Complete Guide: Jailbreak iPhone 3G 2.2 using QuickPwn (For Windows)

Following the complete guide for jailbreak & unlock firmware 2.1 on iPhone 2G using QuickPwn, I received quite a number of requests from readers to write up the same guide for iPhone 3G. Before you run into the details of jailbreak, you’re probably aware that the word “Unlock” is missing in the post title. A typo? No, so far there is no solution to unlock iPhone 3G. For now, QuickPwn can only jailbreak iPhone 3G. That means you are still bind to single carrier and can’t use SIM card from other carriers. (For starter, you can check out this post to learn more about “jailbreak vs unlock”)

Update: You can now unlock iPhone 3G using yellowsn0w.

Anyways, this post is devoted for iPhone 3G users who want to jailbreak their iPhones. If you can’t figure out a reason for jailbreaking, check out this post and see if jailbreak is for you. Okay, let’s start jailbreaking iPhone 3G.

Update: This guide is now updated with procedures for firmware 2.2.1. But you should read this warning carefully. Presently, you cannot use yellowsn0w to unlock firmware 2.2.1 for iPhone 3G. So, please use firmware 2.2 if you’re planning for unlock.

Preparation for Jailbreak & Unlock

1. First, make sure you have upgraded to iTunes version 8.02 and backup your iPhone data by synchronizing it with iTunes.

Tip: You can download older version of iTunes here if Apple already releases a newer version of iTunes at the time you’re reading this post.

2. Download QuickPwn 2.1 and iPhone firmware 2.1 (3G). Save them all in the same folder. And unzip QuickPwn21-1.zip. So make sure you have all the files in place before continue.

iPhone 2.2 Jailbreak: For those you consider to jailbreak firmware 2.2, please download QuickPwn 2.2 and iPhone firmware 2.2 (3G).

iPhone 2.2.1 Jailbreak: For those you consider to jailbreak firmware 2.2.1, please download QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 and iPhone firmware 2.2.1 (3G).

Installing iPhone Firmware via iTunes

3. Next, connect your iPhone to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes. Select your iPhone in iTunes.

4. Okay, now hold the SHIFT key and click the “Restore” button. iTunes will launch a file dialog for you to select the firmware file. Locate the “iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw” (or “iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw” for firmware 2.2 or “iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw” for firmware 2.2.1) you have downloaded in previous step and click “Open”.

5. iTunes will then restore your iPhone with firmware 2.1 (or 2.2 /2.2.1). Keep your iPhone connected, don’t touch it and wait until the process completes.

Jailbreak with QuickPwn

6. Now, your iPhone should completely restore to firmware 2.1 (or 2.2/2.2.1).

Note: Please activate your iPhone in iTunes first before going to the next step.

7. Launch QuickPwn to start jailbreak.

8. Ensure you have the iPhone connected and then click blue button to continue.

9. Next, you are required to provide the firmware 2.1 IPSW file. Click “Browse” button to locate it.

iPhone 2.2/2.2.1 Jailbreak: Please select firmware 2.2/2.2.1 IPSW file accordingly.

10. You can then configure the settings for QuickPwn. Normally, you can check all checkboxes (i.e. Add Cydia, add installer, Replace boot logo). But if you do not keep the Apple logo, left “Replace boot logo” unchecked. Click blue arrow button to continue.

11. Your iPhone should still be connected with USB cable. QuickPwn requests you to confirm it once again as the Jailbreak process will begin. If you’re ready, click blue arrow button to continue.

12. Now, QuickPwn starts to jailbreak your iPhone. It automatically puts the iPhone into recovery mode. After that, you’ll be asked to hold Home button for 5 seconds. Then hold Home and Power buttons together for 10 seconds. Next, release Power button and continue to hold Home button until your iPhone is in DFU mode (QuickPwn will prompt you when you’re in DFU mode, just follow what QuickPwn says).

13. While jailbreaking, your iPhone will show downloading jailbreak data, etc. And, just don’t touch your iPhone and keep waiting.

14. Once completed, QuickPwn will let you know the jailbreak process is successful. Your iPhone will be restarted.

15. Congratulation! You now complete the jailbreak process with iPhone 3G firmware 2.1 (or 2.2/2.2.1). Lastly, sync back your backup data with iTunes.

As always, leave me message and share your jailbreak experience.

, , , ,

301 Responses to Complete Guide: Jailbreak iPhone 3G 2.2 using QuickPwn (For Windows)

1. shirley October 16, 2008 at 6:18 am #

I just bought my 3G iphone and it is already on firmware 2.1
    Do I need to skip any steps (like the restore to 2.1 part) or do I still do the same thing even though I already am on 2.1?

2. Simon Ng October 16, 2008 at 8:10 am #

Shirley, you can skip step 3-5 if you’re sure it’s on firmware 2.1.

3. Tony October 16, 2008 at 12:00 pm #

I’ve updated an iphone 3G to Firmware 2.1 and jailbreak it using your guide. after the jailbreak, it was activated but the problem is there’s no signal… Do i need to reactivate it with itunes online???

4. irene October 16, 2008 at 10:15 pm #

hi simon,

After upgrade to 2.1 I’m having problem searching for winterboard in cydia.. Also it shows error like 1 broken packages.. Pls help.

Thks

5. shirley October 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm #

Thanks for the guide. Work perfectly!

Did you find that after you jailbroke, the phone is a bit slower in response time? Granted, I guess thats because of the added applications/themes

6. Simon Ng October 16, 2008 at 11:36 pm #

Tony, are you using the same SIM card after jailbreak? And, what happen when you connect to iTunes?

Anyone experienced the same problem? Feel free to share the solution.

7. Simon Ng October 16, 2008 at 11:44 pm #

Irene, WinterBoard should be there. Did you check out “Featured Packages” at the Home screen of Cydia?

8. Lance October 17, 2008 at 3:43 am #

Hi I Have the same problem as Tony I jailbroke my I phone 3g using all the above steps, it worked fine. But after I was finished I had no carrier signal. I used my original sim card from t-mobile which worked before the jailbreak. any Ideas?

9. Lance October 17, 2008 at 4:22 am #

Just an update from my last post. I tried installing QuickPwn one last time and this time it worked. I think that the problem was after I installed the firmware the first time round I did not let my sim card get registered by the provider. The second time I installed the firmware I waited for my sim card to be registered and only then did I start QuickPwn. Hope it helps.

10. Simon Ng October 17, 2008 at 8:10 am #

Thanks, Lance for your sharing.

11. Tony October 17, 2008 at 12:23 pm #

Just an update from my last post,,,,, yes Simon i was using the same simcard (Globe Philippines) Which is the official carrier of iphone in the philippines…. I bring it back to Globe Service center, and they activated it but it’s no longer jailbroken… i haven’t try it again….. jailbraeking. I’ll try what Lance did… and will share it. if Works.
    Thanks simon…

12. ilhaan October 20, 2008 at 11:00 pm #

hey simon,
    thanks for the wonderful guide on how to jailbreak the iPhone 3g. I just got my unlocked iPhone 3G from the Hong Kong online Apple store. The phone is already on firmware 2.1 which i means i get to skip step 3-5 (as mentioned above). But step 9 requires us to find the ipsw file. Will i need this file if my iPhone was already on 2.1?? Or would quickpwn skip to step 10?? I dont want to take a risk and try it out as i spent quite a lot on the officially unlocked iPhone from HK.

13. donutdog October 24, 2008 at 8:07 am #

smashing tutorial, thanks to the iPhone Dev Team for the good software and to simon for the great tutorial!

14. Simon Ng October 24, 2008 at 11:21 pm #

@ihaan, great to see you get an unlocked iPhone 3G from Hong Kong. You can skip step 3-5 as you’re already on firmware 2.1. However, you still need to download it as it’s required in step 9. Don’t worry. As your iPhone is already unlocked, even you got any issue during the jailbreak process. You can just restore your iPhone with firmware 2.1 via iTunes.

@donutdog, thanks!

15. siddhartha October 25, 2008 at 5:47 am #

Thanx simon,
    your guide is just perfect .. i have an iphone 3g with vodafone connection!! your jailbreaking guide is very precise thanx!!

16. fong October 25, 2008 at 7:04 am #

17. Simon Ng October 25, 2008 at 10:25 am #

@siddhartha, thanks! Do download some must-have Jailbreak applications. For download information, you can check out here.

@Fong, did you activate your iPhone in iTunes (step 6)?

18. Spaz October 25, 2008 at 1:49 pm #

Thanks for the info…I haven’t done this yet but I am concerned with a previous post that the 3G iPhone has become slower as a result of the jailbreaking. Has anyone else confirmed? Any caveats here when you already have firmware 2.1 (latest) already installed?

Are there any links to other apps or utilities that allow other apps to be installed on the iPhone? Afterall, it’s neat to have a jailbreaken phone but if you don’t know how or get 3rd party apps then it defeats the purpose. Thx.

19. Spaz October 25, 2008 at 1:52 pm #

Oops Simon, just noticed the comment before me about the link to other apps? I posted [another] question to the other link: http://www.simonblog.com/2008/10/05/why-jailbreak-top-5-reasons-to-jailbreak-iphone/

20. Simon Ng October 25, 2008 at 9:14 pm #

Spaz, jailbreaking iPhone won’t slow the iPhone. Probably it’s due to the add-on application that may take a little bit more time to load.

After Jailbreak, you can use Cydia to download any jailbreak application. You can consider Cydia as App Store for jailbreak iPhone.

21. Spaz October 26, 2008 at 6:49 am #

Simon, thanks for the tips. I thought Cydia is already included in Quickpawn?

One more questions. Renclty, people are having issues with their SIM card not working after jailbreaking. Why is that? Does this affect all iPhones or just 3G or 1st gen?

22. Me October 28, 2008 at 2:15 pm #

Here is a link to the apps that you can get by jailbreaking your iPhone. For many, most won’t need to do it. http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/iphone-modifications/cydia-apps-list-32728.html

23. siddhartha October 30, 2008 at 12:38 am #

hey simon thanx man!! the apps are great to i dont know how to thank you dude u rock!!!!!!!!!

24. Ronald October 31, 2008 at 6:50 pm #

Thank you so much. My 3g from fido is working great. No problems after a month. Jailbreak rocks!!!!!!!

25. Kevin November 2, 2008 at 11:49 am #

I followed the procedure. Everything went smoothly. But after the reboot, I don’t see any difference. No Cydia on the desktop. Pre-jailbreaking, my phone already has the 2.1 firmware version. So I skipped steps 3-5.

26. reumann November 3, 2008 at 3:06 am #

I have jailbreaked my iPhone 3G (2.1) using QuickPwn 2.1 and then needed to erase my settings through the option provided in “Settings”. I waited for 2 hours and later I only see the Apple logo and iPhone don’t boot-up. It resets and then comes back to Apple logo. How will I rescue my phone?

• mike June 1, 2009 at 4:59 pm #

same wth me. Absolutely stuffed my iphone/

27. eric November 3, 2008 at 10:26 pm #

hai ilhaan, please advice how to unlock iphone 3G firmware 2.1

thanks

28. siddhartha November 8, 2008 at 8:41 pm #

simon i need a help i dont know if its allowed to post it here but i cant seem to upload any videos i have to iphone 3g even after i converted them to iphone format it doesnt get recognised in the playlist while the vides i doenloaded from the istore work perfectly

29. Bill November 10, 2008 at 3:53 pm #

This is great! Thanks so much!

30. Jason November 12, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

Ok…um so u can only use this to unlock and jailbreak the new iphone 3G??
    I was wondering if I can upgrade my 2.0 unlocked/jailbroken first generation iphone to 2.1.

31. mujeeb November 12, 2008 at 11:49 pm #

hi all , im mujeeb from bahrain . i do a iphone 3g 2.0.1 version . i tryed it with winpwn
    2.0.0.4 . after everything theres No Carrier Signal after Pwnage . any1s can help me please im tottaly fucked up with it .

32. Minaz November 13, 2008 at 5:06 pm #

Problem.. My iphone will not load up it stays at the pineapple screen and will not load up.. What should i do now ?

33. Miguel November 15, 2008 at 4:54 pm #

Hello Simon just a question with my iPhone 3G v2.0 i got no Installer or cydia how can i get this? do i need to upgrade it 2.1?

34. Simon Ng November 15, 2008 at 11:16 pm #

Miguel, you need to first jailbreak the iPhone before you can have Installer/Cydia. I suggest you upgrade to firmware 2.1 as the procedures mentioned in this post are for firmware 2.1.

35. Pistol Pete November 16, 2008 at 4:37 am #

After nearly paying for a package to jailbreak my phone, i thought i would risk doing it myself. I looked at various sites but none were as easy to follow AS THIS!!. Many thanks great info!!

36. phony November 16, 2008 at 9:42 pm #

nice howto! Everything work like a charm, but I have now a problem with iTunes:
    It won’t sync my calendar or/and contacts anymore. It says it is syncing, but that does take forever and nothing happens. If I disable syncing of contacs and calendar, everything is fine …
    Any ideas?

(Iphone 3G unlocked from fab, iTunes 8, Trying to sync with Outlook)

37. phony November 17, 2008 at 1:33 am #

wahhh. clear sync history did the trick

38. Matt November 17, 2008 at 10:21 am #

Hey guys the Step-By-Step Instructions are great!! Worked like a charm!! But i have a question regarding the packages. When i go to Installed from Iphone, and i choose “All Packages” I look for VNsea and i dont find it, but a lot of people when they click, Installer–> Categories–> All Packages, i dont see the same packages as these guys have on YouTube Videos, not even half of them. So my question is do i have to download some other Packages to include all these other packages, like the one i need VNsea?? Please let me know, im very excited about this. Thank you all in advance.

39. Сергей November 17, 2008 at 11:50 pm #

Стиральные машины, аудио-видео, холодильники, малая бытовая техника, варочные поверхности.

40. Kaye November 18, 2008 at 1:07 pm #

Hey Simon, my iPhone is already in firmware 2.1 but I am unsure on which step to start now.. :S I opened my Quickpwn and I can’t get past the browse for Firmware stage. What do I do? Thanks in advance… :)

41. Miguel November 18, 2008 at 7:03 pm #

is that a problem if i sync my iPhone to other computer’s itunes to save my contacts and pics and use as well to upgrade? or i have to use my pc?thanks genius!!! :-)

• biggy August 7, 2009 at 8:48 am #

i have an iphone 2g OTB 1.1.2

I heard the 3.0 grays out the wifi and there is no fix.

can i unlock using quickpwn from 1.1.2 to 2.2?

What OS is best for my otb 1.1.2.I need my wifi to work and not grayed out.

42. chris November 20, 2008 at 11:36 am #

i successfully jb my iphone 3g w/ firmware 2.1. however i tried youtube, i keep seeing the msg “cannot connect to youtube” via WiFi.

any suggestion? thx

43. Irenic November 20, 2008 at 11:43 am #

Was a little concerned about the jailbreak process, i had attempted a jailbreak with the Winpwn and was given the error 1600 during the restore step. Using your instructions i was able to jailbreak my iphone without any hangups. It went flawlessly ::knock on wood:: amazing what we go through to play old school NES games on our $400 phones =)

44. ET November 21, 2008 at 4:34 am #

Loovely
    Had a bit trouble in the beginning, until i realised i was trying to jailbreak my 3G with 2G software :S for 30 min i was sweatting. So i wish for a more “visible” headline.
    But thanks! i looove it now :) and keep up the good work

45. al November 21, 2008 at 7:21 pm #

I have tried 3 times to jailbreak and all my phone does is reboot it self over and over not going to the home screen as everyone else seems to get to without a problem. what can i do to fix my beloved iphone. It seemed to all be so easy until it said it was going to reboot Can you help? please

46. Chris November 25, 2008 at 2:57 pm #

Hi, i have an IPHONE 3G running on turbosim. Can you please help me jailbreak this Iphone. Will the turbosim will work even after the jailbreak? I have 2.1 and would like to keep same firmware. I heard people who upgraded to 2.2 and turbosim didnt work. Can you please help me jailbreak my 2.1 IPHONE 3G. I only have a Windows Vista and waht tool i need for jailbreak? I have some questions:

1) Shall i remove the turbosim and chip before the jailbreak?
    2) after jailbreak, i can put turbosim and will it work?
    3) i heard i need to activare in jailbreak, where can i find this and wah is this for?
    4) what firmware I need to use -can you give me the link?
    5) After the jailbreak, shall i need to put the AT&T card first or I can use the TURBOSIM driect and my BARHAIN SIM with it?
    thanks, chris

47. Simon Ng November 27, 2008 at 1:23 am #

Chris, for iPhone 3G, I suggest to hold the upgrade to firmware 2.2. There are cases reported that TurboSim won’t work after upgrading to firmware 2.2.

For iPhone 2.1 jailbreak for iPhone 3G, you can refer to this guide.

P.S. I haven’t tested the procedures with TurboSIM. So, jailbreak at your own risk.

48. benson November 27, 2008 at 6:34 am #

Simon, i got my iphone 3g off ebay and its already unlocked.. not sure how… is there any way i can find out if its a geniune unlock ?(then i could upgrade to 2.2 off itunes) or i might brick it if its firmware is played around with…

49. smile November 27, 2008 at 6:45 am #

Hi, Simon

i had upgrade 2.2 and i just read your sentance on top, turbo sim wont work to 2.2. i follow your direction to restore 2.1, I am having trouble to restore 2.1 in the ENd i get message this “Iphone” could not be restored. An unkown error occurred (13). I have no idea what is that error for. Thank You for your help. Look forward to hearing from you.

50. Simon Ng November 27, 2008 at 10:18 am #

benson, there is currently no software-based unlock solution for iPhone 3G.Most iPhone 3G are locked version. By locked version, it means the iPhone only works with the official carrier (e.g. AT&T). Presently, Apple only sold unlocked version of iPhone in Hong Kong & Italy. To check if it’s unlocked, just pull out the SIM card and switch to other SIM from other carriers. If it works, that’s an unlocked version.

51. smile November 27, 2008 at 9:45 pm #

simon,

if i want to restore 2.1 firware to iphone 3G. Do i need to download itune 7.7 or i can use current itune version 8.0.2. I having trouble to restore 2.1 firmware to Iphone 3G. i have allready update 2.2 firmware, but 2.2 does not work for turbo sim.

52. Mux December 1, 2008 at 12:34 pm #

Simon,

I accidentally upgraded to version 2.2. I understand that it cannot be unlocked now. Is there a way to revert to 2.1? I tried downgrading to 2.1 using iTunes 8.0.2. Got error 5. Do you have any idea? Thanks.

53. andrew December 2, 2008 at 3:58 pm #

If i used 2.1 jailbreak firmware using quickpwn does that mean i wont be able to unlock my iphone when it comes time with quickownage

54. Moncy December 4, 2008 at 1:46 am #

I bought a 3g Iphone with 2.2 firmware and want to use with my T-Mobile carrier. I read people saying that even after doing the downgrade to 2.1, the baseband (modem ) remains same with out downgrading which makes the iphone unable to catchup any service.
    any idea how to fix this ??

55. kim December 4, 2008 at 11:50 pm #

Simon, I have a never been unlocked or jailbroken iphone 3g with the firmware 2.2 already updated. When I try to jailbreak it with quickpwn it gets stuck on step 12 in recovery mode. What is causing this and how do I fix it?

56. Simon Ng December 5, 2008 at 12:44 am #

@smile, I suggest you to upgrade to iTunes 8.02.

@Mux, I haven’t tried to downgrade from firmware 2.2. Let’s me see if I can find a solution for it.

@Andrew, for firmware 2.1, it’s ok to perform jailbreak on iPhone 3G and you’ll still have the opportunity to unlock in future.

@moncy, do you mean you’re looking for an unlock solution for iPhone 3G? Presently, there is no software solution to unlock iPhone 3G. The procedures mentioned here is for jailbreak only.

@Kim, are you using QuickPwn 2.2?

57. kim December 5, 2008 at 6:43 am #

Yes. I’m using Quickpwn 2.2 and the correct firmware. I even installed it more than once and restarted my computer thinking that work but nothing.

58. brent December 5, 2008 at 6:44 am #

Simon cant get past the recovery mode rebooted computer reinstalled quickpwn switched usb ports cant figure it out?Trying to jailbreak iphone 3g with vista.

59. winny December 5, 2008 at 1:20 pm #

anyone here! pls answer my ques… Im new to jailbreaking and although I can pay someone to do it for me, I want to learn how to do it myself. If ever something goes wrong, like if I didnt hold the home button n power button correctly, or something else goes wrong, what will happen to my iphone? Will I stillbe able to use it? Or will it be broken already? Pls pls respond.. thanks so much ya all! Good luck to jailbreaking haha

60. brent December 5, 2008 at 11:43 pm #

Finally got it I ran quickpwn from winzip without extracting it and it ran great,Im using vista so I dont know if it works for a another operating system.

61. Simon Ng December 6, 2008 at 12:16 am #

Winny, I think you have concern on putting iPhone into DFU mode. No worry. Even you fail to put it into DFU mode for the 1st time, you can try it again until you make it work. Are you using iPhone 3G or 2G? If you’re iPhone 3G user, please do remember to read this post before jailbreak. Good luck.

62. Simon Ng December 6, 2008 at 12:17 am #

Kim, did you put your iPhone into DFU mode properly? This is one of the common issues that fails the jailbreak.

63. kim December 6, 2008 at 3:20 am #

I can’t even get that far. It stops at “Wait for Iphone to connect in Recovery”

64. siddhartha December 6, 2008 at 4:42 am #

Hey simon!!
    i just upgraded to 2.2 jailbreak for 3g!! as usual its done with out a hitch man!! ur the best!!

65. winny December 6, 2008 at 8:17 pm #

Tnx for the reply simon.. Im using iphone 3g. I paid someone to jailbreak it for me since i chickened out at the last minute. Haha however i noticed there are very few apps on cydia. My cousin who is using jailbreak 2.1 told me there’s a lot of apps avail for download? Is 2.1 really better than 2.2? If so, do you know how i can downgrade to 2.1? Tnx!

66. Simon Ng December 6, 2008 at 11:40 pm #

Winny, you do not need to downgrade to 2.1 to use Cydia. Cydia is also available on firmware 2.2.

67. holr December 7, 2008 at 3:29 am #

I have the same issue as some other people. I have a locked phone that I tried to jailbreak. The jailbreak process worked fine, but now I have no signal from AT&T.

68. Silvie December 7, 2008 at 3:49 am #

Hi I need help!!! I upgraded my 2G phone to 2.2 and unlocked it no problem but now I have no signal….how do i get the signal back?

Anybody….please :)

69. kim December 7, 2008 at 8:19 am #

I now have the same issue as “holr”. I used a different computer to jailbreak my phone and it worked. Unfortunately, now I have no signal from AT&T. How can I fix this?

70. rex December 8, 2008 at 8:35 am #

hey i followed everything for my iphone 3g with 2.2firmware and everyhting worked great. i did get stuck for a couple of minutes when quickpwn rebooted my iphone in the end for its “new modified state” and i couldn’t connect to itunes because i needed my passcode but there was no place to put it and it only had the emergency call and also, i did not have signal from AT&T. I turned my phone off and on and everything was back to how everything was with the 2 new icons :D

so if anyone is having some reception problems with at&t try turning ur phone off then on after quickpwn reboots it. hope this helps.

thank you simon now i can enjoy my iphone MORE!

71. Cobber December 8, 2008 at 9:03 am #

I have a new PC, is there a way to get all my Itunes stuff from one pc to the new one? If I sync it now I will lose everything right?

72. Sohab December 10, 2008 at 6:38 am #

everytime i try this, it gets to the first step (wait for your iphone to connect…) and it just goes into recovery mode and my iphone just stays like that. I have a 3g, and i jailbroke 2.1 perfectly fine, but for some reason this process just isnt working for me. my computer doesnt freeze, neither does quickpwn, my iphone just stops, and its quite frustrating

73. doug December 11, 2008 at 6:40 am #

i pressed shift+restore on restore and i didnt see the .ispw file. any help?

74. Simon Ng December 12, 2008 at 8:03 am #

doug, where did you save the .ispw file? You may need to change to the directory you download the .ipsw file.

Sohab, which step are you talking about? You mean the first step when you launch QuickPwn?

75. JOSH December 15, 2008 at 1:01 pm #

In step 9 is that clicking the same file that i downloaded in step 2?

and are theses the only things i need to jailbreak my iphone 3g ? i have seen other sites that provide a couple programs and how u search through your phone files to add in files yourself.

76. Simon Ng December 15, 2008 at 11:28 pm #

JOSH, you’re right. It’s the same file as those files you download in step 2. These are all files you need. Leave me message if you still have other questions. Good luck for your jailbreak!

77. Tony B December 16, 2008 at 1:14 am #

I’ve just done this jailbreak and now my ipod touch (1G) is stuck on the apple logo screen when it tries to boot. It’s been this way for ages, easily 15 minutes. Tried rebooting with no luck. Plugged it into USB, the screen flashed and the apple logo came back, still stuck on the apple logo screen. Apparently this seems to be a common issue according to a quick google for this.

78. JOSH December 16, 2008 at 6:02 am #

Thanks Simon just wanna make sure im nervous to mess up and have my iphone not get a signal like others or be bricked.

what happens if you mess up during the step where u have to hold the homebutton for certain mount of time and then both home and power .

79. Tony B December 16, 2008 at 6:15 am #

I restored to fix my problem, the jailbreak worked the second time. No idea what happened the first time.

80. Stephen December 17, 2008 at 8:51 pm #

Hi Simon after I done a jailbreak on my 2.2 iPhone 3g everytime I go to use the phone to make a call it won’t let me type a number and reverts back to the home screen after around 5 seconds.any ideas?

81. mAnu December 18, 2008 at 11:51 am #

hey simon … I have a different problem. I have jailbroken my iphone 2.1, i need to restore it with original iphone firmware 2.1, however my itunes already says that firmware 2.2 is available, so if i restore my iphone will it install 2.1 or 2.2. i dont want the 2.2. can i choose whether to restore it with 2.1 or 2.2?

thanks

82. JOSH December 19, 2008 at 11:11 am #

ok so i just got my iphone 3g simon. i want to jailbreak it… im nervous becasue i dont know what can happen if i mess up… what is the worst that can happen and are all the problems fixable without having to send it in or something…

Do i have regirster my phone with itunes or click register later.

thanks !

83. Sam December 21, 2008 at 4:39 pm #

Hello Simon,
    I have bought my LEGALLY UNLOCKED Iphone 3G recently and updated it’s FW to 2.2 using iTunes. I would like to install Cydia in it in order to be able to install 3rd party Applications and also to get Arabic keybaord installed. I understand that i have to Jailbreak it using QuickPwn. My Q is: If i Pwned my iPhone would it get locked again? if not….would i be able to update it’s FW to 2.3 in the future after it is jailbroke? Appreciate your kind reply in this regard.

84. Chris December 26, 2008 at 11:51 am #

@Sam:

No, it won’t get locked. And yes, you can update to FW 2.3 when it’s released if you want to.

85. Mike December 28, 2008 at 10:03 pm #

Hi simon, thnx for helpin out, I downloaded Quickpwn22 for 2.2 on my iphone 3g and wen i try to run quickpwn22 it says “to run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .net framework: v2.0.50727″ what do i do now?

86. Chris December 28, 2008 at 10:32 pm #

You download .net framework: v2.0.50727 ofcourse o__o Google it.

87. Simon Ng December 28, 2008 at 11:26 pm #

Thanks Chris. Mike, as Chris mentioned, please install .NET framework before launching QuickPwn. You can download it here:

88. Mike December 29, 2008 at 3:52 pm #

THNX!!! Happy new year!

89. steve December 30, 2008 at 12:22 am #

i am having issues with jailbreaking my 3g iphone. it would freeze on the screen where it is waiting for the iphone to connect to recovery mode. ive waited a long time and tried it numerous times, yet nothing. im using quickpwn 2.2 and i have dl’ed the 2.2 firmware as well. what should i do???

90. Mike December 30, 2008 at 1:10 pm #

Thanks Simon, I succesfully jailbreaked me and 2 buddies’ iphones! I know this has nothing to do with your blog but I was wondering if you had any advice on how or where i can find info on how to download themes from this site:

I was on their site and the instructions seemed really complicated…And I am pretty bad with computers… Any suggestions where i should look for instructions? thnx!!

91. panic December 31, 2008 at 8:23 am #

worked perfectly fine on 2.2! thxs a lot – looking forward to unlock the sim tomorrow :)

92. Mike P December 31, 2008 at 7:36 pm #

Does anybody have any idea how I can transfer the vidoes I took from cycorder to my computer?

93. Edison January 2, 2009 at 6:25 pm #

hi im from Philippines and im currently using a iphone3g with sim adapter, but since u updated to 2.2 my phone keeps on losing signal, they say because of TMSI,dont know what it means, now my question is, will this also fix that problem? can i use my phone like before without losing signal once i switch cellsite? a quick feedback will greatly be appreciated. thanks

94. Mike P January 4, 2009 at 4:40 am #

Hi Simon, happy new year… After playing with my jailbroken iphone for a few days and installin different 3rd party apps, i’ve somehow crashed my iphone… wen it connects to itunes… the screen on ur instructions step 3 won’t even show up on my itunes… it says the phone is connected but the screen where it gives u the option to restore doesn’t show up!! What can I do to fix my iphone or restore it to its original state before being jailbroken? Plz help

95. drrobotnik January 4, 2009 at 11:09 am #

I’m having the same problem as Sohab. I get to step 12, the iphone resets and sits on the screen with the arrow pointing to itunes, and quickpwn just sits on “wait for your iphone to connect in recovery mode.”

96. Roshan January 5, 2009 at 8:31 am #

Hi Simon i bought i phone 3g from Canada with 2.2 version and i jail break it following your all steps. And it says successful and i try to use different carrier sim but it s not recognizing the sim and no signal and i use same old sim which i used for jail break it work good ,do you have anything to say about this issue.

97. Simon Ng January 5, 2009 at 9:11 am #

@Roshan, for unlocking iPhone 3G to use different SIM cards, please refer to this post. It’s a step-by-step guide to unlock iPhone 3G using yellowsn0w.

98. Ocho January 8, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

I had stuck at stage 13, it says preparing your devise and it’s not moving forward , would you suggest me what to do? Is ther any solution to it guys? Pls, help me.

99. ripnotes January 10, 2009 at 3:12 am #

Hello everyone, I need some serious help!!! I’m trying to use Quickpwn 2.2 on my laptop and it continues to get stuck at the last step which is the point im suppose to put my iPhone in DFU mode. Im on vista home premium 32 bit operating system. Can anyone give me step by step instructions how to tweak my windows vista for I could be able to use quickpwn 2.2 without a problem. I have .net 3.5 sp1 already and I just need to know what else I need to do thanks in advance. (F.Y.I – I dont have another computer so I need help with this one)

100. De January 11, 2009 at 12:40 am #

Hey…. I’m experiencing the same problem
    I’m stuck at the step 12 “wait for your iphone to connect in recovery mode”… (the bit before “Hold the home button for 5 seconds”)
    The preparing device “loader” just keeps loading….

I think my issue is similar to steve’s post 89
    thanks
    De :)

101. Yoki January 11, 2009 at 6:00 pm #

Hi Simon, thanks for the guidance, it’s really help me jailbreaking my iphone 3g, thanks bro!! i would like to add 1 more step to solve the “no service” problem, i got this step from http://toosmartguys.com, for those who experienced this problem can follow below step:
    1. Find wireless connection and make sure your iphone is connected to internet
    2. Run Cydia from your iphone, go to Manage, select the Sources then click Edit.
    Click Add and type http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com then click Add Source
    3. It will Verifying URL and then Updating Sources
    4. Once Completed, Return to Cydia, click Done then click apt9.yellowsn0w.com
    5. Instal and confirm, wait until it finished then restart your iphone and see if
    you get the signal, if you don’t, try pull out your sim card and then reinsert
    Hope this will help, HAPPY TRYING!!!

102. wayne January 11, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

thx simon,i just finished jailbreaking my phone

103. MO January 11, 2009 at 11:27 pm #

Hello Simon,

I have an iphone 3G with firmware version 2.2. when i tried using quickpwn, i got the error message that the firmware version 1,2_2.2 does not match the version on my phone, which quikpwn says is 1,1_2.2. I downloaded this firmware but i still get the error message when i try to jailbreak the phone.

I skipped steps 3-5 since i already have firmware 2.2. When i try shift+restore, itunes also give me an error 5 message.

Can u please help?

104. Simon Ng January 12, 2009 at 12:23 am #

MO, as you’re using iPhone 3G. You have to download the corresponding firmware. The filename is “iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw”. You can download it here.

105. Huey January 12, 2009 at 3:06 am #

I Had everything working perfectly then when I held down my home for five secs and the home and power for ten, my phone goes black and never comes back or tells me its in DFU mode. What happened, How can i get past this???? please!!!!!!!

106. Huey January 12, 2009 at 3:31 am #

anyone?

107. hudson January 12, 2009 at 4:09 am #

i have the same problem as in post 100 it just keeps loading but never loads. any suggestions?

108. Huey January 12, 2009 at 4:26 am #

Simon?

109. hudson January 12, 2009 at 4:29 am #

any help plz.

110. MO January 13, 2009 at 2:34 am #

Hello simon,

I am using an iphone 3G on firmware 2.2. I downloaded the 3G firmware but quickpwn keeps telling me that the firmware is not the same as what i have on my phone. Do you think if i erase all content and settings using the reset found on the phone i can use quickpwn then? I am very confused

I have both 1,2_2.2 and 1’1_2.2 firmware. Quickpwn still gives me the same error message when i tried both firmwares.

111. MO January 13, 2009 at 2:45 am #

Hello Simon,

Is it possible to downgrade to 2.1 then try the jailbreak?

112. De January 13, 2009 at 12:59 pm #

Can anyone tell me how long step 12 took. (ie 10 minutes)?

113. ram January 14, 2009 at 4:24 pm #

Hello Simon,

It worked perfectly fine for me without any issues!! Just followed your steps one-after another and just worked fine.

Now having jailbreaked iPhone 3G (Version 2.2, Modem Firmware 02.28.00), I would follow your instructions to install yellownows 0.95 and “unlock the iPhone 3G”. I hope that works well too!!

Thank you very much!
    Ram.

114. xgeoffx801 January 17, 2009 at 5:09 am #

i just jailbroke 2 phones and the process went perfect. thanks again simon

115. Chris January 18, 2009 at 2:51 am #

what can i do when it says ipod not properly identified,disconnect and try again.
    An unknown error ocurred (2001)
    what did i do wrong?

116. sibss January 27, 2009 at 4:54 am #

hey simons,
    i have the first generation ipod with 2.2firmware. i tried jailbreaking it with quickpwn and everything works fine till the screen where it says “wait till ipod gets in recovery mode” its been stuck on that instruction since ever. i tried everything: rebooting and et.
    plz help,thnx

117. Rio January 28, 2009 at 10:02 am #

I followed your guide to Jailbreak my Iphone 3G 2.2. It worked great but after the Jailbreak I had no activation. I am with AT&T so I don’t need an unlock or sim card. What am I doing wrong? Am i missing a step for the activation after jailbreaking? Thanks

118. charlton January 31, 2009 at 11:33 pm #

need help badly. I followed your guide in jailbreaking perfectly. But my big problem right now is i don’t have a signla after jailbreaking. Can you help me on this as to what did I do wrong?

119. iyjo February 2, 2009 at 3:43 pm #

i first unlocked my iphone 3g ,but tat time the mic was not working and so i updated it.after that my phone got locked again.now i tried to unlock it agian with quickpwn unlocking but its showing FIRMWARE error.pls help

120. BunzLee February 2, 2009 at 10:40 pm #

Hello Simon

So I have been reading bout jailbreaking iPhones for 6 weeks now, but I’m still worried about some things. I am using 2.2 (5G77) un an iPhone 3G 16GB which is locked by our local provider (Swisscom)… I have an original SIM card, so I had no problems using it til now. Now, what I need to know…

Do I need to “unlock” the iPhone after jailbreaking, even if the “original” card is inserted? And do I have to re-activate it?

Now lets pretend I have jailbroken my iPhone… Can I still use iTunes and the AppStore the way I did before, using it as a legal “out of the box” iPhone?

I hope you’re answering this, I don’t seem to get any help on most forums so I’m kind of frustrated… Been wanting to do this for the last 6 weeks, but I don’t want to send my iPhone to Valhalla. =)

Thanks alot.

121. charlton February 3, 2009 at 8:48 am #

Thank you for your very fast reply. I am very nervous because my iphone 3g does not work for calls and sms. I’m sorry to sound so dumb but I am not that familiar with iphone stuff.
    Can I ask what do you mean by official carrier? I’m from philippines and I got my iphone 3g from globe telecom phils.
    How do I restore via itunes? Do i need to do it in the laptop where I jailbreaked my iphone? Do I need to just press restore or do I still need to push shift first and then restore?
    I was thingking of jailbreaking again the iphone (with sim card inserted this time) can I just do it or do I need to restore it?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions. Just need your help. Thank you in advance.

122. charlton February 4, 2009 at 9:49 am #

simon,
    I’m sure to jailbreak my iphone 3g. Can you teach me a step by step procedure? Do I need to restore first via itunes? How? Do I just push restore or do I need to push shift then restore? Or do I just jailbreak it again and start at quickpwn 2.1 procedure. Pls help me….

Another thing, is the sim card issue the reason for my iphone missing carrier?

123. iyjo February 5, 2009 at 2:23 pm #

simon
    i bought ipnone 3g.but when i am connecting to itunes its showing insert simcard,when i put simcard its showing simcard inserted is not supported what should i do???

124. Simon Ng February 6, 2009 at 8:16 am #

@Charlton, for iPhone 3G jailbreak & unlock, I suggest you to follow this guide.

@iyjo, I guess you bought the iPhone 3G from non-official telcom/carrier. In this case, you’ll need to unlock the iPhone 3G. You can follow this unlock guide and probably you’ll get the issue fixed

125. charlton February 6, 2009 at 10:05 pm #

simon,
    pls help me with my prob

126. charlton February 6, 2009 at 10:23 pm #

how do I jailbreak again. Can I jailbreak again in fw 2.1? DO i immediately launch quickpwn to jailbreak a jailbroken iphone 3g? Pls help….don’t know what to do.

127. skp February 9, 2009 at 8:20 am #

Hey Simon, anyway to back up all the customizations before jailbreaking (again)?

I’m already on jailbroken 2.2. (i actually went to 2.2.1 then had to come back becuase the 2.2.1 quickpwn wasn’t out yet).

Anyway, the biggest thing for me is realoading all the apps from cydia and remembering all the cool customizations.

thanks,
    skp

• Simon Ng February 10, 2009 at 8:02 am #

@skp, to backup cydia application before upgrading the firmware, you may check out AptBackup. And, for iPhone application installed via App Store, you can sync it with iTunes before upgrade. This’ll backup all applications and iTunes will keep your customization of iPhone. You can restore them after upgrade.

128. Sean February 10, 2009 at 9:16 am #

i downloaded quickpwn went through the proccess and now my phone wont load after the apple appears what did i do wrong?

129. Atif February 11, 2009 at 4:10 pm #

simon, i have accidently update the software to 2.2.1, now i want to go back to software 2.2, please let me know what should i do??

130. bhavesh February 14, 2009 at 9:20 am #

hey there,

i JB my phone (3g 2.2.1) using the latest quickpwn software and mobileinstallation… everything worked, but now my phone doesn’t connect to to either edge or 3G…

any help? suggestions?
    thanks!

131. Simon Ng February 14, 2009 at 9:54 am #

@Sean, what version of firmware are you upgrading?

@Atif, are you just looking for a jailbreak solution? You can use QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 and follow the procedures described in this article to jailbreak firmware 2.2.1. However, if you want to unlock your iPhone 3G, there is currently no software solution to unlock it for firmware 2.2.1.

@bhavesh, are you using the sim card from the official carrier (e.g. AT&T)?

132. Bhavesh February 14, 2009 at 2:15 pm #

Hi there.. Actually I figured it out after I installed bosspref and played around with my settings. Thanks though!!!!

• Simon Ng February 15, 2009 at 8:35 am #

@Bhavesh, great that you got the problem fixed. Do you mind sharing with me and other readers how you resolve the issue?

133. Bhavesh February 15, 2009 at 9:01 am #

Hi everyone! The easiest way was to use the wireless connection and get BossPref from cydia. From there you can manage the edge and 3g settings and reactivate them. The app has a set of instructions that will help you guide through it and reestablish the cellular Internet connection.

Hope that helps!

134. iyjo February 15, 2009 at 9:34 pm #

simon
    i jailbreaked ma iphone 3g 2.2.1(5h11) using quickpwn….how to unlock it?pls help

iyjo

135. Simon Ng February 15, 2009 at 9:59 pm #

@iyjo, currently there is no software unlock solution for iPhone firmware 2.2.1. Yellowsn0w, the software unlock solution for iPhone 3G, can only work with firmware 2.2. You may need to wait for a while until iPhone Dev Team releases an update.

136. IronMonkey February 16, 2009 at 1:41 am #

I jailbroke my 3g, 2.2.1 and I have ATT but it will not read my sim card, restored and jailbroke it a few times already but it still won’t read my sim. It’s just blank when the “att” logo suppose to be. plz help

137. iyjo February 16, 2009 at 11:48 am #

simon
    thanks…will wait for it to release

iyjo

138. rdubya February 22, 2009 at 12:22 am #

can someone please send me the correct file for quickpwn download that will work on my mac computer because i cant seem to find it.

139. lakhan lalwani March 1, 2009 at 4:42 pm #

hi,
    i had bought i phone 3g 16gb…
    it had version 2.2.1(5h11)…modern firmware 02.30.03…..
    can it get unlock…plz guide me through the solution….

140. chir@g March 4, 2009 at 6:06 pm #

hey simon. how i have bought am iphone 3g from the airtel officially in mumbai. now the firmware is 2.2.1. do i still have to d/l teh 2.2.1 firmware in step 2??
    after jailbreakign if there is a new software from apple will be able to ungrade it?
    lastly if i jailbreak and i go to online using edge from airtel wili get network problems as i did when my firmware was 2.2 adn was asked to upgrade by them.

141. natalia March 4, 2009 at 9:15 pm #

thanks u so much simon!
    before this i had problems with my carrier connection after i jb.
    so,i start all over and make sure you ACTIVATE your phone after updating firmware and before continuing to jb.
    thanks again and good luck!

142. Frank March 9, 2009 at 6:49 am #

Hello:

I tried to jailbreak my phone and everything appeared to be going well – until it never loaded. It sat on the apple load screen for at least an hour and intermittently vibrated… It never loaded – what did i do wrong and how can i try again and yield successful results? Thanks!

143. sunny March 11, 2009 at 8:20 am #

hi, simon ,,
    i accidentally updated to 2.2.1 my iphone 3g …is there any thing that i can use to unlock it ..by downgrading or any other way …plz help me

144. [email protected] March 14, 2009 at 11:14 pm #

Simon
    I am trying to jailbreak and unlock a 3g iPhone.
    At stage 9 above, I receive “Firmware error string” message.
    What do I do?

145. Mustafa Rassel March 15, 2009 at 7:21 pm #

Dear Simon,
    I simply do not have any language to express my thanks for you.
    I will be ever grateful to you for your wonderfull deed you are contributing for us.
    Today I have unlocked a iphone 3G as i did it twice for my iphone 2G before.
    It is really wonderful and a great experience to unlock a phone like iPhone.
    May Almighty Allah bless and help you in your personal needs.

• Simon Ng March 15, 2009 at 9:03 pm #

@Mustafa,

I’m so glad you and other readers find this blog useful. Thanks for all your kind words. It’s you and other readers’ appreciation that motivate me to continue contributing to iPhone community. Enjoy your “new” iPhone, it’s an amazing device!

146. Ben March 16, 2009 at 5:48 pm #

Im trying to jailbreak, but im stuck on the step that browses and verifys the firmware, it not doing anything, maybe im using the wrong firmware, how do i find out which one i need?

147. Shawn March 17, 2009 at 4:42 am #

My iphone was stuck on the rebooting screen, it keeps on restarting for like 30 mins or so won’t get to the home screen. :S anybody ran in to similar problems?
    there’s msg pop up in itune said i need to enter my passcode on my iphone before i can connect to itune. but i can’t even get to the passcode screen. what should i do :( can anybody please help?

148. RayGH March 17, 2009 at 7:03 pm #

@Shawn
    Are you using the original chip that came with your iPhone?
    You may need the original chip that came with the iPhone.

149. Hezha March 18, 2009 at 12:11 am #

Mr.Simon. you wrote this article and you didn’t warn us not to update modem firmware to 02.30.03 now I have done these steps..and now Im not able to downgrade modem firmware.. and i have no network ..(no signal) .. i think i have to through away my iPhone ..Thanks.so much

150. BenJi March 19, 2009 at 7:28 am #

My iphone already has firmware 2.2
    do I just run the QuickPwn start on instruction 6

151. Simon Ng March 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm #

@BenJi, the best is you restore to firmware 2.2 as this ensures your iPhone is rolled back to original factory setting.

152. Simon Ng March 19, 2009 at 10:45 pm #

@Hezha, you may overlook the introduction that has highlighted not to upgrade to firmware 2.2.1 if you plan for unlock. I’m sorry about that and will keep you update when yellowsn0w can unlock the baseband of 2.30.03.

153. Hezha March 20, 2009 at 5:28 am #

So should we wait? is there any hope to unlock my iphone 3g firmware 2.2.1 baseband 02.30.03 in future?

154. Nick March 20, 2009 at 7:45 am #

i try and open Quickpawn and get a message saying i must download .net framework v2.0.50727. where can i download this from?

155. Nick March 20, 2009 at 8:39 am #

ok so i downloaded framework and figured that out, but i seem to be stuck on “Wait for Iphone to connect to recovery mode” if i try and restart the process will it mess up phone? or is there a problem cause it wont connect?

156. Nick March 20, 2009 at 8:48 am #

nevermind to everything lol. thank you so much simon ^^ jailbroken and works perfect. <3!!!

157. Sophia March 21, 2009 at 8:00 pm #

Hi Simon! I have tried to jailbreak my phone and everything seems to be going on well. Now it sat on the apple load screen for a long time and keeps vibrating once in awhile. I have tried to switch it off and on again but my iPhone is still stuck at the apple load screen. Please help. Thanks!

• Simon Ng March 21, 2009 at 11:59 pm #

@Sophia, that’s weird. I suggest you to follow the instructions and redo the whole jailbreak again. It will probably work. Let me know if this works for you.

158. umer March 24, 2009 at 10:37 am #

Hi ther… I dwnlded the whole 2.2 firmware(the newest one) and after installing it my itunes says sim not recognized and iphone ofcourse has stopped working… before this 2.2 my iphone 3g was working fine… please help me

159. jason March 25, 2009 at 12:48 am #

Simon,

I’m bummed because I have several phones that I’m sending to friends overseas and my 3G phones all have 2.2.1 and baseband of 2.30.03. What are my options? Thanks!

• Simon Ng March 25, 2009 at 10:47 pm #

@jason,

So far, no software unlock solution for baseband 2.30.03 of iPhone 3G. The only option is to purchase SIM-card based solution to unlock iPhone 3G. You may google “Unlock iPhone 2.30″ to search for possible solution.

160. Sophia March 26, 2009 at 1:35 am #

Hi Simon.

Thanks for everything. My phone is alrite now. It was stuck at the apple load screen for an hour and after that it works like normal.

161. KiDD March 26, 2009 at 9:44 am #

Hi Simon, Hope All is Well.

Im soo NEW to all this tech stuff. But apparentyle i just totally screwed my iPhone. ive had it for about 3.5moths now (its a iPhone 3G it was given to me already unlocked, jail broken, w/ cydia, winterboard etc. and was working fine under Tmobile, theres also a sim adapter (the orange transparent card) behind the Tmobile simcard).. Well the other night i plugged it up to iTunes and it said my phone was out ouf date and that i should upgrade. I figured it was harmless n I let it upgrade my phone. And sadly it was relocked n everything was gone when it came back on. Now its obviously running on the new baseband 2.30.03 with version 2.2.1 (5H11). And apparently its unlockable based off what ppl are saying. But u seem very experienced in the matter and i was wondering if there was anything u suggest i could do. Is there anyway to backtrack or downgrade from the baseband 02.30.03? Or is there even anyway to unlock at all? Im lost. And phoneless :( Id Greatly appreciate your help. Thanks ALot ;)

162. Jason March 26, 2009 at 10:32 pm #

Instructions were precise and installation and jailbreak went smoothly thanx. This tutorial was awesome.

163. iyjo March 27, 2009 at 2:10 pm #

simon
    i am in firware 2.30.03,is baseband 2.30.0 and 2.30.3 the same?and i heard about sim unlocking for iphone 3g in ebay.how is it?will it work properly?is there any problem for phone?i am waiting for software unlock but its not released…..shall i use sim unlock?pls help me…..i dont know more abt it
    iyjo

• Simon Ng March 28, 2009 at 12:00 am #

@ivjo, I haven’t tried out those SIM unlock solutions. Some of them do work with iPhone 3g baseband 2.30.03. If you can’t wait for the software unlock solution, SIM solution is currently the only unlock option.

164. maria March 30, 2009 at 9:06 am #

does this work for 2.30 baseband?

165. maria March 30, 2009 at 9:16 am #

will this delete my contacts?

• Simon Ng March 30, 2009 at 11:15 pm #

@maria,

Yes, all your contacts will be removed during the jailbreak process. But you can backup all contacts via iTunes before jailbreak and restore it back.
      Regarding your questions about baseband 2.30, you can jailbreak it using QuickPwn but it can’t unlock your iPhone to use other carriers. So, if you do not need to unlock the iPhone, the jailbreak procedures can work for you.

166. Tim March 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm #

I tried to restore mine to firmware 2.2 but it keeps giving me error ‘1013’ after running. Any helps or suggestion?

The full message is “The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred”

167. Matt April 2, 2009 at 4:09 am #

I got a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) on the iPhone when trying to restore the 2.2 firmware from within iTunes – more details here and hopefully a solution eventually!

168. Gia April 4, 2009 at 10:38 pm #

Hi, i have an i iPhone 3G version 2.2 and i tried to jailbreak it with QuickPWN2.2.1 .I followed the process but when i finished my iPhone was not working,it is stuck with the apple logo and every 2mins vibrates also itunes doesnt recognise it. Please help me.

• Simon Ng April 4, 2009 at 11:32 pm #

@Gia, I suggest you to try the jailbreak again but with QuickPwn 2.2. Sometimes, a 2nd trial can fix all issues. Feel free to leave me message if you still encounter other issues.

169. Gia April 5, 2009 at 6:43 pm #

Hi Simon,firstly thanks for the quick response. I tried to jailbreak with QuickPWN 2.2 as you suggested but there was an ”Firmware error string” at the step 9.I also I tried again on QuickPWN 2.2.1 but although QuickPWN says that the process is successful after the iPhone restart nothing works.As i told you it stays open with apple logo and vibrates every two minutes,itunes doesnt recognise it as well.Any new suggestion?

170. GeorgePk April 8, 2009 at 8:58 pm #

Hi Simon.

I just received 2 iphones 3G factory unlocked with FW 2.0. I want to upgarde and jailbreak to 2.2.1. Do I use the itunes for the upgrade? and then use this guide? or is it better to download the firmware from the links in this guide?

What is the difference…taking into account that the phones are factory unlcocked?

Thanx

• Simon Ng April 9, 2009 at 8:18 am #

@GeorgePk,

As you’re already using a factory-unlocked iPhone, you can simply use iTunes to do the upgrade. But if you want to install Cydia / Installer on your iPhone (what so called jailbreak), you will need to follow the procedures in this post. Feel free to leave me comment if you have other questions.

171. GeorgePk April 10, 2009 at 1:55 am #

Thanx a lot Simon, all went perfectly!!!

172. haasan April 10, 2009 at 3:06 am #

when i restoring my iphone 3g firmware 2.2 and unknw error comes (1013) could nt restore….help me wat should i do..reply me as soon as possible

173. Mostafa April 10, 2009 at 10:46 am #

I restored my Iphone 3G and it was worked correctly

174. Shahied April 12, 2009 at 12:12 am #

I keep getting ‘firmware error string’ when QiuckPwn browse for firmware. I followed all the steps, more than once, but still cant win. Can anyone help me? I really want to jailbreak my iphone 3g.

Shahied

• Simon Ng April 13, 2009 at 5:09 pm #

@Shahied, please try to download the firmware again. This may resolve the error.

175. gaby April 15, 2009 at 5:32 am #

I also got an unknown error 1013 when I tried to downgrade to firmware 2.2 from my new iphone. Could you give me any advice on that? I tried to restored the phone 3 times.

176. harry April 16, 2009 at 11:02 pm #

HEllo Simon,

My Iphone 3G was unlocked and then some of my friend updated the software version on that. And after that it got locked. Can u suggest me what to do ? In the Itunes it is not showing any thing. Just as it is Locked

177. roger April 17, 2009 at 12:00 am #

what happened to gia
    scarry not being recognized by itunes

178. stephan April 19, 2009 at 10:55 pm #

Hallo,
    I have IPhone 3G , firmware 2.2.1, baseband 2.30.03, locked for T Mobile Germany.
    I have a Gevey-3G turbo Sim on it. Now it is open for all simcard but
    the 3G signal does not work.
    How can I jailbreak it to install other software like vnsea and how can I
    activate the 3G like UMTS signal?
    Can I use the Quickpwn-225-2.zip to jailbreak it
    Thanks in advance
    Stephan

179. stoffe April 26, 2009 at 9:17 pm #

thx i followed this guide and it worked perfectly now i got an jailbreaked telenor (swe) iphone 3g v. 2.2.1 :D

180. Marcos April 27, 2009 at 9:27 am #

thanks!!! this helped a ton…very user friendly and very thorough!!!

181. Jef April 27, 2009 at 5:04 pm #

Hi, Simon

I’ve got a Iphone 3G from Singtel (Singapore) it a factory unlocked set with a FW 2.0.1.. after that, I’ve done a upgrade the FW to 2.2.1 from iTunes.
    If I want to jailbreak the Iphone to 2.2.1 , can I just simply use only the tool Quickpwn 2.2.5-2 & follow the step accordingly as mention to this post….?

Thanx..

• Simon Ng April 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm #

@Jef, no problem as your iPhone is a factory unlocked. You can just use Quickpwn 2.2.5-2 to jailbreak iPhone 2.2.1.

182. stephan April 27, 2009 at 11:36 pm #

Hi, Simon,
    is it possible to have the 3G signal on a locked Iphone?
    I have a Gevey-3G turbo Sim on it. Now it is open for all simcard but
    the 3G signal does not work.
    Firmware 2.2.1, baseband 2.30.03, originally.
    Thanks for your help

183. skyo78 April 28, 2009 at 7:10 am #

For those who LOOSE SIGNAL after jailbreak.
    1. Restore again in itunes (by holding shift and clicking restore then selecting the previously downloaded firmware).
    2. After phone restores and itunes asks select treat AS NEW phone.
    3. Make sure on your phone you can see “phone activated” and your carrier logo and signal bars.
    4. Do the jailbreak process again, but this time at step 4 when it says “release the power button and hold home for 30 seconds”, literally count 30 seconds before releasing the home button,even if the process has moved on to the next step.
    Yellowsnow actually unlocks your phone to use with other sims, but if you want to continue using your sim, use this method
    One more thing to note : the sim card should be in the phone for the entire process
    Hope this helps

184. itay April 29, 2009 at 5:32 am #

Hi, I have an Hong Kong iPhone which is already unlocked. I have a question, I have itunes 8.1.1.10 installed, do I need to downgrade it? if so, do you know where I can find it (I wasn’t able to find it on file hippo)?

BTW, awesome blog! Thanks

• Simon Ng April 29, 2009 at 11:28 pm #

@itay, you can use iTunes 8.1.1 for the jailbreak. That should work too.

185. john April 30, 2009 at 6:08 am #

just followed the instructions and all seems to be fine thanks
    jhon

186. norbu May 2, 2009 at 2:31 pm #

i downgraded my iphone 3.0 beta 4 Fm to 2.2.1 after shift+restore & selected correct firmware its showed error i think its already downgraded then i opened quickpwn 2.2.5 it jailbroke well but i got no at&t signal bar even after connecting iphone 3g to itune? any idea or help would be great? i think problem is i activated my UDID no: when i was going to update to 3.0 firmware?

187. Mark May 2, 2009 at 7:46 pm #

Hi, I have iphone 3g ver 2.2.1 MF 02.30.03 its beed jailbreak today just following your guide. it is working perfectly fine. I use vista. thanks a lot…………. for you post

188. itay May 4, 2009 at 5:34 am #

THANKS!!!
    its working. BTW, I also purchased the Zago shield from a link in your site to show my appreciation :)

189. robert May 6, 2009 at 4:11 am #

I can’t seem to figure this out? I have a Iphone 3G jailbroken and on firmware 2.1…..How do i get it upgraded to 2.2 and Unlocked so that I have cydia and installer on 2.2.I’m a rogers customer
    I use windows (not Mac) Can someone please give me info

Is this possible? Been reading but i’m confused

190. skyo78 May 7, 2009 at 7:52 pm #

@norbu
    did u follow the instructions in my previous post?

191. skyo78 May 7, 2009 at 8:26 pm #

@robert
    u need to connect your phone to itunes and let itunes search for an update, if it finds it then you just let itunes upgrade your phone. After itunes upgrades your phone to 2.2 follow the instructions for iphone 2.2 jailbreak provided above.
    Or you can download the 2.2 software and quickpwn from the links provided by simon at the top of this page, follow the instructions and you are good to go.
    If you encounter problems during the jailbreak process then you can post specific questions here and we will be glad to help

192. MXCorp May 9, 2009 at 2:27 am #

@Simon: THANKS man, my 3G is now fully functional. I had a 1.1.4 with TurboSIM, and I accidentaly upgraded to 2.2 instead of 2.1.

The only problem I had was ACTIVATING the phone as per the instructions, but I just used quickpwn to jailbreak, and Voila! no activation was required, now i can sync with iTunes and I no longer need the TurboSIM, my iphone 3G is fully unlocked :)

193. MXCorp May 9, 2009 at 2:28 am #

BTW…the UNLOCKING was with yellowsn0w obviously…

194. dylan May 10, 2009 at 1:44 am #

Hi peeps…thanks for the unlock…its been great man… but i am having some problem now. my current firmware is 2.2.1 and wanting to unlock my 3G phone. but i couldnt restore the firmware to 2.2. it just keeps saying restore failed. any advise? desperately needs help…

• Simon Ng May 11, 2009 at 11:53 pm #

@dylan, please check out 3G Fuzzyband downgrader. This app can help you downgrade the baseband and make unlock iPhone 3G on firmware 2.2.1 possible.

195. Josie May 10, 2009 at 1:48 am #

After reading a lot of jb guides, I found your step-by-step guide very user-friendly and helpful.

I am a newbie to Iphone 3G world here. I just bought an I-Phone (3G) with version 2.2.1 (5H11) and modem firmware 02.30.03. I would like to jailbreak the iphone but not unlock it. Before I jail-break the Iphone, I am wondering if the Iphone would get unlocked if I follow your step-by-step guide above and whether QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 would change any original firmware setting. If I don’t want to unlock it, which step in your guide should I skip?

Thanks!

Josie

196. CL May 12, 2009 at 2:18 pm #

I restored my jailbroke phone from a serious error to firmware 2.2.1, attempts have been made to jailbreak it again but not success. The phone just kept rebooting and showing the apple logo only. Any serious error you may reckon during jailbreaking?
    Need your advise! Thanks.
    CL

• Simon Ng May 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm #

@CL, I experienced this reboot error before. What I did is to jailbreak the iPhone from step 1 again.

197. Nickleous May 13, 2009 at 3:39 pm #

Just had to upgrade my.net framework to v2.0 50727 and was good to go!

198. CL May 14, 2009 at 1:04 am #

Bingo after another two trial.
    Thanks.

199. TMY May 14, 2009 at 4:16 am #

Thank you for taking the time to share this jailbreaking/unlock programme. I downloaded the firmware for the 3G2.2.1 version, but cannot find the .ipsw file in the zipped folder. Anyone has this problem?

• Simon Ng May 14, 2009 at 11:33 pm #

@TMY, are you using Safari to download? Safari will automatically unzip the IPSW. I suggest you to use Firefox to save the file.

200. TMY May 15, 2009 at 5:16 am #

Ahh, ok downloaded via safari, strange though DL using IE doesnt work. Now , will try to jailbreak during the weekend…. keeping you guys posted on the progress *crosses finger*

PS I so like Cydia apps, had them on the original iPhone, now want it for the 3G model. Good job, Simon.

201. Musa May 15, 2009 at 3:19 pm #

I have been trying to restore/update an iphone that is stuck in recovery mode to 2.1 and/or 2.2 with no luck. I keep getting the error that ‘an unknown error occurred and the iphone was unable to restore (1013)’. My only option is to upgrade to 2.2.1 and then downgrade the baseband. I understand that once upgraded to 2.2.1 you can downgrade the baseband and make an unlock possible. Is this true? If so please can you get me a link to help out?
    Thanks.
    Musa.

202. Musa May 15, 2009 at 3:33 pm #

Nevermind I will not be updating to 2.2.1 as I have learned you can not unlock that yet. So I am forced to stay with 2.2. The only problem is that I can not even get this firmware to load from Itunes. It just keep saying that it is not able to load for an unknown reason. it gives a code f 1013. Please help!!!!

203. TMY May 15, 2009 at 5:15 pm #

OK nice smooth jailbreak process. Slight hitch , which I remedied, I will explain below. I think I would like to share my experience during the process:

a) Download the firmware via safari, IE didnt work for me.
    b) Backup your phone with iTunes prior to the process, so it can restore your data later, songs, contacts, even sms.
    c) Remove all other USB devices other than your iphone cord and probably switch off any internet hogging apps like games, chat windows, etc.
    d) During DFU mode, the button pressing is very sudden and quick, pay attention. Sequence is press home button 5s, press on/off button w/o releasing home 10s, release on/off button, while still holding home 30s. Computer prompts you quickly.
    e) I got that phone stuck on apple logo like for 2-3 mins, didnt panic instead reconnected the iphone, reopened iTunes, and it somehow synced.

Hope that helps.

PS Good job here Simon!!

204. Fajr May 16, 2009 at 4:56 am #

Please help.
    I have firmware 2.2 and unlock, I tried to jailbreak to install Cydia (since I need to install SMS program, the default sms from iPhone is suck, cannot ‘forward’ sms etc)
    however after tried 5 times, I always stuck is step no 12. it stays there forever.. it was one or two times passed the Recovery mode.. but always error whikle Jailbreaking process: “not following the above process / or USB/device connection error???” . I’m so frustrated, since it takes very long to restore again and again.
    Any suggestion, where to get the SMS program which can ‘forward sms’ without installing Cydia, since it is impossible for me to jailbreak my unlock phone :((

205. Ryan May 16, 2009 at 7:20 am #

I jailbroke it and got a issue and now it wont go past the apple logo (well pinapple for me). i need help!!!! hurry

206. Musa May 16, 2009 at 7:21 am #

Ok I have went ahead with the 2.2.1 as I am going to wait for the unlock. However I now have a new problem. The iphone after bein jailbroken will turn off if i select the camera app. It will just reset and turn back on. Also if I let it sit long enough (for about 5 minutes) it will also reset. However if there is a song playing it does not reset.
    What on Earth is going on here?
    Can anybody help me?
    Musa

207. Ryan May 16, 2009 at 7:28 am #

Never mind i just unpuggged it and replugged it waited a while and it works again sorry.

208. jason May 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm #

hi i have itunes version 8.1.1.10 can i use this to jailbreak my iphone 3g 2.2.1 ? i will just follow all the steps to jailbreak it?
    thank you!!!

• Simon Ng May 18, 2009 at 9:50 pm #

@jason, it should work on iTunes 8.1. Simply follow the same procedures for the jailbreak.

209. Winter May 20, 2009 at 4:03 am #

Автор, а скажите а куда написать по поводу обмена ссылок (на какое мыло)?

210. christopher May 22, 2009 at 12:07 pm #

i’m just bought my iphone, and downloaded your softwares.. after extracting quickpawn to my comp, your quickpawn does not launch on my computer.. don’t know what to do? i got windows xp..

211. christopher May 22, 2009 at 12:32 pm #

and i also tried downloading quicpawn again then launch it… it really does not do anything.. please hel.. really want to jailbreak my phone my firmware is 2.2.1

212. christopher May 22, 2009 at 12:32 pm #

and i also tried downloading quicpawn again then launch it… it really does not do anything.. please help me.. really want to jailbreak my phone, my firmware is 2.2.1

213. Dennis May 23, 2009 at 8:19 am #

Can i jailbreak my 3g iphone firmware 2.3
    and how?
    thx

Dennis

• Simon Ng May 23, 2009 at 8:52 am #

@Dennis, are you talking about iPhone 3.0? There is no firmware version 2.3.

214. christopher May 24, 2009 at 12:21 am #

ei simon, any suggestion on my problem? quickpawn does not really load on my computer.. im using xp, itunes 8.1 and iphone 3g firmware 2.2.1.. please help..

• Simon Ng May 24, 2009 at 12:54 am #

@christopher, for Winxp, you need to install .Net framework 2.0 (or up) first. This is one of the requirements for launching QuickPwn.

215. christopher May 24, 2009 at 1:01 am #

ok i’ll try to do that.. thanks.. ill update later..

216. Артем May 24, 2009 at 5:08 pm #

Приятно конечно думать, что остались действительно стоящие блоги в этой мусорке рейтинга Яши. Ваш – один из таких. Спасибо!

217. lawrence May 25, 2009 at 4:23 am #

i bought a brand new iphone 3G on o2 network it came on 2.2.1 framework….
    i did some reading and thought id try downgrading to 2.2 so id be able to unlock it however it didnt work during itunes firmware install 2.2 giving an error so i gave up went back to the original 2.2.1 then lurked in my garden hunting signal…. i sed airplane on then off to hunt signal ( im livin in a weak zone for o2 atm..) and it activated the iphone. Then using windows and quickpwn followed onscreen steps and before i knew it i had done it…. i have yet to test my new toys many features but all seems to b working well………..

in a nutshell it was a piece of cake to do it,,, and also i am now aware dat even if u manage to down grade to 2.2 from 2.2.1 youll not be able to unlock ur phone atm because having it on 2.2.1 changes your baseband !!!!! so many thanks for this helpful blog and good luck to all you others! peace

218. JEDDDD May 25, 2009 at 11:36 am #

I just got the 2.2 running and the battery life is horrible, on the 2nd gen phone the battery life was great and i left wifi on all the time. Anyone else having the same issue? Is 2.2.1 worth the risk?

219. Fajr May 25, 2009 at 3:46 pm #

Please help.
    however after tried 5 times, I always stuck is step no 12. it stays there forever.. it was one or two times passed the Recovery mode.. but always error whikle Jailbreaking process: “not following the above process / or USB/device connection error???” . I’m using Vista

220. Blackstud007 May 26, 2009 at 11:22 pm #

Thank you Simon for everything. Please after jailbreaken my iPhone 3G i now have Bootloader Version: 06.02….Baseband Version : 02.30.03 and iPhone OS version : 2.2.1
    My problem is that my sim is not recognise and i tried to use Fuzzyband it says it can only work on 05.08 Baseband bootloader.

Please i need your help

• Simon Ng May 27, 2009 at 12:26 am #

@Blackstud007, at the mean time, there is no software solution to unlock iPhone 3G with bootloader 06.02 and baseband 02.30.03. You may consider to purchase those SIM based solution for unlock.

221. sals May 27, 2009 at 9:06 pm #

hey i just want to ask this tutorial works for iphone version 2.2.1 as well right? also, are there any disadvantages to jailbreaking? does it ever cause it to crash and stuff?

222. Joan May 29, 2009 at 2:19 am #

Your site is great! I need some help. I lost the icon for the app store on my iPhone. I restored the phone, but it didn’t come back on. Is there a way to add it back in without taking the phone to the apple store?

223. ruth May 29, 2009 at 8:41 am #

hello!
    i’ve just bought iPhone 3g with firmware 2.30.03, version 2.2.1. i want to install cydia on my iPhone. is this guide applicable to my iphone?

• Simon Ng May 29, 2009 at 9:23 am #

@ruth,

Yes, this is the guide for iPhone 3G jailbreak and cydia installation.

• ruth June 1, 2009 at 3:44 am #

simon, i’ve downloaded quickpwn so many times and extract the files. but upon opening the file it always says “failed to initialize application”. the firmware was also downloaded and extracted but upon restoring it on my itunes, i can’t locate the “ipsw”file of the same. im so tired reading and trying the guidelines over and over again to no avail. please help me!

224. Blackstud007 May 29, 2009 at 7:50 pm #

@Simonn, Thank you so much for your help. I want t ask if my SIM will work back to normal if i change from 2.2.1 to 2.2 because it was on 2.2 when i bought my iphone and it recognised my SIM and when i clicked update iphone on itunes and turned to 2.2.1 thats it stopped the recognition.

Also how can i change back to 2.2

Thank you once again.

225. patupat May 30, 2009 at 2:56 am #

yay… i jailbroke my iphone ty for the instructions… yaY

226. Caleb May 30, 2009 at 11:31 am #

Ive downloaded quickpwn for windows after i extract the file and try to run it to start the jailbreak it gives me a error saying .NET Initialization Framework Error v2.0.50727.
    Can you help me with this THANKS

• Simon Ng May 31, 2009 at 9:32 pm #

@Caleb, please download and install .Net Framework (2.0 or up) before using QuickPwn.

227. Леонтий June 1, 2009 at 2:10 am #

Да уж… Жизнь – она как вождение велосипеда. Чтобы сохранить равновесие, ты должен двигаться.

228. John Penn June 5, 2009 at 8:26 am #

OK im at step 12 and it not doing nothing what do i do? not telling me to hold nothing down??? do i update my carrier?

229. John Penn June 5, 2009 at 8:27 am #

how long does it take?

230. John Penn June 5, 2009 at 10:29 pm #

Ok i did it :) i had the newest itunes i just downgraded and it worked :) thanks everyone that help!!!!!

231. David June 6, 2009 at 8:36 am #

hi,
    I saw some earlier posts about being stuck at “Wait for your Iphone to connect in Recovery mode”. I too had this problem. What i did was I placed the IPSW file (firmware) in the same folder as the QwkPwn. Before I had them in separate folders and it just got stuck. Once I put them in the same folders it was very fast. Hope this helps those who may have experienced the same.
    Happy Jailbreaking!!

• Aru Tamhane June 7, 2009 at 1:29 am #

The two programs r in the same folder..still is stalling..any suggestions??

• John Penn June 7, 2009 at 3:01 am #

what itunes do you have? You have to have the 8.0.2!!!

232. David June 7, 2009 at 5:29 am #

be sure to open the QwkPwn folder where the application is and place the IPSW file inside as if it were part of the directory and im using 8.0.2. this is what worked for me. im also using vista.

• Aru June 7, 2009 at 7:18 am #

I have put the IPSW file inside the qwkpwn folder ..still nothing has changed..:( i have downgraded to itunes 8.0.2…now what? Simon..any suggestions?

• Simon Ng June 7, 2009 at 6:00 pm #

@Aru, you can check out this post for possible solution.

• Aru June 9, 2009 at 2:20 am #

Thanks Simon,
          Was finally successful at jaibreaking the iphone..would also like to unlock the iphone 3G (2.2.1) too so that I can use it in India , but that is a story for another day I think..
          I had to change computers..went on to windows XP and itunes 8.02, put it all in the same folder,..and then it worked like a dream..I spent 2 1/2 days to finally arrive at this solution..Hope I can save someone elses time and effort!
          Thanks for all Ur help!
          Aru

233. David June 7, 2009 at 6:02 am #

one other thing that was interesting is that when i downloaded the IPSW firmware in IE8 it was a zip folder (this didn’t work for me). then i read in a post where someone suggested to use mozilla and i did that, then it downloaded as a file (this worked for me). i downloaded from the same source.

234. Graemac June 10, 2009 at 5:45 am #

Hi Simon, great tutorial.

Having a problem though. I have managed to Jailbreak fine, however once i have installed yellosn0w and restart the phone i get ‘No Service’ instead of the Vodafone simcard that i have in!
    I did not know how to activate in step 6, as when i connected to iTunes it told me that the simcard was not compatible (something like that)
    Version: 2.2 (5G77)
    Modem Firmware: 02.28.00
    iPhone 3G

Please help!! Been at this for days now!!

Thanks!!

235. Doug June 11, 2009 at 11:38 pm #

The carrier thing got me as well. Just wait for it before launching the program to jailbreak it. I had to do it 3 times. But dont worry, you can always reflash and start over. Also note for reference; Apps I bought I thought I lost. But if you go to ‘rebuy’ them in iTunes store…it remembers you and does not make you repurchase them.

Thanks for pulling this together appreciate it!

• Graemac June 16, 2009 at 7:59 pm #

Hi Doug, im not sure what you mean. Wait for what?

I had already jailbroken it then put the vodafone simcard in and did yellowsn0w restarted it and still no luck. The ‘no service’ displays after 10-30 mins.

Really annoying me now!! I hope this is all still available for the 3.0 update!!

236. samboy23 June 13, 2009 at 9:06 am #

Hi simon, I was able to download QuickPwn 225-2(2) and even downloaded the same file from QuickPwn site itself but it seems that as I click on its .exe Windows flashes QckPwn has stopped working… A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and will notify you of solutions. Any remedy… thanks

237. Chris June 14, 2009 at 2:46 am #

Hi simon, great tutorial. I have the 2g iphone, which this tutorial is also supposed to work for. I do every step, but it will never get past the “waiting for iphone to connect in recovery mode” step. I’ve tried several times, and can never get past this step. . it’s like it just freezes every time and won’t ever prompt me to “hold down the home button” or anything else. Any advice?

• Simon Ng June 14, 2009 at 9:30 pm #

@Chris, you may take a look at this post and see if you can get the problems solved.

238. Lou88 June 16, 2009 at 7:32 am #

HELP!
    first of all this happens to be te most complete guide to jailbreak iphone, congrats;
    i just need to know something:

Step 14, when you finish, how long does it take for an iphone to reboot in its newly modified state? i’ve been in this step for 1 hour

239. Jad June 16, 2009 at 11:05 am #

I red most of those posts and I Really want to jailbreak it
    But the problem is:
    – I have like my phone since 6 months, it’s activated and everything
    i’m just concerned that after i jailbreak it will i lose everything i have on my iphone ?
    – After i jailbreak it, can i Undo it ?
    – What does the unlock do for the Iphone really ?
    – If i’m stuck can i just cancel any process and redo it or would that cause problems ?

240. JoJo June 16, 2009 at 12:53 pm #

Hi Simon, I keep trying to restore my iphone to 2.2, but receive an error 1013 each time I do it. I accidently uploaded the latest version of 2.2.1 (my iphone was originally this), but it uploaded the 2.30.03 baseband. Help! I am stuck and writing in iphone language is confusing for me!
    Thanks in advance. Your blog is definitely helpful.
    Cheers,
    Jo

241. Filipe June 17, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

Simon,
    Your blog is really cool and instructive, but in this special case wouldn´t hurt to advice at beginning that TurboSim users MUSTN´T try to jailbreak risking to have problems with the iPhone activation.
    My salvation was that I had a AT&T simcard for the activation (even deactivaded).

Best regards,
    Filipe

242. Dave June 22, 2009 at 7:01 pm #

Ok im so confused, will i be able to jailbreak and unlock my 3G iphone with 2.2.1 firmware by doing this? And if not can i downgrade to 2.2 somehow and then jailbreak/unlock from there?

243. Alwyn June 26, 2009 at 8:44 am #

Simon,

I’ve just upgraded my iphone 3g to ver 3.0 . Can we use the same jailbreak method?

244. haovo July 29, 2009 at 7:37 am #

what sim card can i use for this unlock?
    Can i use Tmoble sim card for this unlock?
    thanks

• Simon Ng July 29, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

@haovo, ultrasn0w can unlock most sim cards. And, it should work with t-mobile. But if you’re using t-mobile US, make sure you turn off 3G service to unlock. For details about the unlock, you can refer to this guide.

245. Tejas July 30, 2009 at 12:22 am #

I have a iphone 3G with version 3.0 (7A341) Model MB496X Modem Firmware 04.26.08 It is locked to a network (Telstra Australia) and I want to unlock it to use India SIM Card.

I have a Mac to unlock the iphone. Could you please point me to the right guides to unlock my iPhone 3G? All the guides above dont discuss Firmware version 3.0..so i am worried about how to go about unlocking it .

My phone is basically useless now and your help will be very much aprpeciated to make it live again.

Thanks very much
    Tejas

• Simon Ng July 30, 2009 at 12:30 am #

@Tejas, you can follow the instructions in this guide to unlock your iPhone 3G.

246. Tejas July 30, 2009 at 2:53 am #

Hi Simon

Thank you very much! It worked perfect for my phone !

Tejas

247. haovo July 30, 2009 at 3:42 am #

hi Simon
    thanks for your help.
    but i have problem when insert sim card.
    i have thru step5, it is stop here and require “insert sim card”, and i insert T-moble sim card. window note: not activate sim card.
    i don’t know what i will continoun for this process.
    note: i am not back for turnoff 3G. how can i do for now? please let me know, thanks

• Simon Ng July 30, 2009 at 11:59 pm #

@haovo, can you please refer to this guide and go over the jailbreak process again?

248. hao August 8, 2009 at 12:25 pm #

how to download ultrasn0w?
    on screen my iphone not show cydia icon.
    please me know

• Simon Ng August 8, 2009 at 10:55 pm #

@Hao, after jailbreak, cydia should be installed. Did you check the “Add cydia” box in step 10? If not, please go through the procedures from step 1 again.

249. Dee August 11, 2009 at 9:13 am #

quick question…once you have jailbroken the iphone 3G, are you actually able to use the iphone and go on cydia without having a SIM card inserted.. Because i have one ordered on the way and i have a T-Mobile SIM … I had a 2g and without a sim it would not let you into the phone

250. Ron October 6, 2009 at 4:19 am #

Hi Tony,

I am just confused – once i perform entire step on iphone 3g – will it be jailbroken or Unlocked or both….

and want to know difference in both. Also which is the latest firmware on iphone 3g these days (i know 3.1 cant be broken, is this true).

Do let me know your views.

R

251. Ron October 6, 2009 at 4:25 am #

Sorry my post was for SImon…

Also simon when i click on Download QuickPwn 2.1 it is not connecting me to that site – it throws an error

R

• Simon Ng October 6, 2009 at 11:40 pm #

@Ron, Quickpwn is not up-to-date. I suggest you to use redsn0w to upgrade and jailbreak iPhone 3.0.

252. Philips Jon October 18, 2009 at 4:18 am #

we need to tell AT&T to stop hold Iphone on ther service so how going follow me today im so sad im try to buy iphone AT&T make it hard

253. Philips Jon October 18, 2009 at 4:19 am #

we need to tell AT&T to stop hold Iphone on ther service so how u going follow me today im so sad im try to buy iphone AT&T make it hard

254. eugene December 8, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

hi, is the steps applicable with iphone 3Gs? with globe line

• Simon Ng December 8, 2009 at 8:56 pm #

@eugene, for iPhone 3GS, please use blackra1n to jailbreak. You can find the complete guide here.

255. Janki July 5, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

Hi Simon, I want to unlock my iphone 3g to T – Mobile but how do i know whether or not it is on firmware 2.1??????????

256. Janki July 5, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

PLEASE HELP! i have no idea what to doo and i really need to unlock my phone. I dont know whether or not it is on firmwire 2.1 or not??? help!

257. Janki July 6, 2010 at 3:47 am #

Thank you Simon.

258. Gertude Stmichel February 27, 2012 at 1:55 am #

SOLUTION: Just use VLC! trust me it works with almost everything!

1. Screenshots on an iphone - Page 4 - AVForums.com - December 22, 2008

[...] If anyone is a bit daunted by jailbreaking, dont be, its very simple, use this: Complete Guide: Jailbreak iPhone 3G 2.1 using QuickPwn (For Windows) [Updated for firmware 2.2] | Si… If you encounter any problems you can always restore in itunes. I would say make sure you create [...]

2. 3g unlocked and jailbroken! hello 2009 « Fattydakid’s Weblog - January 6, 2009

[...] http://www.simonblog.com/2008/10/16/complete-guide-jailbreak-iphone-3g-firmware-21-using-quickpwn-fo… [...]

3. Technology Development » Blog Archive » iPhone 3G Jailbreak Guide Updated for Firmware 2.2.1 - February 9, 2009

[...] Complete Guide: Jailbreak iPhone 3G 2.2 using QuickPwn (For Windows) [Updated for firmware 2.2.1] [...]

4. How to jailbreak and unlock ipod touch and iphone - www.clarkstyx.com - May 23, 2009

[...] just recently upgraded the firmware of my ipod touch to 2.2.1. Step by step procedures can be found here. That is only the first step. You will notice that cydia and installer is added through your home [...]