Ever thought of playing classic arcade games such as Street Fighter, 1943 or Final Fight on your iPhone? Developer from Zodttd.com released the infamous Mame port for iPhone and iPod with firmware 2.x support. MAME is a Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator that emulates the hardware of the original machine that the game is built with. With such emulation, Mame4iPhone lets you run arcade game on iPhone. Games for Mame is often known as ROM images. Presently, over 2000 arcade games are supported. Zodttd.com puts up the whole list of games supported by Mame4iPhone. You can check out the complete list here.
How to play games using Mame4iPhone
- As always, this is a privilege for jailbreak iPhone. You can download and install Mame4iphone through Cydia (with ZodTTD repository).
- Transfer ROM images (in zip format) to iPhone via SSH. All ROM images should be put under /var/mobile/Media/ROMs/MAME/roms. (If you do not know how to use SSH to transfer files to iPhone, you can refer to this post)
- Once you got the ROM transferred, launch Mame4iPhone and your ROM image will be listed.
- Tap on the ROM image (i.e. zip file) to load the game.
- Once the game is loaded, it’ll ask you to press OK. Use the on-screen controller, tap right -> left and then right -> left to press OK.
- Last, insert coin (by tapping on the tiny button at the bottom of controller) and play on!
As Zodttd.com mentioned, by default, the sound is turned off. You need to slide the volume slider to the right to turn on the volume. Where do you download the ROM image? It’s not very appropriate to disclose it here as some of the games may have copyright issue. But you can easily do a search in Google to find it out.