How To Fix Cydia Crash After iPhone Jailbreak

From time to time, I received emails about cydia launch issue after iPhone jailbreak. Some users mentioned every time they launch Cydia and it crashes immediately. One obvious solution is to go through the whole jailbreak process again and re-install Cydia.

It’s time-consuming, however.

Apparently, as revealed by iPhoneDownloadBlog, the crash issue is due to some corrupted repositories. So, there is a quick and dirty fix for the issue.

Here are the procedures:

1. Launch iPhone Explorer or Use SSH (e.g. Cyberduck for Mac or WinSCP for Windows) to access the file system of your jailbroken iPhone

2. Navigate to /var/lib/apt/lists and delete all files under this folder except the “partial” folder

3. Navigate to /var/lib/dpkg/updates. If there is any files inside, please also remove them.

4. Reboot your iPhone

Once boot up, you should be able to launch Cydia properly. Let me know if the fix works for you.

, , ,

221 Responses to How To Fix Cydia Crash After iPhone Jailbreak

1. lilyrose March 29, 2010 at 1:28 am #

Can I use diskaid also? Thanks. :)

• Simon Ng April 4, 2010 at 6:35 pm #

@lilyrose,

You can use diskaid too!

• golde July 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm #

I reset my iphone3g not its srikanth with apple logo. ..what can i do let me know

• eric how September 25, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

well mystory is quite different from yours… my Cydia has been crashed after installing Cartoon.Not only Cydia, but all the produchts;and i was very constrained.SAFARI AND mails didno’t know PLEASE HELP ME AND SETTING THE LAPTOP AS IT WAS BEFOFE
          hope that request will be greatly cobngi. i ‘ll be very grateful to me till my last last breakfast

• Joseph October 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

@Simon Ng how do I fix my iPhone.. Jailbroke it and after I installed something it said te spring board has an it gave an option to restart my iPhone. So I clicked it and started working fine again. But after like 3 mins it restarts by itself and says that the springboard has crashed. How do I fix it?

• noah October 2, 2012 at 9:08 am #

download crash reporter and go to springboard and trubbleshoot and delete what it says is the problem

• Alvin April 27, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

It works thanks… So there’s no problem even if I deleted those files in my iPhone?

Thanks for the help… my Cydia is working fine now.

• Daren December 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

Hi.! i got the problem with cydia after jailbreak too. but now it work fine for my Iphone 3gs, just simple way to go to solve cydia crash.

right click on redsnOw.exe-property-capacity- select Run this program in compatibility mode for “windows XP (Service Pack 2) – ok

after that right click on redsnOw.exe again and run as administrator….
      start jailbreak your iphone agian….your Cydia will be solved…

• chris February 20, 2012 at 2:19 am #

works!

2. Kai March 29, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

iPhone 3.1.3 official unlocked 16Gb 3G
    jailbroken with redsn0w.

crashing after updated.
    Deleted files as instructed and rebooted, no joy.

3. Chris April 14, 2010 at 8:22 pm #

iPhone 3G 3.1.3 jailbroken
    worked like a charm!

thanks!

4. Nil May 9, 2010 at 6:35 am #

Worked great. 2G 3.1.3. Thanks

• Tim November 16, 2011 at 10:52 am #

Thanks, worked on 2G 3.1.2 (sorry to resurrect such an old post!)

5. Gogreen May 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

I had the problem with cydia and I did the whole jailbreak using redsnow twice…but still cydia crashes as soon as it start to load!!! I cannot connect to the wifi, it says “unable to connect to wifi” .. My email accounts doesnt work as it says “No password provided for _____” when I have already typed in the password and saved it….I’m kinda doomed….any help is greatly appreciated….Now I am with an iphone which doesnt have anything except a new firmware :(

• Milo September 26, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

Did you get this fixed? I have the same issue with my iPhone. Wifi and email don’t work :(. Help appreciated!!!

6. ML May 13, 2010 at 4:02 am #

I have this problem after a jailbreak witheet spirit on 3gs 3.1.3
    since I cannot launch Cydia I cannot install tools like SSH, so its not possible to access the root folder. Is there a way arround this?
    Thanks.

• KiD_KRONiK October 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

use “ipadfileexplorer” google it its free

• shelagh February 4, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Me too. I have now done it 3x using SPIRIT and as soon as its done it tells me CYDIA is out of date ad i must upgrade, which I do and as soon as I am done, thats when this happens, that CYDIA keeps crashing. I have Phone Explorer but I cant get to any files mentioned.
      It only shows APPS, MEDIA….no /var/lib/apt/lists

7. RIC May 15, 2010 at 5:34 pm #

My Cydia crash after downloading some themes, tried more than 6 recom. solution
    and non works. At last I search solution base on the firmware version & iphone type.
    Found your and seem to be closest. Tried it & it works!
    Guess to solve CYDIA crash, solution must be related to your iphone firmware ver.
    and iphone type e.g. 2G, 3G or 3GS……………

Have fun………………..

8. Francis Kuah May 18, 2010 at 7:49 pm #

I have a first generation iPhone, and the version 3.1.3 on it, I have been told not to sync it with iTunes, as it will lock up. If the battery runs out, I have been told again that I will have to jailbreak it again, I am told that all this has to do with version 3.1.3. So evrey time the battry is low, I have to switch it off and charge the battery again.
    Can you please tell me if there is a way to overcome this issue, and how please

9. safarin May 29, 2010 at 11:51 am #

dear simon.

i just restore my 2g factory setting and just see my iphone this mornng its going just blank and can’t open or detect by itunes. can u tell me what is would be the problem actually?….

thanks….

10. David June 1, 2010 at 1:45 am #

I’ve done it using iFunbox, deleted the files, however my cydia (mail and safari as well) still refuses to work.
    Can anyone help me….?

11. nmoc June 2, 2010 at 8:06 am #

done steps, working fine now. 5 stars :)

12. Simon June 7, 2010 at 8:57 am #

Deleted files in both directories, restarted and success! Thanks.
    iPhone 3G with 3.1.3

• sur February 22, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

hi frnd..
      um not able to delete files under var/lib/apt/lists..
      suggest something..
      using iphone 3gs..
      pls pls pls HELP.. :(

13. Josh June 14, 2010 at 6:13 am #

Been trying ways to work to getting cydia fixed, did this and its back an working thank you so much

14. John June 16, 2010 at 4:52 am #

heyyyy…. WinSCP for windows worked for me

15. mab June 21, 2010 at 11:55 pm #

i cant get to it /var/lib/apt/lists plzzz help. i tried both iphone browser and ifunbox:(:(:(:(:(

16. tom July 5, 2010 at 6:10 am #

Iphone 3g 3.1.2 Worked great, thank you :3

17. james dik July 6, 2010 at 3:11 am #

iphone 3g 8gb

my cydia crashes everytime i try to use it. i have downloaded DiskAid and have tried to find the files on there but cant…?!!

I have got in Media – applicationarchives, DCIM etc..Where do i go to find the location where i delete the files?!

18. alejo July 8, 2010 at 1:35 am #

Worked for my 3G running iOS 4.0
    Cydia was crashing so quickly, I didn’t even have time to open it before it would crash again.

19. John July 8, 2010 at 3:13 am #

I have a 3GS running 3.1.3 (week 37) , and PC running Vista
    After spirit succeeds, cydia crashes immediately
    the root (/private/var) doesnt show up in iPhoneExplorer, diskaid, and iFunbox says
    it is jailed, can’t add afc2add or ssh because cydia crashes…
    tried running spirit from (progamFiles/common files/apple…) in win XP and win 95 comp. mode, same deal. Was the JB actually not successful?

Any suggestions most appreciated, thanks

20. Dre July 12, 2010 at 11:13 pm #

Finally, after half a day searching this is the complete answer! Most other threads tells you only to clear the /var/lib/apt/lists folder, but for me that was not enough. After clearing /var/lib/dpkg/updates it finally worked :-) !!

Btw, somehow my Cydia crached after buying the iBluever app…

21. Balacobaco July 20, 2010 at 7:49 am #

Very good job, man! Thanks for the help, worked as a charm here too!

22. Ammar July 26, 2010 at 9:03 am #

I just cant get that how to go to
    var/lib/apt/lists.
    can any one explain with screen shots i wil be thank ful
    regards

23. jerry August 2, 2010 at 2:23 am #

worked perfectly thanks oh and you can also use iphonebrowser if you dont have open ssh (:

24. jerry August 2, 2010 at 2:23 am #

25. Schwitzd August 2, 2010 at 4:55 am #

With Ios 4.0.1 doesn’t works :'(

26. liz August 2, 2010 at 5:37 am #

omg . I looked everywhere to find this solution. I was about to re-jailbreak when I decided to give this one a try . . .WORKED LIKE A CHARM AND CYDIA IS WORKING PERFECTLY NOW!!! 1000 THNX

27. Lukas August 4, 2010 at 2:29 am #

Works perfectly on my iPod Touch 2g 8gb (3.1.3)!!! Thank you so much.

28. Shawn August 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

Hey so this was very stupid of me i deleted the partial folder too..so i jailbroke my phone again and looked in lists and did not see a Partial folder does that mean i have to resoter and jailbreak all over again?? Please help

29. The PatrioT August 8, 2010 at 10:31 pm #

superb .. worked for me – iphone 3g-ios 4 JB+unlocked

30. J. Bezzy August 10, 2010 at 9:14 am #

How do you access the internet or anything dealing with that like the appstore and google map, after jailbreaking the iphone and using another carrier?

31. shannon August 12, 2010 at 7:34 am #

wow. it worked great for my 3G 3.1.3
    Thanks a lot! I tried jailbreaking so many times because cydia crashes.
    Now no crashes anymore :D

32. Jimmie August 17, 2010 at 5:36 am #

Simon: You are the MAN. I have been trying to fix this problem for 12 hours. Saw all the proposed solutions. Yours is the only one that worked. Wished I would have found it sooner. THANKS!

33. big b August 19, 2010 at 3:42 am #

i have 4.0.1 jailbroken, cydia crashes upon opening, i tried this and its unsuccessful for me, anyone know anything else? thanks

34. DAN August 31, 2010 at 2:25 am #

omg! You saved my phone!!!! Works like a champ! 100% w/ iphone explorer.

clear and clean out the bad repo..now cydia works!!!!!!!!!!! woohooooo!!

many many thanks.

35. Ryo August 31, 2010 at 11:51 pm #

3G 3.1.3. Worked perfectly. Thanks.

36. Dan September 1, 2010 at 1:23 am #

It works but now it doesn’t.
    Cydia still looking for the bad repos. In works well for the 3G going to cydia then it happened again.
    Is there another location to delete?

37. mekail September 3, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

thanks it worked great

38. mokum September 13, 2010 at 7:52 pm #

2G 3.1.3

Worked like a charm. Thanks.

39. Victor September 15, 2010 at 3:33 am #

It works, Cydia is on the road again! thank you

40. Dan September 26, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

The /var folder dosen’t appear in my nav menu. What should I do? I can’t find it! Can I restore to 4.0.2 and Jailbreak?
    iPod Touch 3G 32GB

41. Julian September 30, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

If you use the iphonebrowser to delete those files, will you lose your jailbreak and unlock?

42. neo October 2, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

no you will not lose any, and cydia will work

43. Samantha October 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Hey all- just another hint…the program Phoneview (available on MacOSX) will allow in the advanced section to open up the disk directly and you will be able to access the files you need to. Good luck!

44. the dude October 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm #

Worked like a charm… iPhone 3G with iOS 3.1.3. Used iPhone browser. Thank you sensei ;)

45. Mustafa October 27, 2010 at 9:31 pm #

how do i use this fix if cydia won’t even open!?!?

46. nona November 6, 2010 at 7:02 am #

i can’t connect to winSCP it’s says there’s a time out or something :S

47. nona November 6, 2010 at 7:08 am #

lol i think it helped

48. Hayley J November 7, 2010 at 9:14 pm #

Hey guys

Hope you can help.

I jailbroke my phone yesterday, however Cydia will not open at all. I have not been able to access Cydia since I jailbroke. I have used i funbox to delete the files as advised above but I have no files to delete. Can somebody please help me? Thanks

49. Sermft November 12, 2010 at 1:21 am #

Worked fine. Thanks!!!

50. jordan November 13, 2010 at 8:44 am #

it worked, this is the only website that tells you to delete the /var/lib/dpkg/updates part also everyone just tells you to delete the /var/lib/apt/lists. thank you

51. vivek November 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

wooow :) it worked out thank you so much :)

52. SYL November 14, 2010 at 1:46 am #

For iphone starting from 3.1.3 or have installed OpenSSH before Cydia failed, repairing Cydia works with the different proposed solutions.
    However for new jailbreaked Iphone with 3.1.2, no solution if you do not want to upgrade your firmware or baseband.
    Why?
    Cydia need to have been previously installed before its failed to have OpenSSH to delete concerned files with Cyberduck.
    Other solution is to install OpenSSH with Rock but no more accessible since Cydia and Rock have merged together (link dead in Blackra1n).
    Moreover, to use diskaid, iPhone Explorer, etc… to access Root, it is required to fix USB bug with afc2add…but…have to be installed with Cydia which failed.

Thus, at this stage, there’s no issue to fix Cydia if you perform a first jailbreak on iPhone and want to stay with 3.1.2 & Baseband 5.11.7 or if you do not have Cydia bug-fixed already installed on your device.

I someone have idea to fix this?

53. Cynthia November 14, 2010 at 1:52 am #

OMG it worked, looking online for hours and everyone said to reinstall or rejailbreak it and i didn’t want to do that, so happy I found this site. It worked beautiful…also after rebooting it cause mine is unlocked it showed no service so I just took out sim card and put it back in and there it was service working again. Thanks a Bunch!

54. Tonym December 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

Thanks for this had the same problem on my Ipad just downloaded iPhone explorer deleted the files now cydia works again.
    Took all of five minutes and that was by a relative newby to jailbreak and with a three year old running around teeing to use the iPad whilst I was doing it!
    Thanks for the advice

55. Lifesigns December 15, 2010 at 8:26 am #

Iphone 3G iOS 3.1.3 worked for me – Thanks!

56. nemat khan December 25, 2010 at 6:35 pm #

thanks it worked with me…..

57. Sims January 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

when i go into all the folders as described above to delete the files, the files are not there…. HELP please

58. Rahul January 6, 2011 at 11:33 am #

Thanks buddy this worked for my unlocked 3.1.3 2g. thanks again

59. Hussein January 9, 2011 at 6:30 am #

Worked for me Thank you very much

60. chady January 13, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Hello can I try it for my Safari because once i heat on it it executes for 3 seconds then exit by itself without giving me any option even if i hit anywhere nothing while Cydia works fine so what do you say do I give it a try…?????

Thanks in advance

61. Manticore January 20, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

Simon you’re a magician! I can now open Cydia. Thanks buddy and keep up the good work!

• Simon Ng January 21, 2011 at 8:55 am #

Thanks! Glad to hear that it works for you :-)

62. Bryan January 20, 2011 at 10:33 pm #

100% worked for me cheers!

63. jamzskater January 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

tnx! this one helps me a lot.. =)

64. trish January 22, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

YEYYY!!! Worked for mi 2G 3.1.3 :))) Thanks a lot. ♥

65. SAINT1590 January 22, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

THANKS A LOT !!!! :)

66. roni January 28, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

my phone is 3Gs 4.2.1(8C148a) with firmware 05.15.04 and i jailbreaked it using redsnow 0.9.6b4 and tried all the redsnow versions still cydia crushes..so i had tried ur method still the same… cydia is white n dose not open after rebooting the device olso..

any new idea…or shud we iphone users have to wait untill the proper jailbreaks released.

• xavier August 15, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

we have the same problem, will anyone help us?

67. Marvin February 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

I searched for the solution for this problem and saw iphonedownloadblog’s solution. Tried that, but to no avail. I was to rejailbreak when I gave it another whirl. Then I remember I tried to update Activator when the crash happens. So I searched again and found your solution, and boy, oh boy, IT WORKED!!!

You’re my hero! (no homo).

68. hwj69 February 3, 2011 at 8:26 am #

Iphone 3G iOS 3.1.3 worked for me – Thanks!

69. Franco February 7, 2011 at 8:29 am #

Hello guys…
    Well, I did the jailbreak with Redsnow in version 4.2.1.
    I did try to installed a corrupt repository or a cydia cracked up, called Auto Silent, because the switch is not working. The problem went after this, my Iphone freezed. As I did many times before, I restored it and did all the process again. But now everytime I want to open Cydia I have a notification that says installing file system, and the whole iphone system crashes again.
    Please if somebody can give me some help I will appreciate. I have a 3gs on 4.2.1

70. Franco February 7, 2011 at 8:31 am #

I forgot to add, that I tried to delete the files with Iphone Explorer, but it still doing the same.

71. Lukong February 13, 2011 at 11:05 am #

If your reading this, you have figured by know that 4.2.1 has problems when trying to open Cydia after Redsnow jailbreak and that 3.1.3 doesn’t have problems or its easier to solve theirs.

I have access to 2 iDevices, one with 4.2.1 and one with 3.1.3.
    The 4.2.1 was already jailbroken and was restored from a 4.0.2 to 4.2.1 and had all its videos and music erased.
    THe 3.1.3 was being use a literal Music player, no videos, apps or pictures

Your probably wishing you found that out early [Same here] because of all the searches for 4.2.1 jailbreak or dfu mode or dfu mode program or how to install crack ipa or etc and trying repeatedly to time it right when putting your iDevice in DFU mode.

That’s why no can’t wait for Spirit’s next jailbreak.

72. hai February 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

hi i jailbreak my iphone4 for six month now. i update the cydia after i cant go inside the sreen

• hai February 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

anyone know how to fix it

73. Danielle February 15, 2011 at 3:36 am #

I have the iphone 4.2.1 and after downloading the app iphonedelivery it has caused my cydia to crash a few seconds after i open it so i can not delete the app. I have tried this method and deleted the files using iphone explorer but it didn’t work. Cydia still crashes. Can anyone help me please?

74. ElCheapo February 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

I’m using iPhone 2G OS3.0. Cydia seemed to work after deleting the files mentioned above. But after that, it comes up with these:

1) GPG error etc/apt/trusted.gpg.dl (no such file or directory)
    2) Failed to Fetch etc etc
    3)Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

After that, Cydia quits and crashes over and over again

• Martin June 5, 2011 at 3:27 am #

It happens exactly the same to me. Haven’t sort it out yet. Any ideas?

75. Umar February 20, 2011 at 5:01 am #

Thankx it really works

76. YD Chow February 20, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Hi thanks very much for this useful post. However when I navigated to /var/lib/apt/lists I couldn’t find any files, nor is there any files in /partial. Is there something I’m missing here? I’m using IPhone 3Gs. Thanks!

77. Hugh February 23, 2011 at 10:10 am #

Hi all, I have this problem too and this solution does not work for me. I have unlocked ATT iPhone 4 os 4.0 on baseband 1.59

The only problem is 300 apps and no Cydia. I have access to the root with WinSCP.

Here is a small hint that does not help me. If I use sbsettings I can reboot into safemode and cydia opens but will not let me sign in (probably a deleted file per this procedure (?)

I used spirit 8 months ago. No problems. iTunes sync fine. I just need Cydia without restoring rejailbreaking.. I’m open to ideas!

78. Hugh February 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Well, blind squirrels find acorns every now and then. I was able to use these instructions

with the cydia deb’s here:

and voila.

79. enJoy February 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

It works for my ipod. Thanks a lot!

80. Ism February 25, 2011 at 3:26 am #

Thank you veeery much, it worked with me :).

81. sailesh February 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

you r sexyyyyyyyyyyyyy i love uuuuuuuuuuuu……..

82. coldestLivewire February 27, 2011 at 10:32 am #

can’t find lib in var
    using iphonebrowser version 1.9.3.0

83. iPhone 3G 4.0.1 March 2, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

worked for me, thanks…..

84. Jenny March 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

I did those steps and it still crashes. plz help

85. jolevus March 3, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!

86. manraj March 10, 2011 at 12:51 am #

this work thank u vry vry much

87. anish March 11, 2011 at 4:58 am #

hello,
    i am using iphone 4 , 4.1 (jaibreakd) and i had cydia but it crashed ….so i deleted all the files of cydia by looking at some forums thru iphone explorer….but i am not able to reinstall it again thru limera1n b4 i was duin it so easily…so is dea any way to reinstall cydia manually or any other method without restoring it again as i have more than 150 apps intalled on it and i cant afford to delete them

88. Typhon March 13, 2011 at 12:03 am #

iPhone 3G, 3.1.3

Cydia now crashes even faster than before. Instead of getting a loading packages page it opens and immediately crashes.

• Typhon March 13, 2011 at 12:12 am #

iPhone 3G, 3.1.3

Tried again and it worked. They key files to remove where the ones in the /var/lib/dpkg/updates folder (I found 2 in mine). Once I removed these, without even rebooting the iPhone, cydia began working again. Thanks.

89. anish March 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

hello,

90. DoubleL March 16, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

omg it worked thank youuuu

91. sha March 21, 2011 at 9:27 am #

thanks sooooo much…it worked!

using iphone 4….4.2.6

92. Pavlina March 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

Great it worked oerfectly thank you so much.

93. rahul_1307 March 30, 2011 at 3:01 am #

DUDE U GOT NOO IDEA WAT A GR8 HELP U WERE !!! :)

94. Rakim360 April 6, 2011 at 2:43 am #

Yet another great idea Simon, this worked great for my iPhone 4.Cydia was giving me repository errors and i searched for a way to delete them all. You showed me where to find them & delete them.

95. abeera April 9, 2011 at 3:58 am #

iphone 3g 3.1.3
    works perfect. thankyou so much, i really didnt want to go through the jail break process , this saved me. God bless you

96. Peter April 10, 2011 at 1:13 am #

A solution that Works!!!
    For those of you who tried everything and thought that you ran into dead end there is another solution on how to jailbreak and unlock your iphone 3g. I had tried doing the above solution for my Iphone 3G running firmware 3.1.2 and cydia still kept on crashing. I downloaded blacra1n and that didn’t fix any problems either. The best solution I found and is to upgrade your iphone to a custom rom 4.1 firmware. If you want to know how to do this, visit a youtube site titled “How to Upgrade your iPhone 3g & 3gS from 3.xx firmware to Custom 4.1 Firmware ” This video shows how to jailbreak and unlock your iphone. Trust me, I thought I ran into dead end at first, but now I figured it out and hope this will work for you as well.

97. Deb April 15, 2011 at 5:15 am #

So iphone explorer ONLY shows me two folders: APPS and MEDIA

I do not see a /var

• Simon Ng April 15, 2011 at 9:18 am #

Is your iPhone jailbroken?

• yoga April 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

i have the same problem, and yes my phone is JB. can u help me?

98. jaybee April 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

worked perfectly on my iphone 2g with 3.1.3. thanks man

99. mama luigi April 24, 2011 at 4:40 am #

Wow! awsome! your a geneous!! thnx! hey can you let me know about other cool stuff you can do please :D

100. Javier April 27, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

iPhone 3GS 16GB. 3.1.2 BB 05.13.04 —> Does not work for me…. ='(

101. zia April 27, 2011 at 10:14 pm #

thanks….. great work

102. nicole April 29, 2011 at 5:06 am #

it didnt work help for iphone with a firmware of 4.2.1

103. adrian April 30, 2011 at 2:11 am #

thanks man ! i tryied with diskaid and now cydia loads up very quickly. cheers for that!

104. Radz May 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

WORKS GREAT !!!!! THANKS A LOT !!!! Ive been looking out for solving cydia crash problem n it worked !!! superlike :)
    Iphone 3g 3.1.3

105. richard May 2, 2011 at 6:02 am #

i have iphonebrowser but when i go to var there is no lib folder cydia keeps crashing immediately

106. dexter May 3, 2011 at 1:32 am #

trying this now…….

it worked!!!

…. awesome! thanks a lot.

107. Faustino May 5, 2011 at 7:51 am #

My cydia crashes immediately on startup everytime. My mobile terminal app also crashes every single time upon startup. I also do not have a computer, so iphone explorer and ssh are out for me as well. I did not download ifile prior to the crashing either.

So, given all of that and the fact that I have been searching for an answer nonstop 6-8 hours a day for 3-4 days, does ANYONE have a solution for this?

108. Mas May 20, 2011 at 3:08 am #

It worked for my iPhone! Thanks!

109. ary May 30, 2011 at 4:29 am #

i fixed problem cydia crashing safari crash but after turn off
    my iphone ites same ,what can i do?????

110. James Adams June 4, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

i accidently deleted the things inside the partial folder!

My cydia still doesnt work

what can i do now

please reply

111. Sa-Mac June 5, 2011 at 7:23 am #

Dude you are genius, do you know any other tricks and tips if I have problems, I often have this particular.

Thanks, I don’t know any thing ells to say love that there is knowledge out there.

112. Al June 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm #

Hey there, i checked both directories you mentioned, but they were both empty already? I have never been able to use Cydia nor Safari since jailbreaking due to crashing, and i really don’t want to do the process all over again. Any other advice on this please? Thank you.

• Al June 16, 2011 at 9:52 pm #

I have JB my Iphone 4, and got Cydia up and running fine, but the other day, i went into vodafone to get my micro sim, and they said that it won’t accept my network data, because it is already JB. And to take it into Optus to get them to unlock it for free.
      But regardless of this, isn’t the whole point of JB is to unlock the phone anyways? I’m a bit confused.
      Thanks in advance for the advice.

113. Martin June 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

After going through the Iphone Explorer and deleting the mentioned files, I could re open Cydia again successfully. But after showing me this error messages:
    1) GPG error etc/apt/trusted.gpg.dl (no such file or directory)
    2) Failed to Fetch etc etc

, it shows “Loading Data” for ever and I can’t use Cydia any more.

So, I tried jailbreaking one more time. But Cydia still has the same problem.

Can anyone help me please???? I’m losing my patience with this matter…

Cheers,
    Martin

• Drizeem June 17, 2011 at 1:12 am #

Try JB’ng with the newest redsnow, RC16, it worked fine on mine, my Cydia and Safari used to always crash, but this fixed it.
      For 3GS – http://thebigboss.org/guides/jailbreak-with-redsn0w
      Firmware 3GS: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-1009.20110503.M73Yr/iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw
      Good luck.

• Drizeem August 23, 2011 at 10:41 am #

I hooked up my iphone to Itunes not long after my last coment, and accidently did an update, which restored the iphone back to factory settings. The good news though is, after that i linked my phone and itunes accepted it, and my sim and it is running fine now?!v lol, don’t know what happened. Unfortunatley it deleted all my prior jb and cydia apps. Thanks for the link, much appreciated,i will keep it for use alil down the track.. Cheers

114. jhon June 8, 2011 at 10:17 pm #

You are a Magician !

115. PrivyHacker June 16, 2011 at 4:52 am #

i’ve follow the intructions and del the those files….
    now my cydia works works like charm …:)_)

THANKS so much

116. Jason June 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

I used the greenpois0n jailbreak for 4.2.1, and had the problem with Cydia crashing. I used iPhoneExplorer, but with a different procedure.
    1. locate and delete Root/Applications/Cydia.app
    2. reboot
    3. using the “Loader” application that came with greenpois0n, re-download Cydia.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Cydia should be launchable now.

• tylers.mommy October 13, 2011 at 11:18 pm #

I did the exact same thing and it worked perfectly!

117. David June 20, 2011 at 9:55 am #

After installing an app, iPhone froze completely and had no other choice but to restore with 3.1.2. Used Blackra1n and Snow to unlock, everything seems to be working nice but Cydia, always crashing after loading screen. I tried using Diskaid but again, no root folder found even though being jailbroken. Can’t get passed this Cydia thing, therefore I can’t install afc2 or whatever, any suggestions would be appreciated.

118. Cosmin June 23, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

THX!!! THX!!! THX!!! a LOOT! IT WORKED for ME!!

119. Matthew June 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

This worked like a charm, first time – Used DiskAid. Thanks for the tip – Definitely appreciated and got me out of a jam.

120. Mat July 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

I just JB my friend’s iPhone, the cydia appears in white and can’t be accessed. I tried your solution, and I don’t see anything in the folders apart from partial folder.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advanced.

121. Adi July 22, 2011 at 6:07 am #

It works on iPhone 2H 3.1.3 thanks :) :)

122. your mother fucker July 23, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

this just caused my iphone4 4.3.4 to crash you idiot

123. Damien Manders July 26, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

I’m not good at this stuff at all….as I do not understand a lot of the language used….When you advise….’Launch’ the program Cyberduck (Mac)…I’ve downloaded it….where do I launch it from …my Macbook….or do I plug in the ipone 4 and it just happens?….Sorry for asking bu i\m totally confused. Do all the ‘procedures just happen automatically?… Thanks….Damien.

124. shiv August 18, 2011 at 9:29 am #

After changing bassband in iphone ver 4.3.3. through redsnow i went to cydia and it start downloading, went for hours then i switch my phone in between but after that i can’t able to switch on my iphone…. nothing is happening…pleasssseeee helllllpppp meeeee…….

125. Luis August 21, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

126. Luis August 21, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

This worked like a charm, first time – Thanks for the tip – Definitely appreciated.

• Myriam September 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

Did this, but now my repo’s are all emty so I cannot add my fav apps.

What did I do wrong here?
      Pls help!

127. lovelydina September 10, 2011 at 5:10 am #

After jailbreak my cydia crashed as it loads but it wont open the resources or accept the URL so please i need to know what i shall do

128. Scott September 25, 2011 at 12:25 am #

i done what you said but i deleted the folder lists by mistake and a tried to add it again it doesnt work.

129. Cartman October 1, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

i tryed this and the files you said to delete were not there and i tryed re-doing the jailbreak process it still wont work and ive rebooted my device which is a 3GS and it still isnt working any suggestions as to how to fix this

130. mariusz October 9, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

hi i have problem with My IPhone because the half off the screen is working and the other half do not. I can slide to power of but when i wont to pres cancel i can’t .I do not now if is the problem with the screen because I just change the screen for new one . pleas help !!!!!!!!!

131. Kevin Montecalvo October 10, 2011 at 3:47 am #

I accidentally deleted the partial folder under var/lib.. what will happen? and im trying to delete all the files in there but says I cant delete them.. why

• sur February 22, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

hi frn..
      even um not able to delete the other files under var/lib/apt/lists.
      pls help..

132. ZRY October 22, 2011 at 11:34 am #

after jailbreaking for my iphone 4 , my cydia had no picture for the app and it is completely white.. everytime I open it, it crashes..
    any idea how to solve this ?

133. vertgirl October 31, 2011 at 1:51 am #

I don’t see any posts from 2011. I have a 3G with 6.15.00 baseband and 3.0 firmware. Jailbroke using redsnow. Used this fix and Cydia loaded. Stll no service, can’t send/receive calls. Doesn’t recognize SIM card with AT&T. Now, Cydia will not load again. Have been working on this for 3 weeks. I have tried everything posted on the net, everywhere, nothing seems to work and I cannot get my phone usuable again. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

134. vertgirl October 31, 2011 at 2:02 am #

I also just noticed that after I reboote my phone and Cydia launched, the partial app folder is now gone. It was there before I rebooted my phone, in which now Cydia won’t load again. Any suggestions?

135. Edybarsih November 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm #

You would just reboot using redsn0w , after reboot , cydia i’ll gone open

136. jarod November 13, 2011 at 7:13 am #

Cydia 1.0.x seems to be no longer supported and thus its auto-update fails..

i recommend just putting the amazing Whited00r (iOS 4, 5 features + look; whited00r.com) on your phone, which also comes with Cydia 1.1.x, which works fine!

or find a standalone Cydia 1.1.x installer..

^_^

137. joseph November 21, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

works good thanks Simon. iPhone firmware 3.1.2.

• josep November 21, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

sorry for bothering again, it seems that worked well but after i tried the 1st app from hackulo.us it did give me errors and then back to reloading data then after 1 minute it crash’s again. any help ? is there and 1st apps i have to install them after the jailbreak ?

138. pixlepix November 24, 2011 at 12:46 am #

So, I have this problem. However, I never installed any file managers on my device. What do I do?

139. saniz December 2, 2011 at 3:06 am #

yes it help thanks lot lot and lot!

140. kiran December 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm #

works great for my iphone 3g

141. NEO December 4, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

Mistake delete file var lib apt list on iphone how to recovery back
    when i open my cydia it give me three error

List directory /var/lib/apt/lists/partial is missing.

could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock -open (2: no such file or directory)

Lists directory /var/lib/apt/lists/partial is missing.

is there any way to fix this problem thx

142. andy December 28, 2011 at 4:49 am #

ipod 4G……i did it and cydia still crashes when i try adding new source or press the search bar….feels like it crashes when ever the keyboard is about to pop up

143. Dan December 28, 2011 at 10:55 am #

IOS 4.0.1 Cydia opened but WHITE ICON STILL SHOW = COULDN’T USE IT

144. gumgum January 16, 2012 at 4:31 am #

There is no lib in my var folder. So i can’t delete anything in it! And my cydia still doesn’t work.

145. Will Dearborne January 25, 2012 at 1:17 am #

i had the same issue after a fresh install of a sn0breeze ipsw, but after i rebooted (KISS – Keep It Simple, Stupid) Cydia corrected itself and is working fine. my suggestion is try a reboot before going in to your system files.

146. giovanni February 5, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

does it work on ipod touch 4.2.1?

147. Zak February 15, 2012 at 2:13 am #

Damn…!!! it works…yippy…my cydia is extremely fast…..!!! thanx

148. sur February 22, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

HI SIMON NG,

I HAVE AN IPHONE 3GS JAILBROKEN & AS I START MY CYDIA, IT KEEPS SHOWING “LOADING DATA”. I VIEWED YOUR SOLUTION TO CYDIA CRASH. HAVE INSTALLED iPhone Explorer TOO, BUT I M NOT ABLE TO PERFORM STEP 2.

PLS HELP !!

149. stefano February 23, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

hello!!
    thank you for your amazing guide!!
    i have a problem, how could i upload cydia to the version 1.1 by using iexplorer? in which folder should i put the file cydia_1.1.0_iphoneos-arm.deb???
    please help me i am desperate, cydia is stuck on loading data!

150. tandenborstel February 26, 2012 at 1:10 am #

151. tandenborstel February 26, 2012 at 1:14 am #

in iExplorer (or iFunbox) go to applications. In the list that will be showed, find cydia app and delete this. Even though your springbourd willl show the cydia app, it is deleted and you can download it again from loader. Then it should work fine.

152. Mr Grif March 7, 2012 at 6:20 am #

So far so good Mate, Regards

153. Luke March 16, 2012 at 5:41 am #

Hey, i have only one problem: in var/… directory. There is no files!
    I had a many more problems, like no SSH (i have installed it via USB:D), but now, using IFUN-BOX, Iphone Browser, or whatever, i cant find any files to delete… And Cydia still isn’t working…

154. Jimmy Kho March 17, 2012 at 4:14 am #

Doesn’t work… any others ideas?

155. ddonn March 22, 2012 at 1:49 am #

If anyone gets a white cydia icon which immediately crashes, try this;

1.You have jailbroken iphone and installed cydia but cydia won’t open.
    2.Run redsn0w as administrator as you done to jailbreak.
    3.Click extras, just boot.
    4.Enter DFU mode as before.
    5.Wait until installation is complete.

Cydia should now be usual brown icon and opens normally.

• Fraze August 21, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Sir, I’ll do like that and change my cydia change brown icon but still not working when i open it but it close immediately.

156. vic March 31, 2012 at 11:33 am #

lol at this because after you jailbreak and launch cydia just to have it crash on you you wont be able to ssh why? because you have to get ssh on the device from cydia in the first place so this is a dead end issue unless you want to go through the whole rejailbreak process again this doesnt fix squat

157. roy April 8, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

hi simon,

i seem can’t get it rite after i’ve done all the things you said, my cydia still crashing. This is happened after i upgrade my iphone 3gs to iOS 5.0.1 and jailbreak it. I want to unlock it but that is impossible unless i can get to cydia. please help

158. biglittledragoon April 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Thank you!
    Worken very fine on my iPhone 2G and iOS 3.1.3
    I was able to update Cydia and install the mod I needed!

159. basiliko02 May 3, 2012 at 4:22 am #

thanks man it really works i am so so happy thanks thanks thank very big thanks :)

160. mofo May 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

I cant access the var… it just shows a white peice of paper for the icon what do i open it with? (iexplorer)

161. alberttan777 May 24, 2012 at 3:10 am #

Woww!!! Great.. It works for me..
    I’m using ipod 2g ios 4.3.1
    The cydia run even faster.. Thanks!

162. momen790 May 30, 2012 at 6:36 am #

clearest vid on the entire internet . thanks allot

163. anusha June 5, 2012 at 2:06 am #

works like a charm..thank you!

164. Rashi June 15, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

@Simon:

I have iphone 4, ios 5…I had initially downloaded cydia to unlock it but it doesnt work…afterwards few days back i have done factory unlock. But coz of cydia my safari and mailbox is crashing and also youtube is also not streaming….so I google-ed and find above steps…I did all these but cydia is still crashing on my iphone….pls help…..

165. efka66 July 3, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

SOLUTION!!!Update iOS ,either on iphone or itunes,if there is update error you go to “C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc” and remove the HOSTS file from there, just move it out of there, do your thing with the update and then move it back it in.Jailbreak your phone again and VOILA.

• efka66 July 3, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

do update for your iphone on i tunes after u tempo
      rary remove hosts file.

166. efka66 July 3, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

there is a link to newest absinthe jailbreak for Windows iOS 5.1.1

167. Silvester July 10, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

It didnt work for me, cydia is still messed up, if it helps you to understand my problem, i was looking into a theme and accidentally taped on a link, after that i kept seeing a page called 1.1 70×65 pixels everytime i open cydia and whenever i go into any of the programs i want to install

168. iphone repair kit 3gs July 31, 2012 at 6:55 am #

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!

169. snehit August 27, 2012 at 1:03 am #

It worked for me before but when I got same problem again it is not working now…..

What to do about it?

170. erichow September 25, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Well, my problem is: my cydia crashed while adding You tube ios6, and all the other apps from Cydia didn’t work.I deleted all the apps downloaded from Cydia and Cydia as well.I noticed that I can close and open again my iphone 4,which means that it’s nomore tethered.So I rejailbreak again,but cannot add Cydia….Now my mail and Safari are not working…Please help me….I’ll be very grateful to you..thanks

171. joe September 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

doesnt work

172. efka66 October 2, 2012 at 4:40 am #

do not upgrade to newest ios6 you will loose youtube ,google maps etc.and there is no jailbreak for it yet. : (

173. someone January 3, 2013 at 11:18 am #

Didn’t work!

174. Hunzala February 11, 2013 at 2:48 am #

Wohooo its working You rock man !!!
    Hats off :)

175. bro February 21, 2013 at 10:44 am #

no it didnt

176. workout for gain in muscle mass February 22, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Hi, I want to subscribe for this webpage to obtain most recent updates,
    so where can i do it please assist.

177. Rayden Timothy Montalbo II March 6, 2013 at 2:41 am #

didnt work for me

178. don't follow this guide March 6, 2013 at 9:35 am #

this did not work, and it guides you to use a software that requires payment,,

179. kirubel March 27, 2013 at 7:35 am #

did’t work

180. Hitesh May 3, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

didn’t work

181. Larzzy May 3, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

thanks dude it works

182. Steven Vi Hoang July 9, 2013 at 11:07 am #

issues need to be fissues

183. Ipod User July 21, 2013 at 6:25 am #

Did not work. but now my safari is also crashing on opening

184. jeany January 7, 2014 at 1:25 am #

works for me! I think this works mainly for someone who have had cydia for a long time, so it clogs up the files?
    not entirely for those who doesn’t have cydia working for them upon jailbreaking.
    thanks anyways!

185. Tex March 15, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

hey guys, if u are a tethered jailbreaker ,u must using redsnow to boot the phone. Since its a tethered jailbreak you always have to do it after restarting your device. Go to extras and click on the “Just Boot” button
    100000000000000000000000% success…
    good luck guys, bye

186. free imvu credits hack 2014 September 10, 2014 at 11:37 am #

Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of
    the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking
    issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

1. Anonymous - June 26, 2010

[...] [...]

2. Cydia Crashing immediately..... - Apple iPad Forum - August 26, 2010

[...] has been found….with a alternation. How To Fix Cydia Crash After iPhone Jailbreak | The iPhone and iPad Blog by Simon [...]

3. Anleitung: Jailbreak & Unlock iPhone 3G mit iOS4 #redsn0w UPD. FAQs - December 1, 2010

[...] [...]

4. Succesfully Jailbroke with Redsn0w but cannot open Cydia. - Hackint0sh - December 23, 2010

[...] I think I may have saved it, using tinyumbrella… and the folder I erased was /var/lib/dpkg/updates as this site said would fix the phone How To Fix Cydia Crash After iPhone Jailbreak | The iPhone and iPad Blog by Simon [...]