As you know, I have upgraded my iPhone to 2.0. One application that I miss much is the Installer application, which is not yet ready for iPhone 2.0. If you own a Jailbreak iPhone with lower firmware version, you should know there are ample *free* applications for you to download and play with. Now, Installer is back. Installer 4.0 BETA is now available on iPhone 2.0 and I expect it’ll be released soon. If you’re eager to try out, this post will guide you through the installation. However, don’t expect too much. Installer 4.0 is still in BETA stage and the application for download is limited.
For Windows User
1. (Optional) Download and install WinSCP. And, install OpenSSH on your iPhone if you haven’t done so.
2. Download Installer 4.0 for iPhone and extract it to a temp folder
3. Start WinSCP and connect to your iPhone using WinSCP. You can logon the iPhone using “root”. And the password is “alpine”. You can refer to my earlier post if you’re not familiar with SSH.
4. Once connected, you can browse the iPhone folder. Copy the “Installer.app” folder that you just extracted in step 2 to “/Applications” folder on iPhone
5. Then you need to change the access right of that folder. In WinSCP menu, click “Commands” -> “Open Terminal”
6. Enter “chmod -R 777 /Applications/Installer.app” and click “Execute” to run the command. After that, enter “chmod a+srx /Applications/Installer.app/Installer” and click “Execute” again.
7. Okay, that’s it! Now please power off your iPhone and start it up again. You will then find Installer 4.0 right there.
For Mac User
For Mac user, you can use the similar steps to install Installer 4.0. But you do not need external program. Mac OS X already got what we need.
1. Download Installer 4.0 for iPhone and extract it to Desktop
2. Open terminal and change directory to desktop
3. Type “scp -r Installer.app root@
4. Next, you need to SSH to your iPhone. Type “ssh root@
5. Now, you’re in the iPhone. Type “chmod -R 777 /Applications/Installer.app” and press ENTER. Then type “chmod a+srx /Applications/Installer.app/Installer” and ENTER.
6. Okay, you’re now ready to restart the iPhone and enjoy Installer.