2 Great Ways to Disable iPhone’s Auto Rotation Feature

iPhone’s built-in accelerometer offers a simple way to switch between portrait and landscape mode. As all know, you can simply rotate iPhone sideway and it responds automatically to display content in landscape. The landscape offers better reading experience for most applications and a wider keyboard for typing. When iPhone was first released, the landscape mode was only made available to limited applications (e.g. Safari). In response to a large number of user requests, since iPhone OS 3.0, Apple opened up this feature and apply it to all built-in iPhone apps (e.g. Notes and Text).

I love this slick feature. At the same time, I find it quite irritating for a simple reason: I hate it turn sideway when I lay in bed to browse web and check my email.

I’m not the only one complaining about this. Someone even setup a Facebook group named “I hate when my iPod/iPhone turns sideways when I lay in bed and use it!” that has already accumulated to over 10,000 fans. Probably you’re already one of them.

Why iPhone Turns sideway when you lay in bed

The accelerometer measures the angle of iPhone relative to gravity, rather to the user. Due to this reason, iPhone rotates sideway when you lay in bed.

How to turn off Auto-Rotation Feature

Here, I’ll show you two ways to disable auto-rotation for iPhone. As always, these tricks are only applicable to jailbroken iPhones.

1. iNoRotate
First, let’s take a look at iNoRotate. iNoRotate is a tweak that lets you completely or selectively turn off auto-rotation on iPhone. It’s a free application that is available on cydia. Once installed, you’ll find a new option named iNoRotate in Settings. To disable auto-rotation, you can simply switch the “Enable” option to ON to completely disable landscape mode for all apps. The tweak also offers additional option to let you disable applications selectively. Say, you want to keep the landscape mode enabled for Safari, simply toggle its associated switch to OFF. Please note for any change in the options, you’ll need to toggle the “Enable” switch to effectuate the change.

iNoRotate gives you great control of iPhone’s auto-rotation feature. But some of you may still think that’s not good enough. Say, you are now using the Safari with landscape mode disabled. For certain reason, you want to re-enable it while you’re reading a web page. In this case, you need to jump back to home screen, tap Settings and re-configure the iNoRotate option.

So, is there any easier way that you can enable/disable while using Safari or other applications? Okay, let’s check out another cydia apps.

2. Rotation Inhibitor for SBSettings
The second app named Rotation Inhibitor is a plugin for SBSettings that also allows you to toggle the auto-rotation feature within any applications. For those who do not know about SBSettings [Full review here], it is one of my favorite cydia applications that brings toggles to iPhone home screen. While using any applications, you can simply swipe the status bar to activate SBSettings. With rotation inhabilitor installed, just tap the inhibitor button to enable/disable auto-rotation.

Both apps work as advertised and offers you a full control of auto-rotation. However, if you would like to toggle the rotation feature anytime, the Rotation Inhibitor is definitely the best app for you.

Do you find the auto-rotation feature irritating? Should Apple offer us option to turn off this feature and let us control it manually? Feel free to leave us comment and let us know your thought.

Update: Since the release of iOS 4, Apple has added an option to lock iPhone in portrait orientation.

, , , ,

38 Responses to 2 Great Ways to Disable iPhone’s Auto Rotation Feature

1. violiance March 4, 2010 at 5:05 am #

Thanks, it’s very useful.

2. Andy March 5, 2010 at 4:22 am #

I’ve been wanting this for sooo long! It works great, BUT I want it to disable rotate for iPod ONLY…. :( add this feature please!

3. ViPuL June 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Really……….simonblog…….rocks….!!

4. Norman June 22, 2010 at 3:15 am #

How do I get Rotation Inhibitor? I’ve had my iPhone for less than a week and I’m ready to return it for this reason.

5. Hdhhd August 25, 2010 at 9:40 pm #

I want to cry, thanks for the advice!
    Norman, you have to have a jailbroken iPod/iPhone in order to use these features.
    In wikipedia you can look for the latest jailbreak software, then look for that software over the web.

6. AK September 2, 2010 at 6:58 am #

You don’t need to jailbreak your iPhone or add new apps just to disable auto rotate or lock the screen orientation. This feature is built into the iPhone OS 4

Check out this instruction on how to do it:

• Erik Eriksson September 17, 2010 at 6:39 pm #

Right AND wrong!

Only on iPhone 3G S and later… iPhone 3G does not have this feature, regardless of iOS version.

7. M M October 8, 2010 at 2:56 pm #

Huzzah! Death to coverflow! Thanks for providing such detailed info on these great tweaks.

8. Dina January 10, 2011 at 2:47 am #

Totally agreeing with Andy. I find this so irritating on the iPod. It just wont turn back fast enough or at all sometimes when I hold it straight, and I never use it sideways.

9. Arizona wedding videos February 26, 2011 at 2:20 am #

More then useful. How do we get you with apple’s programming team?

10. Device Gadget February 28, 2011 at 6:14 am #

More Info iPhone’s Auto Rotation Feature

Thx.. :)

11. Candice March 9, 2011 at 8:56 am #

If you have a 3GS you can double click the home button and scroll to the right and there is a lock symbols with a arrow around it. That is how to turn the auto rotate on and off.

• lizzie March 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm #

Thank you thank you thank you a billion!!

• Lynette September 21, 2011 at 10:17 am #

Candice
      I love you
      thanks for posting

12. Candice March 9, 2011 at 8:59 am #

I’m sorry it’s to the left not the right.

• AG September 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

AWESOME!!! thank you! I knew there had to be something other than some silly app!!! YOU ROCK

13. sam beal March 14, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

it’s a standard setting option on a Kindle. Insane imposition by Apple’s UI God to not support it natively. I doubt they care or pay any attenrion to opinions on Facebook.

14. Kelly March 31, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

THERE IS A BUILT-IN FEATURE FOR THIS IN iOS 4! Press the circle button (I guess it’s the menu button) twice. Your most recent apps will show up at the bottom. Scroll to the left. There will be music controls and what looks like a refresh button on the left. Tapping the refreshy-looking button will lock or unlock your screen in its current orientation. :)

15. Abe Mer April 24, 2011 at 3:24 am #

Doubble tap the button below your screen and scroll to the left when you see those aps appear. The last option is a lock feature that will show up in your tool bar. You don’t need a stupid ap.

• ann October 6, 2011 at 6:19 am #

Exactly. double tap the home button.. swipe your finger to the right (meaning that you’re scrolling to the left) and the last icon is the “lock” icon. select it to keep your phone from flip-flopping.

Freaking Apple should’ve included this feature in ALL of its devices since an idiot would figure out that not everyone wants their phone rotating at will. You would think that Apple would get off its a_ _ and make it a part of everyone’s firmware update.

I give Apple a big thumbs down for screwing that one up.

16. Drunade June 15, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

Abe met, thx for the unknown feature that 3GS has I didn’t know

17. WTF July 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

IT WONT WORK ON PHOTOS. ONLY ON CAMERA…

18. raj September 6, 2011 at 3:39 pm #

I have 3.1.3 jailbroken iphone 2g and 3g, i want to rotate every app in iphone. do any crack available for this.

19. vijer October 31, 2011 at 3:02 pm #

Ya automatic rotation is terrible. The best way Apple should have implemented this feature is a key combination, something like, hold the home key and press an icon when you have Safari, Notes, etc. open.

I think that is what should be done for move/delete apps on the home screens too. I can’t tell you how many times I have slipped my iPhone into my pocket unlocked and later found out apps were moved or deleted. Pressing the icon for an extended period to move/delete an app is plain stupid.

• Emily February 28, 2012 at 3:03 am #

Read my comment below

20. Alison January 4, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Stops rotating on everything except the one thing I wanted to stop rotating, Facebook. :S

21. Emily February 28, 2012 at 3:02 am #

For those of you who have iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s all you have to do is be on your home screen unlocked, and hit the home button twice. Then slid your finger across the bottom to the right and then an arrow in a circle will be there. Click on it in portrait position and then there you go it will stay like that!

22. Rykrus March 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

How do you allow the rotate feature again?

23. 3Gs v.3.1.2 Non-JB April 2, 2012 at 9:22 am #

Has anyone invented an app for non-JB 3Gs iPhones still running iOS v.3.1.2 that will let you lock the screen when laying down stretched out in bed?

24. Aik June 29, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Double click the button (the main function key), apps in process will appear … slide all to the right; you’ll see the rotation sign. tap or tap again to lock or unlock :)

25. Stefano Paolo Appliecci October 5, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Yet another jb hack for a function that’s already there by default. When I was a kid, it was only cool to hack the uncool

26. Angehl8 October 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

How funny Simon..there is a simple way to do that..simply double tap the home button menu and click the lock to portrait mode icon button located at the left..that’s it..

• Dylan Atkinson March 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

Thanx. The hacks seemed far from simple tho lots of fun… but in this case I really want to walk through the front door rather than break in through the upstairs toilet window.

1. iPhone Tip: How To Lock Screen Orientation in iOS 4 - iPad – Technology Insured Future - July 1, 2010

[...] I lay in bed to browse web and check my email. Do you have the same problem? A few months, I wrote a post about two great hacks that can disable the auto-screen rotation. But it’s for jailbroken iPhone [...]

2. iPhone Tip: How To Lock Screen Orientation in iOS 4 | Best Ways To Pimp Your Apple iTouch - July 20, 2010

3. Jaibreak and Pimp Your iTouch » iPhone Tip: How To Lock Screen Orientation in iOS 4 - July 22, 2010

4. IBdata – Inge Balswick » Blog Archive » How To Lock Screen Orientation in iOS 4 - November 24, 2010

5. Download WP Themes LinePress v1.3 » GabFire - December 4, 2011

[...] Localization Support Using our online tutorials, you can localize any of our themes within minutesBuilt on latest Gabfire framework, with LinePress, we wanted to harness the look and feel of an onli…into the LinePress back-end as any of our other newspaper themes.[button_round color="red" url=""] [...]