I use Google Calendar to schedule my meeting or appointments. And, at the same time, I also use your iPhone’s built-in Calendar to do the same. If you’re like me, you probably are looking for solution to synchronize iPhone Calendar with Google Calendar.
Before I upgrade my iPhone to firmware 2.0, one way to achieve the synchronization is to first synchronize your Google Calendar with Windows Outlook or Mac’s iCal. And then, you use iTunes to synchronize the calendar with iPhone’s Calendar. This approach does work but it’s not the ideal way I want. I thought anyone who needs this kind of calendar synchronization, expects to synchronize the calendar on-the-go and without the needs to connect to iTunes.
NuevaSync makes this happen on iPhone 2.0. As you may know, one of highlights of iPhone 2.0 is the support of enterprise. iPhone can connect to Microsoft Exchange to sync email or calendar event. NuevaSync is trying to provide a free Exchange server for you that you can now synchronize your iPhone calendar with Google one wirelessly and on-the-go. Any new event you add into the iPhone calendar will be uploaded to Google Calendar. The same, you add a new appointment in Google Calendar. NeuvaSync will push it back to your iPhone. Pretty great, right? Yes, I tried using the service for a couple of days. That’s quite good for a free service and BETA product.
Interested in NuevaSync? Okay, here comes to the “HOW”. How can you configure your iPhone to do the synchronization. As usual, I’ll guide you through the steps.
Register with NuevaSync
1. First, register your account at NuevaSync
2. Once complete the registration, NuevaSync will send you a confirmation email. Follow the URL in the email and continue to setup the account.
3. Click “Change” on Calendar and select “Google” to enable synchronization.
4. Continue follow the URL to configure your NuevaSync account. Fill in your Google email address and click “Request account access”. You’ll then be directed to Google’s webpage to grant access. When complete, you’ll see a green light for Calendar Sync.
Configure your iPhone Calendar
5. Next, you’ll have to configure your iPhone. Go to “Settings”. Then select “Mail, Contacts, Calendar”. Next, tap “Add Account” and select “Microsoft Exchange”
6. Under Email, type in your Google email address. Under username, type in your user name registered under NuevaSync. Also, type in your password of your NuevaSync account. Also, type “Google Calendar” for the description. Then tap “Next”.
7. Next, it’s prompted with “Unable to verify certificate” warning. That’s OK. Just accept it. The certificate should be alright.
8. Next, you’ll find a new “Server” field available. Then type “www.nuevasync.com” for “Server” field.
Then tap “Next” and turn off “Mail”. Also you may turn off any of the functions you don’t want to sync.
Tap “Save” to save the settings. And, confirm “Sync”.
9. Finally, go back to “Mail,Contacts,Calendar” setting. Tap “Time Zone Support” and turn off “Time Zone Support”.
Let’s try it out…
Now, your iPhone should be ready to synchronize with Google Calendar. Let try it out… Try add an event in iPhone Calendar. Once you save the event in iPhone. It’ll be sync back to Google Calendar.
Why it doesn’t work…
You may have wait for more than several minutes, but you still find that the iPhone calendar does not sync with Google. Try this… Turn off and on the Calendar sync. iPhone will then try to sync with Google calendar again. Mostly, this should fix the synchronization problems.