Thanks for waiting. Finally, I managed to update the iPhone 2.2 jailbreak guide for Windows user. This guide is specifically for iPhone 2G (also known as 1st generation iPhone).
Update: Now, you can refer to the latest jailbreak guide to upgrade to iPhone 3.0.
Previously, I covered the whole process to jailbreak iPhone 2.2 using Pwnage Tool (for Mac). Here comes to the complete guide for Windows users. This guide is designed for:
- Those who own iPhone 2G and plan for jailbreak & unlock (If you do not know what Jailbreak & Unlock are, check out my post of “Why Jailbreak?“)
- Those who already have jailbreak iPhone and would like to upgrade to firmware 2.2 or 2.2.1. (To learn more about new features offered in firmware 2.2, you can refer to this post)
To jailbreak firmware 2.2 on Windows, we’ll use QuickPwn 2.2 or 2.2.5-2 to perform jailbreak and unlock for your iPhone. Developed by iPhone Dev Team, QuickPwn is the easiest tool to jailbreak & unlock iPhone. The jailbreak process is so straightforward that any iPhone owner can manage the jailbreak.
Before going forward to the jailbreak procedures, let’s me highlight again. This guide is for iPhone 2G. I’m updating the jailbreak guide for iPhone 3G. Please stay tuned.
Okay, let’s get start.
Preparation for Jailbreak & Unlock
1. First, make sure you have upgraded to iTunes version 8.0.2 and backup your iPhone data by synchronizing it with iTunes.
Tip: You can download older version of iTunes here if Apple already releases a newer version of iTunes at the time you’re reading this post.
Installing iPhone Firmware 2.2 via iTunes
3. Next, connect your iPhone to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes. Select your iPhone in iTunes.
4. Okay, now hold the SHIFT key and click the “Restore” button. iTunes will launch a file dialog for you to select the firmware file. Locate the “iPhone1,1_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw” you have downloaded in previous step and click “Open”.
For firmware 2.2.1, please use “iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw” instead.
5. iTunes will then restore your iPhone with firmware 2.2. Keep your iPhone connected, don’t touch it and wait until the process completes.
Jailbreak & Unlock with QuickPwn
6. Now, your iPhone should completely restore to firmware 2.2. But it’s locked right now.
7. Launch QuickPwn 2.2 to start jailbreak & unlock.
If you’re upgrading to firmware 2.2.1, please use QuickPwn 2.2.5-2.
8. Ensure you have the iPhone connected and then click blue button to continue.
9. Next, you are required to provide the firmware 2.2 IPSW file. Click “Browse” button to locate it. You should see a big tick if your firmware file is correct. Then click the blue arrow to continue.
For Firmware 2.2.1 jailbreak, please locate your firmware 2.2.1 IPSW file (iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw)
10. You can then configure the settings for QuickPwn. Normally, you can check all checkboxes (i.e. Add Cydia, add installer, Replace boot logo & unlock iPhone). But if you do not keep the Apple logo, left “Replace boot logo” unchecked. Click blue arrow button to continue.
11. Next, locate the bootloader 3.9 and 4.6 files that you have downloaded by clicking “Browse” button. Once complete, QuickPwn will verify the files and show a big tick if they are correct. Then click blue arrow button to continue.
12. Your iPhone should still be connected with USB cable. QuickPwn requests you to confirm it once again as the Jailbreak process will begin. If you’re ready, click blue arrow button to continue.
13. Now, QuickPwn starts to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone. It automatically puts the iPhone into recovery mode. After that, you’ll be asked to hold Home button for 5 seconds. Then hold Home and Power buttons together for 10 seconds. Next, release Power button and continue to hold Home button until your iPhone is in DFU mode (QuickPwn will prompt you when you’re in DFU mode, just follow what QuickPwn says).
14. While jailbreaking, your iPhone will show downloading jailbreak data, flashing NOR, etc. And, just don’t touch your iPhone and keep waiting.
15. Once completed, QuickPwn will let you know the jailbreak process is successful. Your iPhone will be restarted and automatically launch BootNeuter to perform unlock. This process will take 3-5 minutes to complete. Be patient. When complete, your iPhone will be rebooted.
16. Congratulation, you now complete the jailbreak process with iPhone firmware 2.2. Lastly, sync back your backup data with iTunes.
Hope you’ll have a smooth jailbreak process. As always, leave me message and share your jailbreak experience.
Founder, developer and chief blogger of simonblog.com