This is a great news for all iPhone 3G users and a Big Thanks to the great team.
iPhone Dev Team has just announced the release of Ultrasn0w to unlock iPhone 3G on firmware 3.0. Yesterday, I’ve mentioned in this post that you should hold off the upgrade to firmware 3.0 for iPhone 3G users. Now, I have to say you’re ready to upgrade to the latest version of iPhone OS and you got a soft-unlock solution (i.e. ultrasn0w) that can handle iPhone 3.0 with baseband 4.26.08.
If you have used yellowsn0w to unlock your iPhone 3G on firmware 2.2 before, ultrasn0w should be familiar to you. Ultrasn0w is simply a replacement of yellowsn0w and it works on iPhone 3.0 OS.
To use ultrasn0w to unlock iPhone 3G on firmware 3.0, please follow these procedures:
1. Upgrade your iPhone 3G to iPhone OS 3.0 (or what so called firmware 3.0)
2. Use PwnageTool or redsn0w to jailbreak your iPhone 3G
3. Launch Cydia on iPhone and add “http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com” as the new repository URL. You can simply tap “Manage” -> “Sources” -> “Edit” -> “Add” to add the repository URL.
4. Then tap “Search” and search for “ultrasn0w” application
5. Install “ultrasn0w”
6. Reboot your iPhone 3G after installing ultrasn0w and enjoy!
Note for T-mobile USA user: Please ensure you disable 3G service before installing ultrasn0w.
As you may know, the previous unlock solution (i.e. yellowsn0w) will only work on baseband 2.28.00. And for those using baseband 2.30.00, the only solution is to downgrade the baseband (but this workaround only works on bootloader 5.08).
So, how about ultrasn0w? Can it work with my iPhone 3G with baseband 2.30?
Ultrasn0w doesn’t matter the version of bootloader you’re using. As long as you’ve upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0 with baseband 4.26.08. It will work for you. Cool, right? I know you may have been waiting for this unlock solution for months. Now, it’s here.
I will soon post up a complete guide for unlock iPhone 3G on iPhone 3.0 OS. Please stay tuned.
Founder, developer and chief blogger of simonblog.com