If you have read about the post “Which iPhone 3.0 features are for your iPhone?“, you should know that MMS is not available for iPhone 2G. I love Apple and iPhone but it’s ridiculous that a technologically advanced mobile phone does not come with this common feature that you can easily find on any mobiles from Nokia or Samsung.
Luckily, some iPhone enthusiasts have developed a hack to enable MMS on iPhone 3.0 for iPhone 2G. As always, this hack is only applicable to those with jailbroken iPhones.
So, how do you bring MMS ability to iPhone 2G?
Follow these Procedures to Enable MMS
Before you perform the below procedures, make sure you have already upgraded to iPhone 3.0 and jailbreak it. Let me emphasize again. This hack is only applicable to iPhone 3.0. If you’re using lower version, please don’t use this hack. Otherwise, it may harm your iPhone.
Note: Please ensure your carrier supports MMS. As far as I know, MMS will not be available for AT&T users until late summer. Also, you may be charged extra for sending MMS. Please further consult your carrier for information.
1. Launch Cydia
2. Search for ActivateMMS2G
3. Click “Install” and then tap “Confirm” to confirm the installation.
4. Be patient. Wait until the installation completes. Then tap on “Reboot Device” to restart your iPhone.
5. After restarted, go to Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network. You should notice a new MMS setting appears. Fill in the values.
Note: For the MMS setting, please consult your carrier. Say, for T-mobile US user, you can check out the information here. You have to fill in values before you can enable MMS.
6. Tap “Network” to go back and then click Home button to go back to home screen
7. Power off your iPhone and switch it on again
8. Once booted up, launch Messages application and you should see a new “camera” icon appeared. Now, you can tap on the icon, select the photo to embed in the message and send it out.
Enjoy the MMS feature on your iPhone 2G! As always, feel free to leave me comment and share your experience on the feature.