iPhone Jailbreak for Beginner #1 – How to use Cydia

Last time, I mentioned I will write up a series of blog posts for jailbreak beginner to answer the question – What’s next after you jailbreak the iPhone? This is the 1st article for jailbreak beginner series that helps you unleash the power of jailbreak iPhone.

Cydia is the 1st Stop after Jailbreak

With iPhone Jailbreak, Cydia will be the first application you need to know and start with. One of top reasons to jailbreak iPhone is to enpower it to install third-party applications. And, Cydia, developed by Jay Freeman, is the heart of all. You may consider Cydia as the App Store for jailbreak iPhone, that lets you download and install third-party applications on iPhone.

Why Cydia and 3rd-Party applications?

As you know, since the release of firmware 2.0, Apple enables every iPhone with the game-changing App Store. Developers can put up application on App Store for every iPhone user to download. Okay then, what’s the point to have Cydia? The short answer is not every application can get through Apple’s approval process and appear in App Store. A very good example is NetShare, which tries to turn iPhone 3G into a wireless modem, that was banned by Apple for some reasons. Cydia is here to fill the gap and lets you download other 3rd party applications that you probably can’t find on App Store.

Launching Cydia for the very first time

Cydia is very easy to use and manage. If you know how to use App Store, you’ll have no difficulties with Cydia. The first time you launch Cydia, you’ll be asked to select the type of filter:

1. User (Graphical Only)
  2. Hacker (+Command Line)
  3. Developer (No filter)

For normal user, you can just set the filter to “User”. With this setting, Cydia will filter out those applications which you’re not interested.

Followed by the filter setting, you may be prompted to upgrade some essential packages. Just go ahead to upgrade it. This makes sure you’re using the latest version of Cydia.

A Glance at Cydia

Okay, now you should be in Cydia. Let’s have a quick glance at Cydia interface. Cydia offers an intuitive interface for you to manage application packages:

Home – The home screen shows the latest news of Cydia. You’ll also find featured packages, sources information, user guide and other developer-related information here.

Section – You can find all the available applications for download here. Application packages are organized into specific categories.

Changes – What’s the new application just released on Cydia? “Changes” shows you the latest release available and also alerts you for any application upgrade.

Manage – Keep track with all the installed package. You can use “Manage” to upgrade / uninstall packages. Also, it is the place to add / remove Cydia source (will cover more later on).

Search – Search for application in Cydia

How to install an application in Cydia

So, how do you install an application in Cydia? Pretty straightforward.

1. First, locate the application package. Say, MxTube in featured application.
  2. Just tap “Install” button and then tap “Confirm” to confirm the installation
  3. And Cydia then download the package & install it automatically.

Yes, it’s so simple.

How to upgrade / uninstall an application in Cydia

As said, all installed packages can be found under “Manage”. To upgrade / uninstall an application,

1. Tap “Manage” and then “Packages”.
  2. Select the package you want to uninstall or upgrade.
  3. Tap “Modify” and then “Remove” to uninstall the application package. If an upgrade is available, Cydia will also show you with an “Upgrade” option. Just tap on to upgrade the application.

How to add repository source in Cydia

Application in Cydia are hosted by different repositories. From time to time, you may add new repository into Cydia. Say, you find a new repository URL (e.g. http://ispaziorepo.com/cydia/apt) which provides great iPhone themes. And you want to install those themes. To make those applications available in Cydia, you have to install the repository first.

As long as you know the repository URL, add a new repository is very straightforward.

1. Tap “Manage”
  2. Then tap “Source”
  3. Tap “Edit” and then “Add”
  4. Type the repository URL and tap “Add Source”

That’s it. Cydia will then look up the URL and retrieve any applications available from the new repository.

Cydia, by default, comes with a list of package sources (i.e. repository). You can find them in the Home screen of Cydia. Just tap on anyone of them and install.

That’s pretty much I want to cover for Cydia. Go ahead and enjoy Cydia. Don’t forget to download Cycorder that powers your iPhone with Video Recorder.

, ,

140 Responses to iPhone Jailbreak for Beginner #1 – How to use Cydia

1. Rik December 13, 2008 at 5:49 am #

Hello,

1. I have an iPhone 3G sim free legally and system 2.2. Should I download as well, when wanting to jailbreak my iPhone, the component:
    2.2.0 (3G): iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw

2. And the last one. My iphone was legally simfree in France. I updated the system via iTunes to 2.2.

When Apple will release the 2.3 version. Will I be able to update it via iTunes if my iPhone is jailbroken?

2. Bill December 13, 2008 at 8:16 am #

Is Cydia for Windows too?

• rando February 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

no you dumbass it’s for iPhone

• mhil July 5, 2011 at 10:21 am #

hey rando chillax, bill’s just asking. Well thanks for all the information this site really helped me a lot..

• sean January 17, 2012 at 11:58 am #

rando you dumbass i think bill got his answer before feburary 21, 2010 when he asked it like 5 years ago

3. Simon Ng December 13, 2008 at 11:38 pm #

Rik,

If you want to jailbreak iPhone 3G, you can check out this post for detailed information. And, for your 2nd question, when you upgrade to iPhone 2.3 in future, you’ll have to jailbreak your iPhone again. That’s required as Apple’s firmware upgrade will make the existing jailbreak obsolete.

4. joegrip1 December 15, 2008 at 1:10 pm #

I used your instructions for the jailbreak and unlock (2G), it worked fine…. but when I put in someone else’s sim card to check the unlock it came up with a message; sim card not recognised connect to itunes. Is the phone not unlocked? Do I have to ‘activate’ on itunes with every different sim?

5. kleo December 18, 2008 at 2:11 am #

quickpwn it again…
    that happened to me too. it did not unlock the 1st 2 times…

6. Chris January 3, 2009 at 3:16 am #

is there a way to get cydia without a computer?

7. Simon Ng January 3, 2009 at 5:04 pm #

@Chris,

No, you need to jailbreak iPhone using QuickPwn / PwnageTool on either Windows or Mac.

• rando February 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

JAILBREAKME.COM DICKHEAD

8. Theo January 3, 2009 at 6:30 pm #

i know this must seem really stupid but when i first started i accepted the 4 essential upgrades and then cancelled it because it was taking too long and now i dont now how to get onto the cydia main screen im just stuck in the welcome to cydia bit

9. NisB February 4, 2009 at 11:36 pm #

Let me brief you first, I am using, I guess, unlocked/jailbroken iPhone 3G. On the day I baught it, I updated it through iTunes and it went onto the ‘Emergency Call’ mode and also said that Insert the valid Sim Card. It was unlocked/opened by a shopkeeper thus don’t know how and by which tools. Now, I came to know about various methods to use firmware updates without getting the phone locked by iTunes.

I tried to restore and update through iTunes by clicking Shift Key and selecting the fiemware 2.2 (I downloaded it) but in both try a msg came that iTunes can’t do it. At the same time on the screen of my phone a Penguin comes and ‘iPhoneLinux.org’ is written below.

Thanks to QuickPwn 2.2-1 which said click and hold the Sleep & Home button for 15 sec and the phone started again as usual.

Now, with all this information, can you guide me to update/upgrade my phone to 2.2 where I also can use any GSM SIM and add any application (Is it unlock and jailbreak?).

In the system the Version is 2.0.2 (5C1) & Modem Firmware is 04.05.04_G

Please help me!!!

NisB

10. joline February 25, 2009 at 10:04 pm #

i have a question. how do i jailbreak my iphone? please tell me. im having a hard time. :(

11. jonny May 14, 2009 at 1:33 am #

gotta question on jailbreaking the iphone firmware 2.3 is there any wat of jailbreaking it?

12. Jborichef May 26, 2009 at 5:27 am #

After jailbreaking my ipod touch 2g with redsn0w, i got Cydia, so then i try installing apps and it tells me i don’t have enough sources or packages or anything. Can any1 help me plz???

Thanks in advance

• Helpdesk July 13, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

It sounds like a missed step, that which is most probably when you forgot to update cydia.

13. ankit June 26, 2009 at 10:16 am #

i just upgrade my ipod touch 2g firmware 3.0 & jailbreak it by using redsnow 0.7.1;i dont have wifii conxn on my ipod …so pls help me how to install themes & applications on my ipod touch though i have cydia on my ipod touch!! pls help..

14. janersa July 29, 2009 at 5:29 pm #

umm i was told that this site was supposed to tell me exactly how to install free apps after u have jailbroken an ipod touch, ive got the jailbroken ipod ive got “Cydia” and “installer” but no one has told me how to actually install apps

15. Simon Ng July 29, 2009 at 11:28 pm #

@janersa, you can refer to “How to install an application in Cydia” section in this post to learn about how you can install cydia app. Let me know if you need further help.

• sheetal October 6, 2009 at 7:30 pm #

Hi, Can you please help me know where will the themes I download from cydia will get stored. I downloaded couple of themes but not able to find it now!!!

16. abdullah August 8, 2009 at 8:50 pm #

what shouldn’t i do on itunes after i jailbrake my iphone 3g?

• Simon Ng August 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm #

@abdullah, here are the couple of things you need to take note:

1. Do not restore your iPhone. Otherwise, you’ll need to jailbreak again.
      2. Suggest to turn off auto-upgrade. Do not upgrade to the latest firmware even iTunes prompts you to upgrade. For your information, the latest version of firmware that can be jailbroken is 3.0.1.

• lee March 10, 2011 at 1:12 am #

i just jailbroke mine firmware 4.2.1

• Abu Jubaira October 4, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

is it risky if i restore my jail break iphone and upgrade its ios version…

17. chris August 15, 2009 at 3:12 pm #

I am so new to this. I don’t really understand much of this at all. But I did just download iREALsms from Cydia. And it worked, it’s on the menu thing. But.. when I open it, it’s just black for about 1-2 seconds then it returns to all my apps again. Help? What am I doing wrong?

18. Bear85 September 8, 2009 at 7:34 pm #

I was just wondering, I have an app I have seperately downloaded onto my PC – how can I get that onto my iPhone as iTunes gives me an error…
    Any help would be greatfully appreciated…I am jailbroken and have Cydia :-)
    Bear

• Simon Ng September 8, 2009 at 11:57 pm #

@Bear85, what kind of app did you download? cydia app or iPhone app from App Store?

• johanna April 28, 2010 at 9:17 am #

hi i also have 3rd party applications downloaded by torrents (iphone apps but not from iphone store nor cydia, just downloaded from torrent sites), i save it on my itunes app page, but then when i sync it, it gives me an error message.

I hope someone can help me.. :) thanks!

I have jailbroken my phone with cydia.. its 2g version 3.1.3.. thanks!!

• rando February 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

install ‘appsync for 3.1.3′ from cydia (without the quotes) and see what happens

19. me108 September 22, 2009 at 4:27 am #

how do i download the app??

• Simon Ng September 22, 2009 at 6:47 am #

@me108, just follow the above steps to download cydia app. Or you can launch App Store to download other iPhone applications.

20. simon September 23, 2009 at 1:12 am #

i have a jailbreaken phone, each time i click on cydia, it shows up loading data and then closes, im also on o2, would that make a diffents and y is it closing on me??

21. jun October 2, 2009 at 10:13 am #

pls help..
    “How to install an application in Cydia”
    my ipod touch In the system the Version is 2.2.1
    because in my ipod touch to not have “installer” software
    Can help me plz…

22. jun October 7, 2009 at 11:24 am #

pls help…
    I have an app cydia zip software download on my PC! but how to take cydia folder put in my ipod touch? thanks you.

23. Daniel Syoum November 11, 2009 at 5:45 am #

can anybody tell me how to redo jailbrake on my iphnoe 3G 3.2.1(7D11)
    I did jailbreak the first time and I can’t dowload ayn application through cydia
    I am not familiar for this stuff I do not even know if the phone is unlocked properly

you help will be appreciated

24. Daniel Syoum November 11, 2009 at 5:48 am #

can anybody tell me how to redo jailbreak on my iphnoe 3G 3.2.1(7D11)
    I did jailbreak the first time and I can’t download ayn application through cydia

you help will be appreciated

• Simon Ng November 12, 2009 at 12:33 am #

@Daniel, you can use blackra1n to jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.2. Here is the guide.

25. vick November 26, 2009 at 3:58 pm #

why I cannot download the cydia apps, it’s written :” size mismatch”, do u have any idea regarding this problem? please help me….thank u

• rando February 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

reboot and try again

26. ABCguy December 22, 2009 at 6:46 am #

Does it cost money for the apps on Cydia?

• Simon Ng December 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

@ABCguy, most cydia apps are free. But some in cydia store do cost money.

27. Dominick December 26, 2009 at 2:43 am #

Hi, i jailbroke my itouch and i installed a bunch of wallpapers and themes, etc. but after i install them theyre there when i “manage” but they dont show up on my springboard, how do i get them to work after i install them???

• rando February 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

use an app called ‘winterboard’

28. Phil January 20, 2010 at 5:23 pm #

HI, my jailbreak worked but cydia keeps giving me an error when loading. states unable to load, timed out. can someone help?

29. Karasnak January 22, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

I used blackra1n to jailbreak my iPod. Is this going to make a difference?

30. [email protected] February 1, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

I used blackra1n to jailbreak my iPod it works great but i dont know how it is on 3.1.2 cause myn is custum 4.2.1

• rando February 21, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

that is some fucked up shit

31. Phil February 1, 2010 at 3:02 pm #

After jailbreaking my Iphone my computer or Itunes won’t recognize my phone. I can’t ad new music or anything else. Any advise? Thanks

32. Amanda Sacra March 18, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

I have an unlocked and jailbroken i phone. i activated today with t mobile it say thats the sim different? so how do i go about this?

33. Amanda Sacra March 18, 2010 at 12:21 pm #

The phone is a 1 gen, i dont know if that helps. im new to all this.

34. jason April 6, 2010 at 11:06 pm #

dominick is that you
    any way i still dont get it how to jail break

35. Mani April 15, 2010 at 8:00 pm #

My Iphone is jailbroken and working fine, I know that a new version, Iphone 4.0 is coming out, how do I turn off auto-upgrade in my phone, if it is not already off?

• rando February 21, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

there’s no such thing dipshit

• John Lennon March 3, 2011 at 11:35 am #

hahaha rando!! all your comments make me laugh!

36. JV April 16, 2010 at 5:30 am #

I jailbroke my phone using the shift update method via iTunes. But I didn’t get Cydia. Is there anyway to add it without going thru redsn0w?

37. johanna April 28, 2010 at 9:18 am #

I hope someone can help me.. :) thanks!

I have jailbroken my phone with cydia.. its 2g version 3.1.3.. thanks!!

38. AngMad May 6, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

So i had a friend unlock my 3G iphone. when i try to download an app from cydia it says 0.0 bytes in the disk usage part. it downoads the application but i can’t find the icon on my home screen. Help!

39. Franko May 9, 2010 at 8:21 am #

Installed Jailbreak – I wish to added some download applications now on my hardrive to iPhone. I have placed them in the iTunes etc correct directory but iTunes continues to receive error messages when sync. To some this issue might be rather ‘grade schoolism’ but it is a problem for me. Anyone who can help me?

40. katy June 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

i cant upgrade my cydia it always says “POSIX: operation timed out”. help what will i do with this one. any help will be appreciated.thanks alot :)

• Simon Ng June 3, 2010 at 12:51 am #

@katy,

Just try again. Are you using WiFi or 3G to upgrade the cydia app? Please try again over WiFi network.

41. mzLeen June 20, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

After downloading cydia, all my photos on my iPhone got deleted…what can i do to get them back?

42. Joleen June 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm #

I live in South Afica and had the Cydia crack installed on my phone. When I connected to Itunes, I downloaded the latest update and it caused my phone to crash and to automatically restore through Itunes. Unfortunately when I connect my phone now to Itunes, I receive a message that says my SIM card is not compatable with this iPhone. Any advice please, all my appointments and contacts were on my phone?

43. Sanjay June 27, 2010 at 7:24 pm #

I get an upgrade option when I access cydia …. Should I upgrade it.. Will it get locked if I do that

44. Zexxal July 9, 2010 at 2:42 am #

LMAO – I finally said the hell with it and Jailbreak mine, I used Spirit for 3.1.2 and talk about a Totally Freakin Awesome process. BAM… 5 seconds and it was done! Plus Cydia was loaded up automatically for me. How frigin sweet it that!.

A BIG Thanks to all of you who kick ass and give us this totally awesome shit.

Peace V….

45. J-NOJ July 23, 2010 at 10:11 am #

I have installed Cydia using spirit. After a day of using it, Cydia will not open it. I can click on it but it seems to keep timing out after about 3-5 secs. I have tried to restore and also jailbreak it again. Can someone please help me with this prob?

46. Keviwevy August 9, 2010 at 5:02 am #

Can i install normal apps like doodle jump on cydia?

• Simon Ng August 10, 2010 at 1:34 am #

@Keviwevy,

Doodle jump is available on App Store only.

47. zelda August 11, 2010 at 11:18 pm #

I have installed cydia and i have added xsellize and hackulo sources but when i want to install apps on my iPod with iTunes i receive an error (0xE8008001)
    what should i do ? dont forget i have no internet connection !

48. kirsty August 23, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

i have jailbroken my iphone 3gs and i have cydia on the phone however i tried to download a betty boop sms ringtone however i cannot work out how to use it as my sms tone!! pls help

49. croftom September 9, 2010 at 12:09 am #

uuuuuh… how do i actually download games from cydia and not the crappy games like the ones u have to purchase on the app store

50. kasithamby September 28, 2010 at 2:20 am #

kakjhg

51. hatem October 6, 2010 at 9:18 pm #

but i heared that it will prevent you from using itunes is that right?
    if yes and there is no solution: thank you
    if yes but there is a solution: say it to me and thanks thanks thanks
    if no: so also thanks

• Simon Ng October 7, 2010 at 9:42 am #

@hatem,

Jailbreaking won’t prevent you from using iTunes. The jailbroken iPhone can work as normal and sync with iTunes. But for cydia apps, they will not be sync to iTunes.

52. raaz October 12, 2010 at 3:59 am #

im using iphone 3g and when i used to open cydia i used to get upgrading notification, i upgraded more than 2 times but now im getting “upgrading to 4.0.2?read this” this type of message in brown colour.so should i upgrade it again or not?can any1 help me to fix this problem?plz i think it will crack my ipone,plz help me?

53. Chelsey October 27, 2010 at 11:32 am #

under the How to install an application in Cydia
    its supposed to say return to cydia after you install the app but mine says reboot ?? why is that?

54. Adil November 19, 2010 at 9:58 am #

i’ve already download jailbreak for my itouch 2G but i don’t know how to use it. can anyone help me??

55. Dylan December 4, 2010 at 11:00 am #

hey i have an ipod 2G and i dont have itunes on my computer and i dont have 2.2.1 firmware so how do i download new firmware if i dont have itunes please help me

56. llui December 13, 2010 at 1:13 am #

Hello,
    I tried downloading cydia on my Iphone, my prob is, the cydia pineapple isn’t appearing. It only say’s done.But where’s the pineapple-cydia.Wat will I do. Pls somebody help me.

Thanks.

57. didal December 15, 2010 at 3:50 am #

i restore my iphone 2G to 3.1.3 and now am stuck on emergency mode how can i unlock it to access my menu tanks pls help

58. Roddy December 17, 2010 at 1:47 am #

Hi i paid to get my iphone 3gs unlocked 4.1 and the shop dude told me not to let it power down so obviously i did my best to not let it turn off woke up this morning and it had ran out of battery, they had used cydia to jailbreak it now my phone is just showing the apple icon when powering up and remaining on this do you have solution? bit stuck, infact very fucking stuck would be muchly appricated as i am in new zealand and can do with the phone to keep me on the net etc

cheers

• Simon Ng December 17, 2010 at 11:58 pm #

@Roddy,

You’ll need to jailbreak your iPhone again. Try to download the iOS 4.1 firmware (3GS) from here and restore your iPhone using iTunes. Then you can jailbreak again by following this guide.

Let me know if it works for you.

59. Momo January 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks for the Info. I also made one post which is slightly different at – http://iphonefuze.com/2011/01/01/how-to-use-cydia-the-jailbreakers-app-store/

60. SteveG January 27, 2011 at 10:32 am #

Thanks for the guide, its really helpful. It really made my life easier.

61. StefL April 12, 2011 at 9:19 am #

I’ve already finished the jailbreak for my iPod 3G (4.3.1) and I’ve learnt that I need to install the MobileInstall Patch or App Sync 3.0 from Cydia in order to add cracked apps, but I can’t find either. Can anyone help me please?

62. Manoj April 18, 2011 at 2:30 am #

I’m using 3gs n I jb it n I wanna knw hw to use cydia effectively!!
    N hw to mke icons to scroll up n dwn lik I wanna mke use Of cydia pls hlp me!!!

63. shyam April 21, 2011 at 12:18 am #

hey, ‘m usin i phone but dunno how to upload songs frm ma pc…plz help me…

64. Rabbi May 9, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

hey i hav my i touch 32gb…. i accidently updated my os to 4.3.2 can i jailbreak it nw that to for free ??

65. Bee May 11, 2011 at 8:08 pm #

I have a jail broken and unloked iphone 3gs running on version 4.1 and firmware 06.15.00. i was not to upgrade the firmware as it will become locked again. Is it safe for me to use cydia and run those essential updates when it starts. Am scared of doing something that might lock my phone. what must I do and not do when using cydia?

66. Sam May 26, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Hi, I jailbreak my phone and install cydia. Works fine for couple month, than all of a sudden can’t find cydia icon. Do I have to jailbreak again and download cydia? Please help!

• Simon Ng May 27, 2011 at 1:04 am #

@Sam, did you upgrade the iOS? Every time you upgrade the iPhone, you have to jailbreak again in order to install the cydia.

• Abu Jubair October 4, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

How will i upgrade my jailroken iphone 3g to 4.2 as ny iphones ios is 2.2 or can i play all higher games using cydia by not upgrading my iphone 3g..

67. Ressa July 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

jailbroken already, the phone hang. tried the hard reset but it stays with the apple and black background after a few minutes it flashes and the little circle comes on like it’s powering down and it goes back to the apple.anyone please help me!!! im getting annoyed with this thing

68. Heidi July 24, 2011 at 1:01 am #

Hi, I’m hoping someone here can help me. I recently jailbroke my iPhone 4, am using Cydia, & have 2 problems I can’t seem to fix.
    First, when I tap the Phone button to make a call, I can’t dial a number using the keypad because when I try to select my keypad, it immediately jumps out of Phone mode back to the home screen & I never get so much as a glimpse of the keypad.
    Second, my contacts are invisible. They haven’t been deleted because if I do a search for a contact, I get a blank line under the correct letter of the alphabet with a left facing arrow indicating it’s found the contact & to tap the line to get all the info since it would usually show the contact name only & you’d have to tap to get the rest of the info (the gray tabs & letters that separate contacts are also visible). Once I tap the line to get the info, everything shows as normal. In fact, I can tap any line and get the info that’s on that line, I’m just not able to see what info I’m going to be viewing ahead of time since the contact lines are ‘blank’. I AM able to view the list of names/contacts in ‘My Favorites’, and in my ‘Recent Calls’ and also in ‘Voicemail’.
    These are two fairly big issues, esp not being able to access my keypad to dial out. Obviously I can & have gotten around it by adding the # to my contacts & then searching my Invisible Contacts, but it’s getting a bit ridiculous.
    I want to have the freedom to do what I want with my iPhone, but i’m just like everyone else

69. Heidi July 24, 2011 at 1:25 am #

Ooops!!! I accidentally posted without finishing my last sentence!
    What I meant to say was, I want to be able to do what I want with my iPhone & not be restricted by Apple. I admit i’m new to this jailbreak stuff, but I know I can figure it out if I can find the right place out there for technical help or help for those of us who are new to this type of thing but eager to learn.
    I guess what i’m dreading with my issues is that I’m gonna end up having to UN-jailbreak my iPhone to correct them. Aargh!
    ****ONE LAST THING ~ While trying to fix it myself last night, my iPhone somehow ended up in “SAFE MODE”. DON’T ASK ME HOW, CUZ I DON’T KNOW! But when it was in “SAFE MODE”, MY KEYPAD/DIALER WAS WORKING!! AND ALL MY CONTACTS WERE VISIBLE AND WORKING JUST LIKE NORMAL!!
    But the second it was out of “SAFE MODE” it was back to being all screwed up. I hope this might help someone help me with what to do. I would be SO APPRECIATIVE to ANYONE who can help me w/o having to UN-jailbreak my phone! THANKS!
    ~*Ü*~Heidi~*Ü*~

70. dthtrp80 July 31, 2011 at 7:58 am #

I was wanting to know if there was something on Cydia to help with my phone’s calling quality. I have a jailbroken phone that I purchased this way at first the voice quality on the phone was fine but know I’m getting complaints about my voice sonding “transformer” like. Any suggestions?

71. Ren August 14, 2011 at 6:44 am #

hi am new to the jailbreak thing. I have an Iphone 3gs, I would go and download an app and sometimes it takes me to the Apple App store. If I download it from the app store when it takes me there would i have to pay?

72. DSB September 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Rando, your a rude ass!

• Kitty too September 2, 2012 at 5:07 am #

And rando, it is now 2012, I’m quite sure that you don’t know everything, chill out, go sit down somewhere, and shut the hell up!

73. Ewout September 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

I’m also mee to this.
    À classmate said that i had to download installous, but i dont know how.
    Can anyone help me please?
    Thanks ;)

74. LewisH9 September 25, 2011 at 9:52 am #

This damn Jailbreak fucked the shit out of my new goddamn iPhone 3G!!!!!!!!!! Use acid rain, its 10000000 times beter!!!!!!!

75. Pete Uh October 4, 2011 at 1:08 am #

Hey I was wondering if cydia has the latest jailbreak for version 4.2.10?

76. arjun October 12, 2011 at 11:50 pm #

my sim isn’t working in my iphone 3gs !!
    please help

77. NeonLightsXD October 27, 2011 at 11:01 am #

i did everything i was supposed to. ive looked up tutorials, EVERYWHERE, i posted a yahoo answers question. after i do all this, the apps i downloaded wont work. only the ones from cydia. but i can still use certain addons. but not all. i got a new bootlogo and a new theme, only the theme works. PLEASE help,

78. KA November 14, 2011 at 11:17 pm #

What is the source link to add which will allow me to download apps for free ??

79. Vincent December 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

I jailbraked ma iPhone 3GS on ios4.1 using limerain
    And successfully installed cydia..but from starting itself once cydia database packages are being updated it tells “failed to fetch : /bigboss/apt/cydia OR SOMTHNG LIKE DAT.
    Wats wrong??
    Tried many times but those 2 packages are not able to be updated n cydia
    Plzz help
    Thanks in advance
    And one more thing THIS is a gud blog page 4 iPhone users
    Was vry helpful 4 me

80. mike December 16, 2011 at 11:58 am #

I have an
    at&t v3.1.2 (7D11) unlocked via geohot’s blackra1n
    model mb702LL
    baseband 05.11.07

it shows cydia, rock, snow

snow is the only thing that works i guess cause i can use any sim

rock never loaded
    Error Downloading Rock can’t find host …even though it’s got wifi & internet access can google anything

Then Cydia goes through downloading, unpacking & then respringing please wait & then nothing…so basically i have a carrier unlock and thats it

I want to go to 4.2.1 & would like to see what cydia is all about do i upgrade via itunes to 4.2.1 and then jailbreak and unlock with redsn0w or snowbreeze I ve already tried both of these and have been into DFU mode successfully but when i get to itunes it says that version is not compatible or whatever it sez …ive tried 4.2.1 & 5 custom this that looked at everybodies videos followed all the steps & nada

81. MINTE December 19, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

I dont know how I can downlod the jailbreak on to my iPhone 4 / iOS 5.0.1

82. Tat January 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Hi Simon,i am using wifi to download games and app.but it keep saying POSIX:Operation timed out.on every game and app i try to download.Can you please help.

83. MiTuL!!!!! February 29, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

thanx……………….buddy u helped a lot.

84. Cole March 22, 2012 at 2:10 am #

Hi i jailbroke my iphone 3gs and when i go to download a package or something it says i may experience an error……PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

85. krushitpatel August 29, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

pls friends help me
    i have iphone 4g nd i jailbreak it nd install cydia
    and install lots of app but since a week all app stop working nd remove from setting nd nw i m reinstall it from cydia but unable to show all tht app in setting or any other place

• manoj August 29, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

dude it may be cos of too many tweaks n more downloads from cydia ! use vch u like more n vn u bored on it remove it n go fr new
      its d better way . in need any help assistance mail me
      [email protected]

86. Jessica September 4, 2012 at 12:31 am #

Ong some one with iPhone 4s jail broken plz help
    Me I just jail broke it idk anything I got the basic but I been trying
    To change only certain thing like SMS and the Icons without changing my background pic but I can’t do it I need help
    So if someone don’t mine me asking lots of questions

Ong some one with iPhone 4s jail broken plz help
    Me I just jail broke it idk anything I got the basic but I been trying
    So if someone don’t mine me asking lots of questions
    Plz email me at [email protected]
    So I can start asking thank u ☺☺☺

90. Damian September 6, 2012 at 12:20 am #

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this article and also the rest of the site is also very good.

91. replica omega November 21, 2012 at 6:25 am #

Hey There. I discovered your weblog the use of msn. This is an extremely smartly written article.
    I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

92. Adam February 1, 2013 at 1:32 am #

Thanks for the guide. It really helped me a lot jailbreak my phone before. I also found this jailbreak for ios 6.1 since its already out. Heres the link http://jailbreakhome.com

93. reggie March 20, 2013 at 12:17 am #

thanks your tips really worked i will be visiting again soon

94. yaheardthat June 4, 2013 at 10:30 am #

Thank you, your blog post really help me a lot, so i follow your guide correctly.
    Daniel @ Jailbreakevasion.com

1. TamsPalm Deutschland» Sonstige Systeme iPhone » Jailbreak im iPhone – eine Einführung - June 22, 2009

[...] diese Anwendungen werden über einen seperaten App-Store bereitgestellt, der unter dem Namen Cydia bekannt ist. Dieses Programm wird automatisch mit dem Jailbreak (eigentlich nur eine leicht [...]

2. iPhone Jailbreak How to use Cydia | iphone 3G 3.1 jailbreak - October 6, 2009

[...] now you should be in Cydia. Let’s have a quick glance at Cydia interface. Cydia offers an intuitive interface for you to manage application [...]

3. com3.es | ProSwitcher (Beta) for iPhone is Now Available for Free Download - December 22, 2009

[...] to the cydia source. If you do not know how to install a new source, you can refer to this post for detailed instructions. Once, cydia loads the source URL, you can search for ProSwitcher and [...]

4. Where is OS 4.0? « iPhones.co.uk – iPhone blog, iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS news - January 30, 2010

[...] 5. Updates only for 3G & 3GS – Ouch! Sorry iPhone 2G owners, the updates are supposedly only coming to the faster newer models. Perhaps because the old iPhone doesn’t have the figures to be able to multi-task efficiently, when compared to it’s faster brothers. Knowing Apple, this is probably true as most of the 2G owners missed out on the MMS addition. Which can still be switched on if you have a sneaky Jailbroken iPhone 2G and Cydia. [...]

5. Breaking Free Of Apple Standards « Smile Like You Mean It - February 10, 2010

[...] 3rd party apps!  To navigate using Cydia for the first time, there’s an excellent tutorial here.  And that’s it!  Have [...]

6. To Jailbreak or not to Jailbreak… That is the question! « Groovy's Geek Corner - February 23, 2010

[...] Actually, my iPhone didn’t look any different. I needed to load an application feeder like Cydia which works much like the App Store except for the jailbreak community. Using Cydia, I was able to [...]

7. Jailbreaking the iPhone « - May 13, 2010

[...] on how to use Installous, but if required, I shall post them soon enough. References: http://www.simonblog.com/2008/12/12/jailbreak-for-beginner-1-how-to-use-cydia/ [...]

8. How I jailbreak my iPhone 3G « XOXO, Amanda - July 14, 2010

[...] it’s being jailbroken, you’ll have the Cydia App. Read this link on how to use Cydia and this link for list of Cydia [...]

9. Complete beginner iPhone jail breaking guide « Humans … The evolutionary predator of the orange - March 4, 2012

[...] Good beginners guide if your confused [...]