Last time, I shared about how we can use the iPhone to remote control iTunes. Now take a step forward and see how we can use iPhone to remote control your computer (Windows / Mac) completely. MochaSoft developed an iPhone application that connects to any VNC server (a remote desktop software, if you have not heard of it) using your iPhone. This application is available in Apple’s AppStore, so you do not a Jailbreak to use this application. Any iPhone user can install it, as long as you’re using iPhone firmware 2.0.
As usual, I’ll go over with you step-by-step to remote control your PC/Mac. For Mac user, Mac OS X comes with a built-in feature to share the desktop, so you do not need to install any external program. For Windows user, you may already heard of VNC. You need to install this program before allowing your iPhone to control your computer.
On your Mac
1. Go to System Preferences and click on “Sharing”
2. Enable “Apple Remote Desktop” by clicking the “Start” button.
3. Next, type a password for viewer to control the desktop. (Remember to choose a secure password!)
Okay, that’s all for Mac! Now your Mac is accepting remote connection (i.e. iPhone) and you can jump to the iPhone procedures.
On your Windows
1. Download VNC from Real VNC and install it.
2. During installation, select to start VNC in service mode. This will launch VNC when your Windows boots up. (If you don’t like you can deselect this option, but you need to launch VNC server manually).
3. Next, you’re prompted to configure VNC server properties. Leave all settings as default and click “Configure” to set your VNC server password. As always, choose a secure password!
After installation, VNC server is already running and waiting for your iPhone’s connection. If you have problems in launching VNC server in service mode, you can start it manually using User mode (Start button -> Real VNC -> VNC Server 4 (user-mode) -> Run VNC Server).
On your iPhone
1. Install Mocha VNC Lite (it’s free!) from AppStore
2. Launch VNC lite and you’ll see a giant power button.
3. Click “Connect” button and tap on any of the “not used” computer
4. Next, fill in your IP address of your computer and your VNC password you can just configure. You can leave the VNC server port to 5900.
5. After that, click “Connect” button to make connection to the computer
And waiting a few seconds…. Here you are at your Mac or Windows
To disconnect from your computer, you can tap the “+” button at the bottom of screen and select “Disconnect”.