how easy and fast it was.
    Great work..

15. Jordan May 8, 2010 at 11:30 pm #

im sort of new to all this, ive already jailbroken and run the program, but how do i get free games.

16. Zaman May 8, 2010 at 11:47 pm #

I keep reading your blogs and latest news about iphone everyday. thanks for ur support.
    i am using 16gb 3gs phone version 3.1.3. When i brought it first time as per instruction i have connected it to itunes and iphone was automatically unlocked.

Now i want to jailbreak it….HOW?
    i installed FORECAST v1.1 in PC to check status and found in screen as:

jailbreakabke?: Only if SHSH is saved.
    Unlockable?: NO
    Tethered?: Maybe – Depends if Refurb

So please guide me what do i do nxt? Should i proceed with SPIRIT?

my email: [email protected]

• Simon Ng May 9, 2010 at 1:09 am #

@Zaman,

F0recast is not update-to-date. Your iPhone 3gs can be jailbroken via Spirit.

17. Zaman May 11, 2010 at 1:22 am #

@Simon dude,

Thankks Man. wonderful one. Fantastic work. i am amazed, it took just a few seconds to JAILBREAK. wooww. cool… yaaa hooo

everything is working fine. i will be in touch with u and ur blog too..
    thanks agian man

18. Wayne May 12, 2010 at 1:56 am #

Thanks Simon for this great write up!
    Spirit worked for my 16g 3gs that was at 3.1.3 with firmware 05.12.01
    I just opened up spirite on my computer that is running winxp and just
    followed the screen in spirit..
    1)just opened up spirit and iPhone not hooked up yet
    2)spirit then said “Please connect device”.
    3)then at the bottom it said “Ready: iPhone 3GS (3.1.3)connected”
    4) Then just click on the “Jailbreak” Button and with in 2 minutes tops it was done and then I looked at my iPhone and all my app’s were all there and it had “Cydia” installed……

Thanks to all the people who made this program, As now I can use my iPhone the way it should be :)

19. Zaman May 13, 2010 at 2:20 am #

As discussed above comments, i have jailbreaked my 3gs 3.1.3 through our app “SPIRIT”. thanks
    Can u help me out how do i install *.ipa application files to my iphone.????

20. ray May 13, 2010 at 2:51 am #

hi simon,

i accidentally updated my iphone to 3.1.3 and now i can’t use the phone anymore. i jailbroke it with spirit, but i have another problem i can’t sync my phone with itunes. it says that i don’t have a sim card (which i do).

can you help me figure out how to use ipod so i can sync. thanks

21. mike May 13, 2010 at 10:00 am #

When I plug in my ipod and run spirit, the button just sits there unpushable, and it says “please connect device” what do i do?

22. Felipe May 14, 2010 at 10:58 pm #

I have successfully jailbreak my 3GS 3.1.3 MC Iphone with 05.12.01 modem firmware using Spirit. Now I need to unlock the phone. Is there a tool that I can use to do this? Thanks!

• Simon Ng May 15, 2010 at 1:18 am #

@Felipe,

No unlock solution is available right now for 05.12.01 baseband. Need to wait for a while.

23. amit sharma May 15, 2010 at 6:53 pm #

hey… i have an iphone 3gs firmware 3.1.3 but i am not sure about the bootrom version. Can spirit jailbreak my phone???
    please help..

Thanks,
    Amit

24. Joseph May 18, 2010 at 1:19 am #

I have a iPhone 3G 16GB, ver 3.0 brought in Hong Kong, baseband 04.26.08. It has been JailBreaked using redsnOw. There is no unlocking needed. Will there any problem to upgrade to 3.13 and use Spirit to JailBreak it.

• Simon Ng May 19, 2010 at 12:29 am #

@Joseph,

No problem. The iPhone available in Hong Kong is factory-unlocked. So, even you upgrade to 3.1.3, it is still unlocked by default.

25. Realstrong May 18, 2010 at 3:07 am #

Yo Simon,

Spirit is a wonderful thing! Very very easy to jailbreak! I finally was able to upgrade from OS2.1 to 3.13…. i love it.

But 1 question, spirit only puts Cydia on my phone, how do i get installer back onto my phone? Or is installer discontinued?

• @realstrong May 18, 2010 at 9:27 am #

no, cydia is now the replacement for installer. another good one is rock; it can be downloaded through cydia and offers 10 day paid app trials and backups of cydia/rock apps

26. Amit Sharma May 18, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

Please Help

I have an Iphone 3gs 16GB. Firmware is 3.1.3 iboot 359.3
    Can i jailbreak it using spirit??
    Please help as i am not able to use my phone. Also please suggest how can i get it unlocked?

Amit
    India

• Simon Ng May 19, 2010 at 12:25 am #

@Amit,

You can jailbreak it using Spirit. However, as mentioned, you can’t unlock iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3.

27. Amit May 19, 2010 at 2:26 am #

thanks for the advise simon… but there is one more problem… my iphone 3gs shows the connect to itunes screen… it has never been jailbroken earlier… so i think i should also avoid jailbreaking it… please suggest

28. ms May 19, 2010 at 10:56 am #

man u guys rock this worx …. love u loads

29. Tombo May 21, 2010 at 5:53 am #

Awesome guide, very helpful, was a bit worried when i clicked the jailbreak button, but everything has gone successfully, really pleased! love ya! x

30. sim May 23, 2010 at 2:23 am #

After the iPhone is jailbreaked, is it safe to hit restore settings in iTunes to restore all contact info etc? Or have to do everything fresh again? Thanks!

31. Adil May 25, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

Hi guys!

I am bit of a newbie to iphones and have a factory unlocked iphone 3gs 3.1.3!
    Model : MC 131B
    Modem Firmware: 05.12.01
    New Bootroom: 359.3.2

1. Can i Jailbreak my iphone using spirit? Will it be a theethered or non-theethered jailbreak?

2. Say if i can jailbreak and i want to un jailbreak it. How can i do that?

3. Does jailbreaking effect iphone performance (signal, wifi, sound etc related)

Thanks in advance!

Baig

• Simon Ng May 25, 2010 at 9:57 pm #

@Adil

1. Yes, you can jailbreak iPhone 3GS using Spirit. It’s tethered jailbreak as mentioned in the post.
      2. Simply restore your iPhone via iTunes
      3. From my experience, everything works fine. But a few reported WiFi issues.

32. Adil May 25, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

Dear Simon,

Could you please clarify the questions in the above post! Itching to jailbreak my 3gs?
    Just waiting for ur feedback!

Thanks!

Adil

33. ann May 25, 2010 at 11:30 pm #

simon, im trying to jailbreak my iphone 3G, now my fone just shows the screen on step 4, im trying to restore it using itunes, been doing it for an hour what do i do?
    thanks

34. Adil May 26, 2010 at 1:20 am #

Ann, it did datwhn i jailbroke it too.simply hold down power and menu key for 10 secs and it will restart

35. Adil May 26, 2010 at 1:24 am #

Thnx simon.finally jailbroke my 3gs.its working like a charm :)

36. venkat May 27, 2010 at 12:19 am #

At last i try with windows mechine. it works. Thanks alot. Is there any unlocking soultion for 3.1.3 3gs???

Tx
    Venkat

• Simon Ng May 27, 2010 at 12:50 am #

@venkat,

That’s great! But there is still no solution for unlocking iPhone 3GS running OS 3.1.3.

37. venkat May 27, 2010 at 1:07 am #

When iam running Cydia its showing this from long time “reorganizing will automatically close when done”

What is this error is???

tx
    Venkat

38. Faracon May 27, 2010 at 8:21 am #

I successfully Jail break my Iphone 3GS today using spirit. Took about two minutes. I was running 3.1.3 and bottom 05.12.01. everything went fine no problems. I installed from windows vista and run spirit in compatible mode for win 98 and me. then launch the program as admin. was so quick i didnt realise it was finished

39. mehboob May 29, 2010 at 12:16 am #

hi! I used just few mnt ago, it shown jail brk 3:1.3 succ but its not working othr sim, plz help me

40. kris May 29, 2010 at 12:20 am #

Hi mehboob ,

Its just jailborken not unlocked !! once you unlock it will work. This is what happen to me.

Tx
    Krish

• amit sharma May 30, 2010 at 8:37 pm #

have u unlocked ur iphone 3gs 3.1.3 new bootrom?? please help

41. Carlos June 2, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

Soy de México, compré mi iphone en amigo kit y le hice el jailbreak con sprit, EN MENOS DE UN MINUTO estuvo listo!!

42. Dinn June 4, 2010 at 9:54 pm #

I am getting error code c0000138 when I try to jailbreak with spirit.

43. John June 7, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

simon/world,
    I am new to Iphone (just recd a Iphone 3G 8gb with 3.1.3 w/5.12.01) and the jailbreak/unlock community, but I have been spending alot of time researching the web for the correct methods this weekend.

If I use spirit to jailbreak my iphone, can I use another app like blacksn0w or others to unlock, or am I stuck until?

• Joe June 7, 2010 at 10:22 pm #

As far as I know, if you iPhone is a locked version, 3.1.3 using Spirit can only jailbreak but not able to unlock it.

Some of the iPhone Dev Team is saying, unlock will only be available when iPhone ver 4.0 is available. Watch this blog for more update..

Good luck.

• John June 9, 2010 at 3:36 am #

Do you or anybody know of a way to return to 3.1.2 or before 3.1.3, may be by using the restore with itunes or some other applications; or am I stuck with it?

44. shabz June 9, 2010 at 2:24 am #

if the jailbreak says please connect the device then you have the device on restore mode this jailbreak needs to be done while the device is on unlike black rain

• john June 9, 2010 at 3:34 am #

45. Mrj June 11, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

If you have a dl.exe error in windows 7 try and run in windows 98 compatibility mode.

46. Naomi June 12, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Before using this, i used sn0wbreeze that failed. I recommend this to everyone who wants to jailbreak their iPhone and not stuff around!

47. richard June 14, 2010 at 3:43 am #

hi simon or anyone else who can help, i am trying to jailbreak my iphone 3gs but the same error report comes up. i have followed the instructions by the word, but every time i try it comes up wi dl.exe is missing, then ‘Failed to jailbreak (error code: c0000138)’.

• Simon Ng June 15, 2010 at 9:41 am #

@richard,

You can take a look at this article about the common errors of Spirit jailbreak.

48. shayan June 15, 2010 at 5:13 am #

right so ive down all of this and that been working great, amazing jailbreak. Ive got a problem though im using ipod3g 3.13 and its stuck in recovery mode anyway to get out of recovery mode without having to restore and sync everything and jailbreak again?

• venkat June 15, 2010 at 5:16 am #

Hi Shayan,

Try for 2-3 times.. it will work.

Tx
      Venkat

49. Amit Sharma June 22, 2010 at 8:37 pm #

Hi Guys,

Successfully Jailbreaked and Unlocked Iphone 3GS 3.1.3, baseband 05.12.07.

Yes its right… Now u can unlock it… i did it this morning :-)

• Simon Ng June 27, 2010 at 10:00 am #

@bob,

I do not have iPod touch. But you may check out this post about the possible fix for WiFi issue.

In case it still doesn’t work, I suggest you to restore the iPod touch and jailbreak it again.

50. bob again... June 27, 2010 at 2:06 am #

plese help simon!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

51. john June 28, 2010 at 10:03 am #

Simon,
    Thanks for the great info on spirit, I just jailbroke my 3g 3.1.3 5.2.01 without a problem.
    John

52. Kim June 28, 2010 at 10:23 am #

it worked on my ipod touch 3g 3.1.3! fast and easy.. and i was very happy that it didn’t erase my previous apps, music and photos. now i got to try it in a wifi area, and see if my wifi is working (since i heard that some users had some problems in their wifi connection). thanks to everyone who had been so helpful :)

53. din July 15, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

I m using 3GS 3.1.3 n downloaded spirit. however after downloading spirit my iphone is showing apple logo, tried to sync to itunes to factory setting but failed to restore. plse help

54. Rolan Paredes July 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm #

I used spirit jailbreak on my iphone 3gs 3.1.3 and succeeded. no problem happened and it is very easy to use. thanks to spirit……

55. Rock Patel October 6, 2010 at 7:51 am #

Hi can anybody tell me how to jailbreak and unlock my iphone! I have 3GS but when i upgread it comes to 4.1 now I have no idea how to unlock that….

56. azam November 17, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

haiiii….
    who can teach me how to jail break using spirit for version 4.1..plzz help me..
    tq

1. How to Fix Common Errors of Spirit Jailbreak « Rosiechenzy's Blog - June 6, 2010

[…] that doesn’t mean Spirit is completely error-free. Some readers have followed this guide to jailbreak their devices, but run into various problems, especially for those using Microsoft […]

2. How to Fix Common Errors of Spirit Jailbreak - iPad – Technology Insured Future - June 6, 2010

3. Apple Releases iTunes 9.2 to Support iPhone 4 and iOS 4 « Rosiechenzy's Blog - June 25, 2010

[…] everything works fine. However, if you haven’t jailbroken your iPhone and plan to do it via Spirit tool, iPhone Dev team recommended to hold off the upgrade: Don’t install today’s iTunes 9.2 […]

4. How to Fix Common Errors of Spirit Jailbreak | Best Ways To Pimp Your Apple iTouch - July 17, 2010

5. Jaibreak and Pimp Your iTouch » How to Fix Common Errors of Spirit Jailbreak - July 17, 2010

6. Jaibreak and Pimp Your iTouch » Apple Releases iTunes 9.2 to Support iPhone 4 and iOS 4 - July 19, 2010

7. Jaibreak and Pimp Your iTouch » Complete Guide: How To Jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G on iOS 4 - August 7, 2010

[…] you have used Spirit before, you should enjoy the one-click jailbreak process. But I can say “Jailbreakme” […]

8. How To Pimp My iTouch » Blog Archive » Frash Hack Brings Flash to iPhone - August 9, 2010

[…] Frash is developed by comex, the iPhone developer behind Spirit and JailbreakMe. The name ‘Frash’ is an abbreviation for Adobe Flash for Android Runtime. Comex […]

9. MyStreamTv.Com» MyStreamTv.Com - August 9, 2010

10. Complete Guide: How To Jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G on iOS 4 « Geejenkins's Blog - August 10, 2010

11. Frash Hack Brings Flash to iPhone | Best Ways To Pimp Your Apple iTouch - August 13, 2010