How to Show iPhone Battery Meter in Percentage

Other than those prominent features (e.g. video editing, voice control), iPhone 3GS has come with some minor but nice touches. One of them is the battery percentage switch in Settings that allows you to change the battery life indicator to percentage representation.

I’m sure not all of you are using iPhone 3GS or have any plan for the upgrade. But you probably want to use this precise battery meter to show the battery life on iPhone 2G/3G.

In this post, I’ll walk you through and show how you can change the battery indicator to percentage form. And, don’t worry. This guide is not just designed for iPhone 3GS and it applies to all iPhones (to be exact, jailbroken iPhone).

For iPhone 3GS

1. Go to “Settings”

2. Tap General -> Usage

3. You can easily change the battery indicator to percentage by turning ON the “Battery Percentage” option.

iphone3gs-battery-meter

For other iPhone users

I’m not sure why Apple does not release this minor feature to older version of iPhone. But if you have jailbroken iPhone, you can also change to battery percentage with minor tweak.

Tip: If you haven’t jailbroken your iPhone, you can follow this jailbreak guide for iPhone 3.0 (Windows / Mac).

1. Launch Cydia

2. Search for SBSettings and install it

sbsettings-cydia

3. Once you complete the installation, you can launch SBSettings by swiping across the status bar.

Launch SBSettings

4. Tap “More” button in SBSettings

5. Tap “Extras & Options” and turn ON “Numeric Battery”

sbsettings-moresbsettings-extras

6. Click Home button to go back to home screen and you’ll notice that the battery indicator changes to percentage.

As always, leave me comment and let me know if this works for you.

, ,

61 Responses to How to Show iPhone Battery Meter in Percentage

1. Walter July 4, 2009 at 10:17 am #

I am using a JB 3.0 3G, but I cannot search the SBSettings from Cydia successfully; but some other SBSettingstoggles. Pls advise.

BTW, I did it success when I was in version 2.2 sth.

Pls help.

• Mario September 9, 2012 at 11:38 am #

This Simon guy should not give advice on iPhone tech repair. His advice is basic which does solve any real issues. With that said the advice is taken care of by common sense.

2. davedalus July 5, 2009 at 6:23 pm #

GFreat blog.

On my jailbroken 2.2 I had the numeric battery which took the place of the graphic one. Do you know if there’s any way to hide the graphic one so that there is more room on the status bar (for weather & status icons)?

• Simon Ng July 5, 2009 at 7:24 pm #

@davedalus, seems there is no way to hide the graphic battery icon. If you find one sooner or later, do share with me. Thanks.

3. davedalus July 5, 2009 at 8:17 pm #

thanks for the response, will let you know if I find one.

4. Titus July 12, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

It works well and very impressed.

5. Omaley13 July 14, 2009 at 5:03 am #

very nice, tks

6. Jedi July 17, 2009 at 2:54 am #

i have 2.2.1 jailbroken. it worked for me before but now when i toggle it it just shows the number with no percentage symbol or battery icon what happened. or how can i fix it to be percentage symbol, number and icon.

7. Jason July 19, 2009 at 1:39 am #

thanks man. works like a charm

8. davedalus August 13, 2009 at 1:45 am #

Hi Simon, quick update on this. Modmyi have just released a tweak called ‘battery control’. Once installed, it puts a new menu in settings, where the battery percentage and image can both be toggled on/off. It isn’t the touch control we had before to switch between the two, but it does free up the statusbar for weather, RAM etc.

hth.

• Simon Ng August 13, 2009 at 10:11 am #

@davedalus, thanks for your sharing! I will post your tip very soon.

9. roger c. October 7, 2009 at 11:54 pm #

The post is “RIGHT ON”. I have an iPhone 2G with firmware 3.0, I intalled SBSetting and after that was a walk in the park.
    Thank you, Simon.

10. David D November 16, 2009 at 10:28 am #

Works great! Thanks!

11. Dagner November 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm #

Thanks so much that was awesome!!!!

12. jim December 28, 2009 at 1:37 pm #

works great, thanks

13. Dom January 4, 2010 at 12:35 am #

Great lil tweakl, First thing i installed after a JB very useful

14. Steph January 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

THANK YOU I was looking everywhere for the battery percentage switch and it was staring me in the face.

15. danny January 19, 2010 at 5:46 am #

this worked great, but my batter bar now stays full while only my percentage diminishes. is there a way that both the percentage and the bar diminishes at the same rate? i have 3gs. thanks

16. Tara January 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm #

Im actually having trouble. It’s not opening when i slide across the status bar.

17. iDouche February 4, 2010 at 9:14 pm #

Newly cracked 2G firmware 3.1.3, worked perfect. Thanks!

18. sodolopo May 11, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

FINALLY thank you so much. awesome.

19. cecileva June 4, 2010 at 5:28 am #

Yay, I have an iPhone 3GS and was starting to fart around with Cydia, looking for the app that would allow this, but all I had to do was Google the subject and I came across your great blog. Thanks for the tip, and for saving my time….kudos!

20. Roberto June 15, 2010 at 1:23 am #

I am from Brazil, Ok. Very good, perfect.

Thak’s

Roberto

21. RaviraJ June 28, 2010 at 4:03 pm #

hey budy u wana battrey % in u r iphone 3G this is it

1st install iphone-notes.de0-2_iPhone-Notes.de’s Source

than

2nd install asBattery

all 1st and 2nd option u get in cydia
    and then reboot ur iphone 3G when itz swich on go to setting->usage = here ur option tap to on…. :)

and u r get bored to sarch just email me on my id i’ll get u thos all software
    my email id is [email protected]

and then

22. RaviraJ June 28, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

i’ll send u this two software on u r email id….. :) and n e problem just mail me. :)

23. Muna July 7, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

Cool..It worked

24. YD July 18, 2010 at 9:02 am #

hey, i have i phone 3.0 fw 3.1.3
    sbsettings v3.1.0
    when i click on “more” i have no option for “Extras & Options”
    iver searched every option and i still can’t find the numeric battery meter.
    any ideas?

25. RaviraJ July 18, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

@ YD i know the problem is in sbsetting if u hav no need sbsetting
    remove the sbsetting then
    and 1st install – iphone-notes.de0-2_iPhone-Notes.de’s Source
    u find got this both software in cydia and then 2nd install – asBattery
    if u have i’ll send u this software..just mail me u have or not

26. My Fun Gang July 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm #

works like charm :)

27. Firu August 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm #

I cant lauch the application! Can u pls help me!

• Simon Ng August 15, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

@Firu, what version of iPhone OS are you using?

28. RaviraJ August 16, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

@Firu dude itz not a application it’s just option.

go to Menu -> Setting -> General -> Usage there your option for “Battery Percentage”

29. Devlin October 18, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

Thank you so much, this really helps me!

30. jash October 26, 2010 at 11:15 am #

hi i have the iphone 3g was jailbroken but i have 4.01 and that option does nt show in the general – usage percentage ? how do i get it working

• RaviraJ November 5, 2010 at 11:15 am #

jailbrak it agen……..its work fine…..

31. mark October 29, 2010 at 8:52 am #

why i swipe across the status bar nothing happens.

• RaviraJ November 5, 2010 at 11:17 am #

hi mark can you restart springbord …….

32. Drawed November 17, 2010 at 6:32 am #

@YD and Firu

once downloaded, Go to sys option, you will see the “NUMERIC BATTERY”, turn it on, TIA!

33. Zex December 16, 2010 at 11:38 am #

I had downloaded it and it really works on jailbreak iphone 3G . Thanks alot!!! ^_^

34. Guilherme December 21, 2010 at 4:38 am #

Just got a 16gb jailbroken 3G, and this works smoothly! Thanks

35. mefol January 11, 2011 at 2:39 am #

ok i downloaded the SBSettings when i clicked on “more” and it brought up a list but extras and options was not on there..
    what do i do? or need to download to get the battery percentage?

• court January 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

it probably shows up at “system options” you can tell that the icons next to where extra and options are the same as system options

36. Court January 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

this worked great for me on my unlocked iphone!!thanks

37. iphone batteries March 15, 2011 at 10:17 am #

3GJuice Black 2.0 1800 mAh 2A DeLuxe Version iPhone iPod Battery Charger
    Product By 3GJUICE
    Buy 3GJuice Black 2.0 1800 mAh 2A DeLuxe Version iPhone iPod Battery Charger Ship with Fast and Save Shipping. Order Now Before Price Up.

iphonebatterys.com

38. patrick March 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

Got it!!thanks again.

39. mary April 14, 2011 at 12:23 am #

Thank you so much! i got it!

40. xiomara ortiz June 12, 2011 at 4:13 am #

excellent app does exactly as it says and much much more

41. floyd July 10, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

good job like this page really help job welldone

42. Cody September 7, 2011 at 11:56 pm #

If you have Ifile or open ssh with winscp , this method is way better than any of the other options , its the official one from apple just hacked onto it by as simple as adding this under

System/Library/springboard.app/* (look Below for your model) And adding this
    (gas-gauge-battery
    ) under the delay-sleep-for-headset one

make sure that you hit enter before the true part ….. im confused because i added mine uner M68AP.plist but it saved under N82AP.plist (For iphone 3g)so i would try wither one of those for iphone 3g

but if your on another device add it under this one

************M68AP.plist (iPhone 2G), N82AP.plist (iPhone 3G), N45AP.plist (1st-generation iPod touch), or N72AP.plist (2nd-generation iPod touch).

if it says malformed line or something like that try it the other .plist that has the same icon ( M68AP N82A ,,thers always other options ones like the official one and one i think is like for jailbreak or something ,,, but idk .

EMail me if you have any problems:

[email protected]

43. salam October 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks for helping me.
    ios 3.1.3 is best for iphone 3g

44. downloadble movies December 22, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be at the net the simplest thing to remember of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people consider worries that they just don’t understand about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest and also outlined out the whole thing without having side effect , folks can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thank you

45. Jasmine March 31, 2012 at 12:07 am #

Worked great thanks :)

46. Boazizi November 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Thanks man. I have lost the numerical battery percentage for years. But it just worked.

47. Hamad April 6, 2013 at 10:45 pm #

48. aviator June 23, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Thank you Simon, I have had a successfull day at resurrecting my iphone.

49. Anurag December 11, 2013 at 12:42 am #

Thanks a ton bro !!!

50. http://Fave.li/5vd September 5, 2014 at 7:34 am #

Edward Fujimoto (manager of the Wellness Program) at the
    Castle hospital on a TV program where he explained this health hazard.
    It has up to 99 minute long grilling time for preparation of a
    variety food items. s your first time to cook outside with your Dutch oven.

51. Mira September 12, 2014 at 2:55 am #

Both people should have formal dress watches. Being a company with technologically advanced digital technologies used calculators, Casio arrived
    to this industry positive that it would create designer watches that could lead the marketplace.
    Today the G-Shock range is split into 5 main ranges,
    the Classic series, the Giez series, the Limited Series, the Master of G series, along with the MTG series.

1. You are now listed on FAQPAL - June 22, 2010

How to Show iPhone Battery Meter in Percentage…

In this post, I’ll walk you through and show how you can change the battery indicator to percentage form. And, don’t worry. This guide is not just designed for iPhone 3GS and it applies to all iPhones (to be exact, jailbroken iPhone)….

2. Show Battery Percentage Iphone | iPhone More - October 14, 2014

[…] How to Show iPhone Battery Meter in Percentage | The … – Jul 04, 2009 · Other than those prominent features (e.g. video editing, voice control), iPhone 3GS has come with some minor but nice touches. One of them is the battery …… […]

3. Battery Percentage Iphone 5 Setting Battery Percentage Iphone 5 Setting sitename%% - October 22, 2014

[…] How to show iphone battery meter in percentage | the […]